Aatrox Build Guide by GizmoGear
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Your Defensive Choices
Your Offensive Choices (IF AHEAD AND VS DUMB DUMBS
if you ever get enough gold and full build replace
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Threats to Aatrox with this build
|Lissandra||Aatrox does very well vs AP mages. Just rush Maw and W sustain in lane. When she runs out of mana jump on her for a easy kill.|
|Vladimir||One of the EASIEST champions Aatrox can vs. Go Hexdrinker and kill him. Once his W is on CD you need to go ALL IN on him and kill him. He has 0 mobility! Take ignite in lane.|
|Yorick||Your sustain triumphs his and he becomes very useless as the game progresses. When he runs oom or over extends all in him for a easy kill.|
Thanks to Searz for the awesome guide format! You can find it here.
Hi I am Darkin Messiah. I am currently a Aatrox main with 150+ games with over a 55% win rate in platinum elo. I am here to help you learn about my favorite champion and learn how to play him. If you wish you can add me on the NA server and ask me any questions you have on Aatrox. I will duo with anyone plat or higher (maybe gold 1 if I think your good.)
(for any abbreviations you don't understand)
Pros / Cons
+ High sustain
+ Very good Early to Mid game
+ Amazing split pusher
+ Built in Guardian Angel
+ Offers Crowd Control
+ Built in attack speed with his kit
The Strengths of Aatrox
The Weaknesses of Aatrox
- Crowd-Control destroys him
- Difficult to master
- Auto attack reliant
- must build tank to become tanky
- Highly focused sadly
- Needs a lot of Gold
I feel that 21/9/0 is the best choice for Aatrox as he is a fighter and a strong early game champion. This will help his early game snowballing potential.
Main rune set
Max your E first as it deals magic damage, good early game damage, and has a good slow. I would then max your W for the sustain and the extra damage on your 3rd auto attack. Last of all I would max Q last as it doesnt offer much in leveling it up other than CD and a bit of damage. Like always max your ultimate at 6/11/16!
I would max W first if I were going against a squishy weak laner that I can abuse and get free kills as your W will hit like a truck early game easily popping 200 hp at the start of the game. Then max E and so on.
- This passive is a built in Guardian Angel that you can use to bait enemies, tower dive, or even recover from a mistake. I find myself getting many kills against stupid people trying to tower dive me when I have my passive up and/ or if they are hiding under tower at 100 hp thinking that if I tower dive them the turret will save them.
- Try to keep your blood well full as it restores your HP when you die (if it is up). It also gives you free attack speed.
- At level 2 you should go in with a 3rd strike Blood Price and your Q, then auto attacking and igniting for first blood or to blow their summoners.
- Use the carefully as it has mediocre range and can be interrupted by displacements.
Blood Thirst/Blood Price
Blood Price is your main damage tool. Every 3rd strike you will do bonus AD on your auto attack at the cost of your HP.
- Blood Thirst Can be used to bait enemies into skirmishes as you will heal the damage they have thrown at you. It can also be used to bait enemies if they tower dive you or if you are put in a 2v1 situation.
- Blood Price This ability HITS LIKE A TRUCK early game. You can use this to trade very well when you all in or to poke someone when they go up for a CS. Try to stay in Blood Price until you have 60%-50% of your HP left. Then switch to Blood Thirst for the increase heal.
- If you land Blades of Torment, you can easily follow up with a Q,W combo due to the slow. It makes landing the Q a lot easier and due to the "fear factor" of being slowed, people will run away as you harass them. (The "fear factor" is when a enemy is to scared to attack for some unknown reason or they are being to cautious of what could happen since they are slowed. I will see me winning trades due to the "Fear Factor" because people let me harass them for free as they run.)
- The skill shot gets skinnier the longer it goes making it hard to hit. It is easier to hit up close so use it when they try to go for a CS.
- You will get a amazing spike level 6 due to this ability's base 200/300/400 magic damage and the increase attack speed & range. A "All In Kill Combo" should be Q-R-W-Auto-E-Auto-Auto-Ignite(if you take ignite).
- Use it wisely because if you ult as soon as you pop your passive the 12 second duration still goes so that will waste 3 seconds of your ult duration.
CORE ITEMS + WHY STATIKK SHIV
Other Viable Items
Choosing between Statikk, Zephyr, or Maw
Statikk Shiv I get statikk shiv most of the time because it helps Aatrox's split pushing, dueling, and teamfighting. Statikk will also make it easier to keep your advantage in the game unlike Zephyr and Maw.
Zephyr The next best thing if you don't want statikk shiv. Its all about preference. Zephyr gives good CD,AS,AD,MS, and Tenacity which is all pretty good for Aatrox, but I feel that statikk helps you keep your lead a lot better than zephyr. Also Statikk beats Zephyr in the split pushing, teamfighting (due to the statikk's passive), and dueling because 25 AD will not compare to doing 200 magic damage and then doing a crit for 450 damage multiple times. Over all Zephyr is the pick I go if I am behind, I want tabi's, and I want the CD to spam my E.
Maw of Malmortius The only real thing to say on this item is the fact that you will get it vs AP teams or AP laner. Most things are explained about this item in other Viable Items.
Aatrox should be a passive laner until level 2-3 where he will be playing aggressively if he had the lead. He should keep trying to trade with the other top laner anytime you can and restore any health that is missing if they tried to trade with you. Your goal is to snowball as fast and hard as you can.
If you are behind you should poke with E, last hit, farm under tower, and recover any missing hp. Ask for ganks because Aatrox's CC is very effective in setting up ganks for your jungler.
After Laning Phase
You could go 2 paths. Split-push, or Team-fighter.
Split-push: Your goal is to quickly clear waves and push your minions to the enemy towers and to take them! It sounds simple but what your really doing is that your forcing the other team to send 1 or 2 people to stop you or they lose a tower. Aatrox excels in dueling and can even handle himself in 2v1 situations if handled properly. Make sure you ward so you know when to get out or try to hide in a nearby bush and jump on them to kill them.
Team-Fight: Your goal is to either dive in the back lines and knock up the ADC and Mid Lane Mage and try to kill them, just make sure they put their focus on you. If they do focus you, then do not worry because your passive will revive you and if you just took the 2 carries out of the fight your team SHOULD OF already be winning the fight and should be coming to help you escape. If you did not kill the carries then you team will help you chase them down.
Split-pushing in detail.
You need to split push if the enemy top laner is a heavy team fighter, you lost lane and are worthless, you need objectives and your fed enough to duel anyone they send at you, or you need to end the game early.
The point of split-pushing when they got a heavy team fight oriented champion(Maokia) is because you need to keep him top lane so he can't be useful to his team as your team can go for objectives in 4v4s or 3v4s depending if they send 2 people top for you. If they send 2 people top for you ping your teammates to take the closest objective or to start a fight and kill the other 3 enemy champions. IF everything goes right then the 2nd person top will have to defend mid lane as your team will either push a 1-4-0, 1-3-1, or a 1-2-2 lane (Top-Mid-Bot).
Make sure you ward all entry points and their top side jungle!This will help you see if you are being ganked and if you need to retreat or get the jump on them and kill them. Warding will not only help you but it will help your team making them know that their top side jungle is warded limiting the possible areas for where the enemy team is and where they can ward.