Heimerdinger Build Guide by Boylad
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
AP Mid Invader
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
SPACEWelcome to my first guide. This is a guide to, in my opinion, the most strategic, powerful, and fulfilling champion: Heimerdinger, The Revered Inventor.
SPACE Heimerdinger is a very strong mid lane champion who specializes in pushing lanes with his excelled crowd control, as well as being an extremely helpful part of any team fight. Heimerdinger's main source of damage is from his H-28G Evolution Turret, as well as dealing tons of damage from Hextech Micro-Rockets and CH-1 Concussion Grenade. In team fights, Heimerdinger's ultimate, UPGRADE!!! causes his H-28G Evolution Turret to shoot slowing frost shots. To avoid painful mistakes, costing your team the fight, read through this guide and learn all there is to know about what it takes to be a master with Heimerdinger.
Roles: Mage, Pusher, Ranged
Price: 3150 IP / 790 RP
Pros / Cons
+ Crowd control.
+ Can be very powerful.
+ Easy CS.
+ Useful in team fight.
+ He will wreck you.
+ Good early game.
// Heimerdinger is the best person for crowd control. It is the easiest thing for Heimerdinger to pick up over 300 CS in a game. His turrets, along with his powerful rockets and grenades, make him a force to be reckoned with. If played successfully in mid lane, you can push a tower without taking a single thing of damage.
- S l o w.
- Moderately squishy.
- Rune/Mastery dependent.
- Can accidentally take buffs.
- Mana hungry.
- Low health value.
// Heimerdinger is a very slow champion! But don't let his speed fool you! Although he's slow, Heimerdinger doesn't go down without a fight. I can't tell you how many times i've ran away and gotten a kill while my turrets have finished an enemy off. Because he's so squishy, it's important to not get too risky, and to let your turrets to most of your work.
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration
Greater Seal of Mana Regeneration
Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power
Greater Quintessence of Ability Power
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration: (+8.55 MP) With Heimerdinger, these marks will make him a fiend. You will not want to mess with him.
- Greater Seal of Mana Regeneration: (+3.69 MR) It's important to take lots of mana regeneration with any AP champion you take because you will be using loads and loads of mana to give out as much damage you can without needing to recall back to base regain mana. If you leave your lane because you're out of mana, that's enough time for the enemy mid lane to push your tower down.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power: (+27.54 AP @ level 18) It's nice to have lots and lots of AP. There's nothing more fulfilling than seeing that you have 650 AP+ with lots of magic penetration to deal lots of damage.
- Greater Quintessence of Ability Power: (+14.85 AP) More and more AP. You can never get enough of it and having all of this ability power will make your Heimerdinger one to reckon with.
The total price of this rune page is 12,300 IP
(~and worth every penny~)
SPACEFor masteries, I take a 9/0/21 page focusing on everything you need to keep yourself alive, collect gold, and set yourself up for victory.
- Tier 1: Take 4 in Sorcery to improve cooldown which is helpful early game where having H-28G Evolution Turret is crucial!!!
- Tier 2: Take 4 in Blast for increase in AP early game, with the benefit of +18 AP at level 18
- Tier 3 :Take 1 in Arcane Knowledge which will help your AP do more damage by giving you increased penetration. There's no point in having lots of AP if you can't penetrate Garen's armor!
- Tier 1: Take 3 points in Meditation and 1 point in Improved Recall . Meditation gives you +3 Mana Regeneration every 5 seconds. Improved Recall will drastically reduce the cat time for recall.
- Tier 2: Take 3 points in Expanded Mind and 1 point in Artificer . Expanded Mind will give you +180 Mana at level 18, and Artificer gives you reduces the cooldown of activated items such as Deathfire Grasp, Zhonya's Hourglass, Shurelya's Reverie, and Hextech Gunblade.
- Tier 3: Take 4 points in Greed and 1 point in Runic Affinity . Greed will grant you an additional 2 gold every 10 seconds. With such expensive items such as Rabadon's Deathcap and Deathfire Grasp, you'll be wanting to make as much money as possible. Runic Affinity will increase the durability of the crest of the ancient golem .
- Tier 4: Take 4 points in Awareness , which grants you an increase of experience by 5%, which helps grant you levels quicker, getting you to your full potential.
- Tier 5 & 6: Take 3 points in Intelligence and 1 point in Nimble . Intelligence increases cooldown reduction by 6%, which allows you to more rapidly place down your H-28G Evolution Turrets. Nimble is important to take because right off the bat Heimerdinger is granted a 3% increase in speed, which makes quick get-aways possible.
Sorcerer's Shoes gives you more penetration and more speed.. AND IT'S GREAT.
I'm a firm believer in boots, so I highly suggest taking these early in the game.
+15 Magic Penetration
+45 Movement Speed
You may also want to add Enchantment: Alacrity if you find that the speed you have isn't enough.
Mejai's Soulstealer is a wonderful item you should take somewhat early in the game. Due to it's affect, it's a great item to take as you begin to rack in the kills and assists.
You get the following stats. upon 20 Stacks:
+20 Ability Power
+160 Ability Power
+15% Cooldown Reduction
Athene's Unholy Grail is personally one of my favorite items. It's a very well rounded item that gives you the following:
+60 Ability Power
+40 Magic Resist.
+15 Mana Regen.
+15% Cooldown Reduct.
On kill or assist:
+12% of mana is restored
Rabadon's Deathcap is just a bruiser item for the AP champs. Rabadon will give you a lot, and I mean A LOT of Ability Power.
Rabadon will give you:
+120 Ability Power
+25% Ability Power
This will be where a large chunk of your ability power comes from.
Void Staff is an item I feel that is essential. Void staff increases your ability power, and gives you magic penetration, letting all of that ability power go to destroying your enemy.
Void Staff gives you:
+70 Ability Power
+35% Magic Penetration
Magic penetration helps kill *****es. 'nuff said.
Deathfire Grasp is an item I normally didn't have in my build, but I've seen it's usefulness. It grants you an UNIQUE ACTIVE ability to deal 15% of the enemies total health, and makes them 20% more vulnerable to magic damage.
It also gives you:
+100 Ability Power
+15% Cooldown Reduct.
Zhonya's Hourglass is an item I would recommend if you are getting a bit more abused than you should by AD champions. It gives some armor, which Heimerdinger doesn't really have any of.
It gives you:
+100 Ability Power
Stasis for 2.5 seconds
Abyssal Scepter is an item I would recommend if you are getting abused by a champion using a lot of Ability Power, or if there are just a majority of AP champions on the other team.
It grants you:
+70 Ability Power
+45 Magic Resistance
-20 Magic Resist to enemies
Frozen Heart is an item i would only recommend if you find yourself against an AD champion that you seem to almost kill, but die before your turrets or other abilities give you the chance to. It's a very risky buy, but it could save your butt.
It gives you:
+20 Cooldown Reduction
Affects Enemies by:
-20 Attack Speed
The sequence in which you take your skills is all dependent on who you are facing mid lane, and what you feel will benefit you most. The most important thing you need to know is to take your H-28G Evolution Turrets FIRST ALWAYS. H-28G Evolution Turret will be your primary source of income, power, and reliability. These are your life supports. These will save your life, and get you triple kills. Although H-28G Evolution Turrets are your primary skill used during mid lane, his W and E ability as well as his R ability are all very important to utilize well also. Hextech Micro-Rockets are excellent for tight situations as well as abusing during mid lane. If running away from a champion, or catching up to a running away enemy, Hextech is a real lifesaver. Ch-1 Concussion Grenades is a useful, even more powerful skill, which also has the beneficial additions of revealing terrain and causing stun. Finally, his UPGRADE!!! makes getting a quick runaway easy. If you know the enemy is coming, you can active this power and cause your H-28G Evolution Turrets slow the enemy as it hits them.
|The Evolution Turret is your primary source of damage output and is completely necessary to play Heimerdinger well. It is very important that you take this item FIRST. Heimerdinger's H-28G Evolution Turret has a few basic functions you need to know about.
H-28G Evolution Turret gains new improvements on each level you improve it.
ACTIVE: Heimerdinger constructs a Turret with 260 + (15 × level) health that fires at nearby enemies, dealing magic damage (half damage to towers and inhibitors). Heimerdinger stores enough parts for a new turret every 25 seconds (affected by cooldown reduction). Turrets attack 50% faster for the first 6 seconds after placement. Turrets disappear automatically when Heimerdinger dies. Turrets receive upgrades and transform with every ability rank.
|The Hextech Micro-Rockets are another one of Heimerdinger's primary skills you're going to want to take early due to it's large damage output, it's range, it's ability to hit multiple enemies, and it's benefits in last-minute kill situations.
ACTIVE: Heimerdinger fires 3 long range rockets that hit the enemies closest to him.
|CH-1 Concussion Grenade||Ch-1 Concussion Grenade is Heimerdinger's real powerful, and useful move for farming cs, and for quick get-aways. Later in the game, you should be able to use the Ch-1 concussion Grenade to clear away entire mobs of CS from your lane, or if someone is chasing you, you can time it right and end up stunning them for a quick get-away.
ACTIVE: Heimerdinger lobs a grenade at a targeted location, dealing magic damage to enemy units and blinding them. Enemies who are directly hit are stunned for 1.5 seconds.
This is a list of some of the inspiration I used in the making of this guide:
JhoiJohi's "Making a Guide"
Egypsian_Lover's Karma Build Guide for some design ideas
Some information used about Heimerdinger.