Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Threats to Janna with this build
|Blitzcrank||As long as you stay behind minions and your adc punishes any attempts of the cheap Walk-up Knock-up, then you should never die due to blitz. Your W gives you so much movement it should make it so you can easily dodge hooks throughout the game.|
|Amumu||The reason Amumu cries is because Janna ulted him away before he ulted.|
My name is Jay and I have been playing League of Legends since mid-late Season 3. I am currently Diamond 5 and trying to climb. I am a support main and my favorite champs are Janna, Soraka, and Nami. I hope this guide will help you Janna mains climb. I currently, as of early October, have 5.70:1 KDA and 54% win ratio with this build.
How I play Janna
I love to play Janna as a shield dispensary. I basically want nothing but to give huge shields so I can carry anyone even the occasional bad ADC. This build is mostly meant for people who are somewhat familiar with Janna but want to help be part of the carrying a bit more. I carried myself all the way to Diamond 5 with this build so it works but it takes time to get used to.
Pros / Cons
Their is probably someone that may be asking right now "Why should I be picking Janna over all the other supports that are strong at the moment such as Sona, Soraka, & Blitzcrank?" Well let me answer that for you right now. Janna is very fun and simple to play, you don't have to worry about thinking of a rotation so you can focus on positioning and mechanics. This build helps her scale well into late game and she can turn the tides of a fight by herself. Her Monsoon does massive Area of Effect healing which can heal your entire team to full health during a fight.
+ Good Zoning Ability
+ Good CC
+ Tornado can stall minion waves a bit
+ Great AoE Healing from Ult
+ Very Fast movement around the map
+ Good Kiting/Disengage
Travels your champion a short distance in a blink toward your cursor's location!
Flash is indisputably the best summoner spell in the game, when you have the ability to blink across a area of the map it allows you to use it very aggressive Monsoon engages and helps you escape most situations.
Exhausts target enemy champion, reducing their Movement Speed and Attack Speed by 30%, their Resistances by 10, and their damage dealt by 40% for 2.5 seconds.
This ability is great for disengaging try to run away faster, oppressing fed champions, and making kills easier. This is the non-flash ability i take 95% of the time because of how useful it is.
Ignites target enemy champion, dealing 70-410 true damage over 5 seconds.
This is a very situational spell I would say I take it less than 5% of the time. The only situations I would take this on Janna is if we are against a Soraka or the enemy team has multiple heavy tanks.
• Greater Quintessence of Ability Power: We begin with using 3x Ability Power Quintessence's. This is my favorite Quints for Janna as they are very cost efficient and Ability Power scales incredibly with her shields and abilities overall.
• Greater Mark of Scaling Ability Power: Next is 9x scaling ability power marks, I am not sure how cost efficient these are but they are my favorite to use because, again, Ability Power scales very well on Janna. These are mostly for late game and barely noticeable.
• Greater Seal of Scaling Armor: The 9x scaling armor seals will help you later on in the game. Around the time that team fights happen as you shouldn't be taking too much damage early on when playing correctly anyways.
• Greater Glyph of Scaling Cooldown Reduction: I take 6x of these as that will give you 10% cooldown later in the game. I take this so I only have to take 3 CDR items as cool down is rather expensive. I find these to be cost efficient.
• Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power: I take 3x of these and it's pretty self explanatory.
• Wanderer : 5/5
This is an amazing master for Janna the 3% movement helps her move around fast and is even better with Zephyr.
• Secret Stash : 1/1
This mastery isn't my favorite thing because I take Refillable Potion but I believe it affects it. This is the only mastery in this row Janna really benefits from honestly.
• Meditation : 5/5
What's better than mana regeneration? Nothing that's what. This becomes stronger the more mana you are missing.
• Bandit : 1/1
You could take either one of the masteries in this row but I personally like Bandit as it gives you gold per minion killed and you get gold from autos occasionally.
• Intelligence : 5/5
This mastery gives 5 cooldown reduction and also increases the cooldown reduction cap by 5% letting you have a max of 45%. This is a no brainer, Janna benefits positively from Cooldown Reduction as it lets her have her shield up much faster.
• Windspeaker's Blessing : 1/1
This makes your shields and heals 10% stronger and also give the allies you cast them on increased armor and magic resist for 3 seconds. This procs from her Zephyr and her Monsoon which gives this effect to everyone in your ultimate.
• Recovery : 5/5
This is a good mastery compared to Unyielding which doesn't benefit non-tanks much.
• Explorer : 1/1
This only further stacks with Wanderer and her Zephyr.
• Veteran's Scars : 1/1
The additional 50 health isn't that big in the grand scheme of things but it allows you to be safer early game.
• Insight : 1/1
Reducing the cooldown of your Exhaust and Flash can help you a lot, which is why I take it.
Here is the skilling order you should follow when you are maxing your abilities, this is the order you can base your assumptions off if you ever or are in a rush forget what to level on Janna at any point in the game. Now that you know the order of these abilities lets go over them.
Tailwind - This is a very good passive as it can help your allies get to lane faster or escape by giving them movement speed. Just be sure to try and stay in front of them when you want them to benefit from it.
Howling Gale - This ability is very versatile. I love to use it to damage minions waves to stop the enemies from pushing as it doesn't scale terribly with AP. You can also use it to disengage and to stop engages from Zac and Alistar for example. Another way I like to use it is for poke in lane when i know the enemy jungler isn't going to gank us soon, just make sure you don't push lane accidentally.
Zephyr - This ability here... makes Janna very fast while it's not on CD. I seldom use it for poke because the speed passive drops off when it goes on cool down. I do use it for chase if I know that the slow will be enough to help my team catch the enemy. This ability basically makes it so you don't NEED boots later on if you want to sell Ionian Boots of Lucidity.
Eye Of The Storm - This is Janna's big gem. This not only gives Allies or Turrets a shield but it also gives attack damage. It stacks really well with Ardent Censer and Windspeaker's Blessing which all go together to help your adc a ton.
Monsoon - This ability is good for a flash engages or normal disengages and can turn the tides of a fight if used correctly. This also procs Ardent Censer and Windspeaker's Blessing
- This combo is awesome, It's not the strongest early game but you help Vayne survive so she farms up for late game. Especially with Vaynes 3rd hit you do so much damage, when you shield Vayne. Your passive is a nice combo with Vayne, because she gains a lot of movementspeed, which means that their passives are perfect together.
- Her headshots tend to do a lot of damage as it is. She benefits very much from attack speed and attack damage making your Shield + Ardent Censer a great combo to help out Caitlyn do that extra damage.
- She is in my opinion one of the best hyper carries in the game. She does incredible amounts of damage late game and you only further buff her.
- This is an almost combo if played well. Late game Ezreal will have your gigantic shields and his arcane shift to get out of most situations. Giving him bonus attack speed and attack damage makes him deadly even before a full build.
- Warding Totem is a very good cost efficient trinket early on. It's basically a Sightstone that recharges slowly. It gives you multiple uses until you get Sightstone at that point this trinket should be sold for-
- Sweeping Lens lets you find wards to kill, allowing you to deny vision to the enemy team. This is very effective when you need to clear vision when your jungler is coming to gank. If you do not attack the ward it finds, anyone on your team can walk past it without being seen, but if you attack in then the enemies can see you killing it.
- Upgrade your Sweeping Lens to a Oracle Alteration as soon as you hit level 9. This let's you scout out wards while moving around. The only time I would not upgrade this is if they have you shoved in quite a lot and leaving your base could end in your death. In this case Sweeping Lens is what I prefer as it lets me see if there's anyone in bushes from a distance rather than melee.
Green Ward Placement
Place Stealth Wards in these areas when you are on the blue side pushing towards the red side of the map. Depending on objective timers and how far the minions/towers are pushed will differ in which area you place the wards. Also good to take into consideration that if the enemy jungler is top, this gives you time to ward up their bottom side jungle.
Place Stealth Wards in these areas of the map when you are on the red side pushing towards the blue side of the map. This is a good enough summary of deep wards and easy wards for you to place to protect yourself and your team.
Pink Ward Placement
Make sure to place your Vision Ward in one of these locations on the map. Depending on which side you are playing on is where the placement may change. For example, if you are on red side you will want to place protective wards on the side of the map you are playing on for incoming ganks in your own tri bush. This pink tends to survive most of the lane.
For more aggressive style pink wards place them in bushes in the enemy jungle that are primarily ignored by most players, when an enemy is pathing towards a camp or to lane they will go past these bushes and the Vision Ward will detect them and survive.
If you have to vs an enemy such as Evelynn while on the red side of the map this is a simple trick for you to detect her while she is stealth. You may want to focus her instantly for a quick 2 v 1 situation to catch her off guard this will net you that important free kill to help snowball you early on. With your Vision Ward placed, put your Stealth Ward within vision proximity of your Vision Ward and this will grant vision of the stealthed enemy champion like Evelynn, Shaco, and Rengar.
This was my first guide so I thank you for checking it out. I drew some inspiration from other guides but I worked really hard on it regardless. I will be updating to this guide every so often and hopefully adding more content to make it the best it can be. Make sure to vote and comment what you think. I don't mind requests to add more stuff!