Lucian Build Guide by Velotivity
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
The Right Lucian Build.
Example Final Build
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Introduction to my guide and myself.
This guide was inspired to my by A Mana Potion, a Diamond V player who plays almost exclusively Lucian. He posted a thread in the Official LoL Forums explaining how to build Lucian with a new approach. I thought this build was genius, and was comparable to the finding of "Blue Ezreal". I simply put this in a easier format to read and skim through the build. I am but a lowly Silver, rewriting the genius of a Diamond.
Quotes from A Mana Potion
"I have been playing a hell of a lot of Lucian since his release, obsessively so, Diamond ranked or otherwise. I have experimented with just about every damn item on him with varying success, and I figured I would impart some of that knowledge to Lucian lovers and newcomers to the champ alike.
Let me just preface that Lucian is NOT your standard ADC, and playing him as such with the same build you would on the others will merely gimp you in the long run. Think Ezreal and the discovery of his "blue" build. Hardly standard, but fit him and his playstyle well....too ****ing well. Lucian is kind of similar in that regard, building the standard is sub-optimal. Lucian mixes the playstyle between Graves and Ezreal, throwing down heavy burst where appropriate, whilst weaving around the battlefield like a mini artillery gun, dipping in and out with skillfull use of his rotations and passive proccing on vulnerable targets, and a well timed ult (changes depending on engagement circumstances) to augment him from a safe distance. A well played Lucian will rarely sit in auto attack range and fire away for more then a second at a time, unless you have no cooldowns up and it is safe to do so. So, knowing that, what stats does Lucian need to do his job and excel?"
(A Mana Potion, 1)
Stats Lucian Loves
Stats Lucian Loves (Tiered for relative order of important in most games):
"1) Raw AD
3) Attack Speed
4) Movement Speed/Cooldown Reduction
5) Crit Chance/Lifesteal
1) Raw AD: He is a burst caster, like graves. Straight AD greatly boosts his Q, which scales very hard, along with his passive, W, and Ult. You will be using every part of his kit in all fights at all stages of the game, your first priority should be building a strong damage item so they matter.
2) Penetration: Again, not only is he a burst caster, but without penetration, nothing you do will touch anything remotely tanky come mid game fights when the bruiser has left his 20 minute island, along with their tanky jungler who somehow matched your teammates solo lane cs and up 5 kills. Both of them will want your nuts, and, like any good lucian, you will be casting and weaving autos inbetween casts, but if you have no penetration, neither your spells nor autos will hurt enough to discourage them, and they will bend you over and have their way with you, without fail.
3) Attack Speed: Your abilities have cooldowns, and if you aren't helping anyone attacking like you took lessons from karthus. Not only that, your ult scales well with it, and to ignore it will hamper your ult to near useless levels. While attack speed is not your primary focus, you still need to get it in convenient places wherever you can.
4) Movement Speed/Cooldown Reduction: If Lucian relies on kiting and weaving autos inbetween abilities, this should be a no brainer. Movement speed makes it easier to kite and stick to targets, especially since your Q and W have cast animations, keep up or stay away from targets whilst ulting, and get your abilities off CD faster, which means more dashes and more passive enhanced autos.
5) Crit Chance/Lifesteal: You need them, and every build should have some of each, but neither are your main focus. Lucian Spends the majority of his time casting with passive enhanced autos inbetween, with a 3 second channeled ultimate. Unlike most ADC's whom come mid-late game straight up auto to the exclusion of most of their abilities, Lucian is casting very frequently, and crit chance/lifesteal gives no benefit to anything save his passive. So no, you should not build a 90% crit chance Lucian, nor more than one lifesteal item.
Another very important aspect of item building is maximizing your power at every stage of the game. Item choice, timing of item purchases, feasability, and attention to game flow, your ADC playstyle and enemy composition is crucial for building optimally."
(A Mana Potion, 1)
CORE BUILD PATHWAY
"CORE BUILD PATHWAY, CREDIT TO CRIMSONCORE FOR THE MATH THAT HELPED SOLIDIFY IT
1) Doran x 1 or 2 (depends on laning situation)
2) T1 Boots
3) BF Sword
4) Beserkers Greaves OR Bloodthirster (Depends on situation)
5) Whichever you didn't finish last time
7) Black Cleaver
9) Last Whisper
11) Replace Boots with BoTRK/Second Zephyr/Trinity
Your first 3 completed items should be BT, Black Cleaver and Ghostblade, followed by Last Whisper shortly after. If you need a defensive item, grab it instead of a BoTRK, giving you BT/BC/GB/LW/Defensive item/Zephyr."
"I bet your wondering...omg, where is his Trinity Force? Wtf Ghostblade? Why Zephyr so soon? BoTRK? Well, allow me to enlighten you.
This is a BAD rush item on Lucian, bad bad bad. Building it piecemeal weakens your lane trading, offers zero sustain, is incredibly expensive, and does not offer enough even when completed for early engagements to warrant it. It might have a lot of stats lucian likes, but not enough in the right areas at the right time of the game. Not only that, but it does little to augments anything beyond his passive. All his abilities will be weaker...yet you need his abilities to proc the passive that you bought the trinity force for in the first place, see the problem? Not only that, but lucian will miss trinity procs due to the nature of his kit, especially early-mid game without any added CDR. He is actually a lot like graves early game with regard to cooldowns, and if you dont rush a trinity on graves, why the heck would you on Lucian?
A Lucian that rushes Bloodthirster will have more sustain, especially with his passive double dipping. His passive will be enhanced by Raw AD EVERY auto after a cast, last hitting is easier, you trade better, push better, kill better, your spells all hit harder (and you have to cast them anyway so its a win win) and your ult even rank one will do an almost noticeable amount of damage. You will also do more damage in early skirmishes, and you will do all that for a LOT cheaper. In short, if BT isnt your first major purchase, you are gimping yourself."
"Think about it for a second. It gives 30 AD, a whopping 20 flat penetration, 15% crit chance, and 10% cooldown reduction. To top it off, you get an active thats up for every engagement, giving a 40% attack speed boost and 20% movement speed boost. Do you know what that is perfect for? Your ultimate. Pop it anytime you would cast it, and watch as you gun down fleeing targets or pelt ones chasing you, and they cant catch up because your base speed is 30% faster for the duration. Plus, if you pop it before you ult, your ult gets the benefit of the 40% AS boost, adding extra bolts (and thus extra damage tacked on more quickly), with each shot getting that 20 armor pen, and BT enhanced damage. It is always up when your ult is up, and is THE perfect steriod for using it. If your ult is somehow down while your ghostblade is up, well, the active is still very, very nice.
Also....its cheap, easy to finish, and gives you what you need when you need it."
BLACK CLEAVER THEN LAST WHISPER NAO
"Why? Because by your third item brusiers will be showing their faces, armor items will be bought, and you need to be able to start shredding them ASAP. Your ult will do damage to them once you have it, and squishies will begin melting (and i do mean melting) with proper aim."
WHY ZEPHYR SO EARLY?
"Unless you absolutely need your defensive item now, or the quicksilver active, zephyr is a fantastic next buy. It gives 25 AD, 50% attackspeed, 10% movement speed and 10% cooldown reduction. It also gives tenacity, which honestly, for someone like Lucian who relies on kiting, can be a lifesaver. It again, isn't too expensive, and truly makes your kiting and ult a force to be reckoned with. Plus your spells are up more often, which means more dashes and more auto weaving."
"If you don't need a defensive item, replace your boots with BoTRK. Why? Because it out-damages Infinity Edge with this build, big thanks to Crimsoncore for the math on this one, who would have thought.
Essentially, once you have BT/BC/GB/LW, your build decisions will boil down to whether or not you need a defensive item at all, and if you do, how long you can hold off on it.
Need Defensive item? Y/N
If Yes, and Need it now? : BT/BC/GB/LW/Defense/Zephyr
If Yes, but not immediately: BT/BC/GB/LW/Zephyr/Defense
If No: BT/BC/GB/LW/Zephyr/BotRK
Again, thanks to Crimsoncore for the math, especially behind BC v LW first, and the math behind how good BoTRK is as a final item (but horrible to rush)
***Here is an Interesting TidBit***
Riot Disabled Sword of the Divine's active for Lucian's ult (the ONLY ability in the game coded in this manner) to prevent abuse cases. With Ghostblade you gain almost half that for 4 seconds (instead of only 3, more leeway with how fast you activate your ult), along with 20% movement speeds, with NO downsides when it is on CD. Think about that for a minute."
1) Rush BT, Not Trinity
2) Brutalizer --> BC --> Ghostblade --> LW rounds out your core
3) Zephyr/BoTRK/Defensive item for your last 2 slots.
4) Stop rushing trinity force
5) Utilize Lucian's whole kit with proper itemization, maximize his potential with a better build.
6) I play Lucian nonstop
7) I hope you learned something
8) Lucian is not weak, Lucians ult only sucks at rank 1 with no items. It is a late game monster.
9) Check out Crimsoncore's Guide, as well as his posts, it has all the math you need to back our findings up
TL : DR ...BT RUSH GOOD, TRINITY RUSH BAD. GHOSTBLADE GOOD 2.
Feel free to ask questions or discuss, or add me in game to chat/play!!
Adding all Lucian Lovers, free of charge!"
I feel like this is genius. Although Lucian is now seen as a God Tier ADC, he was once considered one of the most under powered and worthless ADC's. Common accusations were that his ULT was weak, he was useless in lane, bad late game, etc. This build by A Mana Potion solves all of these problems. His ult, with Ghostblade and Zephyr, is one of the best chasing/kiting abilities in the game.
And please. Stop rushing Trinity Force on Lucian.