Twisted Fate Build Guide by SirMount
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Twisted Fate Build
Final Item (Pick one)
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
|Twisted Fate is a very versatile champion, with abilities that are useful for almost every situation. In the past, he has seen 2 main builds. AP, and AD. This build brings both of them together; it allows you to have some of the upfront burst that the AP build had while still packing a fair amount of DPS.
Pros / Cons
+ Insane map presence.
+ Snowballs HARD.
+ Strong long-ranged poke.
+ Stuns (and more) on a VERY low cooldown.
+ Makes use of Stacked Deck.
+ Passive makes your teammates love you.
- Very item dependant.
- Squishy early game.
- Expensive build (needs lots of farm/kills).
- Long cooldown on ultimate.
- Shut down easily.
- Hard to pull the right card quickly.
Why Hybrid? Why AP/AS?
|One of the main reasons to choose Hybrid Twisted Fate is that you get extreme usage out of your Stacked Deck. Lets say its around 30 or so minutes and you have your Guinsoo's Rageblade, Trinity Force, Nashor's Tooth, and Berserker's Greaves. Also assuming that you have 5 points in your Pick A Card so you can land a 2 second stun, and have Stacked Deck primed, and 8 stacks on Guinsoo's Rageblade. You walk up to an enemy champion and land a gold card. Your attack speed is floating right around 2.0 so you can land 4 auto attacks throughout the duration (on top of the first attack with the gold card), throw Wild Cards, and get Spellblade into one of your auto attacks. With both Nashor's Tooth and 2 Stacked Decks, you are dealing 210 (autoattack with Nashor's Tooth) x4 + 2x 180 ( Stacked Deck) + ~400 (initiate) + 300 ( Wild Cards) = a whopping 1900 damage before Armor and MR before they can even react. If you walked towards them while doing this, you can probably land another 2 auto attacks, and apply ignite. If this didn't kill them, you can always Destiny on top of them with a gold card primed, and just finish them off. You will find yourself in situations like this all the time and your opponents will be frightened by your presence. And since Twisted Fate can use Destiny to be right on top of you in nearly any fight, you can lock in easy kills for your team throughout the game.|
|I like to take a standard 21/0/9 with Twisted Fate. It lets you have lots of damage, extended buffs, a little mana regen, and cooldowns so your Flash and Ignite are ready sooner. If you predict that you will have a hard time in your lane, or just prefer the extra tankability, you can always go 21/9/0.|
- Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed: Twisted Fate already has fairly low base movement speed, so taking these helps you both catch an escaping opponent with a gold card, and escaping. Other viable options are Greater Quintessence of Hybrid Penetration and Greater Quintessence of Ability Power
- Greater Mark of Hybrid Penetration: It's pretty simple, you're a hybrid, so bring hybrid pen marks.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: You get the most out of these as by the time you're taking a lot of magic damage these have scaled a lot. Other options are Greater Glyph of Magic Resist if you think they will have a lot of burst early, and Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power if you want the extra damage. Don't take Greater Glyph of Ability Power as the scaling counterpart will give you more when you need it at the mid game.
- Greater Seal of Armor: Necessary to take less damage from auto attacks and minions. Don't take Greater Seal of Mana Regeneration because you can just pull blue cards to pop on minions.
Flash: Necessary since Twisted Fate has no escapes other than pulling a gold card and running while stunned. Can be used both offensively and defensively.
Ignite: Adds a lot to your burst damage that is necessary to lock in kills throughout the game.
Ghost: Can help you get closer to land your gold card, or as another escape. Remove Ignite before you add Ghost.
Teleport: Useful if you want to snap back to your lane after using Destiny. I don't take this because Flash is necessary and I feel Ignite is more important to have.
- Loaded Dice (Passive): Grants everyone on your team 2 gold for killing an enemy unit or structure while you are alive. Very useful passive that grants your team a lot of gold throughout the game.
- Wild Cards (Q): With 1450 range, it is one of the longest range pokes in the game. Feel free to use it for farming, but if an enemy is nearby try farm with a side card or hit them with a side card. It is OK to miss, as it is on such a low cooldown. If you notice that your enemy never dodges skillshots, fire away and harass them until they have to go back.
- Pick a Card (W): This is what makes Twisted Fate Twisted Fate. Mana regen, an AoE slow that is useful for farming, and a long stun on a short cooldown. This ability is your bread and butter, spam it throughout the game. If you have primed a card, it will be applied to your next auto attack. Pull a blue card for farming, regen, and taking down towers. Pull a red card for farming or dealing damage to clustered enemies, and pull a gold card for ganks and harassment in lane. The order cards spin in is blue -> red -> gold, and repeat. If you have activated Pick A Card, but haven't locked in what card you want yet, you can lock in a card while you are silenced.
Tip: Leave this spinning while in lane even if you have decided what card you want to use. If you prime a card too early, your enemy will know what your plans are and make decisions based on them. Keeping them out of the loop both allows you to have another edge on your opponent and make them fear you.
- Stacked Deck (E): You get a lot more out of this ability as a hybrid. Every fourth attack you deal bonus magic damage. Additionally, you gain 10/15/20/25/30% attack speed for each point you put into it.
Tip: Try to prime Stacked Deck before you stun an enemy champion, regularly auto attack an enemy champion, or leave lane to use Destiny for a gank.
- Destiny (R): This ability is VERY important. When you activate it, you gain vision of all enemy champions on the map for 6/8/10 seconds. Additionally can activate it again to Gate to anywhere within 5500 units surrounding you. Make sure it is safe to Gate to your target before you do so. Use this for ganking and escaping. You CAN NOT Gate from the center of mid lane to the center of bot or top lane. However, after walking a little bit down the river, you can reach these destinations.
Tip: If you are ganking, you should prime your gold card before Gateing to your destination. I am not responsible for what happens to your face when you accidentally pull a blue card during a gank.
|I max Wild Cards first, but at level 10 because I find the extra point in Stacked Deck at level 9 is more important than the few bonuses you gain from putting a 5th point into Wild Cards again. Then I start alternating between leveling Pick A Card and Stacked Deck, putting a point in Destiny whenever possible at level 6, 11, and 16 for the reduced cooldown.|
|Guinsoo's Rageblade is essential for almost any hybrid. The AD, AP, and attack speed all come at a fairly cheap price for the stats we gain. Additionally, the passive is fairly significant and helps a lot in 1v1s or in team fights when you aren't being focused but still taking damage. Try to keep it on 8 stacks on this item whenever possible.|
|This is our 2nd core item. We make use of every stat on this item. This item just makes you a killing machine and an insane assassin. Also a must have on hybrids.|
|Nashor's Tooth is a very strong item in our build. The CDR, AP, AS, and additional magic damage on hit all do alot for everybody's favorite hybrid Twisted Fate. Every stat on this item is very important to us, and nothing else really does the trick.|
|In a team fight, we want to spam our abilities, and use Pick A Card to prime a gold card to target the main damage dealer, or a bruiser who is killing your ADC. We can also Gate in to a team fight we weren't in to help turn the tides. Since we are a hybrid, we want to remember to keep auto attacking in order to deal maximal damage|
|Overall, Hybrid Twisted Fate is a very strong build. It deals a lot of damage upfront with your Pick A Card Wild Cards combo, while dealing lots of sustained damage over time. This is my first build here on MOBAFire, so please give me feedback on how to make it better, and please make suggestions for new sections I should add to the guide. If you downvote my guide, please let me know what I can do to improve it to meet your standards.
SPECIAL THANKS: Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
|Guide Created: 7/27/13
Minor Tweaks + added Why Hybrid? Why AP/AS? section: 7/28/13
Planned Additions: New section: Matchups, Gameplay + Commentary maybe???