Aatrox Build Guide by sg12
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Welcome guys, to my guide of playing Aatrox Top lane! This is my first guide but I am trying my best to make a reasonable guide. Aatrox is a champion with everything you need for a good top lane champion. Sustain? Yup. CC? Yup. Escape? Yup. Ability for farming? Yup. He is the champion for people who want to Stay alive, Knock their whole team up in the air, Deal AoE damage, Take all the damage the enemy team has to offer and still survive.
And if that doesn't impress you, HE IS FREAKING FUN TO PLAY!! :D
SPECIAL THANKS: Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
Pros / Cons
Pros / Cons
+ Insane sustain with Blood Thirst + Items
+ Awesome dueling potential
+ Good CC with Dark Flight and Blades of Torment
+ Good initiation with a well placed Dark Flight and Massacre.
+ Low CDs except for Blood Well
- Abilities cost Health
- Sometimes Dark Flight and Blades of Torment are hard to place.
|Gives you 5 AD and 5 AP while Ignite is on CD. Not really much, but why not?|
|Gives you attack speed. Aatrox needs Attack speed for his Blood Thirst|
|Gives you AD. Really. Who doesn't love moar AD? :D|
|Gives you Armor Pent. Compliments Aatrox's kit.|
|Gives you HP/Level. Gives you a lil' tankiness.|
|Gives you Armor. Needed vs. AD champs.|
|Gives you Magic resist. Needed vs. AP champs.|
|Reduces basic attack damage on you. Useful against Champs reliant on basic attacks. Eg: Teemo or AD carries as a whole.|
|Gives you Health that makes you tanky early game.|
|Same as Unyielding|
|Gives Armor and Magic Resist based on enemy champions nearby. Useful in teamfights.|
|MOAR ARMOR AND MAGIC RESIST!|
|Reduces damage on you.|
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage: Helps in last hitting.
- Greater Mark of Attack Speed: Gives attack speed. Attack speed compliments Aatrox's kit.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: Gives magic resist. Makes Aatrox tanky.
- Greater Seal of Armor: Gives armor. Makes Aatrox MOAR TANKY!
Ignite: Useful for finishing enemies. No more "noob lucky", "omfg noob luck".
Flash: Good for escaping sticky situations.
Teleport: Good for split-pushing/backdooring. Also good if the enemy team has pusher like [mordekaiser, Nasus etc.
- Blood Well: Revives you after death. Grants immunity during that time. Also grants Attack Speed based on the amount of blood in the well.
- Dark Flight (Q): Aatrox's gap closer + knockup. Leave your enemies flying up in the air!
- Blood Thirst (W): Every third attack, Aatrox heals himself. When he is below 50% HP, not only the base healing amount triples, but also the scaling rate which is 25% (becomes 75%). Sustain for dayz.
- Blood Price (W): The second part of his W. Aatrox deals bonus damage every third attack in this stance.
- Blades of Torment (E): A new kind of skill shot. Deals damage and slows enemies on two lines that later join up.
- Massacre (R): Deals damage near him and grants him massive amounts of attack speed. Syncs good with Sunfire Cape and Wit's End.
Ability Sequence Order
|Leveling up Massacre whenever it is available to upgrade is always the right thing to do, like every champ's ulti. Maxing Blood Thirst / Blood Price gives him the much needed sustain for laning phase. Blood Price also allows you to farm under turret in lane. Maxing Blades of Torment second increases the slow % on the ability, allowing you to stick to your targets, which is, most of the time, the enemy carry. We should max Dark Flight last because maxing it only increases the base damage. It doesn't increase the knockup duration.|
|Gives armor. Makes you tanky. Simple.|
|Aatrox's core item. Everything in this item is necessary for his kit. The awesome active just adds up to it. Good for sticking to enemies, and in rare cases, good for escaping.|
|This item is 'the item' for any off-tank. It adds a nice splash damage to your basic attacks. Lifesteal applies on that splash damage. Also gives a small amount of health regen.|
|Gives AD and MOAR LIFESTEAL! MOAR LIFESTEAL = MOAR SUSTAIN! MOAR SUSTAIN = WIN! :P|
|Gives a nice amount of CDR, magic resist and a lil' HP. But the thing that makes this item really good is it's passive. Increases your health regen, life steal etc. Increases your life steal, which should be 45% with this build, to 54%.|
|You know what's better than a revive? 2 revives!! Also gives armor and magic resist.|
|Aatrox should always be initiating. It's his job. It's what he is best at. Dark Flight to Massacre is the combo for that. If executed well, your enemies should be knocked up, making it easier for your carries to do their job. Aatrox should always focus their ADCs and/or their APCs. Use your Blade of the Ruined King's active on either their health-stacking tank or their ADC to stick to them.|