Miss Fortune Build Guide by Lovemerough
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Miss Fortune Build
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello everyone! Welcome to my very first guide here on Mobafire. In this guide I will be focusing on how to play Miss Fortune with an ability power focus. I wanted a new and unique way to play this champion. After realizing that attack damage was obviously the normal thing to do, I went the opposite way, ability power. I can imagine a large number of people think this is a bad idea, or that it won't work, but hopefully with this guide I can show you that it does work and it is a very fun way to play Miss Fortune!
Please keep in mind that this guide is a constant work in progress. You may visit this guide one day and it might be different the next. I will keep an updated change log so you can see exactly what changes I made to my guide and when.
*** I encourage you to read through this whole guide before commenting, voting, etc! It's only fair.
Pros / Cons
+ Amazing farming ability
+ Pushes lanes easily
+ High mobility due to passive
+ Very high damage and attack speed
+ Long range
- Very squishy
- Susceptible to CC
- No escape abilities
- Must be lead into team fights
- Requires careful placement
- Summoner's Wrath -- This gives us an additional 10% increase to ability power and attack speed with our Surge spell.
- Mental Force -- Increased ability power.
- Alacrity -- Increased attack speed.
- Sorcery -- Cooldown reduction so we can spam more.
- Demolitionist -- This makes us an even deadlier lane pusher.
- Arcane Knowledge -- More magic penetration. What's not to like?
- Havoc -- Increased damage overall.
- Blast -- Increased ability power.
- Archmage -- Increased ability power.
- Executioner -- More damage to low HP targets.
- Expanded Mind -- More mana lets us spam more.
- Greater Quintessence of Scaling Ability Power: This gives us increased ability power. It will also scale well into games that take a long time.
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration: Magic penetration is important on ability power champions. This lets us focus on other items that do not have magic penetration.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Ability Power: Increased ability power. Scales well.
- Greater Seal of Scaling Ability Power: Increased ability power. Scales well.
- Greater Quintessence of Ability Power: This is a flat ability power rune. Use this if you want to be more powerful early game.
- Greater Mark of Attack Speed: Use this if you want to focus more on ability power items in your build. A full set of these runes could replace Malady or Nashor's Tooth.
- greater glyph of Replenishment: Use this if you find yourself running into mana issues. This build will only have some mana issues early game.
- Greater Seal of Ability Power: Flat ability power rune. Gives more power early game.
Flash: This spell is almost always used by every player. It is an amazing escape utility. We really need this on Miss Fortune because she has no spells of her own that let her escape tricky situations.
Surge: This is such an amazing choice for this build. If you activate your Impure Shots and Surge at the same time, you will find yourself with some insane attack speed, especially when you get fed. This makes quick work of turrets.
Exhaust: I much prefer the other summoner spells that I have listed, but this is a good alternative. I would couple this spell with Flash only. It helps you kill escaping enemy champions that you might not have otherwise gotten the kill on.
- Strut: This is our passive ability. It is an amazing passive because it provides us with extra mobility while out of combat. So we can reach areas of the map quicker. It will help us reach a teammate in need, or get back to our lane quicker. Make sure you understand this only works out of combat.
- Double Up (Q): We will not be using much of this ability with this build because it relies on attack damage. Basically what this ability does is shoot a bullet at the target and it will bounce and hit the target behind it for extra damage. Do not worry too much about this ability.
- Impure Shots (W): This is such an amazing ability on Miss Fortune and it works perfectly with this build. It provides you with a nice passive that deals extra magic damage to our targets. When activated it provides us with a 50% attack speed increase when fully maxed, it even decreases healing received and health regeneration on the target. I highly recommend you activate this ability with Surge for maximum effectiveness. You this ability when attack turrets or enemy champions.
- Make It Rain (E): This is our main damage dealing ability. You will want to practice with this ability a lot! Essentially what this ability does is fires a circle of bullets onto the ground from the sky that deals magic damage and slows anything in the area of effect. Take note that it does an extra 80% magic damage, which is amazing for this build! Try to land this ability in the center of a creep wave so it hits every single minion. When attacking an enemy champion, try placing it behind them, this is because they will usually retreat and this will provide the longest duration they will be exposed to the ability.
- Bullet Time (R): This is Miss Fortune's Ultimate ability. You will have to also practice a lot with this ability to get it just right. This ability channels a barrage of bullets every .25 seconds for 2 seconds. It does an extra 20% magic damage. If you place the ability in the right spot at the right time, you can obliterate an enemy team or make them seriously injured. You want to activate this ability at just the right moment. Try channeling this ability on the enemy team when they are all bunched up for maximum effectiveness. Take not that this ability has a medium range and can easily be navigated around by the enemy champions. Couple this ability with your Make it Rain for maximum effectiveness and damage potential. Practice makes perfect!!!
Ability Sequence Order
The ability sequence order is very easy to remember for this build. No matter what champion you play you will always take your Ultimate ability at 6, 11, and 16. You will want to level up your Make it Rain ability first and foremost. You will then trade off with Impure Shots. So basically you will alternate between these two abilities until they are maxed, with Make it Rain taking precedence. Once all abilities are maxed you can then start leveling up your Double Up ability.
: This is an amazing starting item for any ability power focused champion. It provides us with our main stat, ability power. It also gives us some extra health and mana regeneration which are important for us early game.
- Kage's Lucky Pick: This will give us additional ability power. But what makes this item great is the fact that it provides you with an extra source of income. If you are really fed before your first trip back, you can skip this item. But if you are having a hard time in lane and falling behind, pick this item up.
: I take these boots because it provides us with a big boost to our attack speed. Since we are focusing on ability power in this build we have no real way of doing damage other than our Make it Rain and Bullet Time abilities. Extra attack speed will provide us with faster basic attacks, even if they are doing less damage, the speed will circumvent the damage.
: This item will provide us with our main stat, ability power. It will also give us extra attack speed, see my explanation on Berserker's Greaves. This item will also give us cooldown reduction which is important for our Make it Rain and Bullet Time abilities. The more you can spam those abilities, the better.
: This item gives us a small amount of ability power. But it will also provide us with even more attack speed. By this point you will be pewpewing so fast you will not even know what to do with yourself. Make sure you use your Impure Shots ability and Surge spell to increase your attack speed even further. Another important part of this item is the fact that it decreases the targets magic resistance allowing us to do more damage with our main abilities.
: This is an excellent choice for this build because it provides us with a large amount of ability power and health. But the good part about this item is the passive ability. The passive will slow the target by 35% for 1.5 seconds. Using your Make it Rain ability will trigger this passive. So using your slow will make them more slow...uhh.
: Usually you will not get to this point in most games. But if you do, have some fun! This item provides us with such a huge amount of ability power it is almost not fair. You will have the amazing attack speed you have had all game. But you will now be realizing your Make it Rain and Bullet Time abilities will be doing even more than before.
- : Ahh yes! Lich Bane! This item gives us ability power, magic resistance, mana, and extra move speed. So basically everything we need! But the real gem in this item is the passive ability that it harbors. When you use an ability, your next physical attack will deal an additional 100% of your ability power in damage. So basically at this point, your basic attacks will be empowered, making you a deadly fighting force.
: Pick up this item if you find yourself being stunned quite often while using your Bullet Time ability. Hopefully the passive off this item will prevent the enemy team from stopping your Ultimate ability. You will usually get this item mid to late game.
: Pick up this item if you notice that the enemy team is stacking magic resistance. If you notice this early on, I would trade this item with Rylai's Crystal Scepter. This item will still provide you with a lot of ability power, but unfortunately no passive.
: I would pick up this item after mid game. But I would only suggest getting this item if you notice you are getting beat up pretty bad for some reason. Remember placement of Miss Fortune is essential! The passive of this item will basically give you an extra life. You will come back to life right where you died. So placement becomes an even bigger issue with this item. Try to die in a "safe" location, which will obviously be hard to do.
- : This is an alternative to Berserker's Greaves. Pick up this item if you think the enemy team will be stacking magic resistance. You will have to make a pretty good guess. But if 3 or 4 or your team is ability power for whatever reason, that is a pretty good indication that the enemy team will be stacking magic resistance. These boots will give you some magic penetration to counter that.
Farming is actually quite easy with this build. You will be amazed how easily it is to clear an entire creep wave with just one Make it Rain. You should be able to do this by level 6 or so. In the early levels you want to activate Make it Rain and you will have severely lowered the creep waves health, just quickly pick them off with last hits and earn that gold! This is really all you need to do to be an effective farmer with this build. I would dare say Miss Fortune with this build is the most effective farmer in the game.
Team fights are always tricky situations because it is always situational. No one fight will ever be the same and it will always vary. You will have to use a lot of common sense and intuition. But you will also obviously be relying heavily upon skill, which comes with time. Just keep practicing with Miss Fortune and learning all of her abilities. My suggestions are to stay in the back of a team fight. Always let your tanks and tanky characters go in first to initiate the fight. You want to be able to use your Make it Rain and Bullet Time abilities in safe locations so you can keep using them to add damage. While those abilities are on cooldown, make sure you are activating your Impure Shots and Surge abilities and basic attacking enemy champions. You can also activate your Ultimate ability behind walls which gives you the safest possible location.
- Try to activate your Impure Shots ability with your Surge spell at the same time. This will give you the most possible attack speed. Use this together in combination in large team fights and when attacking a tower while the enemy champion is pushed back. You will be surprised how quickly you can take down a tower with this build. This is because of Impure Shots, Surge, and
- Make it Rain is best used in combination with your Bullet Time Ultimate ability. Try placing Make it Rain behind the enemy champion, this will most likely cause them to retreat and take up the full effect of your ability. Right when you land your Make it Rain ability, be ready to come in with your Bullet Time Ultimate ability for maximum damage. These two abilities are our main damage dealing abilities. Practice, practice, practice!
Thank you for taking the time to read my guide on how to play Miss Fortune with an ability power focus. Hopefully I showed you that this build is possible and fun to play. I recommend this build for normal play, in the future I plan to try a ranked variant. But for now I will be focusing on polishing up this build and making any necessary changes. If you have success with this build, please send me a screenshot of your score! I will gladly post your score and name in this section.
** If you have any suggestions, please feel free to comment or contact me.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.