Akali Build Guide by sa94
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
I've been playing Akali for a good while and I'd figure I would give my guidelines on how to play her and see what the community thinks!
- Insanely high burst damage
- Escape master
- One of the best chasers in the game
- Energy based and low CD's
- If you dream of stealthly running through the streets of New York City at night naked, this champion is made for you
- Crowd Control her and she's useless
- She has no Crowd Control herself (apart from W slow/ potentially rylai's slow)
Runes + Masteries (focussing on passive)
Her passive: "Discipline of Force - Upon obtaining 19.5 ability power, Akali's auto attacks deal 10% bonus magic damage, increasing by 1% for every 5 ability power gained thereafter. (Magic damage doesn't affect towers, but it affects other structures.)
Discipline of Might - Upon obtaining 9.5 attack damage, Akali gains 10% spell vamp, increasing by an additional 1% for every 5 attack damage gained thereafter."
This often misleads new players to build her hybrid. Her highest damage is however in pure AP.
You only need AD for her passive (10% spell vamp), which gives great lane staying power and can make u survive dots (damage over time) early on. My runes and mastery setup gives me just enough AD for the 10% spell vamp passive (3 AD in masteries + 6,6 AD in runes).
This allows me to start off with boots and health pots which provides even better lane staying power including some good movement speed for Q proccing (activating mark of the assassin)
The other half of my passive (discipline of force) will also be activated from level 1 because of all my flat AP runes. Early game this gives a bit extra damage and makes it easier to last hit. Late game you will notice you will be dealing a lot of damage with basic attacks, this is because of all your AP.
The following items are not situational and you should always buy them:
- Hextech revolver: 10%passive+20%=30% spell vamp, great staying power plus decievable survivabillity)
- Sheen :neglectable mana, passive works wonders with Q proccing, it's a good and cheap alternative to getting flat AP to build up Q)
- Rylai's crystal scepter: Giants belt kills akali's name as a squishy and the slow is godly. since u have energy and extremely low cooldowns you should be able to chain slow everyone.
- Lich bane: After rylai's and hextech revolver you have a good bit of AP, for the same reason you get sheen you upgrade it to this, more damage into your Q, your bread and butter spell
- Rabadon's: Builds up the AP on your lich bane, makes you both proc more in your lich bane and it also boosts your ulti and E spell.
The following items are situational and depend on the enemy team composition:
- Mercury treads: Akali is easy to Crowd Control down, therefore these boots are a great choice, the MR helps as well.
- Sorcerer's shoes: get these if the enemy team has a lot of MR. If they also have a lot of Crowd Control you should consider Moonflair Spellblade for the tenacity that you would usually get with Mercury treads.
- Dodge boots: VS. heavy AD team, very situational
- Boots of lucidity: Don't like it too much, you don't really notice it that much on her Ultimate
- Zhonya's ring: Good vs. AD and for the same reason as Guardian's angel, after active you will be able to burst someone down and trade 1 for 1.
- Abyssal scepter: good vs. heavy AP team, with some free magic penetration, always good since akali is 90% magic damage.
- Hextech gunblade: A lot of akalis rush this, not the best option since the AD and lifesteal don't increase her burst as much. However, if you are having trouble staying alive/ in lane. I suppose you could rush it a bit earlier on. As a last item this is fine though. (hextech revolver, into gunblade)
- Guardian's angel: Good vs. AD team. This item's passive is also good because when you come out of GA's passive you'll most likely be able to burst someone down and trade 1 for 1.
- Banshee's veil: It works, the mana is neglectable since Akali is so vurnerably for Crowd Control and the shield provides a lot of cover for this
- Quick Silver Sash: Good item vs. suppresion and AP and Crowd Control. Get this is the enemy team's Malzahar/Warwick/Urgot is fed. Also helps against Amumu.
- Randuin's Omen: Rarely ever use this as Guardian's angel is better vs. AD. however you can get both items very very late game.
What do I not get on her and why
Rageblade: Akali does not need attack speed or any AD other than activating her passive.
Boots of swiftness/mobility: running faster may sound tempting, but akali beneftis so much more from magic penetration or anti crowd control. and don't forget, lich bane gives a good movement speed boost as well.
- Mark of the Assassin (Q) : your bread and butter spell, therefore we max this. Just by only throwing this you hit a decent amount, proc it in the next 6 seconds to get the same damage again plus your basic attack (which is boosted by sheen/lich bane).
A trick you can pull off: Q > W > wait 4-5 seconds > flash > proc first Q > throw second Q > proc second Q. This provides a double proc, with ignite it kills just about everyone in the early laning phase.
- Twilight Shroud (W) : great deception, great cover. Portable bush that boosts MR+Armour. allows double proccing and great damaging surprises. BEWARE OF ORACLES THOUGH!
- Crescent slash (E) : least useful spell because we're going AP, can be used for the final damage and spell vamping though. We max this last.
- Shadow Dance (R) : Q>R>Proc. you will need to do this a lot in order to harrass. R is also good for escaping. W>R to minion. Maximum of 3 stacks, 25/20/15 seconds for every stack. you will get one on a kill or assist. Don't use it too often, don't use it too little. you will find the balance after a while. Also good for proccing rylai's crystal scepter slow, good for chasing tanks down.
Most popular choices (by far the best if you ask me)
- really confusing if used correctly with Twilight Shroud, can flash over wall without the enemy knowing you're not still in there.
- Allows double proccing of Q, sick damage early/mid-game
- You can chase people as far as you're allowed (until you run into their team or turret) and then you let ignite burn their remaining body parts burn.
- Burning Embers provides AP, perfect for extra damage early on.
Alternative choises (I don't like these at all in comparison to the above but i guess you can try
- Exhaust: offensively, ignite is so much better because you don't need that much of a slow to burst people, since you have your ultra long range R. Ignite also allows you to do work for you when you can't reach them anymore (turret/team mates) while exhaust can't
- Claivorence: interesting choice, allows you to CV in jungle and Ulti onto for example wolves. Good escape idea but I doubt in how many situations this will save your life.
- Teleport: Haven't tried this honestly, I think it could have some potential when you teleport to a ward and burst a remaining enemy down but it's not worth sacrifising ignite/flash.
- Ghost: Ninja's like flash better!
- Cleanse: interesting, could work if enemy team has heavy Crowd control, alternatively however, you can just get Quick silver sash.
- Be aware of pink wards/oracles and detecting stealths like morgana ultimate or katarina ultimate
- Give your teammates kills, it's easy to killsteal with her but you'll get a lot of flame. Besides, you get ult stacks off of assists as well so keep that in mind.
- Juke, it's easy. You can extend any bush with Twilight shroud
- If you are looking for some High ELO us/eu players check these!
~ Westrice (US)
~ Qlown (US)
~ Wale (US)
~ SK Oce (EU)
I would like to apologize for spelling mistakes, english is not my first language!
hope you liked it and please leave criticism but do indeed upvote ;P
Any questions? feel free to ask! leave a comment i'll try to answer as best as I can