Caitlyn Build Guide by Last_Legion
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
We recommend you take a look at this author's other builds.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Agent Caitlyn - MI6's Top Agent
This is my guide on Caitlyn, she is a highly underestimated champion which people need to reconsider looking at, if you like champions such as Ashe or Warwick for chasing down enemy champions for the kill, Caitlyn is no different.
This guide will be very helpful to all new beginners to the game also to the Veterans LoL players out there so i hope you enjoy this!
--- Signed Last_Legion ---
One of the reasons Piltover is known as the City of Progress is because it has an extraordinarily low crime rate. This hasn't always been the case; brigands and thieves of all sorts used to find the city-state an ideal mark for plunder, primarily due to the valuable resources it imports to fuel its techmaturgical research. Some even theorize that it would have fallen long ago to the chaos of organized crime if not for Caitlyn, the Sheriff of Piltover. Born the daughter of a wealthy statesman and a pioneering hextech researcher, Caitlyn discovered her natural gift for investigation when, at age 14, her father was assaulted and robbed on his way home. She snuck out of her house that night with her father's rifle and tracked down the muggers from the crime scene. At first, her parents did their best to discourage her from such risky hobbies, but she was incorrigible. Wishing to protect her daughter in the only way she knew how, Caitlyn's mother began outfitting her with techmaturgical devices tailored to her sleuthing needs.
Caitlyn quickly gained notoriety, both because she was singlehandedly defeating crime in Piltover and also because she soon developed into a ravishing beauty. She never backed down from a case or a challenge, and she was one of the sharpest shots in the city-state. Her services were soon requested by Demacia to help track down a mysterious outlaw who had begun committing high-profile heists. The bandit, who always left a card with an ornate "C" at the scene of the crime, became Caitlyn's arch-nemesis. To this day, Caitlyn still searches for this cat burglar, and the chase has led her all across Valoran. She has joined the League to hone her skills and gain the influence necessary to track down the only quarry that has managed to evade her.
Caitlyn's ... Pro's & Con's
- Amazing Attacking Speed and Attack Damage
- Very High chance for Critical hits (600+ 900+)
- Can Duo any lane with any champion amazingly
- Can solo all 3 lanes by herself!
- Has a "Warding" Ability called Yordle Snap Trap saving you gold!
- Great lasting hit in Team Fights and fending off entire waves of minions
- Strong Champion throughout the game
- Less need for abilities the further into the game, your AD and AS make you POWER-FUL!
- An Amazing Farmer of Gold/XP due to her Piltover Peacemaker ability
- Low HP so can potentially die quickly
- Items can be "costly"
- Tanks can be potentially a problem
- Mana can be issue IF constantly used!
- Weak Jungler early in the game
- High Armour Champions can cause major problems !
Caitlyn's ... Her Mastery Build
Hopefully the masteries coding worked ^_^ and should be showing the masteries I choose for Caitlyn, she isvery VERY very Offensive
The masteries follow 26-0-4 pretty straight forward, you can read the mastery abilities to gain more knowledge, however this basic format is to give a vey nice Attacking Speed, Attacking Damage and Life Steal, with the combonation of Armour and Magic Penetration this is a very valuable Mastery Tree. The 4 on Utility allow you to get into battle ASAP since you need to be able to recall back to base and buy your items such as Phantom Dancer and Teleport back into your lane to get back to farming.
Caitlyn's ... Rune Build
Simply follow this
- Greater Mark of Attack Speed x9 -- This gives a very nice Attack Speed %
- Greater Seal of Critical Chance x9 -- This gives you a very nice Critical Chance %
- Greater Glyph of Critical Damage x9 -- This gives you a very nice Critical Damage %
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Speed x3 -- This Heavily increases your Attack Speed %
Thats what they basically do, I mainly chose this for Caitlyn since it allows you to hit MORE with the higher Attack Speed % given from both the Greater Mark of Attack Speed & Greater Quintessence of Attack Speed the combo of these two give a very nice amount of Attack Speed which like i said allows you to hit more, and later on this will be the game changer.
TIP ---> If you believe you may be too weak after the first 2-5 matches you can change the Greater Glyph of Critical Damage x9 .. for an Greater Glyph of Health .. ONLY! AND I MEAN ONLY! if you can not handle the Low HP in games do this quick swap.
Summoner Spells -- Recommendations!
Okay everyone has there "personal" summoner spells, this can be since some people prefer defensive and being able to stay in the lane for longer so they would use Heal and Clarity for Health and Mana Regeneration. Some prefer Smite and Ignite to allow quick minion kills and to "poison" the enemy champion to confirm the kill.
However, i recommend these!
SPACE SPACE SPACE SPACE TELEPORT SPACE SPACE SPACE FLASH
SPACE SPACE SPACE SPACE SURGE SPACE SPACE SPACE SP Exhaust
Out the four above i highly Recommend using Teleport and Flash since it allows you to recall and then Teleport straight away back to your lane, and then Flash allows you to get closer to your enemy to finish them off OR get away from being Gank'd.
Surge is very good since it boost's all your stats and makes you into a machine killer, and allowing you to just kill your target even easier than before, Exhaust is a Key summoner spell for very offensive and agressive players, it can give you the opputunity to counter such champions such as Akali Talon and Xinhao since it allows you to puncture through them with such ease allowing in essence a "free" kill since of the high damage you will inflict and be able to chase them down.
Now for the last little part on what Summoner Spells you should take, these are the 4 i would strongly recommend using but dont use two similar spells together unless, you feel its necessary, such as Teleport & Flash these do work well together since it allows you to Teleport back into your lane quickly and using Flash to allow you to get that last hit to kill you opponent, however, a better combonation would be Flash & Exhaust this is because they compliment each other's effects very well, Exhaust is going to cause your opponents Movement speed and Defence to decrease allowing you stay and cause a mass damage to them, and if they escape of some miracle Flash is going to give you that chasing ability to finish the kill. The same applies to Flash & Surge OR Teleport & Exhaust
Caitlyn's ... kills with her skills
Firstly let's run down her Abilitie's/Skills she has which allows her to be an amazing ranger and a very successful slayer.
- Headshot this ability will initiate every 8 / 7 / 6 attacks (attacks while in brush count as 2), Caitlyn will fire a headshot, dealing either 150% damage to a champion or 250% damage to a minion.
- Piltover Peacemaker Caitlyn revs up her rifle for 1 second to unleash a penetrating shot which deals physical damage to targets in a line, it deals 15% less damage to subsequent targets, down to a minimum of 40% damage.
- Yordle Snap Trap Caitlyn sets up to three traps which trigger on champions. When sprung, the trap immobilizes the champion, deals magic damage over 1.5 seconds and reveals the target for 9 seconds. Traps last 4 minutes.
- 90 Caliber Net Caitlyn fires a heavy net to slow down her target by 50% and deal magic damage. The recoil knocks Caitlyn back.
- Ace in the Hole Caitlyn takes time to line up the perfect shot, dealing massive damage to a single target at a huge range. Enemy champions can intercept the bullet for their ally. It provides vision of the target for the duration.
This is a quick overview on her abilities and what they do, as you can see her Headshot & Piltover Peacemaker & 90 Caliber Net makes a great combo together for offensive attacks, since the constant "revs" of your basic attacks will charge her up for a more critical hit attack dealing more damage, with the 90 Caliber Net this slowing down your enemy allowing you or your team mate's to chase them down.
A nice tip with your Yordle Snap Trap use this exactly how you would use a Ward, place in places to trap and tell you where your enemies are, this is a very powerful ability when used correctly.
Skill Sequence Follows
The main reasoning for this ability sequence to be as offensive as possible as well to allow you to farm your XP and GOLD as fast as possible, one main change you could do to help Ranked Games would change the Skill Sequence to the following one.
This quick switch to change the 4th Ability to Yordle Snap Trap allows you to Ward enemy locations such as Wraiths and Golems also as the Baron, this works well with a full Ranked Team which have a keen jungler such as Shaco or Warwick since its allowing them to know more infomation about enemy champion where abouts, allowing them for quick easy ambush's.
Caitlyn's ... Item Build
Right some people agree that this build is great for the chasing class which is what this whole guide is about however i do agree with the point of AD is strong as it potentially can be, so i will be writing in here TWO sets of item build, the first is the one i recommend since its allowing a very nice constant Crit % with the combonation of very high AS and a high AD which compliments very well.
Also i will write within here some changes to BOTH of the item build's which may be used if you would like to "trade" and item for another to gain a potential benefit.
Okay so from here this is what i recommend you buying as your item build:
Now this has been thought through and not just slammed together for a hopefully a good build, this has been chosen to benefit you as chaser to be able to "Chase" you enemy champion if they decide to flee. The first item to obtain is Berserker's Greaves this since it starts off the main AS which you will need and will add a +2 Movement speed. From here buy your Phantom Dancer this will build your Attack speed to a very nice speed allowing you to hit more and gives you a higher Critical Chance % I listed from here another Phantom Dancer to finish off your Attack speed completely however, i will recommend if you try this first and cannot deal with it, to buy The Bloodthirster before your 2nd Phantom Dancer this will benefit you still since it allows you to have a nice +60 Damage & +15 Life Steal this will allow you firstly to hit higher on your opponent, with this in thought it also allows you to leech any loss life back from the enemy champion and minions, allowing you stay within your lane longer. Finally to this add an Infinity Edge to further increase your Attack damage, then finally Frozen Mallet this will grant you a nice amount of HP but more importantly it grants you a slowing effect on basic attacks MEANING? ... decreasing your enemies movement speed and chasing them easier. However, this item can be swaped for another The Bloodthirster or infinty edge to grant you a very high and comfortable Attack Damage.
So from this i will show the finished build which will look like this.
- Berserker's Greaves
- Phantom Dancer
- The Bloodthirster
- Phantom Dancer
- Infinity Edge
- Frozen Mallet or instead pick ---> The Bloodthirster or ---> Infinity Edge
This will potentially compliment you more in team fight's if choose to change the last item to either a AD item, it will deal more damage to your opponent however you'll be left with less health and you wont gain the decreased movement speed ability from the Frozen Mallet
Your Unique Skills/Abilities
Within this section ill talk about the unique skills and abilities you will gain from the Item choosing and also to Two of Caitlyn abilities.
Lets talk about her Abilitie's first, Caitlyn has a very nice Passive Ability called Headshot this allows you to fire a critical shot/Higher Attack Damage shot at any target you are attacking, this ability requires you to charge it up for 6-8 basic attack's then it will show you the "ready" icon in form of a arrow or an ballistic arrow. This unique skill is very helpful in attack champions, with the combined Attack Speed and Attack Damage this passive ability is very important and allows you to kill most champions with ease.
Her second Ability which is very nice is her Yordle Snap Trap, i have already said its main feature throughout the guide however ill say it again (sorry for repitation) this ability is pretty much a Sight Ward, it is placed on the ground and allowing you to see a certain amount of area for 4 minutes, this trap also will ONLY trigger when an enemy champion walks on it so it is advisable to use it within the long grass to keep it infiltrated/stealthed.
From here comes your items, ill put these within the list and a description of what the item gives you.
- Berserker's Greaves - The ability gained is small but allows you a +2 movement Speed, not a massive ability gain however it allows you to chase your opponent easily.
- The Bloodthirster - Appart from the nice AD and LS you gain, it has a very nice passive which does the following, gain +1 Damage and additional +0.25% Life Steal, this can stack up to 20 Damage and 10% Lifesteal, this is a very nice passive since it's giving you additional damage and lifesteal making you into a machine killer.
- Frozen Mallet - This passive ability grants you a nice -40% Movement speed when you attack your opponent, this allows you to easily chase your enemy champion.
So heres the Ability and Item passive unique abilities you will gain.
Caitlyn's ... Farming your Gold/XP
This section is going to be very small since it only require's three things to allow you to farm XP and Gold of minions, and this is how
- Weaken a 2-3 out of 7-9 minions
- Use Piltover Peacemaker and line it up through as many minions as possible and including the near killed ones you have weakened
- Repeat till satisfied with GOLD and XP intake
This is pretty simple to do.
You CAN also Killsteal however i will not justify the needs on how to kill steal your allies kills since i believe this is wrong since your taking away there hard work. So please DO NOT DO THIS ! ! !
Caitlyn's ... Ninja/Assassin Potential
This is just a idea not a set in stone process that Caitlyn can do, this can possibly work with a very skilled user of Caitlyn and i will explain this idea/thought.
Caitlyn could be a great assassin to choose since her mass Attack Speed and Attack Damage, is allowing you to get in quickly and out quickly killing the enemy champion, which is what assassin's a great at doing, however she can also Ward area's with Yordle Snap Trap and placing these within the enemy jungle will allow you to spy on enemy movements, therefore allowing you to creep and stealth within tall grass and suprising your enemy champion.
This is only a suggestion/possibility which could be further thought on and placed through trialing, through changing items to suit the constant movement and damage need.
-- COMMENT BELOW FOR YOUR THOUGHTS ON THIS --
How to use Caitlyn ... Team and Solo
Caitlyn is a ranged champion which i have chosen to go down the path of a very high AS and high AD build which allows you to give chases to enemy champion's however there a key areas ill list on how to use Caitlyn within your lanes.
- You should mainly concentrate using your basic attacks to "harass" the enemy champion, when you believe low enough HP start to use your abilitie's to finish the kill.
- Farm your XP as fast as POSSIBLE! you have to remember you are a Carry, so you need to gain levels faster than you opponent and gain items quicker to become stronger or as noob's call it "OP (Over-Powered)"
- You should assist the middle lane when its needed, if more than one champion hits that lane, you should be there before anyone.
- In Duo lanes, make sure your the last out of your pair to goto base, to gain items, this will allow you that extra few seconds (potentially minute) in gaining more XP than your partner. The help of Teleport will allow you to get back in lane faster than your partner.
- When solo and fighting the enemy champion make sure you have a up too the The Bloodthirster within the guide or second item build, this will allow you to gain the kill 9/10 times, since the high AS and AD aid your LS gaining more HP making you into a Machine Killer.
- Finally, if you prefer top lane than bottom lane, use the long grass in between both sides as an "assassination" location, (its located in the middle section followed up by the river)
These are my tips and how you should work as a team player and as an agressive solo fighter, if anyone would like to consider any more i will gladly read and think about putting it in =)
Caitlyn's ... Summary Notes
Heres the Summary of Caitlyn with this build and playing style.
- Caitlyn will become an "machine gun" with such a high attack speed from the Phantom Dancer x2 and Berserker's Greaves you will buy.
- Caitlyn is very good farmer for XP and Gold (when used correctly)
- Caitlyn has potential to become a great Assassin, if people trialed it.
- Caitlyn is an amazing ranged carry, and i believe in the top 3 strongest carrie's
- Caitlyn is just a pure BEAST and enjoyment to play with
- Caitlyn is very versatile, and isn't just set to a heavy AD build or Build like mine, she can be built in more way's which will benefit you the player when playing as her!
-----> Thank You Note <-----
Thank you to the following people for constructive comment's which helped make this guide better for everyone to read and for everyone to play as the mighty Caitlyn
- Jhiojhio -- Helped contribute with BB Coding for the Ability Sequence Section.
- IceCreamy -- Constructive comment which effected Item Build
- WhiteJarate -- Constructive comment which will effect Mastery build later on
- SnowCherry -- Constructive comment which supplied extra information for Con's for Caitlyn
Thank you guys for giving me this information making the guide better for everyone else, I will also add in 3 sections later for people to recommend there Item and Mastery Build. This will allow people to try more item builds and mastery builds for Caitlyn
Thank you Everyone.
<---> ... Updates ... <--->
- - Guide Written
- - Cons updated thanks to comment
- - Item build changed to help player, thanks to comment
- - BB Coding for other Champion's throughout the guide such as ---> Warwick
- - BB Coding to add colours for guide
- - NO MORE UPDATES FOR NOW
Later Updates Will follow:
- - Other people's item build section
- - Other people's mastery page build section
- - Potential update on Mastery Page
- - An entire additional build guide for Caitlyn to focus on AD Heavy instead AS Heavy