Akali Build Guide by Zippo33
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
We recommend you take a look at this author's other builds.
Mastery Tree Is Outdated
WARNING: These masteries are still using the old tree and have not been updated to the new tree by the guide author. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
A prodigious martial artist, Akali began training with her mother as soon as she could make a fist. Her mother's discipline was relentless and unforgiving, but predicated on the fundamental principle: "We do that which must be done." When the Kinkou inducted her into the order at the age of fourteen, she could slice a dangling chain with a chop of her hand. There was no question – she would succeed her mother as the Fist of Shadow. She has had to do much in this role which others might find morally questionable, but to her it is in service of her mother's inviolable doctrine. She now works with her fellows Shen and Kennen to enforce the balance of Valoran. This hallowed pursuit has unsurprisingly led the triumvirate to the Fields of Justice.
"The Fist of Shadow strikes from the cover of death itself. Do not impede the balance."
I highly reccommend that you watch this, Its old but you get the idea of who Akali is and how to play her.
Pros / Cons
Akali has many different pros and cons. If you like playing assassins with amazing amounts of burst damage then she is probably the character you've been looking for. She takes a while to master but when you do it will be worth the time and money. I highly recommend you to buy her if youve got the extra rp or ip.
+ Amazing Burst Damge
+ Movability Shadow Dance
+ Tank killer
Okay, so you might think that the masteries in offence look a little wierd. Bear with me, dont just look at them and go "This build sucks". With the runes I use,which you will see next, I go straight AP runes with just a smidge of AD. So to get her passive that heals her for some of the damage, I need attack damage. So I put masteries on AD to get it faster.
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration
Greater Seal of Scaling Health
Greater Quintessence of Ability Power
Greater Mark of Attack Damage
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration: These marks will let you deal more damage early to mid game. If youre going solo top you'll need these for whichever "off-tank" you have to fight against. I wouldnt replace these runes for anything else.
Greater Mark of Attack Damage: You need these marks so that you can get your second passive as fast as possible. But the choice is yours. You can get the second passive by level 13 with the masteries if you so choose.
greater seal of vitality: Akali is a very squishy champion in early game. These seals help counter that.
Greater Seal of Armor: If you would rather have armor over health you could also choose these seals.
Greater Seal of Ability Power: These aren't my first choice for Akali but if you feel that you arent doing enough damage early game you can pick these seals up.
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: If youre going mid then these are a MUST HAVE. Theres no way around it. When you go mid you'll normally be facing an AP Caster. These magic resist runes will help you counter them and sustain your lane longer than normal. I wouldnt go with any other Glyphs.
Greater Quintessence of Ability Power: Who doesnt want an extra 15 Ap at beginning game? I love these quints and would change them for the world. The let you deal mor damage along with your Marks.
The Good the Bad and the Ugly Summoner Spells
Flash: Teleports your champion toward your cursors location. I always have flash on. It can help you in many different situations. It can be an offensive and defensive summoner spell.
Ignite: Ignites target enemy unitdealing 70-410 true damage over 5 seconds and reduces healing efects. I cant tell you how many times Ive gotten first blood from using this summoner spell. It really helps out beginning to mid gsme.
Ghost: Your champion ignore unit collision and has 27% increased movement speed for 10 seconds. This is usually a chasing tool, it could be used for escaping but I would rather use flash for escaping. I wouldnt recommend this for new Akalis.
Teleport: Teleports your champion to friendly turret or minion. I use this spell every-now-and-then, it helps out in sticky situations like when an enemy champion is pushing to your turret you can teleport there and save it. I would recommend this to new Akalis
Exhaust: Exhausts target champion, reducing their movement speed by 40%, attack damage dealt by 70%, and ability and item damage dealt by 35% for 2.5 seconds. Akali can perform some of the best ganks in the entire game. But the only flaw is that she has no CC. But this fixes that and during teamfights you can shut down their AD Carry for 2.5 seconds which could win you the fight
Heal: Restores 100-525 health to your champion and 505 of that to nearby allies. Only beginner akalis should take this. If its your first couple of games with her then you can take this, otherwise, no.
Cleanse: Revomes all summoner spells and debuffs on your champion and lowers the duration of incoming disables by 65% for 3 seconds. If you ever find yourself in a situation where you need this just use your Twilight Shroud. Plain and simple. Ive never needed this summoner spell in all of my games.
Revive: Instantly revives your champion at your teams summoner platform and increases your champions maximum health by 220-560 fro 2 minutes. If youre having the worst day ever I guess you can try this out. Otherwise, no. Just no.
Smite: Deals 445-870 true damage (depending on champion level) to target enemy minion or pet. Yes I have actually seen a jungler Akali. I havnt personally tried it but any expearienced Akali player could jungle her. She doesnt have a good sustain in jungle but the ganks she can provide are insane.
Clairvoyance: Reveals a small area of the map for your team for 4 seconds. A support Akali? NO.
Clarity: Restores 190-700 mana to your champion and 50% of that to nearby allies. Akali doesnt use mana....
Ability Explanation and Ability Sequence
Upon obtaining 20 ability power Akalis
hits deal 8% bonus magic damage increasing
by 1% for every 6 ability power she has
Upon obtaining 10 attack damage Akali
gains 8% spell vamp increasing by an
aditional 1% for ever 6 bonus attack damage
Akali spins her karm at a target enemy
to deal 45/70/95/120/145(+40% of ability
power) and marks the target for 6 seconds
Akalis melee attacks attacks against that
target wil ignite it dealing 45/70/95/120/145
(+40% of ability power)
Akali throws down a cover of smoke that
lasts for 8 seconds. While inside the area
you gain 10/20/30/40/50 armor and magic resist
and becomes stealthed. Enemies inside the smoke
have their movement speeds reduced by 14/18/22/26
Akali flourishes her karmas hitting nearby
units for 30/55/80/105/130 physical damage (+30%
of ability power)(+60% attack damage) Note: this
can activate Mark of the Assassin
and AP Casters ( Ahri, Veigar, Swain). Once you take them out the battle and the game should be smooth-sailing. Make use of your ult, do it as many times as you can so the enemy champions cant focus you because they have no idea wher youre at.
Here it is. The reason most people even scroll down this far! The Items I choose for Akali and the reasons I choose them!
- Lich Bane:This is your main damage dealer. This item goes super well with Mark of the Assassin your damage output will be crazy. I wouldn't recommend changing this item for any other
- Hextech Gunblade:This items is any hybrids dream item. It goes well with Akali as well even though this guide plays her as straight AP. Its active is a great finisher for people you just cant get down all the way. You can exchange this item for Deathfire Grasp as well. Its your choice
- Abyssal Scepter: I did have Void Staff on her but I decided to change the items. I did the math and the 20 extra MR reduction is actually more than what Void Staff would give you. It gives you some nice AP with some durability as well
- Rabadon's Deathcap: This item is only for AP. Once you get this you enter what I call "god mode" the enemy team wont know what hit them
Other Reliable Damage Items
- Will of the Ancients: A good item that you can get beginning,mid,or late game. Gives you ability power and spell vamp so you can stay in lane longer
- Deathfire Grasp: I mentioned this item before. You can replace Hextech Gunblade for this. Its cheaper, focuses on AP (unlike hextech which focuses on AD and AP), and still gives you that great active were looking for
Now that we have discussed damage we need to talk about being able to stay in lane longer and making it out of team fights alive.
- Rylai's Crystal Scepter: Yes, I only have one item for durability in my build. BUT, that doesnt mean you cant have more. I choose this item because it gives you a good amount of health along with much needed AP and some utility along with it.
Other Reliable Items
- Guardian Angel: This item provides a good amount of armor and MR. But everybody knows the real reason you get this item. You get this item for its amazing passive that lets you defy death itself
- Zhonya's Hourglass; If you find yourself getting focused in team fights get this item and right when they start to focus you just activate it and then flash out of the battle. The enemy team wont know what happened to you and your team has a very high chance to win the battle
I hope youve learned a little bit mmore about one of my favorite champions in the League. If you have any questions fell free to PM me. If you have any suggestions about the build let me know and I will take them seriously, if you see anything wrong with my coding or suggestions to make my guide look nicer. Plese, let me know. See you on the Rift. Happy Gaming!(:
Special thanks to everyone who has upvoted my guide! It really means a lot, it keeps me going and motivated to keep improving this guide and my others.
- 8-7-12: Guide was started
- 8-8-12: After pulling an all-nighter and a half-dayer? (: Guide was published
- After playing a couple games, I reached the decision to replace Zhonya's Hourglass with Hextech Gunblade 8-8-12
- Added Spotlight Chapter 8-8-12
- 8-31-12: Added Exhaust to "The Good" Summoner spels. Meant to do it a long time ago but just now got around to it
- 9-9-12: Added Smite to "The Bad" Summoner spells.
- 9-16-12: Small Changes
- 9-17-12: Complete rework on the "Items" Chapter. Also added Abyssal Scepter to build instead of Void Staff
- 9-30-12: Small changes in coding
To Do List
- Make a FAQ chapter
- Make situational items section in the Items chapter
- Improve Coding
Akali - The Shadow Assassin
Akali: The Epitome Of An Assassin.
Akali AP pro
Dancing in the Shadows - S3 Akali In-Depth (with Video)