Amumu Build Guide by floasher
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Jungle - AP Mini Tank
Damage and Utility
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
- -Extremely powerful mid - late game
- -Strong AP scaling
- -Two devastating forms of CC
- -Very strong jungle pick
- -Banned almost every ranked game
- -Early game is tough
- -Squishy if built for damage
- -Missing skill shots can be detrimental to team fights
- -Blamed for everything
WHY NOT FULL TANKMUMU???
His skills scale 0.7:1, 1% per 100 AP, 0.5:1 AP, and 0.8:1 AP respectively. I feel that the scaling ratios should be taken advantage of and feel that Offtank Amumu works extremely well.
Though it may look strange, I have a strong explanation as to why I run these masteries in my games. This is especially adapted to the most recent changes in jungle in the 3.10 patch.
*Important changes to the jungle were:
-All jungle camps spawn at 2:05.
-Mini jungle camps all take 50 seconds to spawn, each giving slightly more exp than before.
The defensive masteries are standard for jungle. Tenacious stacks with merc treads, giving you 50% tenacity, which is insane.
More importantly, are the utility masteries.
-I bring Awareness because you will hit level 3 immediately after killing wraiths. 3 points are sufficient, and I have tested this personally. This is a major plus, since you can bandage toss sooner, making golems that much easier and ganking in your favor.
-Increasing buff durations will help with sustainability in the jungle, which is important when counter-jungled, or attempting to hit lvl. 6 early.
-When coupled with distortion, can lower summoner spell cooldowns massively and allows for excellent engages with flash.
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration is a good pick for Amumu, since most of the time, flat AP can be countered with some simple MR.
- Greater Seal of Armor is good for early game jungling and tankiness, and makes ganks on bot a lot more effective.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist is good for mid and late game, since MR isn't very effective until later in the game.
- Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed grants the user an extra pair of boots early game, and since Amumu has limited range on all of his abilities, he can sure use it.
Early Game and Jungling Route:
Jungle Path (in words):
- Start by getting your Tantrum and asking your team for a leash at Ancient Golem , which you smite to kill. Focus the biggest monster.
- To use your W-E in a camp, simply run up to the largest one, auto attack and halfway through it, hit W, let your attack hit and tantrum.
- Move on by getting your Despair and killing wolves, focusing the biggest one.
- Move on to Wraith and focus the larger, blue one. Get your Q.
- Feel free to pop some HP pots here and there, I usually do between blue-wolves and wolves-wraiths.
- Go to Golems and focus the larger one, Q onto the larger one, you might be low on hp, pop a health pot while taking the camp.
- Take Lizard Elder and smite it. (Your smite should be off cooldown)
- Move back to Wraith , which will spawn. If they aren't there you might have to wait a little, say to 3:43.
- Then head to Wolves, which you should be able to kill, if you feel like you cannot, simply recall early.
- If your team needs a gank, do so, and drop jungling to help your team, which is more important. Never, EVER, choose jungling over helping your team.
- If there is no ganking oppurtunities or your team doesn't need one, take a smaller camp and head back to base.
- Buy your Spirit Stone and Crystalline Flask and a ward and go help other lanes.
Always make sure to spam Tantrum all the time and to keep Despair up when clearing a camp. Turn off your Despair between camps. Use your Bandage Toss to travel to other camps very quickly or to gank. (Prioritize your camps, so make sure not to Bandage Toss onto wraiths when mid is getting ganked, since it has a long cooldown early game). Make sure to not choose a skill yet until you know your team is not invading, or getting invaded. This is a good habit to get into.
Make sure to: WARD!WARD!WARD!
Mid Game and Your Role as Jungler:
As your role name suggests, you thrive in the jungle, giving an additional solo lane and providing a strong presence throughout the entire game. You only appear when needed and when least expected. Here is a general list of things one must be able to do in order to be a good jungler and what specifically, Amumu can do to meet these expectations.
- Providing kills for your team by ganking or ambushing lanes from the early to mid game phase.
- Helping your team, that means protecting your carries and assisting their lanes whenever needed.
- Providing Blue Buff to Mid Lane and Red Buff to the AD carry mid-late game.
- Securing objectives, such as smiting Baron / Dragon and help pushing a lane.
- Warding, as every role should be doing. But the jungler and support should be warding the most.
*As for blue buff, since Amumu is very mana dependent, only give blue to mid once chalice is completed, OR if it is obvious they need it more than you, which in most cases, is true. Exceptions are non-mana mid-laners such as Katarina.
What NOT to do as Jungler:
- Be a complete jerk. Every single person in League of Legends should be respectful and friendly, regardless of what others do. Being humble, selfless, and fun to play with is key to good games. Pointing fingers is the most idiotic thing a person can do.
- Pushing a lane when asked not to. The CS belongs to the laner and the jungler should be respectful as to who the lane belongs to. Though holding and freezing a lane is an excellent idea. Only last-hit.
- Take all the kills. You do not want to be the only fed person on a team. I personally like kills on Amumu, but still try to give it to the team carries.
- Contest camps. When an ally comes into your jungle to take a buff or take camps, let them. BUT, there is a boundary. If you are in dire need of gold/exp, tell them to back off. If the buff belongs to another laner, do the same. If the ally, however is in need of exp/gold and their lane is pushed, let them take a camp or two. It's completely fine.
- Over-pressurize the enemy jungler. If you start to over-do counter jungling, you will be punished eventually. Map awareness and speed are key to counter-jungling.
- Wait for a gank. Standing near an enemy lane for 40 seconds when the enemy is pushed is not going to get you anywhere. If it is obvious a gank is near impossible, do not bother to attempt it.
Hopefully, some of this information will get you guys to become amazing players. Note that this section was quite general and non-Amumu specific. All of these things, however, apply to your gameplay on Amumu.
This stage of the game is where one mistake will cost you and your team the entire game. The most important things during this stage are:
- -Objectives (Baron, Turrets, Inhibitors, etc.)
- -Map Awareness
Now, as Amumu, you should be either the first or second initiator in a teamfight. You always want to catch a carry out with your Bandage Toss whenever possible. Read the next chapter on information on your ultimate.
Smite should be used for securing baron.
Note: Smite activates spell vamp, so smiting a mob with 20% spell vamp will heal 200 HP at lvl 18. This can save your life.
Everyone should ward. 75g map hack.
Late game is by far the most intense part of the game, but do not be too stressed over a loss. A loss gives you time to learn from your mistakes, thus making you an overall better player.
Curse of the Sad Mummy
Curse of the Sad Mummy is one of the best ultimates ingame and provides a ridiculous teamfight presence. This ultimate is why he is banned in so much ranked play.
How you use this skill in conjunction with your other skills and teammates separates a good and a great Amumu player.
Amumu's ultimate or Curse of the Sad Mummy shouldn't necessarily be used to catch as many people as possible. Although it is an important part of how well you use your ultimate, it is not top priority. Top priority is what the result of your ultimate is that equates to the greatness of your ultimates. If you caught their carries out of line with your ult, it is better than randomly ulting, hitting all 5 people, and no one on the enemy team dying as a result.
Curse of the Sad Mummy has a 0.8:1 AP scaling, making it an AoE nuke if built with AP.
Amumu's ultimate works amazingly well with many different ultimates, so of which include, but are not limited to: Orianna's Command: Shockwave, Nunu's Absolute Zero, Miss Fortune's Bullet Time, Galio's Idol of Durand, and Ezreal's Trueshot Barrage.
Amumu's ultimate is not a stun, it is a root mixed with a blind. Opponents may not use abilities that involve movement (teleports, dashes) and cannot AA, but may use offensive abilities (ie. Ezreal's Mystic Shot.
Changelog and Future Chapters:
Since this is a WIP, I decided to put my future to do's for this guide so you guys have something to look forward to, as well as a changelog starting from 8/12/13.
TO DO: (NEAR FUTURE)
-Summoner spells (though very self explanatory)
-How to perform and defend from counter jungling
-Secondary Build for ARAM and possibly dominion. (I play very very very little dominion).
-Added Late Game Chapter
-Added Curse of the Sad Mummy Chapter
-Removed DFG from possible item build
-Added Changelog and Credits
Credits to Jhoijhoi for her wonderful guide on BBCode which I had a lot of trouble with.
Thank you guys very much for reading this guide and I hope it becomes a useful resource on playing a very offensive Amumu.
Please leave any feedback with any concerns or comments you have about this guide, but go easy, as this is my first guide on MOBAfire. Thank you very much!