AP/Off Tank Jungle
I am Thirdrev, a Silver V player. I tend to jungle more than any other role, and Amumu holds a special place in my heart, as I leveled to 30 playing almost only him. At the time I did not realize that Amumu gets banned almost every game, but I have found in S4 there are some times where he isn't banned in favor of FoTM champs.
Who is this guide for? Anybody playing Amumu in a low-elo or unranked game. Important to note is that this build should only be used if you have at least 1.5 other tanky players on your team. For example, if you have Malphite top and Leona support, your team can afford for you to be a little squishier. If you have Teemo top, and Nami support, for example, you will need to go tanky, which is not what this guide is for.
Pros / Cons
- Does an extraordinary amount of damage, even to tanks when fully built
- Snowballs quickly with only one or two kills
- Even if you don't snowball, Amu's ult is so good, you will be helpful late game to your team
- Can solo dragon around level 6 if you get an average amount of farms/kills/assists with the spell vamp.
- Can clear the current jungle quickly, and once Will of the Ancients is built, extremely high sustain
- A QER combo during a teamfight can literally win you the game
- You need other tanks on your team to be able to use this build without negatively impacting your team
- Hard CC will wreck you. This build focuses on increasing your survivability through spellvamp and resistances. If you're not doing damage, you won't get the lifesteal.
- If you miss a bandage toss as Amumu, many people will troll you. Even the best of us miss sometimes.
- You are going to want the blue buff all the time. Either you short your mid player, or you'll have to be very mana conscious throughout the game (if you can't steal their blue buff).
- Weak until he gets some items. If enemy jungler camps your jungle early, you can run into big problems without team coordination.
Will of the Ancients - This is the most unconventional item in the build for Amumu right now, but with the current jungle being tougher to clear and the current jungle items being terrible, this provides you with useful combat stats and lets you clear the jungle at a high sustained health (even with just the Hextech revolver portion).
Liandry's Torment - Fits perfectly into the build. Magic Penetration (a must in any AP build), %HP damage, and some HP.
Rylai's Crystal Scepter - The slow combined with your bandage toss make you almost impossible to escape. Your W will slow an escaping or chasing enemy. In addition, the slow off the scepter doubles damage taken from liandry's. More AP and HP, ideal.
The last two major items in the build focus on increasing your resistances so that you can win wars of attrition with your lifesteal/lifeshave
Spirit Visage - 20% CDR is incredibly useful to keep your bandage toss and ult times low. Increases spellvamp effects, further bettering your ability to heal up. Magic Resist and HP to help make you tankier.
Sunfire Cape - More HP and Armor to help you trade with AP characters. The damage passive on the cloak synergizes well with your kit, but will only do moderate damage late game.
Defensive masteries primarily for late-game scaling. Enough in the utility tree to increase buff time and get you improved pots so that early game you have sustain in the jungle.
Creeping / Jungling
The new jungle gives you a few more options than you used to have when jungling as to the route you have to take. Amumu has to start blue, of course, and enemy teams often invade his blue early to try and shut him down early game. Be ready for that. If you aren't invaded, Hit the wolves after the Lizards and look at your map. Decide at this point which lane you are most likely to be ganking after you clear the next camp, or if you don't think you can/should gank for a few more levels.
Is one lane pushed very far towards your teammates tower? Is one laner already significantly injured? You're going to want to go to that lane next. If all of your lanes are pushed to towers, or your lanes are not set up for a gank for another reason, keep jungling and go for an early 6. Your route With the amount of pots you have from the start, combined with masteries, you can clear every mob in the jungle and get out at about full health on the first time through. If you're not doing an early gank, finish off the new Wraith camp after wolves, then head over to the 4 wraith camp and clear that side of the jungle next. The solo lane near your red camp should have used their warding trinket in the bush near your red buff so you can monitor if somebody is trying to steal it and kill you there.
If you will probably need to gank the lane near your blue buff pre-level 4, go blue buff -> wolves -> big wraith -> gank lane.
If you think you'll need to gank the far lane from your blue buff, go Blue -> wolves -> Red -> lane.
Keep in mind if you do either of the gank routes, you will need to change the skill order from the one in this guide to ewqe instead of eweq.
Amumu is weak early, so your goal is to hit 6 as fast as possible. The sooner you get your ult, the sooner you can go to your bott lane for an attempted double kill.
Use your ward finding trinket! If you eliminate their ward not only do you et some extra gold, but they may not be able to replace it!