Katarina Build Guide by Annubisz
Mastery Tree Is Outdated
WARNING: These masteries are still using the old tree and have not been updated to the new tree by the guide author. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
''The Sinister Blade of Noxus is like a black widow - Beautiful, but deadly''
Katarina Is a really fun champion and really powerful Assasin almost everybody or everybody play her AP, I tried to play her tank and AD and then Hybrid and I really liked the hybrid build I tried it on a 5v5 game and I was amazed of her AD potential, and Scale whit both AD and AP that make this build work. also whit her teleports on the champion's back and then AA to win. Other good thing about Katarina is that she can go either Top or Mid lane.
Pros / Cons
+Can lane both top abd mid lanes
+Great mobility whit Phantom Dancer, Trinity Force and Shunpo
- Katarina ultimate can be easlily countered whit a stun
-one of the weakest champion until lvl 6
-Useless in teamfights until lvl 6
Late game Katarina is more AD than ap but still hibryd i take this masteries to max my AD critical damage
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Ability Power
Greater Quintessence of Ability Power
- Greater Quintessence of Ability Power:this will make you be more hibryd as a hibryd you need to have AD and AP balanced
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration:All Katarina spells are magic damage this will penetrate some champs magic resist
- Greater Glyph of Ability Power:same description as quints
- Greater Seal of Armor:this will make you be more hard to kill I usually go top and almost all solo top champs are Tanky/ad so this runes make me be harder to kill
Flash:this summoner spell is good for chasing and for scaping when im scaping i flash to a near minion/ward/champion and Shunpo on it and when chasing i use it to land Shunpo and get a kill
Ignite:this is good when you are using your Death Lotus is like a execute, if they dont die whit Death Lotus Shunpo Bouncing Blades and is too far to make a Auto attack Ignite would kill them
Teleport:this is good when you are solo top but i like Flash more because it help me on late game
- voracity:I think this is the best passive ever when you Katarina a kill Bouncing Blades, Sinister Steel and Shunpo ger theyr cooldowns reloaded also Death Lotus get 1/2 reloaded cooldown
- bouncing blade (Q):Great harassing and overall damaging tool, good for lane and can control it quite well, high AoE DMG and it's power can harass all 5 of enemies and get them to 75% of their health in pre-team fight phase, which is a lot.
- killer instincts (W):Quite a nice addition to Katarina, use it before team fight when you Shunpo in, and use it with Bouncing Blades at the laning phase or when you have to gank a healing champion.
- shunpo (E):One of best mobility skills in game, it scales purely on AP so we take max it second since range is same at all times, you can use it to get to your targets or away from them.
- death lotus (R):The reason people don't like Katarina in ranked, this ulti is easy to interrupt, but the truth is, if you can position yourself properly and time it well enough, you will ATLEAST get 3-4 seconds which is still amazing DMG for this skill, and it is not your main focus anyway.
I max Bouncing Blades first because it is useful for farming lane phase lasts 13 levels you finish maximising Bouncing Blades so it help me to be stronger and win lane
: 20 magic penetrationthis boots are the best boots on Katarina because all her spells are magic damage this will make you ignore some magic resist
:the main item on this build this will make your late game easier whit just Shunpo auto attack and Bouncing Blades
:this will boost your Infinity Edge and give you some moviment speed that is really important for Katarina
:this is your early game item it will make your Bouncing Blades and your Death Lotus deal a lot of damage
:this is your late game core item a critical of 250% and the Trinity Force passive will do a lot of damage
- :this will boost your Trinity Force and your Infinity Edge this is just a survival item
Katarina have a great power in lane when she gets lvl 4, lets talk about laning...
at level 1 Katarina priority is last hit the low hp minions at level 2 a point in shunpo would be needed to run from the ganks, at lvl 3 Katarina Bouncing Blades CD is reduced and is getting ready to harass at level 4 Katarina starts to be the most annoying champ ever last hits whit Bouncing Blades combined whit Sinister Steel to last hit and harass the enemy champion at the same time at level 6 katarina starts to get kills all you need to do is
hit him a couple of times whit Bouncing Blades
and then Sinister Steel> Shunpo> Death Lotus> Bouncing Blades and if they don't die Shunpo>Auto Attack ignite him if it is needed
repeat this every time you are in lane
Katarina is all about timing you can't just Shunpo on somebody and start your Death Lotus you need to wait the tank to start the fight Shunpo on the squishy and start Death Lotus or else you will instantly die always focus their ap burster like Lulu le blanc Annie because they die easy and they burst the tanks
Tips and tricks
- Bouncing blade (Q):Don't use it to last hit all the time, instead you can use it to harass the enemy champion, use it every time it is available to use, when a minion is low you can use it to last hit it and if there is not minion to last hit use Sinister Steel and throw it to the nearest minion to harass the enemy champion, always remember that when you are laning versus a champion that heals like Vladimir or Dr. Mundo or when the enemy champion have heal pots always use Sinister Steel followed by Bouncing Blades to cut their heals.
- Killer instincts (Q):when you use Sinister Steel followed by Shunpo
you reduce 35% damage that will help you to survive or to start a fight also when you use Sinister Steel followed by Bouncing Blades it do max damage to all units and reduce their healing by 50% very effective versus Vladimir and versus Dr. Mundo.
- shunpo (E):Use this skill to get into your enemies and use your Death Lotus, make sure to combine it with Sinister Steel before you do, when you finish Death Lotus almost all the champs will be low be sure to use Shunpo on the nearest enemy to kill him then do it again until you get the Quadra or the penta kill you will be able to do this thanks to your passive Voracity.
- Death lotus (R):This is the key to win lane versus a Cassiopeia is to Shunpo to her and cast Death Lotus the trick is that she will stand on your ult and cast Petrifying Gaze it won't stun you because you are spining and it will slow you she would try to Flash and you follow her whit Shunpo getting a easy kill. also you can use it to detect invisible enemys like Twitch, Shaco, Evelynn and Teemo.
I hope you liked this build try it i think you would like it ;)
Don't forget to Vote and comment i will update this guide
4/15/12:Spell corrections, Added images and new chapter added
4/15/12:More images Added and new chapter added
Your AP Katarina Du Couteau Resource (dont play with knives)
[S3] Katarina - The Shinigami
Katarina - Here, have another blade.
[S3] French Killing - Pentarina