Twisted Fate Build Guide by Awesome Pwnage1
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Twisted Fate Build
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
I present Awesome Pwnage1's Guide to AP Twisted Fate-
Pros / Cons
Whenever I start a guide, I find it incredibly crucial to actually explain the guides weak points. I find it necessary to do this and if anybody thinks that it is an outlandish affair then please, we can talk. I will commence to start with the Pros.
2. Great Ganker
3. Excellent Mid-Lane
4. Great in Team Fights
5. Accels in both 3v3's and 5v5's
Explanation- Here are the reasons behind my rambling. For starters, yes, TF has multiple AP nukes. I don't know about you people, but I always found myself KS'ing people with even a simple Yellow Card. This guide expresses an all-around good ability to drop lots of burst damage with both your abilities and basic attacks. You become a great asset in many situations. Second, he's a very good ganker in any build because of. It is just an all-around great assassin-like ability to put it just. My favorite aspect of the build is playing TF in the mid lane. I don't play him in the other lanes unless using , in which you need massive farm and gold. However, I find it necessary to tell everyone about the shear power of TF in the mid lane. You can dominate some of the best mids in the game because of one move. , This is just the bread and butter on TF. With decent AP scaling and one of the longest ranges in the game, he is just one all-out beast machine. Great in team fights, this is not as much so anymore. Long ago, there was a time when Yellow Card provided and AOE stun. TF was literally unstoppable all the time. However, it was reduced to single target since it was so OP so you have to make due with picking one particular target that your team can pick off. Your can piss anyone off if used correctly. If you can pop in on some person and just drop them after they thought about getting away then I say go for it. is one ability that can change the game quite a bit if used correctly. Finally, I have tested this build in multiple scenarios and maps. This build accels on both maps aside to popular belief. It can just tear some fools up in solo lane with an alternation between and (Blue Card). I will now move onto the Cons.
2. Sort of Squishy
3. Takes some skill
Explanation-First of all, I would like to remind people that this build isn't perfect and is still always subject to change. These are the biggest problems and I have a pretty good time and I work around them. Blue Card is just a must. If you don't know how to regain mana and you aren't patient about it, then this build may not work for you. You should already have mana regen runes, but still hogs a ton of mana early levels. Blue Card is an extremely useful nuke that you can use to last-hit minions. It may seem like a hassle at first, but once you hit about 7, then you'll be casting like a mofo (pardon my French). Next, is a part that isn't a big deal. AP TF isn't supposed to be a tank and AP is a lot more durable than AD TF. So, this shouldn't be the biggest hassle. Last, this takes some time to get used to. I had a hard time playing AP at first, but once I got the hang of it, I owned.
Competition For The Mid-Lane
Some people think that
gets owned by such champions as
, but this is not the case and can be avoided in many, many cases. So the point of this section is sort of an intro on how to avoid and play against some of the opponents that you may find in mid. I will add champions as time goes on, but these are the ones that people will probably have questions on.
1. - Such a pain in the ***....There are a few ways that I would combat Corki and this is how I do this. Corki's Missle Barrage is really the thing that you have to worry about. Although this is sorta hard to hit someone with, his nuke that comes along could be lethal. Always run perpendicular to Corki in avoidance of his Ulty. It's a skill shot while your is just a relevant area shot and is a little easier to lane with, plus the range is pretty good. Stay out of his close ranged and then you're golden.
2. - You may think that this doesn't look good, but trust me, it's a cake walk. is really Vladimir's only means of hurting you early game. Just keep him at bay while using and you may actually find you pushing the lane. His and should probably prove to not be that much of a threat.
3. - By far, my least-favorite champion in the game. I bet that she's fun to play, but when fed, there's just no stopping her. My best advice involves just staying out of her basic attack range and beware of your ult. I keep her at bay with and that proves to be a good means of defense. Also, don't get stunned and thrown into a wall or a turret because a good Vayne may make a good strike to pop you in two hits.
4. - One of my favorites to play. The best combat is to deny him minions and prevent him from getting any minon kills or champion kills. Try to stay out of range of his to prevent getting hit by a nuked-up. If caught in the middle of his stun. do not go towards the edge but instead, click around inside of the circle and try to avoid his nuke.
5. - One of the best mids in the game. Her,Sigil of Silence combo, you may take massive damage. My only advice is to try to catch her out of position with a Yellow Card and make her take Turret Damage. Keeping her at bay with is crucial and this may present itself as an extremely hard lane to play against.
6. - Mirror lane is especially hard to do on TF. It has personally never happened to me so I don't exactly know how to effectively combat this. This is how I would put it. Stay away from the direct front of your opponent. That is where they usually aim towards the front of themselves. The 45 degree angle that splits the other two cards from the center one grows as it travels so try to stay back and dodge his attack then come in with a of your own. Then aim the crosshair close to where they may eventually be moving and get a little preemptive strike.
7. - This could prove to be a challenging lane if the Kennen is well-played. Kennen is a great mid considering that he doesn't actually have to leave the lane for mana. So, you have to keep that in mind when fighting him. Dodging his should prove to be pretty easy if you sit back behind your ranged minions. Then evade his with a Yellow Card and you can bring in as much pain as he can.
8. - A very intimidating champion in many ways. His snare is pretty inaccurate and it usually doesn't succeed as far as I've seen. If you can, make him pop his and make him lose mana. A Swain without mana is not a Swain at all. If you can make him pop his Ultimate in defense, then you won't really have to worry about him as an offensive power with and of his other short-ranges abilities.
9. - A very powerful youth is how I would put it. It's no wonder that she gets banned in ranked games. She is a very powerful mage and is incredibly unpredictable. The biggest threat of all is her is what she'll usually lead with for the stun them move into the bear. It can prove to be a very difficult lane and needs to be treated with caution. My best advice would be to stay out of range of and to stay back to cast to harass. Just stay back and don't foolishly think that you can take her. Because odds are, she still has some burst damage regardless of level.
10. - A very OP champ early game. This champion was created with the desire to win games fast and early. Always run perpendicular to her and odds are it won't hit if you're running in this way. Also, beware of in the grass. It could mean the end for you and set up a Don't stay in lane if you're low on HP. Caitlyn can snipe you from across the map, and unless you have someone to take the hit for you, I don't condone doing so. Other than that, just do your best.
These are the champs that I seem to have the most trouble with, but there is always room for more changes.
I take standard caster runes for the most part aside from CDR. My runes work for me and I think that they would work for the common public as well. Here are my Runes.
1. - The magic pen is just fabulous for any AP caster or any character that scales with AP. It is a helpful set of runes that really just can change the entire game for everyone. It helps negate the need for and . It is just an all-around great piece of pre-game build and I highly recommend it's use.
2. - This is nearly a must-have for this guide. I can't play without mana regen and it is such a crucial resource and I don't like to run out of it. I highly suggest that everyone that uses this guide also uses these runes as well. They already give you the benefits by stacking with your and it is not a hindrance in any way. I like to have at least one set of mana regen runes just for the sake of the utility of having them. I like these runes and they should suffice.
3. - This is the rune that puts the "umph" in your spells early game. It helps out with some early game AP and they are great for early-game. I use them because they can make up for not getting fed parcially or if you just need a boost against a hard mid-lane opponent. I don't see why not to use them. Many people go with all of the Potency series on some casters like , but I use them sparingly and it really does seem to work for me.
4. - OMG....It's the most original thing to add to the build in the world. Like many people, I just find the 46 hp that they give to be a good addition to any early game pursuit. They just all-around boost what you don't itemize for. It could mean life or death in some confrontations. I use these runes on nearly every caster because they took me forever to get and I don't like not having them. They Utility that they bring to the table is somewhat unmatched by many of the other Quints that you can buy and they've never failed me so far, so I'm sticking to my roots on this one.
- If you just can't get enough; then here you go. This is definitely one rune that I would not mind picking up. Aside from boosting your ability power, it boost the outcome of your game. The harder that your hit......the better.
Wha-wha-whaaaaat? 9-0-21 on a caster? Who would of thought that that might of been the case. This is the standard caster set-up that I use and it has seemed to work for many people so far, so I'm just gonna keep the trend going. I will an explanation on the majority of the talents that I use.
Offensive Tree-I start off with, of course, some ability power boosts in with 3 points. I then take one in critical strike because it may compliment your later on, and that item in combination with this talent might result in a massacre. Who knows....Next I get some talents in CDR for the sake of staying consistent. It stacks with the and , so I pick it up to compliment both. Next I get one point in Spell Pen. I take this talent to assist and support buying my .
Utility Tree- I start off my Utility Tree with grabbing a point in CDR on my Summoner Spell Ghost. This is just a good talent to take and it considers that it is supporting the talents that you will pick up later. The next talent I get assists with my HP and mana regen. It's like a Philosopher's Stone in talent form!!!! It's so exciting that you just have to pick it up. Next, I get 4 points in EXP. gain so that I will far surpass the other lanes to set up ganks and make them easier to pull off. I like to get minion fed and this really assists me in all manners of the sense. Next, I get 3 points in mana regen per 5. That already compliments my and that just helps it stack upon itself. 3 mana regen per 5 seconds may not sound like a lot at first, but it helps you be conservative. Next I get 2 points in neutral monster buff longevity. I take the these because of the Blue Buff. You may want to change this on 3's, but I leave it on anyway to help with the shortness of all the buffs on that map. Golem may prove to be very useful. You can have someone help you get it, or you can just kill a jungler for and easier steal. Next, I get movespeed and a point in flash as a summoner spell cooldown. I take movespeed so that I don't have to invest in . It's just a really good investment in my opinion. You should always pick up CDR in your summoner's if you can. It just supports the last talent that you get and really enhances it to its fullest. Finally, I finish with some points in CDR in general and summoner spells. This is just a really, really good talent to have. It almost negates the need for any runes in the CDR department at all. I think that all of the masteries that I have chosen should suffice and they work well for me. If anyone has any other ideas then by all means, leave a comment.
MTV puts it best, this is where the magic happens. I really do like this part of the build. This is where I actually get to express the meaning of the build and what I use it for. The items is the place where my build is just different form other peoples and it's really kind of fun to express that . So without further wait, here are my items for AP Twisted Fate.
1. This is just the big wa-hoo for AP/mana using casters. This item just all-around increases your characters stats. This is the reason why some people choose to stack these early game, because their value is often overlooked. This item gives you a sufficient amount of mana regen, health, and AP. It's just an all-around good item to start out with and I use this most of the time. I will sometimes replace it with , but that is only if the team is incredibly heavy in magic damage. This item is just a great starting item in any build of an AP champ in my opinion. It's great for beginners and I think that it should definitely suffice.
2A. These are the boots that I get in almost every 3v3 because you don't really have to shift your uses as much when going against a smaller team. These boots provide TF with a decent amount of Magic Pen which stacks upon your runes and masteries already, so they can be replaced if it deems necessary and just pick up a to replace the loss. I usually only pick these up if the team has almost no CC=Crowd Control Effects- Things such stuns, slows, impairments. There is another pair of boots that I usually pick up instead of these if the circumstances are correct. All-in-all, a pretty good pair of boots to pick up if you have the money.
2B. Tenacity for the win. Thanks to some recent comments on my Amumu build, I now know that Tenacity doesn't stack and that merc. treads provide the most tenacity at 25. So this is my view upon this subject. If the team has any major Ults that have potential of killing me or if they have ults like , then I usually pick up the merc. treads. It just makes it a more enjoyable experience if you can get out of those stuns with some minimal damage. A well-timed Ult could mean your total destruction. I suggest even picking this up if you have a heavy AP in your lane such as to help with your survivability just a hair.
2C. I used to think that these were necessary on AP TF. The truth is, they aren't always that necessary. The plus 3 movespeed is good in some situations, but since your boots are usually one of your first buys, then you may want to invest in something that gives you something a little more useful. TF's movespeed with just a basic boot is about 412 which I think is pretty good for not having any other movespeed. I just think that the only reason to get these is to combat or with a little faster dodging ability. Some people may think it a pain to invest in others, but these are not my favorite choice.
Kage's Lucky Pick3.Oh yeah!!! This is the core item to pick up while on your way to the . It's a really good item for early-game gold farming. The main reason that I started using this item was because I found that most of my AP TF games were either complete massacres(I pwned) or they were complete shams(I got pwned). So I tried to basically increase my overall gold farming ability. Even with I still had trouble getting enough farming in to actually be consistent. So I invested inKage's Lucky Pick to make things a little bit easiser. It's an item that works pretty well for me in the long run. It helps you get a lot more gold than expected and it builds into something awesome later-on.
4.- This is where I start to get my Ba-zing. This item is one that works so well with AP Fate in all manners of the form. If you use this item to its full potential, then almost nobody can stop you. This item grants you:
[*] 350 Mana
[*] 7 Movement Speed
[*] 30 Magic Resist
5.Even after the nerf, this still can't bring down AP Casters. The reason that they nerfed it was because casters were rushing to get this too early in the game and they were pwning face. That's true, so they decreased it from 155 AP to 140 AP. That sounds like a reasonable trade, but it isn't going to stop our pure determination to go and grab this item. The 30% AP boost could make you a maniac if you use it correctly. If you pick this up in your harem of items then your will be hitting fools like a freight train. The whole idea of this item is just revolving around AP and if you're already getting some gold fromKage's Lucky Pick, then that only leaves more room to dominate people. Let the pwning begin!!!
6.This is where the fun really begins. You actually get to start massacring people for fun!!! I pick up this item with one purpose in mind-to reap all of its benefits. It gives you 10 mana per 5 which is very useful to use and very useful to have to stack with . The utility that it brings to the table is pretty good and I love that particular buff on the item. Next, it adds 60 Ability power. This is your main priority anyway and everyone knows to get as much as possible because this is what makes a good caster in many aspects of the term. I really do like the AP boost because it just really,really helps your moves hit harder and with more power.Finally it's Unique Passive is a 15% CDR. That's just the little cherry on top for me. I don't really have room to fit CDR into my runes, so I just try to get some in my items a little bit. Great overall stat to have. The real awesome thing is that it deals damage to 30% of their current health on activation. That is huge. One could knock them out if they're attempting to turret hump or do some sort of defensive maneuver. I love the active because of the low cooldown, I think that this item is often overlooked and I really love to use it in this guide.
7. Wham, Pow, Zap!!! Three of the best sounds to be able to hear while using this item. The main reason that I pick this up instead of is because I usually already have MR from the and . So my only other means of defense are armor and I really hate Xin Zhao. I really do and if he gets fed, then nobody wins. It's just a slaughter that isn't very fun at all. So I suggest that you combat his "OPness" via one of these. This is a very useful item to have late game because of its active that allows you to take no damage, but you cannot perform any actions either. I usually tend to use this as a panic button of sorts if I'm in a rough position and this is the only way that I can even escape. It's a really great item to have.
8.Finally, I take one more Rabadon's. The shear benefit that it gives you just stacks upon itself. The 30% AP boost that it gives you also stacks, so I usually find this to be a pretty good investment. There are a ton of other things that you could replace this with and I'll be talking about it in the next section, but remember that you're a caster and this can really make you unstoppable. I tend to rush this at the end to just get an overall boost to end the game. Some people get it early.....only on Vladimir folks.
Some people are just never satisfied until they see one of these . So to make things a little easier, I put one into the alternatives for the people who want some.
1. This is one of the best items that you can have on a caster. This is a good item, but I find my alternatives to work better and more effectively. I try to things that really just enhance the gameplay for people and this is not one of those ways. I find that the mana and mana regen from and to be more than enough, but if you find yourself being rid of mana everytime, then here is your solution. is why I would go for it personally.
2.This is the other item that I would think to get. If you're just getting pounded by something like a LeBlanc, then that is where you should go. I find this item to work for itself and I like using it in certain situations, but the passive of reduction of other's MR can easily be fixed with some spell penetration. This is a really good situational item that I would recommend in some cases.
3. Not my most favorite item on AP Fate. I don't really see the point other than the health. When I play AP Fate, my goal is usually to keep my opponents away from me and avoid making contact. I have some pretty decent range and I don't usually like to slow them that far away. I guess it creates more threat than needed. So it's a pretty good choice, but not good enough to include in my build.
4.Why I don't recommend the Rod of Ages...There are a lot of reasons. One of them being that it costs 3000 gold. 3000 gold is a lot to try and get early game. You have to invest your entire mid game and maybe some early game into getting this staff.Catalyst of the Protector is a good item to have while leveling up, so that promotes you to buy it early game right? Exactly, so that's kind of ******ed to pay that much gold for that item at that particular point of the game. I don't usually like to use this item, but some of you do.
5. This is a really good item to have in certain situations. It provides HP, mana, and MR. So why not? If you need some more defenses then just pick up one of these.Plus, it has a passive to block any unfriendly spells toward your character.All in all, it just isn't a bad item to pick up if you really need it. I find it to suffice when needed and if you need some MR, then go for it.
6. This item is really fun to have. I first used it on Dotter's Veiger build. I don't really know how to explain it, but it does work. It's a good item to have in mid and early game. It gives you 12 mana regen per 5 which makes a huge difference. It also gives you some AP and CDR. I don't see why not to go for it. I think that this item helps AP TF in a lot of departments and it should be picked up if you need some more mana or AP. Not a bad item to pick up at all. I highly recommend it.
7. This is the risky snowball item of doom. I don't really like to get it every game because it is about as far away as you can get from consistent. However, if you're getting fed, then it's only about 1235 gold so I say to pick it up. It even stacks upon assists so you don't have to get kills to make it more powerful. I would recommend only picking this item up if you're in a lane with 2 opponents so that you can actually get ore than 1 farmed. It's a relatively simple item that also provides 15% CDR at 20 stacks,but use it with caution.
8. This item is only used by me to get the Magic Pen. That's what I use it for ,and I don't plan on changing my methods anytime soon. It usually only find myself getting it if I get and even then, you can just replace it with and you should still be fine. I would probably only recommend getting it early game to get some extra AP and Magic Pen. Other than that, you should be content with what you already have.
1. Cleanse is a really good spell to have if you have fools like Morgana or Lux in your lane. This can ensure that if you get stunned or slowed, then you can escape. I really find that I don't need this since I have , but in ranked games, you may want to have it. It could prove to be a very valuable asset.
2. A very useful spell on AP Fate. This spell stacks on and can make for a very powerful approach. I usually go for this on a support Fate, but in mid, you never know who is going to gank you, so you can make sure that you're safer if there is a jungler around. I personally don't grab it because there are two sides on mid and you can only cover one, so I just use it to ward Baron or Dragon, so it isn't really all that useful and should be held by the support.
3. Map-Control. That's what you need it for. I know that you have ,but you're in the mid lane, and if you're going against a tough opponent, then you may want to go back to base and immediately get back to mid. I find this not to be a problem at all, but instead I think that it is rather a good opportunity to get things done. and combined can really go for some great map control. It's just one of the best things to have in a lot of cases. Definitely a good summoner to have if used right.
1.Pffffffft.......Why? Why would you use such a horrible summoner spell. It's just really, really bad. The only way to make it scale with AP is to pick up a talent, and I don't have that kind of patience. So just, don't.
2. Doesn't even exist anymore. They removed it in season 1.
3. It's just a lazy excuse to not take resurrection time. It really is awful. Only ignorant Poppys take that sumoner. It's just bad....so bad.
4.The only people that need this are junglers.It's just ridiculous to think that any AP Twisted Fate would actually pick up this Summoner Spell. My advice, stay away from it because you don't need it.
Summary and Ending of Epic Proportions