Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
I wanted to contribute for quite some time now so this is my guide on how to effectively play as my favourite tank in League of Legends - Cho'Gath.
Pros / Cons
+ Large health pool
+ Good farming due to Vorpal Spikes
+ Nice laning due to his passive - Carnivore
+ Good CC capabilities
+ Fun and exciting gameplay
+ True damage ultimate
- Rupture requires some practice
- Early game mana problems if you overuse your abilities
- Very large target due to Feast stacks
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration - these give you some nice early game advantage and help secure kills.
Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration - as your skills cost a lot of mana this is a very good choice. However, if you don't have mana problems I suggest going for Greater Seal of Armor.
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist - magic resist is always important for tanks. You can also use Greater Glyph of Scaling Cooldown Reduction for some lower cooldowns.
Exhaust - great for chasing, escaping, fighting. This versatile spell is a must!
Ghost and Flash are the spells you need to choose next. I prefer Ghost but Flash is also viable.
Other possible choices:
Cleanse - another helpful spell for Cho'Gath
Fortify - good spell for tanks if you are doing a premade.
Clairvoyance - usually the support champ gets this but if they don't it's an important pick.
These are the items you should always get first:
Doran's Ring - this is a great starting item for Cho, empowering his early level harass.
Mercury's Treads - unless you face a 4+ AD champion team these are the best boots for the job.
Aegis of the Legion - health, armor, magic resist, aura and a low price what more do you need?!
Against a balanced team you should try to get a reasonable amount of resistances and some health to top it off. These are the items that you continue with after "core":
Guardian Angel - boost to resistances and helps preserve your Feast stacks.
Warmog's Armor - you also need some health to go along with those resists after all ;]
Against AD Team
AD teams are not the best idea in the world because armor isn't that hard to get by:
Thornmail - this will make most ad champs cry!
Sunfire Cape - armor and health are the two things you need now and you get them here.
Against AP Team
Force of Nature and Banshee's Veil are your top priority when facing such a team.
5th and 6th Item
If you have played tank then you know it's really hard to complete a 6 item build in a normal game. The reason for that being that you usually need to be with your team constantly and that makes it hard to farm. Also it is normally best to let the carries get the kills so that they get fed more.
Frozen Heart, Abyssal Scepter and even Rabadon's Deathcap are the items you should get at this stage.
- To ensure the best chance to land a good Rupture try to cast the spell into the path of the enemy and not directly on top of him.
- Get your Feast stacks up as often as you can. Unless there's a team fight starting soon you should feast on the first minion you see.
- Feral Scream is most useful after a successful Rupture. As soon as your target lands from the knock up cast it for some nice silence and damage.
- Because you are the tank you should always be in front of your team ready to soak up the pain. This and disrupting the other team is your main role in a team fight!
- If the opposing team has an invisible champion you should be the one to buy an Oracle's Elixir. Chances are you will live the longest so do your team a favor and buy it.
- Use Vorpal Spikes to easily last hit minions. Position yourself so that you hit the maximum possible number of targets.
This concludes my first guide on MOBAfire.
I will do my best to update and improve it over time.
If you have any suggestions or questions I will be happy to answer them in the comments.