Caitlyn Build Guide by AleksDr
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
One of the reasons Piltover is known as the City of Progress is because it has an extraordinarily low crime rate. This hasn't always been the case; brigands and thieves of all sorts used to find the city-state an ideal mark for plunder, primarily due to the valuable resources it imports to fuel its techmaturgical research. Some even theorize that it would have fallen long ago to the chaos of organized crime if not for Caitlyn, the Sheriff of Piltover. Born the daughter of a wealthy statesman and a pioneering hextech researcher, Caitlyn discovered her natural gift for investigation when, at age 14, her father was assaulted and robbed on his way home. She snuck out of her house that night with her father's rifle and tracked down the muggers from the crime scene. At first, her parents did their best to discourage her from such risky hobbies, but she was incorrigible. Wishing to protect her daughter in the only way she knew how, Caitlyn's mother began outfitting her with techmaturgical devices tailored to her sleuthing needs.
Caitlyn quickly gained notoriety, both because she was single handedly defeating crime in Piltover and also because she soon developed into a ravishing beauty. She never backed down from a case or a challenge, and she was one of the sharpest shots in the city-state. Her services were soon requested by Demacia to help track down a mysterious outlaw who had begun committing high-profile heists. The bandit, who always left a card with an ornate 'C' at the scene of the crime, became Caitlyn's arch-nemesis. To this day, Caitlyn still searches for this cat burglar, and the chase has led her all across Valoran. She has joined the League to hone her skills and gain the influence necessary to track down the only quarry that has managed to evade her.
''Go ahead, run. I'll give you a five minute head start.''
- Caitlyn, from her book 'Willing Apprehension'.
Greater Mark of Desolation
With marks on arm pen "Ace In The Hole" deals in the beginning really nice damage.
Sometimes i don't have enough mana to use my ult, so glyphs on mana regen can help me to kill my opponent.
With seals on defense i stay longer on the lane.
Quintessences of Strength let me harass very strong my enemies in early game.
- my favorite boots.
- if you stay versus Corki, Urgot, Ezreal it can help you to miss their skill shoots.
- MR, reducing CC by 35% is really nice if other team has many AP carries or CC
- must have. Its crit+your passive = 400% damage!
- more AS and crit chance.
- good item too.
- if opponents have high health tanks like Garen, Vladimir and so on.
- lifesteal is really nice for every AD carry. If you stack all 40 stacks you have huge AD and lifesteal
- AS, damage and armpen. I like it.
- some players like to buy it for more damage from "Ace in the Hole", but i advice you to buy it only if all opponents have huge of armor.
Dont buy Black Cleaver and Last Whisper together.
- if other team has many Casters/CC.
- if other team has such guys as Warwick, Malzahar, Mordekaiser its better than Banshee's Veil
- if all enemies focus you it can be a very good choice
- reducing MS and 700 health are very good. Buy it if other team has some heroes with high MS like Teemo, Miss Fortune or if you have troubles with health.
- if other team fed you and you have score like 21\0\7 buy it.
- if other team has many low health guys and they like to stay together you can try to buy it.
- if other team has Veigar or somebody else, who can oneshoot you it is a really nice choice.
- nice item versus team with high AP damage and with it you can kill enemy's tank easier.
Headshot, Caitlyn's passive. Every 8\7\6 attacks you get a headshot which deals 150% Extra damage to Champs and 250% Extra damage to minions.
Caitlyn revs up her rifle for 1 second to unleash a penetrating shot which deals physical damage (deals less damage to subsequent targets).
Because of it high range and nice damage harass with it your opponent.
Caitlyn sets a trap to reveal sneaky yordles. When sprung, the trap immobilizes the champion and deals magic damage over 1.5 seconds.
Place it in the brushes at the river for saving from the gangs. Also i place it between creeps and enemy's AD carry and dont let him farm.
Caitlyn fires a heavy net to slow her target, the recoil knocks Caitlyn back.
Jump to opponent, jump from opponent, jump through walls and save from gangs. Very good spell.
Caitlyn takes time to line up the perfect shot, dealing massive damage to a single target at a huge range. Enemy champions can intercept the bullet for their ally.
Litlle CD, epic range, high damage - cannot wish more. At lane use it for killing enemies, before team fights harass with it AD\AP carry,
I usually take
Flash can save your life or help you to reach and kill running away opponent. Exhaust can help you to kill enemy AD carry or to run away.
- not very good decision for ad carry in my opinion
- if enemy stay under the tower with low hp, use it and your ult
- you can take it, but its better for Ashe
- are you troll?
- not good
- only if you go solo top:\
- kill yourself
- hm, strange choice, but if you dont have mana on ult and want kill enemy it can help you.
Ranked Play and Team Work
Go on bot lane with support. Best supports for Caitlyn in my opinion are:
undying lane, you can stay and farm with Soraka really long. The best.
- his grab + your trap = kill
- stun + your trap = kill
- nice support too, her stun = kill
- dont like it too much because she can heal only with ult. But her shield is nice and she can save you with ult
- stay afk, let him farm and win the game.
In the beginning ask your jungler does he need your trap for cover. Where to place it you can see in the picture(blue marks for 1st team and red for 2nd)
Thirst 15 minutes stay at lane, farm and try to destroy opponent's tower, but care of gangs. I usually have 120-150 creeps at 15 minute and make 1-2 kills or more.
Harass with your passive enemies.
Be prepare for gangs of you jungler and let other team to push when he is going on your lane.
Ask your jungler to let you red.
Before team fights place your traps everywhere, harass AD\AP carry with your ult and with your physic attack(your high range lets it)
In team fight stay behind allies, focus carries, spam with traps, save your teammates with your net and traps.
Pros / Cons
-Excellent at farming
-Deals great damage
-Using your passive correctly can help to control the lane
-Can kill low hp enemies in a great distance
-Can easy save herself with the 90 Caliber Net skill
-Can change the outcome of a team fight if positioned correctly
-Great range (650) with which you can run to your enemy, hit, and run away
-All focus her in team fights
-Skills are almost useless at late game
-Ult can be blocked.
It is my first guide, so please help me with your advice. Thanks to NinjaGinge for first advice, and to IceCreamy, with traps you dont let enemy come to creeps at 1st level.