Brand Build Guide by Protòtype
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hey ladies and gentlemen! Here's a little background of Brand
In a faraway place known as Lokfar there was a seafaring marauder called Kegan Rodhe. As was his people's way, Kegan sailed far and wide with his fellows, stealing treasures from those unlucky enough to catch their attention. To some, he was a monster; to others, just a man. One night, as they sailed through the arctic waters, strange lights danced over the frozen wastes. There was something hypnotic about them; it was something that drew them to it like moths to a flame. Trekking across the frozen waste, they came to a cave covered in ancient runes. The meaning of the runes long lost to them, Kegan led the way inside. There, inside a perfect cage of ice floated a dancing column of flame. There was no way such a thing should be burning, especially not in this place. However, its movement was as hypnotic as a siren's song, captivating and seductive. While the others stayed back, Kegan could not help but approach it while holding out his hand...
That is the last thing Kegan Rodhe remembers, for now his body belongs to Brand. It is a creature of olden times, perhaps even a casualty of the Rune Wars. It is known in ancient texts as the Burning Vengeance. It is a creature of pure fiery hate that exists for no other reason than to lay waste the world of men and yordles. No one is quite sure how Brand found his way to Valoran, but he began his predations at once. Overcome by Demacian forces, he was given a choice: fight within the confines of the League or die. Naturally, he chose to use his destructive powers in the League, for now...
''This place will burn, not by cinder flying or breath of wind, but by the vengeance of my hand.''
- Constructive Feedback! -
Hello, and welcome to my Brand build.
In this Build, we'll take a look at how you should play Brand, and what items i recommend to him.
Also which Summoner Spells you should use, and why you should use it.
I will also share with you why I use items over others.
Maybe you should also take a look of what tips you should follow.
Please give me feedback! Positive and negative is appreciated, as long it's constructive!! :)
Hope you enjoy this build! : )
Brand - The Undying Flame!
- Pros / Cons -
* Awesome Damage
* AOE Damage - Super effective in team fights!
* Stun if used correctly ( Have to combine your spells. )
* Nukes targets pretty fast
* Epic farmer
*None of his skills recharge fast. Therefore,if you use all of them at one target,you'll need to wait for 5 secs or even more to use again, bad for 1vs1 fights.
*No good escape mechanism (only if u use his stun correctly,or using Flash )
*Hard to master, but you should really give him a try. Don't give up after one single game, try him 4 times or something. Worth a try!
*Can only stun one target.
- New Update! 10.03.2012 -
This is rly not a real "Update" but more like a "Hello! I'm back on track!"
It's a long time ago I've been updating this build. But i'm gonna update this so much I can do, and try to create more guides! : )
After some educational games, I have learned how to play Brand with some ability-tanky items.
With this setup you'll be able to hold out longer in team fights, cause you're always getting focused.
But you will of course do much damage as you always have done with Brand.
This build is of course not unusual for you, but with two other unusual items.
With these two items you will be able to accept more damage from AD Champions and AP Champions.
Like: AND For example.
This was my update for this week, hope you guys or girls learned something from this..
I would be very happy if you could comment, and give me some constructive feedback, like I can maybe also learn something from you people! ;)
BTW, if you're not the person who wants play your champion an it tanky, but rather more like a "NUKER" You should look at the text under this: "Brand - 100% Nuke?" :) you know, it depends of your play style! Don't forget that!
- Brand - 100% Nuke? -
If you'd rather play Brand as 100% Nuke, with no def. items at all, only very much mana combined with a lot Ability Power!
I think you should go for these items:
- - - - -
- Early Game -
Early in the game you should go for mid lane, if you are not allowed for any reason, you should go top. Well, everybody knows that Brand is more likely in mid.
But in solo Queue there is so much idiots, so you never know!
But if you are allowed to go mid, you should follow these few tips:
- Remember to farm a lot!! (Cause your expensive build.)
- Always make sure to buy boots as your first item! You dont rly need mana reg item to do your lane well, just make sure to get the second blue, or even the first. (If your jungler loves you!:) ) . You should also buy three health potions
- In your first move you should start with the ability: Pillar of flame
Thanks to it's long range, you can harass a lot without getting attacked, usually.
- After you have come in level 5-6, you must assume that your enemy is playing very defensive, probably.
This is not necessarily a disadvantage for you, you can try to zone them to keep them from getting experience.
- If your enemy already has little life left and needs to return to base, you should use the chance to push his tower, while you kill all of his minions, and then going back to base and buy two sight wards sight ward ( Because of ganks from the sides there it's dangerous. )
- Mid Game -
- Once you have reached lvl 6, you should have built your Sorcerer's boots
- Your skill order should be: Pillar Of Flame Conflagration , Sear , Pillar Of Flame and Conflagration again, followed by Ultimate: Pyroclasm
- Now the enemy will focus on you first in team fights, so make sure to stay behind your team, and do everything you can!
- Try to refrain from using your Ultimate on five enemies that is near many minions.
It will ruin the effect of your ultimate, a lot!
- Try always to make some ganks with your teammates. Always open with E-> then Q which resutls to an awesome stun, then use Pillar Of Flame . Ignite is also smart, if the target is getting away with low hp.
- At the end of the Mid Game, you should have built: Done Rylai's Crystal Scepter , Morello's Evil Tome , and maybe Rabadon's Deathcap ( If you have received enough kills or farmed a lot! ), and you should almost be done with rylai's Crystal Scepter rylai's crytal cepter . ( With good farm. )
- Late Game -
If you have survivability problems, you should go for Banshee's Veil
But if you're actually fighting against only a melee-team, you should either go for THE MIGHTY Hourglass Because of it's armor, instead of magic resistance.
This item gives you much more armor + more ability power! And thanks to Hourglass passive, you'll survive easier in the teamfights.
- Items Fact & Pictures -
In this chapter im gonna write a little bit fact about every single item. (Items you may should choose to Brand)
- 20 Magic Penetration. UNIQUE Passive: Enhanced Movement 2. Makes your ability damage stronger. Reduces enemies Magic resistance.
- 25 Magic Resistance. UNIQUE Passive: Enhanced Movement 2 Tenacity: 35. I'm normally not going for those boots, but if you're playing against a heavy Crowd Control team, you should think about buying this item. It makes you more tanky and reduces the stun/fear/slow time you get from another enemy. If you didn't understand this, make sure to comment below!
- 40 Ability Power. UNIQUE Passive: +12% Spell Vamp. Hextech is actually a rly epic item for champions like brand ( Without any lifesteal ) So, instead of buying 10000000 pots, you'll either get health by using your spells. It will also make it easier for you to do your lane. Make sure to upgrade Hextech to ->> - 50 Ability Power. UNIQUE Aura: Gives nearby allied champions +30 Ability Power and 20% spell vamp.
- 80 Ability Power, 500 Health. UNIQUE Passive: Your spell damage will slow the target's movement speed by 35% for 1.5 seconds (15% for multi-target spells and damage-over-time spells and spells with a cooldown time below 3 seconds. Brand, got a nice skill-shot stun. But how nice isn't it with a AOE slow too? This is a must item for Brand to be honest!
- 140 Ability Power. UNIQUE Passive: Increased ability power by 30%. Standard item for almost every single AP champion. Unless Ryze etc.
When Brand reach this item, it's already GG! ;)
- 70 Ability Power, 57 Magic Resistance. UNIQUE Aura: Reduces the Magic Resist of nearby enemy champions by 20. I recommend this item for you, if you're playing against a huge ability powert team, or if you're actually playing on it.
- 70 Ability Power. UNIQUE Passive: +40% Magic Penetration. This item is 100% important item of any AP champions! Make sure to get it! You'll hit like a badass!! Normally you'll buy Void staff in late game. But if you're fed early, and your enemy team goes for 100% Magic resistance, it's pretty smart buying this item, don't ya think? ;)
- 100 Ability Power, 50 Armor. UNIQUE Active: Places your champion into Stasis for 2 seconds, rendering your champion invulnerable and untargetable but unable to take any actions. 90 second cooldown. Just look at the thread below!
- 75 Ability Power, 12 Mana Regeneration. UNIQUE Passive: +20% cooldown reduction. Many people disagree about this item, but I think it's nice for Brand. Just look at thread below!
- 45 Ability Power, 400 Mana, 25 Mana Regeneration. Passive: 3% of your Max Mana is converted to Ability Power. UNIQUE Passive: Each time your Champion uses an Ability their Maximum Mana will increase by 4 Mana. This effect has a 3 second cooldown. Bonus caps at 1000 mana. (Mana bonus already included in item statistics) To be honest, I dont think Brand rly need this item. But if you're a good fan of abusing your mana, go ahead! ;)
- 60 Ability Power, 450 Health, 525 Mana. Passive: Your Champion gains 18 Health, 20 Mana, and 2 Ability Power every 1 min. Bonuses cap at +180 Health, +200 Mana and +20 Ability Power. (Not included in stats) UNIQUE Passive: Upon leveling up, restores 250 health and 200 mana over 8 seconds. Well, I think Rylai's is a better item for Brand, but ROA works aswell! : )
- The mighty Hourglass! -
Okey, my fellow summoners!
In this topic i'm gonna talk about my favourite item, Hourglass! Armor + huge ability power!
That was just a "taste" of what this item actually is!!
Unique Passive: 100 Ability Power, 50 Armor. UNIQUE Active: Places your champion into Stasis for 2 seconds, rendering your champion invulnerable and untargetable but unable to take any actions. 90 second cooldown.
You have two opportunities to use this item: In team fights; Brand, is pretty well known for his amazing AOE damage, and will easy be a focus target by enemy team. So, if you want to survive in team fights, you should pop this item up when right before they use theirs ultimates on u. Or you can make sure to cast your whole combo, before using Hourglass.
Depends of how the situation is!
Hope this helped.
- Mejai's VS Morellos - Morello's Evil Tome is at Brand slot 3 -
- Not too expensive. (Easy to get in early game, with good farm.)
- Provides very much ability power when it's full stacked.
- Your champion's cooldowns are reduced by 15%, with 20 stacks.
- You lose a third of your stacks if you die.
- The item is completely useless if your team is about to lose early in the game.
- More like gambling.
- No, mana reg. or cooldown reduction. (Only Ability power) Only cooldown reduction if full stacked.
Morello's Evil Tome
- Morello's Evil Tome gives you amazing mana reg.
- Good starting Ability power.
- Awesome cooldown reduction, 15%.
- Not too expensive.
- Morellos Evil Tome is rly a good item in Early/mid game. But when you reach the very late game, you should consider sell Evil tome, and buy a stronger item.
To be honest! I rly dont find Mejai's Soulstealer as a "great" item. You should only buy Mejai's if you're playing against pure noobs, or if your team is totally dominating early!
- Rune setups and why -
In this thread i'm gonna show you what runes I rly recommend to Brand. And what you may can use.
- 0.95 Magic penetration each rune. I always use this marks on Brand. You shouldn't change this!
Greater Seal of Replenishment - 0.41 mana regen/ 5 sec. Since Brand are loosing so much mana in the early game, I rly recommend you Mana regen runes. It's will make it easier for you to success your lane, and harass like a *****! But if you're a "farmer" and dont need so much mana reg early, you should consider getting mana regen per level. Pretty nice in mid/late game.
You can off course use other seals on Brand. But Mana regen is probably the best for him.
- 0.17 ability power per level. These runes works fine to Brand! But you should maybe consider getting more tanky?
- 0.99 ability power. Hmmmm. I guess many people are going for these runes... But I rly dont understand why... To be honest, I think it sucks. Okay, it's good for you in early game, first 5 minutes. And then it's useless...! So please, don't even think about it!
- 0.15 magic resist per level. (Up to level 18) Now you're talking! This is what Brand needs! Thanks to these runes you'll get more tanky. But it's not that good in early game, cause of it's per levels. But I still think it's the best Glyph for Brand.
You may think: "Why aren't you just going for ? True Magic resistance..." Well, the reason is like this: You'll get more out of it with the MR-per levels runes, and you rly dont need that much MR in the early game. So just go for per levels, much better!
- 4.95 ability power!! - These runes are rly nice for Brand. Three of this, and you'll get +15 ability power at level 1 ++. Works fiiiiiiine!
- 26 health - These runes are also rly nice! You'll get much more health, and will be harder to kill early! So you should go these Runes if you're playing against a ****ty counter, in mid.
My personally rune pages:
Brand Rune Page 1: - Greater Seal of Replenishment - -
Brand Rune page 2: - Greater Seal of Replenishment - -
- Skill Sequence -
The reason I suggest maxing out Pillar Of Flame is because of it's amazing long range and good damage overall. first is because Pillar Of Flame is an AOE, and is very useful for team fights, but it is a disadvantage: Looooong Cooldown compared with Conflagration , it is therefore i recommend Morello's Evil Tome It gives 20% cooldown reduction, 12 mana reg per 5 sec and 75 ability power = Epic!
Also i find it being very useful for farming, you just open up with Pillar of Flame and then click Conflagration on the creep standing in the middle of the pile so to deal as much AoE damage as possible. (Also in team fights)
During team-fights i usually open with Pillar of Flame , followed by Conflagration and in the end Sear to stun the opponent making sure he does not run away. In case the enemies are standing near each other, after the W-E-Q combo i throw in the ulti Pyroclasm
During 1v1 fights i usually open with Conflagration and Ignite followed by Sear and end with Pillar of Flame to deal the maximum damage. Keep in mind that once your abilities are on cooldown you are helpless so i suggest keep some distance between you and your opponent, in the case that it is a melee champion.
have been experimenting on the skill sequence to find the most dmg dealing sequence. I think I have found it. This sequence will destroy any champ in a matter of seconds.
E -> Q -> W Followed by his ultimate -> R
There it is. but i have found sometimes its hard to land the sear so some times i just go for this (this works when more than 2 or three enemy champs are in range)
- Summoner spells -
"Since my passive is already like a bonus spell (DoT) more like a ignite, I think it's even better with ignite , that's results to a super DoT. "
Obviously TWO awesome Dots!
I can personally attest that Ignite has counted for a significant number of my kills both early and late in the game, REALLY!
Brand has no escape mechanism ( Only stun, if you are lucky ). I will probably never play AP Brand without Flash . Easy to get out of ganks and etc.
Other spells to consider:
Ghost - The Ghost/Flash / combo is the pretty standard squishy survival kit. Ghost is not a bad choice at all, but since I have stun and Rylai's I don't see this very important at all.
Don't bother with anything else!
- Basic tips -
Here's some tips:
1.Farm a lot. Your build will be expensive so make sure to farm creeps.Besides,it's something that Brand can do easily.
2. Stay back in team fights. You will most probably be the first target. Probably..
3. Whenever going back to base, always get a couple of potions (do that until lvl 9).
4. Brand is squishy so make sure not to overreact.Once you do the mistake there's no turning back,no way to escape like other champions. Demand from your teammates to say miss.
5. Make sure to combine your spells correctly, that results to higher damage.
6. Always use you ultimate in team fights. You should probably use it on the tank. Cause if you use it one a squishy champion who dies in 1 sec, your ultimate is lost in one shot.
7. You can deter enemies from standing near their minions by setting them ablaze, due to conflagration.
8. You can also use Brans abilities in a variety of combinations to maximize his damage in different situations.
9. Pyroclasm bounces randomly between enemies, so try to cast it on a small group of enemies if you want to hit the same target lots of times. preferably not close to many minions!
- Skills -
Brand's spells light his targets ablaze, dealing 2% of their maximum Health in magic damage per second for 4 seconds.
Brand launches a ball of fire forward that deals magic damage. If the target is ablaze, Sear will stun the target for 2 seconds.
Pillar Of Flame
After a short delay, Brand creates a pillar of flame at a target area, dealing magic damage to enemy units with the area. Units that are ablaze take an additional 25% damage.
In other words, Brand create a circle of fire at a specific area. If you hit the target with a different spell and that the target is already ablaze Pillar of Flame will deal 25% additional damage.
If the target is not ablaze Pillar of Flame will deal normal damage and put the target ablaze.
Brand conjures a powerful blast at his target, dealing magic damage to them. If the target is ablaze, Conflagration spreads to nearby enemies.
What this ability means is that Brand hit the enemy with a powerful spell that hit for a specific amount of damage and if the target enemy is ablaze it will spread to it surrounding.
Again if the target is not ablaze, Conflagration will only deal damage and not spread to its nearby enemies and will put the selected target ablaze.
Brand unleashes a devastating torrent of fire, dealiing magic damage each time it bounces. If a target is ablaze, Pyroclasm's missile speed increases.
In short, Brand sends a HUGE fireball at the enemy when it hits the target its going to bounce at the closest enemy unit. If the target is ablaze its going to increase the speed at which the fireball goes.