Caitlyn Humor Guide by Tempist
Mastery Tree Is Outdated
WARNING: These masteries are still using the old tree and have not been updated to the new tree by the guide author. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Okay David. As with Ashe and Teemo, Caitlyn is a Ranged DPS champion. DPS stands for Damage Per Second, so basically you should be able to execute high damage-dealing attacks at a fast rate.
Pros / Cons
- Caitlyn has VERY longe range, in fact she's 3rd place amongst all champions when it comes to range. As you had saw in that game we played, her range can go even further. This range allows you to poke and harass your enemies during the laning phase without getting hurt yourself.
- As with all Ranged DPS', she has very good damage early, mid and late game.
- She has an escape mechanism, her 90 Caliber Net; which is why I recommend you max it out before her Yordle Snap Trap. If you aim it right, you can deal damage to enemies chasing you while creating a nice gap for you to flash away if necessary and making an escape.
- Her Yordle Snap Trap is a trap which sits for 4 minutes. If you place them correctly during the laning phase, you can have a nice coverage over your lane. You'll be able to find people lurking in the bush, and can finish them off or run away depending on the situation.
- Don't you hate those moments where you're in a fight with someone and they get away with barely any health left? Well those days are no more! With her Ace in the Hole, you can snipe them, and they'll be dead for good. Until they respawn of course.
- As with all Ranged DPS' she is very squishy!
- If you're doing well, the enemy team will begin to target you. Why? Well when you're dishing out all the damage, having you taken out will make life easier for them. Try to stay behind your team during team fights to avoid taking too much damage.
- Your Yordle Snap Trap is slightly visible, so enemies will be like "Hahaha you funny." and will walk around it.
- Caitlyn has a low mana cap, so if you spam too much you're bound to run out of mana. If you run out of mana you won't be able to do much. Try on focusing to last hit minions, only use your skills when harassing.
- Your Ace in the Hole CAN be intercepted by enemy champions, as a way to protect your original target. Try not to use your ultimate when there's a lot of champions around.
- Exhaust completely shuts down the enemy. Their movement speed, attack speed and the damage they dish out is reduced by significant amounts. Perfect for winning a 1 vs. 1.
- Flash is the most viable summoner spell in the game, hands down. Depending on how you use it, you can escape death or get a kill. REMEMBER TO USE IT.
- Heal allows you to remain within your lane for an extended period of time. As a ranged DPS, you will usually lane with a support which should carry a healing skill of their own. If you see that no one on your team carries heal, feel free to bring it.
- Ghost gives your champion increased movement speed, as well as allowing them to pass through units. This is a wonderful skill if you're not level 12 yet and haven't acquired Flash as this is commonly used for the same purposes: creating and closing gaps.
- Ignite deals damage over a period of time, similar to Teemo's Toxic Shot. This helps greatly and is used mostly for those moments when opponents escape fights with low health. However, with Ace in the Hole, this shouldn't be a problem.
- Cleanse Removes disables and debuffs from your champion. In addition, the duration of disables that you are affected by 3 seconds afterwards are reduced by 65%. Even though Caitlyn is squishy and can be crushed by CC (crowd control) affects, you may forget about having this school. I also don't feel that it's as viable as Exhaust or Flash.
Just in case the little bar at the top is confusing you, I'll walk you through the item sequence.
1. You don't have runes, so start off with a Doran's Blade.
2. Farm, and farm, and farm. Then buy Tier 1 shoes ( Boots of Speed).
3. Once you get enough gold, buy a B. F. Sword.
4. Build your Boots of Speed into Berserker's Greaves.
5. Build your B. F. Sword into an Infinity Edge.
6. Build Zeal.
7. Build the blood thirster.
8. Build your Zeal into a Phantom Dancer.
9. Build Last Whisper.
10. Build Banshee's Veil or Guardian Angel
Note: Once you at least have your Berserker's Greaves and B. F. Sword, you can sell your Doran's Blade if the extra 238 gold is needed so you can buy another item before going back. If you're short more than that, just hang onto your Doran's Blade.