Caitlyn General Guide by itzxpremium
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Starting Items 
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
iTz x premium here.
I'm currently Silver II, but I'm working hard to get higher.
This guide is about my way to play Caitlyn, so If you aren't satisfied with my build and Runes...so please don't downvote my Guide if this is the cause.
I'd like to get some criticsm, but please only serious.
Exspecially spelling/grammar mistakes :-)
So I talked much, and you aren't here to read my Introduction, so let's start.
Pros / Cons
- High Range 
- Strong Poke
- Strong early and late game
- High Range Ult Ace in the Hole
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Mark of Attack Damage
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage
- For Marks I'd like to get Greater Mark of Attack Damage x9, because they give you 8.55 Attack Damage. So you can easily farm (Farming in later section).
- For Seals I'd like to get Greater Seal of Armor x9 , because they give you ~12.7 Armor, this doesn't sound much, but they'll give you an early advantage to put in some AA's from your enemy.
- For Glyphs I'd like to get Greater Glyph of Magic Resist x9 , because they give you ~12 Magic Resistance, this also doesn't sound much, but if you have an annoying enemy-support like Sona, this can help you a lot as well as in later Teamfights.
- For Quintessences I'd like to get Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage x9, because they give you 6.75 Attack Damage, together with your Marks you have + 15.3 Attack Damage.
- As in other Guides, there are other choices, I have no other choices, because they don't give you the same advantages as my recommended Runes.
I hate this section, so I don't really like to explain it.
Just stick to my Masteries. :D
Just level your W in level 1, because you need to place it in the bush to see your enemies, if they are invading you!
Then level your Q Piltover Peacemaker up to rank 5 in level 9.
Then you max. your W Yordle Snap Trap up to rank 5 in level 13.
As last you max. your E 90 Caliber Net up to rank 5 in level 18.
As all Ultimates you always skill it at level 6/11/16.
Every 8/7/6 attacks(attacks while in brush count as 2), Caitlyn's attack will be enhanced to be a Headshot, dealing 150% damage to a champion or 250% damage to a minion/monster.
Caityln revs up her rifle for 1 second to unleash a penetrating shot in a line which will deal physical damage to al targets hits. It will deal 10% less damage for each subsequent target hit, down to a minimum of 50% damage dealt.
Lv1: 20(+1.3 Attack Damage)
Lv2: 60(+1.3 Attack Damage)
Lv3: 100(+1.3 Attack Damage)
Lv4: 140(+1.3 Attack Damage)
Lv5: 180(+1.3 Attack Damage)
Caitlyn sets a trap at the target nearby location. The trap triggers when a champion walks over it.(includes also LeBlanc's Mirror Image or Yorick's Omen of Death)When sprung, the trap immobilizes the champion for 1.5 seconds, dealing magic damage over the duration and additionally revealing the target for 9 seconds. Caitlyn can set up to 3 trags and they last 4 minutes each. If she already set 3, the oldest will reactivate itself.
Lv1: 80(+0.6 Ability Power)
Lv2: 130(+0.6 Ability Power)
Lv3: 180(+0.6 Ability Power)
Lv4: 230(+0.6 Ability Power)
Lv5: 280(+0.6 Ability Power)
Caitlyn fires a heavy net in front of her. The net will slow down the first target hit by 50%(Also slows invisible unity, but doesn't reveal them) and will deal magic damage to it. Upon firing it, the recoil will knock Caitlyn back.
Lv1: 80(+0.8 Ability Power)
Lv2: 130(+0.8 Ability Power)
Lv3: 180(+0.8 Ability Power)
Lv4: 230(+0.8 Ability Power)
Lv5: 280(+0.8 Ability Power)
Caitlyn marks an enemy champion at a huge range and channels for 1 second to line up the perfect shot, providing vision of the target for the duration. She then fires the projectile to deal massive physical damage. Other enemy champions can intercept the bullet for their ally.
Lv1: 250(+2.0 Bonus Attack Damage)
Lv2: 475(+2.0 Bonus Attack Damage)
Lv3: 700(+2.0 Bonus Attack Damage)
- If you take #I Doran's Blade, you are on the safe-side. You have your required sustain, Damage and health-get-back (also known as Life-Steal).
- If you take #II Boots of Speed +3 Health Potion, you are on an uncertain-side. Although you have the MS but you didn't got your 10 bonus Attack Damage and Life-Steal.
----> Conclusion for the Starting Items: Beginners should take #I , advanced could take #II.
In summary #I is more viable.
- You'll ALWAYS finish your Berserker's Greaves, if you havn't enough Gold to buy other items...
- As your Core-Items you should first buy your Infinity Edge, it gives you your required Burst, including Crits, Attack Damage and the nicest passive of the whole game :
Your Crit's now deal 250% instead of 200% damage.
- Your second item should be The Bloodthirster. It gives you (when farming good), +100AD and +18% life-steal (my health-get-back :D).
- So... you've finished your Infinity Edge and your The Bloodthirster, now it's time to force Last Whisper. It's necessary if your enemies are building a lot of Armor
, with this 35% Armor Penetration, you shredder your enemies Armor :).
- And last but NOT least you should get your Phantom Dancer. It gives you your required Attack speed, nice Crit chance and 5% Movement Speed (it soesn't sound much, but it will help you chasing your enemies or running away from them).
- After this you can decide wheter you take Guardian Angel, Banshee's Veil or Mercurial Scimitar. All of this Items are suitable for Caitlyn, it just depends on how much CC/Assassins your opponents got.
As you (I'm sure that you) know, farming is the most important thing all over the game.
Pls keep my rule in mind:
~100cs/10min = 100 minions/monsters per 10 minutes (does include game-start-time)
So you should have after...:
10min : 100cs +-5
20min : 200cs +-10
and after you've hit 200 creeps, the mid-game should've began.
ALWAYS when your lane is pushed, go to your wraiths or wolves and farm them.
That's all you should care about...
p.s. litte maths:
creep: ~25 gold / champ: ~300 gold
So as you can see one champion kill = 300g = 12 creeps.
So the announcer said "30 seconds until minions spawn" and you've hit your lane with your support (best support for cait in later section), and you've chosen your starting Item(s), the minions have spawned and you face the first time your enemy bot-lane.
#1: You and your opponent are farming and are waiting for a jungler-gank.
#2: You are playing aggresive and your support is chasing a lot.
#3: Your opponets are annoying to you and poke you down and out of lane.
If #1 is the cause, you're fine and on the save side. You should hit the Farming Goal, and hopefully farming better than your opponent.
> You have the options to:
-try to zone them out or
-still farming and look up for your Core-Items
If #2 is the cause, you aren't save and you are more vulnerable then 100%...
>The laning options are:
-You'll become ganked of your opponent...and you'll die,
-You understand the situation and going back, so that your opponents can push and they are vulnerable to YOUR ganks
If #3 is the cause, just ask your jungler for help. There's no other choice in this sitution.
Mid-Game usually begins when dragon has been killed or turrets have started to go down.
This is when Caitlyn becomes weak. Unless you are insanely insanely fed, at this point you should only have Berserker's Greaves, B. F. Sword and Vampiric Scepter. These items coupled together is not able to beat other champion's items at this point, until you acquire Infinity Edge and Phantom Dancer.
If your damage against the enemy is low, try not to focus so much on killing champions. Focus on creeps to gain gold; last hit in your lane, get the Dragon , or kill Jungle Creeps like Wolves . Do whatever you need to stay alive but earn gold at the same time. Fear not; if you do not feed the enemy and farm effectively and quickly to get your Infinity Edge early, you will begin to dominate the game once again.
Map awareness is key if your teammates are losing their lanes. Look for potential ganking opportunities and help your teammates.
Late game is when it is impossible to stay alive when roaming solo, and dying at this point pays a heavy price (due to long respawn times). Typically during late game everyone is at >Level 14 so they have quite long respawn times. This is the point where teamfights will occur and everyone will be sticking like glue.
You are the main source of damage for your team during teamfights. The most important elements are positioning and knowing who to aim. Aim a tank with Thornmail, and you are doing more harm to yourself than to the enemies. Never aim tanks in a 5v5. Go for the squishy ones. Typically I follow this order: Carries > Support > Offtanks > Tanks
You may be thinking that Last Whisper will make it better to aim tanks, but while this item do help with killing tanks it is best to aim those who can dish damage out. It takes quite a number of attacks and time to kill the tank, and in that time damage can be dealt by the enemies easily annihilating your team. But imagine if you take down all their damage sources and only one huge tanky rock without any damage is remaining, your whole team can easily focus him down and he has no way of damaging you hard. However, there is NO absolute rule on who to aim, and in some teamfights aiming the tank is better.
Positioning is also important in teamfights. Caitlyn should never engage teamfights head on. Let the tankier ones engage and go first. Caitlyn should stay behind the team, dealing damage from far away with her high range and kiting the enemies. Remember, Caitlyn should NEVER be the first to die and should constantly be doing damage. This is my definition of good positioning. Stand your ground and land as many attacks until you feel the need to escape.
Also, try to lure them to your base and let the turret get some free damage on them.
Remember, if you see an enemy just by himself during late game, attack him and quickly kill him. But if he manages to get away, DO NOT CHASE HIM. It is most likely a bait and all his teammates are waiting to pounce on you somewhere.
I'll tell you the match-up difficulty, so I won't write a text:
Easy Lane Match-Ups:
Kog'Maw: Easy, due to his low range and his high Mana costs.
Quinn: Easy, due to her skill-shot based Damage tool.
Medium Lane Match-Ups:
Vayne: Medium, all know why she's so dreaded.
Hard Lane Match-Ups:
Varus: Hard, due to his Q, it got a higher range than any of Caits normal abilities.
Draven: Hard, due to his enhanced AA's, it's almost always a Cait's Headshot.
A very very very big thanks to jhoijhoi, here's her best ADC guide, which I've read too and succesfully tried it out : Ashe's to Ashes
And a thanks to emoriam for helping me improve.
Here are my changes, orders like [dd/mm/yyyy]:
[12/09/2013] Guide was published!!!
[13/09/2013] Added Mercurial Scimitar to Defensive Choices./Improved some graphics, thx to emoriam