Heimerdinger Build Guide by LEmonElephants
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello everyone, this is LEmon Elephants and I have worked very hard to prepare my very first guide for my favorite champion Heimerdinger. Heimerdinger has always been very underplayed which made those of us who did play him have a special feeling in our hearts whenever we laid eyes upon our brainiac friend. A very versatile champion, Heimerdinger is a very fun and viable pick for all sorts of play styles ranging from support to aggressive AP mid. With interesting turret mechanics and a 3 sided ultimate, you never know what trick the Revered Inventor might pull out of his sleeve.
Like it, tell me why!
Have a problem? Feel free to down vote but please let me know how I can improve my guide.
This section is for the beginners to league of legends. If you stick to the game a little longer you will know these terms like the back of your hand but to help you get on your way here is.....
LEMON ELEPHANTS DICTIONARY OF LOL
- ace= all of the enemy team is dead for the moment. Beware spawn times but now is an excellent time to push.
- aoe = area of effect, an ability which covers an area, rather than a single character.
- AP = Ability Power. The stat which boosts the effectiveness of abilities.
- aura = A 'passive' which applies not only to the hero who has it, but also to heroes within the given range for the aura. A shareable passive.
- bd/backdoor= To attack the enemies towers and base without the cover of your creeps there
- brush = The large grass in LoL which causes your hero to be hidden to people outside of the brush
- buff = Typically a temporary increase to some stat(s)
- carry = A character who, if played properly, wins late game fights for a team. Typically these heroes are weak early game and require a lot of farming.
- CC = crowd control. Moves that interfere with the other champions actions such as stun, fear, knockbacks/ups and blind.
- CD= Cool down, the time between using abilities.
- champion = The particular character that you as the summoner control
- dd = direct damage ability. Typically DDs are unavoidable: Click ability, click target, profit. For example: Annie's Q fireball.
- Disable = A Disable is a debuff that usually prevents some kind of action on the player. Stuns, roots, silences are all examples of disables
- DOT = Damage over time.
- dps = Damage per second. Also referes to characters who job it is to deal damage (As opposed to support and tanks)
- executed= killed by a tower with no enemy hero receiving credit for it
- Farm = Farming involves the amassing of gold for player. This is usually best done by killing a lot of creeps and killing them very quickly. Certain Heroes like Ashe and Tristana are great farmers: The first has a +gold passive, and the latter has an AOE passive.
- feed = A player who dies constantly feeds the other team (via the gold reward for killing someone). Being called a feeder is not a compliment. A player who is fed has a lot of kills.
- grass = see brush
- harass - to annoy the enemy with small bursts of non lethal damage, often forcing them to go heal or be set up for a gank.
- hero = non-canon name for a champion
- humiliation= killed by a creep with no enemy hero receiving credit for it
- IAS= Increased Attack Speed
- juke, juking = When being chased, juking is to fool your pursuers. Typically this happens in the jungle. A successful juke could range from eluding the enemy by exploiting line of sight, or could simply cause the enemy to mistarget a spell.
- jungle = to attack neutral creeps, allowing for 2 solo lanes and better ganking.
- lane = the road like expanses that contain towers and lead to and from the bases
- last hit = Getting the very last hit, or killing blow.
- MR= Magic Resist. Works as armor against magic abilities, reducing the damage.
- ms = movement speed
- neutrals = The creep-enemies who live in the jungle
- neuts = neutrals
- passive = An ability which is not activated but helps a character. For example, Morgana's passive allows her to heal a small % of the damage her spells inflict. Passives usually apply only to the hero who has them.
- pbaoe = point blank area of affect. The area of effect is centered around the caster such as Nunu's Ultimate or any aura. (not widely used)
- Proc = refers to a weapon, item or ability activating with the "Chance on Hit" or "Chance on Use" effect (an ability or a spell). "Programmed Random OCcurence"
- Root = A debuff which prevents any movement by a champion (summoner spells excluded)
- Silence = A debuff which prevents any abilities being used by a champion (summoner spells excluded)
- skillshot = an ability that fires a projectile that can be dodged. For example: Morgana's cage, Ashe's ultimate arrow
- Snowball = an item that grows with kills, that can quickly become very dangerous unless kept in checked by death.
- Stun = A debuff which prevents any action by a champion (summoner spells excluded)
- summoner = Your representation in the game. Essentially you are the puppet master of your selected Champion and you have your own summoner abilities along with the champion's abilities.
- support = Characters who job it is to support other characters: Healers, buffers, etc
- tank = Character with a lot of HP and likely armor/resistance. Whose job is to initiate battles with the enemy players/turrets as to draw damage onto himself.
- tp - summoner spell teleport used to traverse the map "I'll tp back in"
- ult = ultimate ability. The R Ability.
- unique = In LoL certain auras/passive are unique, meaning they do not stack.
- top, mid, bottom = the lanes in LoL.
- river = The river which cuts across the map diagonally in Summoners Rift
- baron, nashor, worm = the big worm like boss that gives a noticeable buff to the whole team when killed. The big red skull on the minimap
- dragon = the powerful neutral creep that provides gold and experience to the entire team. Located on the river near the bottom lane
- jungle = The mass of trees and paths that exist between the lane
- gg = good game.
- gj = good job.
- gl hf - good luck, have fun, usually an encouraging sportsmanlike phrase said before a game,
- disc, dc = disconnect from a game.
- b = back, fall back, they're coming for you
- back = fall back, they're coming for you
- bait - to deliberately appear in a position to be easily ganged so as to lure 1 or more players to be gangked by your team "go bait them in to the jungle"
- base, basing = going back to base
- bp,pill, pilling = blue pilling, going back to base
- care = be careful, they may be coming for you
- d, defend - to sit at a tower and/or inhibitor and attempt to avoid confrontation while stopping the enemy from killing the objective "I'm gonna d mid"
- DD (alternative)= don't die. Also sometimes direct damage
- focus = To target a player. Meaning that as a team you all will all focus on a specified hero to kill first.
- gank - to go (often with more than one player) to try and kill an enemy, often by surprise "lets gank bottom" . An Ambush
- heal - either the summoner spell, a champion ability, or the act of returning to base to regenerate HP and mana "you should heal"
- Kite= to draw a hero away from a comfort zone such as tower or allies and into a gank, creepwave, or other painful situation
- lom = low on mana
- miss, mia = Missing, missing in action. Commonly used to describe when a hero is missing from a lane and may indicate to the team that a gank may happen.
- oom = out of mana
- pot = potion (sometimes elixirs too)
- push - to gather up a creep wave and attempt to destroy an enemy tower "I'm going to push bottom"
- QQ = meaning to tell some one to quit, often as a rage quit. Coincidentally depicts a set of crying eyes and has also come to mean "cry more"
- raqequit = To quit a game in anger (Being killed, losing)
- shop,buy = To go back to base to go shopping, can mean you should shop or they are shopping
(This is not really my dictionary but I like to call it that. I found it here on the LoL forum. Many thanks to Larias a forumn Adjudicator that threw this together!)
Lore and Skin Recommendation
Below is Heimerdingers's lore, this is straight from Riot, let's thank them for their great game and thoughtful creativity.
It is unusual to see yordles outside of Bandle City, but the lure of science was something Heimerdinger could not resist. By the time he'd completed his third doctorate, he had already become the greatest of all yordle scientists and there was little his home could still offer him. The great academies of Piltover far to the north called to him, daring him to make his mark in the City of Progress. Knowing he would never thrive away from his own kind, Heimerdinger gathered like-minded yordles to join him in his quest, thus forming the backbone of the now famous Yordle Academy of Science & Progress. Since then, he has become one of the most respected minds of the modern age and his academy is one of the leading institutions in all of Valoran.
Heimerdinger has pioneered many new scientific achievements, delving deeper and deeper into the field of techmaturgy, including the development of the now ubiquitous star-rods that light many of the streets of the city-states. However, there is something strange about the Revered Inventor. In his quest to expand knowledge, he underwent an experiment of his own design to allow him to use a greater portion of his brain simultaneously. It most certainly worked, but at an unusual cost - Heimerdinger's brain increased in size. His head changed along with it and now the great scientist looks like a yordle with a giant brain-shaped head. Heimerdinger has turned his attentions to the current state of war on Valoran, however, and works to rectify what he considers is an unacceptable situation. Heimerdinger believes that science is the key to saving the world. Much more, he has rolled up his sleeves and is out to prove this as a member of the League of Legends - most definitely as the League's smartest champion!
Science is on the march. Look out!
Here is a link to a great website calledStrategy Zero which supplies fantastic skin reviews for every champion. Come here before you commit money!
Pros / Cons
Runes are an essential aspect to League of Legends for any champion. Luckily these runes are almost always completely up to us and we may change them to what we prefer. I am in no way telling you that these are must haves, merely the runes I recommend.
Greater Quintessences of Ability Power- These runes are fantastic on many AP mid laners. Whether you have burst, or sustained damage these will help boost up the damage through the scaling that all of Heimerdinger's abilities boast.
Greater Quintessence of Scaling Ability Powere- An alternative option to boost your magic damage. this is very similar to quintessences of AP however these provide less AP in the beginning and more later on. Great if you are building late game heimy.
Greater Quintessence of Health- Another helpful option, great for strategy of baiting opponents under your turrets followed by a quick stun. Heimerdinger is a very squishy champion and this can help negate some of the problems that arrive as a side effect.
Greater Quintessences of Movement Speed- Very useful options to help you get to and from lane faster and to move around for positioning those pesky missiles.
Summoner's wrath is a very effective mastery, especially when you roll exhaust and ignite which is my personal preference.
Sorcery is very good for Heimerdinger as he has some relatively long cooldowns and this CDR is very nice for its cost in masteries.
Butcher is very helpful when you are last hitting, as 4 bonus damage can make quite a big difference when last hitting. Not essential it only makes your life easier early game but if you have mastered last hitting with Heimerdinger feel free to put points in something else.
Blast is very helpful, 18 ability power at level 18 for 4 points is most effective way to get ability power in masteries. If building full damage it is the only way to go.
Havoc is a great damage boosting mastery on all champions. I recommend taking 2-3 points in this as the percent bonus scaled very well with your turrets basic attacks.
Arcane knowledge is, in my opinion, the best mastery in the offense tree. 8% magic penetration is absolutely sentential for Heimerdinger.
Meditation is great, almost always get 3 points in this. Fantastic mana regen on such a mana reliant champion.
Improved Recall- You need 1 more point to advance up the utility tree and I recommend putting it here. Much more useful for putting 1 point in than your other option.
Mastermind will help you a lot as you will be very reliant on your summoner spells for early game kills and as such I recommend putting 3 points in it.
Expanded mind is not a must but the mana boost is quite nice.
Greed is great. Earlier I talked about how with an early kage's lucky pick and 9 gold seals will give you about 2k gold at the end of a 45 minute game. With 4 points in this and the other Gold/10 items you will receive 2498 gold by the end of a 45 minute game! I highly recommend getting 4 points in this especially when playing supportdinger or against a counter mid.
Runic Affinity is highly recommended because blue is sooooo great on Heimerdinger. This will largely increase the time you hold blue buff making it possible to have blue buff on at almost all times.
Most likely my favorite mastery, strength of spirit works extremely well with any caster you stack mana on. When you get Seraph's Embrace you will have 2410 mana without masteries and runes. This means that you will gain 18 health regeneration per 5 seconds by the end of the game. Adding this to your passive you will heal roughly 10 health per second which can make a gigantic difference in many ways.
Thank you again for taking the time to look through my guide. There will always be more on the way as I will constantly update to keep this guide on my favorite champion, Heimerdinger fresh.
Please remember to upvote if you liked it!
Downvote if you found something wrong with it but please point it out in the discussion section so I can improve my guide.
Note* Accidentally published this guide, it is by no means completed and so please do not downvote for missing information! Thank you!
Saturday November 2nd
- Added extra gold section to item build in cheatsheet
- Altered masteries of cheatsheet to go along with what I was suggesting in masteries section of the written guide.
- Started work on supportdinger section.
H-28G Evolution Turret Stats:
Health: 150 (+25 per champion level)
Attack - Cannon: 15/22/29/36/42 (+12.5% of ability power) magic damage
Attack - Beam: 50/75/100/125/150 (+50% of ability power) magic damage in a line, 12 second cooldown (affected by Cooldown Reduction)
Heimerdinger can have up to 3 turrets constructed at a time.
Turrets go offline if Heimerdinger is more than 1000 units away for longer than 8 seconds.
This is a phenomenal ability if played well. Often very difficult to line up this move effectively this move often separates good Heimerdingers from the bad ones. Try to master using this move efficiently in teamfights!
Enemy champions and neutral monsters that are hit by more than one rocket take 20% magic damage for each rocket beyond the first, up to a maximum of 108 / 162 / 216 / 270 / 324 (+81% of ability power). Enemy minions take 36 / 54 / 72 / 90 / 108 (+45% of ability power) damage from each rocket.
Very good ability post-rework. Much more difficult to hit but has so many uses. As you are able to change the angle of the shots it can go from a borderline OP single target poke to a fantastic farming and teamfight ability.