Mordekaiser Build Guide by Demordir
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Introduction / Pros & Cons
If you like the guide please support it! Hit the Thumbs up / Rep Buttons!
STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION - still fixing and tweaking the guide!!! VIDEOS AND SCREENSHOTS COMING SOON!
Hello again summoners! Welcome to another guide! I am excited to bring you my personal favorite character and guide in League Of Legends! Before all of you trolls out there rate and comment on the build, and proceed to shred my life's work, please read the following:
- This guide works for me and my play-style. I am not saying it is the best there is. It may not work for you.
- This guide actually requires skill to play. It focuses on AP rather than tankyness (I used to play tanky morde. Trust me this is much more enjoyable).
- The cheat-sheet does not repsresent the guide fully. Please give me some respect and read it. If it was just a cheat-sheet I would have called it a "Build".
LETS LOOK AT THE PROS & CONS OF THIS BUILD
-Massive damage (aoe and single-target)
-AP and AD damage (due to lichbane) therefore hard to counter.
-Can offtank if played properly
-Fast shield replentishment due to damage output
-Massive ult damage and leach (over 50% of targets health at level 18 with full items)
- Not a pure tank, therefore fairly squishy in team fights
- Uses life to use abilities
Fot those asking what this guide is capable of:
Quite a few runes can be used successfully on Mordekaiser. Lets look at a few and their affects:
greater mark of insight - A full set will give you 8.55 magic penetration at level 1.
greater seal of vitality - a full set will give you 175 health at level 18.
- a full set will give you 48 health at level 1.
- a full set will give you 12.7 armor at level 18.
- a full set will give you 6.75% dodge at level 1.
- a full set will give you 6.66 magical resistance at lvel 1.
- a full set will give you 27.54 AP at level 18.
- a full will give you 8.91 AP at level 1
- a full set will give you 5.85 cooldown reduction at level 1.
- a full set will give you 13.41 magic resistance at level 1.
- a full set will give you 24 health at level 1.
- a full set will give you 14.85 ability power at level 1.
- a full set will give you 78 health at level 1.
- a full set will give you 12.78 armor at level 1.
- a full set will give you 13.5 magic resistance at level 1.
- a full set will give you 4.5% movement speed at level 1.
When you play a character, you generally want to pick the runes that bring out the best of your character. For example, if you are going AP carry you would want to select runes that tap the full potential of your abilites. Same goes for AD carries and tanks. This mordekaiser build is mainly focused on AP. Therefore I found the best combination of runes are:
greater seal of vitality
There is a complicated explanation as to why I utilize these runes. However this guide is not about runes. So i will give you the simple explanation. It involves two factors: primary runes > secondary runes and what I said earlier about utilization of runes for maximizing your build's potential, in this case being AP.
On that note:
- I do not believe in the use of greater quintessence of swiftness on mordekaiser because I pick up 3% movement speed from the utility tree and can gain 8% from items such as force of nature and another 7% from . On top of that I have improved ghost.
- I used to use greater glyph of focus but I realized that you get 9% cooldown reduction from your masteries. I do not notice the difference when I add greater glyph of focus. I would much rather take the 27 AP which with rabbidons deathcap gets converted to 35 AP. If you do the math, the cd reduction glyphs reduce your cds by .32 seconds. If you do the math further you will find that it wil ltake you 15 consecutive hits with to see the true difference.
- I also used to use greater quintessence of fortitude but I found the health you get from greater seal of vitality is more than sufficent.
- I don't use / because rank 1 gives you the same stats, which I found to be sufficient.
For a more detailed explanation please visit this guide about runes.
9/0/21. Best option for Mordekaiser in my experience.
- The only things worth picking up in the offensive tree without spending all 21 points is the magic penetration and cooldown reduction.
- You may be considered an offtank at best, so defensive tree is useless.
- The Utility tree provides cooldown reduction on abilities and summoner spells, gold per 5 seconds, movement speed, experinece gain to help out-level oponents and health regen. All worthwhile.
I use two sets of summoner spells:
-I use this setup most of all. I find ghost to be better overall for escapes / chases and running to another lane for a gank quickly.
- If you prefer flash, don't forget to change your utility masteries to incorporate it.
- Ignite is a must. If you are new to mordekaiser, it is used along with your ultimate to finish off an oponent that has low health. It prevents your oponent from using a health pot to survive.
- I would not recommend any other summoner spells other than those I mentioned. Leave the rest such as to the support and the to the tanks. Besides, mordekaiser does not have many escape options so having a / is a must.
Abilities / Skill Level Order
This shield mitigates 630 damage at level 18. It is like having an extra 630 health. This is also why I only incorporate 1-2 health items on him. But remember that his abilities replntish the shield. With the amount of AP you have late-game, one hit will replentish it to full giving you another 630. This is why morde shines in team fights.
This ability is great if you wait for the enemy to be alone. doubles the damage. Combined with it does unbelievable damage to a solo enemy (believe it or not it or not it stacks with . This item allows you to hit soemone with for 1300-1500 damage every 2 seconds. (only its really 3.61 seconds due to cooldowns, 2.64 with blue buff)
Great ability. Gives you bonus armor and magic resistance. It is like having a few sunfires stacked around you for free. You can also throw it on your allies (great for initiations) or minions for zone control or to replentish your shield.
Powerful AOE ability which with levels increases your shield replentish rate and does massive AOE damage to anything it hits.
Your ultimate deals a percentage of health to a target (half instant and half over time) and leaches it to you. This percentage increases with the amount of AP you have. If the enemy dies you also recive a bonus AP equal to 20% of their AP / AD as well as their ghost! Use it on a squishy early in a team fight and you can make it a 4v6! Use it on a tanky character with alot of health when low on health and you get alot of health back!
Skill Leveling Order:
> > >
The reason behind this order is simple. Lets take a look at vs. :
LEVEL 1 SIPHON OF DESTRUCTION:
-costs 24 health (as opposed to 25 health for
-AOE that does 75 damage to all in area (opposed to 87 damage to maximum of 4 targets):
Lets say there are 7 minions and an enemy at level 1. If you hit them you can do 600 total damage at the cost of 24 health. and get a shield of 158 (150+8 from bonus). (as opposed to 348 damage and a shield of 87 health at the cost of 25 health)
-Each unit hit gives 1 bonus health to your shield which increases by 1 each level.
Items / Purchase Order
Disclaimer: You may not agree on these items. Keep in mind my introductory statement and keep an open mind (remember this is not a TANKING guide).
Hopefully you read this far. Congratulations if you did, give yourself a pat on the back
! For the sake of the guide I would like to break up the item build into core and situational items. There are 4 core items and 2 situational items to chose from to complete your build. The key here is to achieve synergy. You want to have enough resistance and armor to last in a fight and be able to do massive damage. Stacking health is worthless for AP morde. Your abundance AP allows you to replentish your shield to full in one rotation (That is 630 extra health everytime you use your abilities)
Core Items - Items I consider you should get no matter what or who you are facing.
Situational Items - Items that are not nesesary but contribute to overall effectiveness.
-you may consider switching for / but I consider it a waste. I never ran into a problem of needing them with this build.
- Provides AP / Armor and a great "on-active" ability
- Slows enemies, gives health and AP
- Get this if enemy is stacking massive magic resist
- Provides AP and magic resist. Also lowers magic resist of enemies.
- Get this if you are being focused in teamfights
- Get this if enemy is CC friendly
- provides AP / AD (stacks with and ) also gives spell vamp.
If you are wondering why i didn't include items like / it is because these are pure tanking items. You may try them if you wish but I find it to be wasteful for an AP morde. The items above provide resistance / armor and AP for damage output. Remember that your shield gives armor and magic resist as well, and with a tank or support geting you will have close to 200 magical resist and armor with this item setup.
Generally I start with and 1x . I do this because it does not waste any gold and it keeps me regenerating health to spam my abilites more. Some people go for but they eventually sell it, meanwhile you can convert the into . No waste. I buy next and finish off my . Next I start with and rush . I then usually go straight for
In order to be a successful Mordekaiser you must understand how to lane properly. For an AP morde I suggest a solo lane, whether it be 1v1 or 1v2. You must understand that Mord. needs as much farm as possible.
A FEW KEY LANING STRATEGIES:
Zoning is an affective tool to outlevel your opponents and control the game. Morde is one of the best zoners in the game. You can use your AOE to control your enemies XP very affectively. I would go into much further detail but this is not a zoning tutorial. If you need information on zoning please refer to this guide: CONSUMABLES
An important part of gameplay especially when you are laning by yourself against 2 enemies.
Can be used in bushes to uncover hidden enemies and ganks. VERY usefull on morde 1v2 lane where your enemy tries to zone you out by jumping out of the bushes for harassement. By placing a ward there you can harass them in the bush due to your reach with
Great for uncovering enemy wards and invisible champs such as and
PROPER USE OF SPELLS
-when you use try to hit as many units as you can. Remember hitting more units gives you more shield. More shield = More health. It is an excelent harass because it allows you to engage the enemy for a hit and leave unscathed due to the shield you recieve. Rinse & repeat.
-Use your on a high-health champion if you are low on health when escaping a gank. And use it on a squishy carry when trying to kill someone. Immediatly follow with if you are sure they will die (that takes practice and experience). Use your ghost from children of the grave by shift + right clicking.
-Use your accordingly but when you build try to save the item's proc on this spell. It does AD damage and alot of it. Up to 1300-1500 damage per hit when you hit a unit that is alone
-You can apply your on fellow allies and minions including your ghost. Use it on a tank initiating a fight or a creep when you are being zoned out to regain your shield and damage nearby enemies.
Hall Of Fame
POST YOUR SCORES IN THE COMMENTS AND I WILL KEEP TRACK OF THEM!
Please support my guide!
THUMBS UP if you like it!
HERE ARE A FEW OF MY RECENT MATCHES FROM A FEW DAYS:
They include both ranked and normal games, (Usual losses are due to leavers and feeders)