Diana Build Guide by shadowaffles
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello! My name is shadowaffles and this is my first guide for League of Legends and Mobafire.
I'm Brazilian and speak Portuguese as my first language. I learned English over time but it's not perfect, so I used the help of a translator to make this guide. If there is any grammar mistake please forgive me and let me know in the comments for me to fix.
I play with Bruiser Diana, since she is a mage and melee will almost always be in the midst of battle, I know many play with Diana jungler or Assassin, but this is not my focus with this build.
Please do not downvote the guide only because she does not have any items you like. Read the guide to find out why my choices. If you thought the guide was useful, give me a positive vote, comment on what you liked and what also did not like.
Feel free to look.
Welcome and thank you!
Diana, Scorn of the Moon - Lore
An unyielding avatar of the moon's power, Diana wages a dark crusade against the sun-worshiping Solari. Though she once sought the acceptance of her people, years of futile struggle shaped her into a bitter, resentful warrior. She now presents her foes with a terrible ultimatum: revere the moon's light, or die by her crescent blade.
Though she was born to the Solari, Diana's inquisitive nature set her apart from her brethren. She had always found solace and guidance in the night sky, and questioned the dominance of the sun in her society. The Solari elders responded to her challenges with only derision and punishment. Diana remained convinced, however, that if she could find evidence of the moon's power, the elders would listen to reason. For years, she studied Solari archives in solitude until she discovered an encoded message hidden in an old tome. This clue led her to a secluded valley on Mount Targon where she unearthed the hidden entrance to an ancient, sealed temple. Inside, among aging relics and faded murals, she found an ornate suit of armor and a beautiful crescent blade, both inscribed with sigils of the moon. Diana donned the armaments and returned to the Solari elders that night. She declared that the artifacts proved others had once worshiped the moon as she did. Her discovery of evidence challenging Solari dominion shocked the elders. To Diana's horror, they pronounced her a heretic and condemned her to death. As the elders prepared her for execution, Diana's anger and sorrow overwhelmed her desire for acceptance. She lifted her gaze to the sky, calling upon the moon for strength. Lunar power surged within her and she shattered her bindings. Raising her relic blade, she turned and slaughtered the elders. With the temple in ruins behind her, Diana resolved to destroy all those who would deny the power of the moon.
Pros / Cons
+ Large damage capability in early, middle and late game
+ Strong ranged and melee attacks
+ Low cooldowns
+ Ability to pursue until the fastest champions
+ Crescent Strike can give you two Lunar Rush
+ Good farmer
+ She uses a sword in a crescent shape
- It has a huge lack of mana Ealy game
and middle game
- It has no escape mechanism
- Because she is AP and melee, it tends to die
quickly if focused (but this is something we
try to solve with this build)
- She does not like the sun, and there are
no maps at night, so she is always angry
Summoner's Wrath : More AP while Ignite is on cooldown.
Mental Force : The beginning of the game is very important, and have a greater amount of AP is always welcome.
Alacrity : 4% more attack speed, which will help a lot to your passive Moonsilver Blade into action.
Sorcery : Diana already has low cooldowns, put another 4% are even more will help you bombard your enemies with the power of the moon.
Arcane Knowledge : 10% magic penetration. You are a champion AP, then it will greatly help.
Blast : More AP.
Archmage : No more AP? Never, we will put more.
Executioner : Perfect for finishing targets attempting to flee the battle with little life and to kill those who decide to stay.
Hardiness : As a melee champion, you will face more AD than AP. Therefore we give more importance to armor.
Durability : More life, to help not die so fast, or escape from that battle with 50 of life.
Veteran's Scars : More 30 hit points. Again to help you in battles.
- Greater Mark of Attack Speed: 1.7 attack speed by rune. This multiplied by 9 is 15.3% more attack speed, which joined with the other 4% of
, are 19.3% of attack speed. This will give a huge boost to your passive Moonsilver Blade.
- Greater Seal of Armor:You are a melee champion, that means that you will face more meele champions than ranged, so we need to give more importance to armor. With these runes you will have more 12.69 of armor +6 armor of
. This is a big help early game.
- Greater Glyph of Ability Power:Diana is an AP champion, and she has no AP. So we need to change this by placing some (many) AP runes to give it more leverage Ealy game. With nine Greater Glyph of Ability Power you get 10.8 AP to start the game.
- Greater Quintessence of Ability Power: More AP to illuminate your enemies with the power of the moon. With more than 14.85 AP we get with 3 Quintessence of Greater Potency. We arrived at 29.65 (plus 5% of the Archmage ). What is a very high number considering that we are putting attack speed and armor on this build.
Ignite: When on cooldown, adding the Summoner's Wrath you get 5 more AP. And when is ready to use, is a good way to do more damage to enemies or finish who try to escape.
Flash: Diana has no escape mechanism (except use the Crescent Strike and Lunar Rush on minions, but we'll get there later). So we need to use Ghost or Flash, I personally prefer to use Flash, which along with the Moonfall can create a large space between you and the enemy or even be used to walk through walls.
- Exhaust: Diana has an amazing ability to pursue enemies, but if you want to improve this, Exhaust is a good choice.
- Cleanse: Diana has no way of defense or resistance to CC, so if you feel very bothered by stuns and slows, you can use Cleanse to solve your problem.
- Heal: You will always be in the midst of battle, if you want a guarantee of increased survival, Heal is a good choice.
- Surge: This ability fits nicely in Diana because of increased attack speed which is very good for Moonsilver Blade and his bonus AP.
- Clarity: A good way to prevent the lack of mana in the middle of a battle, if you can not manage your mana well, Clarity will give you a good help
- Smite: If you go to the jungle, but this guide was not built for that.
- Ghost: Increased speed of movement, adding with a well placed Moonfall will create a large space between you and your enemy, making it slow and you fast.
- Teleport: Most of the time you are alone in your lane, using the Teleport is a way to protect your tower and the tower of your allies.
Moonsilver Blade (Passive): This passive is simply amazing. Besides increasing your attack speed by 20% every 2 attacks, his third will do area damage, magic damage with bonus ability power.
Crescent Strike (Q):This skill creates a power cut in a crescent shape causing magic damage to enemies it hits. All targets will be met by Moonlight, revealing them for 3 seconds. Invisible enemies that are hit by Crescent Strike also be affected by the Moonlight but will not be revealed on the map.
This skill has multiple applications, you can use minions to farm, since she has a very low cooldown and does not waste a lot of mana. Can also be using in bushes to see if they have hidden enemies. Or can also be used in the jungle to see if the minions are still there.
Pale Cascade (W): Creates a shield with three orbs that orbit around you. When the orb comes in contact with the enemy, they explode taking magic damage in area. This shield is refreshed if her third orbs detonates. The spheres explode if they come into contact with an invisible enemy.
Moonfall (E): is an excellent skill to chase or run away (if you're lucky). Diana invokes the moon to own your opponents to approach it and applying slow them all within the area of effect.
Lunar Rush (R): Diana teleports up to his target, dealing damage magic and getting behind the enemy (if it is facing you). Lunar Rush has no cooldown if the enemy is under the influence of Moonlight.
Start with Crescent Strike, and then Pale Cascade and finally Moonfall ( Moonfall is an excellent skill in lv1, so do not give much importance to it at the beginning). Again two points in Crescent Strike, then take Lunar Rush. After this stage, always follow this line Lunar Rush> Crescent Strike> Pale Cascade> Moonfall.
In battle, you will always start with Crescent Strike> Pale Cascade> Lunar Rush and then going to use auto-attacks + other skills until he tries to escape. At this point you use Moonfall> Crescent Strike> Lunar Rush> Lunar Rush. This is usually enough to finish off the enemy. Depending on the situation and its gameplay that make up differs from person to person.
- Start buying Doran's Ring, +15 AP and 80 HP are of great help in the beginning;
- Buy Boots of Speed to have greater mobility;
- Buy a Catalyst the Protector for increased survival and sustenance in your lane;
- Finish your boots with Mercury's Treads for greater mobility and +35 Tenacity (which is very good because the CC usually kill you) and more magic resist;
- Finish the Rod of Ages, it must be purchased as fast as possible for its passively ability to increase your stats get into action.
- Now we start to make armor, buy a Chain Vest (remember if you are facing champions based on AP, start with Null-Magic Mantle);
- Finish your Zhonya's Hourglass (or Lich Bane if you are facing champions AP);
- Buy a Null-Magic Mantle for more resistance to AP (buy a Chain Vest if you have already purchased Null-Magic Mantle);
- Finish your Lich Bane (finish your Zhonya's Hourglass);
- Needlessly Large Rod to have more damage;
- Buy your Rabadon's Deathcap;
- Buy a Guardian Angel for more armor, magic resistance and above all, a second life.
Remembering that this is the way I think best to buy the items, according to your opinion or about the situation, we buy the items in different order or even buy other items (this will be talked about later).
I picked these items thinking of a way to maximize my damage, but still not losing armor and magic resistance.
The items were not chosen only by their partial benefits, but for its active and passive skills also. That would fit the profile Melee Mage that Diana has.
♦ - Mercury's Treads: This puts us the magic resist that we needed to last longer in battle. And now with the Tenacy, which is perfect for Diana since we usually CC make you die.
♦ - Rod of Ages: The lack of health and mana you have at the beginning and middle of the game are going to be resolved with this item. Beyond that of life and mana, it gives you AP. The sooner you finish it faster you will accomplish it reaches its maximum.
♦ - Zhonya's Hourglass: So far, we only had a bit of damage and Spell Vamp and Life Steal. As if Diana would survive if she had not Teamfights defense to withstand the battles? It was there that choose this item, looking to have more armor and at the same time, more AP
♦ - Lich Bane: The extra armor was sufficient against the champions AD, but and the AP champions? It was very difficult to find an item that had a good magic resist and also had more damage. Lich Bane has magic resist, AP and mana that is one thing that Diana really need.
♦ - Rabadon's Deathcap: Looking for a great amount of damage, this item fit perfect because it offers much AP, and its passive exponentially increases your AP.
♦ - Guardian Angel: This build covered all her weaknesses, always trying to improve. But what if they could still kill me? Why not have more defense and a second life?
And so I built this build. What impresses me most is that it is not a static build. Almost all items can be exchanged for others with similar results depending on your need.
This will be further explored in the following chapter.
Within this session we will explore the possible new matches with Diana in different situations. Remembering that this is my opnion and you are free to leave your comments
Sorcerer's Shoes: If you feel confident and the enemy team does not have many types of CC, this boot will give a great extra damage.
Ionian Boots of Lucidity: Same situation cited above, but now the bonus is CDR, which is very good too. It is your choice.
Frozen Heart: This item is very good and I recommend putting him in place of Zhonya's Hourglass at any time. Let's look at its benefits: 99 armor (great for holding the heavy AD), 500 mana (which will solve the problems of lack of mana) and 20% cooldown reduction. When buying it instead of Zhonya's Hourglass, you will be losing 100 AP over an active skill to stay in stasis for 2 seconds. Buy according to your need.
Randuin's Omen: More armor and more HP, a bit of cooldown reduction and an active ability to make enemies near you slowly. I still prefer the Frozen Heart, but if you're missing a little more HP, get a Randuin's Omen. Remember that you will be sacrificing a lot of AP with this change.
Banshee's Veil: Magic resist, more life, more mana (which is very good). It has a passive skill that blocks an enemy skill, it can save you from being killed by the Karthus ultimate, or get stuck in some kind of stun/slow. Only buy it if you are in need of greater survival in teamfights or is failing to manage your mana in a better way.
Force of Nature: Only gives you a greater magic resist and regen HP, the bonus of movement is very good but nothing spectacular. Only buy if the enemy team is really focused on AP.
Abyssal Scepter: A little more magic resist than you have with the Lich Bane, also has an aura that makes enemies weak against magic, which is quite interesting. Just buy it if you're looking for a little more magic resist without losing too much AP.
Athene's Unholy Grail: This item is very interesting. You lose mana but gain AP, Magic Resist, Mana Regen and reduced cooldown. I still prefer the Lich Bane because of his passive skill. I believe the cooldown reduction of Athene's Unholy Grail is very useful too. It is up to you to decide which to choose.
Deathfire Grasp: If you feel you do not need more armor and magic resist you can take for example the Deathfire Grasp that will give you another 80 AP, 15% reduction in cooldown and an active skill that causes a lot of damage.
Nashor's Tooth: 50 attack speed, 65 AP, 25% cooldown reduction. One item that will help you with both your passive Moonsilver Blade, as with the rest of their other skills.
Rylai's Crystal Scepter: This item is very interesting, it gives you life and AP, and its passive causes any of your skills slowly the enemies.
Void Staff: No need to say much. More AP and more magic penetration. It'll help kill the enemies full of magic resist.
Warmog's Armor: Health.... a lot of Health. <--
Tips and Tricks
- Crescent Strike uses a cut in a curve, that means you can have a cut inside of trees or walls to make it more difficult to your enemy identify your attacks.
- Because of Moonlight, it's good you use Crescent Strike before entering almost every bush in the map, especially if you do not know the position of the enemy on the map.
- You can use Crescent Strike to check if the Dragon or Baron Nashor are still alive (just like any other minion of the map).
- This ability goes through all the enemies that are in your line of fire, so whenever you can use this skill to hit as many enemies.
- Moonfall has a cooldown very high (compared to their other skills), so avoid using it unless you have to chase or escape an enemy.
- When you are being cornered, some good combination is Moonfall> Ghost or Flash, so you will be able to leave all the enemies slow and will have a greater chance of escape.
- Moonfall can also be used to save an ally who is dying and being chased by an enemy.
- Crescent Strike + Lunar Rush is the only means you have to escape from a gank the enemy (except for Flash / Ghost + Moonfall). By using the Crescent Strike somewhere where there are minions or even an enemy champion (you do not need to use Crescent Strike against a champion, he just needs to be in the range of the Lunar Rush), they are revealed on the map for three seconds, thus giving time for you to use Lunar Rush and teleport to them, leaving unharmed (be sure to use Pale Cascade for increased protection).
- It is important always to anyone Lunar Rush if the enemy tries to escape, for this, avoid using Lunar Rush without the enemy being with Moonlight.
There are many and various combinations of combo and idea to do with the skills of Diana, it's up to you can use them in the right situation.
Diana is a great champion, very fun to play and very versatile. Sometimes it takes a while to get the practice, but it is rewarding. Do not forget to ask me in the comment section if you have any questions or suggestions.
10/08/2012 : The Guide was created, and was made the sessions: Pro/Cons, Masteries and Runes;
11/08/2012 : Sessions: Summoner Spells, Ability Explanation + Skill Sequence, Items Order - Items Explanation, Situacional Itens, Gameplay and Change Log have been created;
12/08/2012: Sessions: "Ability Explanation + Skill Sequence" and "Order Items - Items Explanation" were divided into two sessions;
The session Situational Items changed its name to Situational / Alternative Items;
The sessions: Introduction, Lore, Summary and Tips and Tricks were created;
Was added banners and decorations to guide (graphics everywhere, was rebuilt);
The guide has been completely revised looking for grammar errors, information errors;
A Guide was published;
14/08/2012: The Hextech Gunblade was replaced by Rod of Ages because of the need to have more HP and mana early and mid game. I discovered after several tests that Diana has a greater advantage with this item. All unnecessary comments were not taken into account.
15/08/2012: Due to the need to have more resistance at the beginning and middle of the match, the order of items was modified leaving Rabadon's Deathcap as one of the last items.
16/08/2012: Added Mercury's Treads as a necessary item for Diana (Suggestion of our friend Morrigna Sedai). Sorcerer's Shoes added for alternative items or situational. Berserker's Greaves was replaced by Ionian Boots of Lucidity at its meeting on alternative items or situational. Thornmail situational items removed. The other two mentioned are far superior to it.
Credits to JhoiJhoi's guide for Making a Guide, which helped me a lot. Her guide can be found here!
Credits for Ciderhelm and RiotGamesInc for their amazing videos.
Special thanks to my friends Hansgu and BreakCrazy that helped me take some print screens.
Thank you for reading my Guide, please comment and give me your vote.