Ekko Build Guide by Hubes
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
AP Hyper Carry O.o
Typical Full Build (In Order)
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Damage Output: Hella
Jungler ganking potential: Phase Dive away and watch him cry in the all chat OR ward bush, Parallel Convergence without him even knowing and end his miserable life. He'll still cry but you'll pickup some free gold too.
Speciality: Chronobreak and instakill kids.
Explanation: Parallel Convergence + Timewinder + Phase Dive + Z-Drive Resonance = kids get angry (because they're dead).
Table of Contents
Introduction for Ekko as well as myself.
|2. Pros and Cons
What Ekko excels at and what Ekko struggles with.
Masteries and Alternatives that work well with Ekko.
|Hello all, and welcome to my first guide! Today, we're going to take a look at Ekko, the Boy Who Shattered Time. As a new champ, there are several choppy guides written that don't necessarily do a good job in completely and thoroughly describing Ekko. In essence, Ekko is a complete beast of an AP assassin. His combos are swift, quick, and deadly. Ready to get started?|
Pros / Cons
|- Difficult to master.
- Somewhat vulnerable pre-6.
- Uses LOTS of mana.
- Long cooldowns.
|To be honest, Ekko does not have that many drawbacks. The only major one that comes to mind with me is his mana consumption. Other than that, I have updated this guide to be much easier on players in the early laning phase. Morellonomicon makes it easier for players to recall comfortably AND build while doing so.|
For Ekko, we are going to go with 21 points to offensive masteries and 9 points to defensive masteries.
Z-Drive Resonance: // Z-Drive Resonance, or Ekko's passive, is one of the most important skills in determining the outcome of your pokes or kill attempts. Each basic or ability attack will add one stack of . On the third stack, Ekko's basic attack will deal 15 + (12x Ekko's level) (+70% ability power) in bonus magic damage. Furthermore, Ekko will remove 40/50/60/70/80% movement speed for 2.5/3/3.5 seconds. If the enemy target is a champion, this movement speed will be stolen and added onto Ekko's current movement speed. This makes a great move for poking, because the stolen movement speed will make it easy for Ekko to retreat back to safety. This also makes for a great kill-shot when paired up with , for they both stack together.
Timewinder: // Timewinder, or Ekko's Q, will be your primary move for farming, poking, and potentially killing. When activated, Ekko throws a skill-shot time device that deals 60/75/90/105/130 (+20% ability power) magic damage to all enemies in its path. On its way back to Ekko (after traveling a short distance after the throw and slowing enemies in doing so), the time-device deals 60/85/110/135/160 (+60% ability power) in magic damage. adds a stack of for each time an enemy is hit (potential of 2 stacks should the device hit a target when thrown and on the way back).
You're going to want to max out Timewinder before Parallel Convergence and also before Phase Dive.
- // Utilize the added stacks of to plan combo moves to deal extra damage.
- // Following throwing the device, Ekko can run to a different position to force the device to pass through other enemies.
- // When the device reaches the end of its course, it applies a slow to enemies struck by it. Use this to your advantage to dive and poke again.
Parallel Convergence: // Prarallel Convergence, or Ekko's W, acts as a passive and also as a means of stunning and slowing enemies. As a passive, will deal an additional 5% (+1% per 45AP) of the enemy's missing health to targets under 30% health (max 400 damage vs. minions and monsters). As an active, Ekko creates a chronosphere at a target location after a 3-second delay. Enemies caught inside will be slowed by 40%. However, if Ekko enters the chronosphere, it will detonate, granting Ekko a shield that absorbs 150/195/240/285/330 (+80% ability power) damage for 2 seconds. Additionally, any enemies caught inside when the chronosphere is detonated will be stunned for 2.25 seconds.
You're going to want to max out Parallel Convergence after Timewinder and after Phase Dive.
- // Utilize to begin your high damage pokes or to initiate fights. All enemies caught inside of the chronosphere will be given a stack of
- // Enemies are unable to see the target location on screen until the chronosphere is activated. Use this to your advantage.
- // has a 3 second delay prior to activating the chronosphere. Consider this when planning your target locations.
Phase Dive: // Phase Dive, or Ekko's E, will act as both an escape ability and as a means to re-initiate fights with fleeing enemies. When activated, Ekko dashes a short distance in a targeted direction, and his next basic attack is granted 300 bonus range. This next attack will deal 50/80/110/140/170 (+20% ability power) bonus magic damage and will teleport Ekko to his target.
You're going to want to max out Phase Dive after Timewinder and before Parallel Convergence.
- // Utilize to re-engage in fleeing enemies. Odds are they are fleeing because they are dying, and if they are dying then you probably put three stacks of , so your movement speed should be boosted to begin with.
- // When planning a attack, try and do so when your target has 3 stacks of to deal tons of damage.
- // allows Ekko to dash through narrow walls around the map. When fleeing from bad situations, utilize this to your advantage.
Chronobreak: // Chronobreak, or Ekko's R, will act as your ultimate ability. It is very likely that may be one of the most OP ultimates in the game in patch 5.10, so it is important that you utilize it to the fullest of your ability. When activated, Ekko becomes invulnerable and untargetable and teleports him to wherever he was 4 seconds ago. Additionally, Ekko heals himself for 100/150/200 (+20/25/30% (+1% per 30 AP) of the damage he has taken over the last 4 seconds), and deals 200/350/500 (+130% AP) in magic damage to all nearby enemies on arrival.
- // has many beneficial uses to Ekko, including escaping sticky situations, healing, and baiting enemies to their death. Feel free to play more dangerously with Ekko when Chronobreak is up.
- // If an enemy is brave enough to stand and fight you straight up when you have up, your 4-second clone will eventually catch up and stand directly where you are fighting, which enables you to heal and deal tons of magic damage right there.
- // Honestly, there's not a very high chance of death when is up. Just don't play stupid and it's almost a guaranteed victory in a fight.
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration: With these, Ekko's magic damage is further boosted, increaing his already obnoxious damage output.
- Greater Quintessence of Ability Power: With these, Ekko has an increased AP value at the beginning of the game, and thus further increases his chances of killing for First Blood.
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist: With these, Ekko is less vulnerable to magic damage, especially in the early laning phase.
- [Greater Seal of Health]]: With these, Ekko isn't as squishy, and thus is less likely to become First Blood to an agressive laning opponent.
Core Items Rationale
|Just as with any other AP mid-laner, you're going to want to buy Sorcerer's Shoes for the increased MP to deal further damage with your abilities.|
|In my earlier guide, I stated that Luden's Echo was the best first buy for Ekko. I was wrong. Morellonomicon helps Ekko in three critical areas: CDR, AP, and most importantly, mana regen. Trust me, it will produce better, more consistent results than rushing Luden's Echo.|
|After Morellonomicon, you are then free to begin to build with freedom. Luden's Echo is a great second buy thanks to the 120 AP, the charges (similar to Statikk Shiv), and also the +5% movement speed.|
|Before this revision, I made the claim that Abyssal Scepter works better with Ekko the majority of the time. After playing more, I have taken much better liking to Zhonya's Hourglass. This doesn't mean that Abyssal Scepter is ruled out, but I would only purchase as your defense item if you're facing a heavy AP team. Other than that, Zhonya's is your best bet.|
|In my first draft of my guide, I stated that Abyssal Scepter was the better choice for Ekko the majority of the time. However, after playing with Zhonya's Hourglass, I have come to the conclusion that this is definitely the better choice. The +120 AP, 50 armor, AND its legendary passive allows you to play more confidently with less risk of death.|
In conclusion (for those who actually made it this far), I want to thank you so much for reading my first guide. If it helped you in any way, I would really appreciate an upvote! Anyways, I wish you all good luck in destroying kids with Ekko.