Evelynn Build Guide by DarkJavelin
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
We recommend you take a look at this author's other builds.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
|Hello fellow summoners, I am DarkJavelin, and welcome to my first champion build spotlight featuring Evelynn The Widowmaker. Personally, I always keep Evelynn as my jungler in order to catch the jump on people. Believe it or not most still don't try to use Vision Ward to spot her, which plays mostly in my favor. In this guide, I will try to give as much detail as possible without making it too long winded and boring people to death. Note, since it is my first time making this I do not have all the fancy pictures and all down for everyone to be amazed by. Lol. So without further delay, lets begin on our explanation shall we?
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
Pros / Cons
+ Shadow Walk makes others unable to see you coming
+ Great Burst Damage
+ Excellent Ult with AoE Effect and CC
+ Dark Frenzy able to remove slow effects and increase movement speed
+ Easily able to gank to force opponents into recall
+ Very fun and enjoyable champ <3
When playing jungle Evelynn, you can easily roam your jungle and mind your own business at the beginning of the game. Shadow Walk is a great ganking passive which allows you to sneak up to your opponent without being seen. To be able to tell when you are seen, an exclamation mark will appear above your head and the eye above your enemy's head will be red. By the time they see you, you can do major damage to them and chase while spamming Hate Spike. Her burst damage, can be very high which makes her very scary early on. It takes time for your enemy to build magic resist if they don't start off with it so it's best to deal damage early in the game while you can still hurt the most. Evelynn's ult, Agony's Embrace, can slow down opponents and also gives her a temporary shield for a set duration. In this time you can continue to deal damage to your opponent and if they try to escape Dark Frenzy can quickly close the gap. With that said, Dark Frenzy can also work for escaping as well. If you find that the gank isn't working in your favor or you have been caught off guard and slowed, you can easily activate it and run to safety. Activating the ability removes all slowing effects while increasing your movement speed for a limited time. If they manage to still catch up to you Flash is your back-up plan.
- Hard CC spells problems for her.
- Vision Ward can easily detect her
- Takes practice to get used to stealth range
- Can be very squishy
- Easily focused in teamfights
- Best ganks mostly happen at lvl 6 Agony's Embrace
Hard CC spells like Lux's Light Binding, Lissandra's Ring of Frost, etc. will not be removed by Dark Frenzy due to them rooting you down for a short time. It is best that you save your Dark Frenzy until after they have worn off, but you are an easy target in the meantime. Vision Wards can and will reveal you to the enemy team and the only way to solve this problem is to purchase Oracle's Elixir to take the wards out, or purchase a Vision Ward of your own. Evelynn's Stealth range can be tricky when just picking her up. I will admit I used to think the yellow eye meant they could see me but they cannot. It only is a warning that the range of which they will be able to see you is shortening so play carefully. She is also very squishy starting off and depending on your own twists with the item builds (if you decide not to go with this one), that will be a problem throughout the game. In team fights, she WILL be focused so as to shut her down and keep her from becoming too fed to handle on their own. Evelynn's best ganks are a result of reaching lvl 6 for Agony's Embrace so as to completely slow down the enemy and slay them. Since the range for where she can activate it, is the same size as her Shadow Walk's vision range she is able surprise the enemy without being seen. Problem is, early ganks have become a big thing now so at times you may fall behind.
|Although this is a Hybrid build, I find it best to build AP mastery for her burst damage. Not to mention the constant spamming of Hate Spike will continue to replenish your health, and in combo with Ravage it builds even more. With 21/0/9, you get great amounts of burst damage and due to her constant use of Hate Spike your mana will last a little longer than how it would be without the increase.
will help bring your Flash back sooner when it is very well needed. Until then it is required that you play safely until then, not taking big risks such as turret diving unless you have the health for it.
will help in your hybrid build allowing your attacks to deal bonus magic damage on your basic attacks. Combined with Lich Bane, it is very effective in chopping down health. Since Evelynn's constant use of abilities take chunks of health away it is best to go with
since it's best to let her attack speed build upon level rather than items. Not to mention, after using an ability like Ravage, it resets her attack time so she immediately hits after the ability use.
- Greater Quintessence of Ability Power: Of course it goes without saying since Evelynn is mostly an AP burst champ, ability is very well needed. The more damage she builds with AP combined with her build, the more health is restored upon using the abilities.
- Greater Quintessence of Spell Vamp: I only decide to take one rather than make it my main focus to take three. It doesn't hurt to have a little extra in the runes. Besides, money is hard to keep these days so I don't have the money to buy rune pages for every occasion. lol
- Greater Mark of Ability Power: As said, you want to deal as much damage as possible when playing with an AP champ and if you only have two rune pages it's best to build the way I have it displayed here. Half ability power and half Greater Mark of Magic Penetration.
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist: The less damage you take from champs the better off you are. When facing off against AP champs you, of course, want to build some magic resist in order to keep yourself from taking too much damage from them.
- Greater Seal of Armor: We all get tired of dealing with AD champs as well when it comes to their high damage output. So armor is necessary and in order to survive the jungle you have to be able to endure. As a result, greater seals of armor are necessary though be sure to be careful of armor penetration. Do not be reckless thinking you cannot be harmed.
Smite: It goes without saying that Junglers do require smite to be able to take out the monsters. Though smite also has various other uses such as stealing another's monster when the health is low enough. This goes for Ancient Golem , Elder Lizard , and Dragon , even Baron Nashor . This will not only tip the balance in your favor but at times cause the opposing jungler to become angry and chase you down which can lead to you baiting them into a trap for your team to deal with them.
Flash: This is your secondary escape tactic just in case there is another person with a slow and they activate it on you. A lot of slows tend to be AoEs now and so it will help you get to a safe distance. Flash can also cause you to appear on the other side of a wall or any other obstacle for a better chance to escape as the slow effect wears off. Case in point Nasus's Wither.
Teleport: If you feel as though you do not need Flash this is your next Summoner Spell I recommend. If you find that your turret may be overrun, or you are at bottom and just finished ganking but need to get to top in hurry before it is taken out Teleport will get you there to deal with the problem. It can be especially useful if a teammate has set down a ward for you to use in order to perform a unique gank or surprise the enemy if they are pushing a turret and your teammate is not at his lane for whatever reason.
- ABILITY: Shadow Walk is Evelynn's passive that causes her to go into stealth after six seconds. She can only be seen if someone is within the 700 vision range or if an item gives true site. While stealthed, she regenerates 1% of her mana every second. This is very helpful due to her constant use of Hate Spike. Very helpful with ganks so that your enemy never sees you coming until it's too late.
- ABILITY (Q): This ability causes an spike to instantly strike the nearest enemy or minion around Evelynn or the last one she attacked. It deals 50% less damage to a secondary enemy that is struck after the first. This is a good poke tool when in range while chasing an enemy.
- ABILITY (W): Each time Evelynn uses an ability it gives her increased movement speed that stacks up to four times and lasts for three seconds. When activated, it removes all slows and greatly increases her movement speed by a percentage that lasts for three seconds. It also allows her to move through units without collision. The same effect as Phantom Dancer.
- ABILITY (E): Evelynn slashes her enemy twice dealing a damage plus bonus damage to the target. It also gives her a percentage of attack speed for three seconds after landing the attack. These percentages of Attack Speed increase upon level and the bonus damage increases with more AP.
- ABILITY (R): Evelynn's ultimate, causing her to impale her enemies with spikes. Every champ caught in the spikes gives Evelynn a temporary health shield of up to 300 which lasts 6 seconds and dealing up to 25% of their health in magic damage plus 1% per 100 AP. It also slows the enemy down by up to 70% for two seconds.
Ability Sequence Order
|When jungling Evelynn, Hate Spike is your best friend and best poke for chase downs. It is also your constant damage dealing to monsters so maxing before 9 is your best option. Of course like other ults you should lvl it at six, eleven, and sixteen. Ravage is the second thing you wish to max so that when roaming through jungle and attacking the more heavy hitting monsters you can deal great amount of damage and take them out sooner. This is also a good burst attack against champs and is usually what I first open up with if ganking before lvl six. Take one point into Dark Frenzy and max it last since it is just your escape route or your route to go in. Not to mention it is a fairly low cooldown, so it's not mandatory.|
|You are going to want to deal magic penetration, otherwise you will find that your bursts tend to come up short in the damage department. Sorcerer's Shoes helps with that, increasing your magic penetration by 15. This is great for AP champs who have fairly short cooldowns to begin with.|
|Of course, when jungling this items is very well needed. It not only gives you more spell vamp but also cooldown reduction for Evelynn and some extra ability power. This is usually the second or third item I build along with the shoes.|
|Not only does this item give you more AP, but also magic penetration AND health. If you want to be able to last longer in fights while dealing DoT then this item is for you. I usually start building this after building Spirit of the Spectral Wraith.|
|All I can say about this item is, let them try and run. With the constant spamming of your Hate Spike they won't get too far. This item also gives you more health to spare so that you won't be so squishy. I would say that this item would be in tie with Liandry's Torment to build since they both give you a decent batch of health. It can also help when your team is chasing someone and can't catch up to the enemy in time and you cut them off.|
|In team fights you have two options, you can either go in with your team and when the initiator has started and the entire team is fighting. Come in with Agony's Embrace, and focus on the ADC as your team should, then move on to the next heavy hitter and so on and so forth. Your second option, is playing the assassin role and take them out one at a time. Go in, hit hard, get out. For the beefier characters save your ult or use it when first going in with everyone else and pick them off afterwords. Playing clean-up never hurt anybody. In fact, some encourage it.|
| Evelynn is a great champion to play, very fun and you can be a troll with her if that's your thing. I have seen a lot of people play clean up with her, letting their laner deal quite the bit of damage on the enemy then she comes in and kills them and runs off. It can be annoying when it happens to you but it is very effective. When playing against an Evelynn be sure to buy Vision Wards whenever possible so as to keep an eye out for her presence.
Remember, the night is your veil, so go forth into the night and make them scream. By the way, c'mon you guys got to admit you'd fall for Evelynn's seductive tricks if she played them out on you. What guy wouldn't? Enjoy this beautiful champion.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.