Ezreal Build Guide by MEsiex
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hi, my name is MEsiex. I play at EUW and I have over 1400 ELO in preseason 3. I played Ezreal for over half of the year and I always played him as typical ADCarry. When preseason 3 kicked in i saw it is good time to make him as an ADCaster and I think it went pretty well. It is my first guide ever so pls tell me if I need to explain something better, add or change or remove something.
Pros / Cons
+ great harass
+ a lot of mobility
+ aggresive lane
+ built-in Flash
Viable summoner spells
Flash is great for escaping out of dangerous situations or to position yourself in a fight (something very important on Ezreal)
Ignite will secure those first kills in the match, counter heals and help dealing with champions like Swain or Dr. Mundo
Barrier can save you during teamfights or when you get caught out of position, works similar to heal, but is harder to counter.
I usually find myself to take Flash + Ignite. Flash for security and Ignite to secure kills and counter healing effects from champions like Soraka, Sona, Taric or summoner spell - Heal. If you're not so confident about your laning phase you can take Barrier instead of Ignite for defence. I don't recommend taking Heal as it can be easily countered by well-timed Ignite, nor would I take Cleanse as your support might just build Mikael's Crucible ( great item BTW )
- The Bloodthirster - gives great amount of AD and lifesteal, early boost in damage
- Iceborn Gauntlet - needed armor, mana to spam skills, proc with Mystic Shot
- Zephyr - AS, some AD, tenacity against heavy CC enemies, and cooldown reduction - must as and ADCaster
- Last Whisper - AD, 35% armor penetration for killing tanks and bruisers who stack armor
- Guardian Angel - armor, MR, second life
- Berserker's Greaves - AS, and more movement speed
- First buy - Long Sword + 2x Health Potion + Total Biscuit of Rejuvenation from masteries. If i'm laning against someone like Nidalee I prefer to take Boots of Speed + 3x Health Potion + Total Biscuit of Rejuvenation.
- First recall - 2x Doran's Blade, upgrade Long Sword into Vampiric Scepter, Berserker's Greaves.
- The Bloodthirster for great amount of dmg plus lifesteal (100 AD, 18% lifesteal - fully stacked).
Next I go for Iceborn Gauntlet, which procs with your Q and it gives you tons of armor and mana so you can spam those Mystic Shot. Start it with either Sheen or Glacial Shroud - whatever you need more at the time.
- Zephyr gives you AS which is needed on ADC, crit strike chance, and tenacity which is extremely useful, as an ADCaster you need that CDR
- Last Whisper to kill tanks and bruisers faster.
- Guardian Angel (you can get it earlier if you see yourself dead too often) for commonly known reasons (armor, MR, second life).
- Enchantment: Furor or Enchantment: Alacrity. It's up to you which one you take.
I consider also buying Maw of Malmortius over Guardian Angel for shield and more MR.If you have died already ~5 times it is better to go for GA, but if are immortal this game (never died or only 1 or 2 deaths) go for Maw of Malmortius for better stats. Never take diffrent boots. Ionian Boots of Lucidity won't give you more CDR, you already have tenacity from Zephyr so you don't need Mercury's Treads and more armor from Ninja Tabi is just useless. Enchantments for boots are useful but they cost too much and if you don't buy them early it doesn't really matter.
- buy Maw of Malmortius if you don't die
- always take Berserker's Greaves
- enchantment is up to you
Rising Spell Force After you hit something with a skill you get 10% AS for 6 seconds, stacks up to 6 times. The only reason why Ezreal doesn't need to buy AS items early in game. Helps while killing dragon or baron. Remember that your Essence Flux 'hits' your allies too, so well aimed W will get you some stacks.
Mystic Shot Sends a missile to a targeted location, which can hit minions, lowers cooldowns on other skills by 1 second if hits anything, does physical damage. Bread and butter of AD Ezreal. You can easily farm with that and it's a great tool for harassing. Hit-on effect are applied by Mystic Shot. Makes kiting posiible, with Iceborn Gauntlet kiting is as easy as ABC.
Essence Flux Sends a wave of energy dealing magic damage, doesn't hit minions, hits multiple enemies, if passes through an ally increses his AS. Does decent damage. Can be used to harass if your enemy is hiding behind minions. In a combo use it before Mystic Shot
Arcane Shift Teleports Ezreal to a targeted location, sends a projectile which hits near enemy dealing magic damage. Built-in Flash. Great for escaping, following enemies, diving for a kill (risky) or kiting. Better to save it in teamfights for escaping from bruisers and assasins.
Trueshot Barrage Sends a wide missile dealing magic damage to everything in it's way. Global ultimate. Does tons of damage. Use it at the beginnig of a teamfight to get those passive stacks. Remember that it's damage is lower if it has to get through minions or any enemies first. It reavels terrain so you can check if enemy team is doing dragon or baron. If you are similiar with such spells ( Enchanted Crystal Arrow) you can use it to snipe low HP targets.
I max my Mystic Shot first for harass as it has niceAD ratio. Then I go for Essence Flux for more dmg in teamfights. Max Arcane Shift last as you're gonna be using it mostly to escape. If enemy team has got many champions that can jump in front of you i recommend maxing Arcane Shift second and Essence Flux last for more escaping tools. Of course lvl your R whenever it is possible.
On Ezreal I go for 21/0/9 taking almost allattack damage in offense + lower cooldowns + Summoner's Wrath and mana/lvl + mana regen + reduced cooldown on Flash and other Summoner Spells + Biscuiteer for another potion at the start of the game.
Greater Mark of Lethality
Greater Mark of Attack Damage
Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
For runes I take 6x Greater Mark of Armor Penetration + 3x Greater Mark of Attack Damage, 9x Greater Seal of Armor, 9x Greater Glyph of Magic Resist, 3x Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage. It gives you 9.6AD for start and it combined with 7.7 armor penetration makes your first Mystic Shot really hurt. 12.69 armor and 12.06 MR for better sustain in lane and in mid game.
CS is very important on ADC as your items are usually the most expensive ones. On Ezreal it is easy to farm. Just autoattack to get last hit. If you get zoned use your Q for last hitting and sniping those minions. Cooldown on Q is so low that you should use it to farm from time to time to lower cooldowns on other spells (especially on R). When there are two creeps low on HP use Q on one of them and auto attack on the other to kill both.
How to Farm
All credits go to Photonman. It's an old video but it has what it takes to teach you how to last hit. I know there's Ashe in the video but basics are the same. The only difference is that Ezreal can also farm with Mystic Shot
Counterpicks and Synergies
- Draven - lots of HP and dmg with his Spinning Axe
- Miss Fortune - even more HP
- Caitlyn - long range and nasty poke
- Zyra - can zone hard, tons of CC
- Soraka - silence, lot of heal
- Taric - bonus armor, heal, stun on lane
- Blitzcrank - tons of CC
- Leona - same as Blitzcrank, passive works nice with Ezreal who's spamming abilities
- Sona - heal, nice poke
- Soraka - heal, free mana to spam skills
That's all I could think of. I just wanted to share with you my way of playing Ezreal. Hope you liked it. Pls comment. Have a nice day :)