Ezreal Build Guide by
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello LoLers. I've been playing Ezreal, and also been maining him for a while now, and I'd love to share what kind of build, and how I play him. Ezreal has been one of the characters that I have to say that's been the most fun to play with. Unlike other champions, Ezreal does not have a weapon and casts spells with his hands. Maybe that's what inspired me. Ezreal is a powerful early and late game burst. He deals great damage throughout the entire game if you can play him correctly, which in this guide, I will show you how to play Ezreal at his full potential. Although he has been nerfed, he can still be powerful. Ezreal can be played in Mid, and also can be played two in a lane, and I'll show you both ways to play him. So let's get into details :D!
I choose Armor Pen Marks because his Mystic Shot deals great damage early game after purchasing a Dorans Blade. If your opponent is squishy, it can deal up to a quarter of the HP with an auto attack afterward. I pick Clarity Seals because it keeps your mana up for early game lane control without backing and harassment. Ezreal can be annoying sometimes as you can pierce your opponents armor with your masteries and runes. Flat Cooldown Reduction also gives Ezreal a humongous boost because his ult is another main damage of Ezreal, and the cooldown of his ult is extremely long, so this helps the cooldown of his ult and other skills for great harassment. Last but not least, Flat HP Quints, Ezreal is fairly squishy and can be harassed easily. This helps Ezreal stay in lane longer.
There's nothing really to explain about the Masteries that I've picked. Pretty self explanatory.
1. Dorans Blade- This gives Ezreal great damage and survivability early game. If played right, he can be very dangerous.
2. Boots of Swiftness- Ezreal is the champion that wants to stay behind the tank and the team just shooting his skills. So if he gets caught, with 2 flashes and a ghost, he can easily get away. This boot is my choice though, of course. Many other people would suggest the Cooldown Reduction boot, or Berserkers.
3. Sheen- Dorans blade+Sheen early game= Rapes enemy ***. Depending on the enemy you're facing, you can be able to harrase like a boss with just a Sheen and Dorans Blade. With Sheens boost, Ezreals Mystic Shot is very powerful.
4. Phage- This item gives great survivability and slows enemy champions, which is what you want. Ezreal does not have any CC, so slowing down your enemy helps a lot, and that's why I choose this item. I would not recommend Frozen Mallet.
5. Zeal- I usually don't buy this item, because I just buy Trinity Force after Sheen and Phage, but Zeal gives great movement speed, which you need, and great crit damage.
6. Trinity Force- Your first item that is complete, after buying this item, you should be doing a lot of damage, unless you've fed and hopefully you wont after you read this guide.
7. Infinity Edge- This is another item that gives Ezreal powerful damage. The Attack Damage and the Crit Damage that Infinity Edge gives, helps Ezreal get easy kills.
8. Blood Thirsters- Nothing much to say, Damage and Lifesteal.
9. Now two last items is totally up to you, depending on the situations. If you're carrying the team and no one is focusing you, you can build a Black Cleaver. If the enemy team has a lot of CC and focuses you, you can buy Banshee's Veil. Last, to finish the items up, you can either buy a Hextech Gunblade, or a QuickSilver Sash for Lols.
I start off with a Dorans Blade. If I mid, then I can easily get Sheen and boots after my first recall, but if I'm laning, then it'll take a while to farm up, and if not, get some kills- aka First Blood. If you know how to play Ezreal correctly, you can get first blood no problem. After your first recall, if you've been getting kills and getting farmed, buy a Sheen, boots, and 2 Health Potions. If not, you're either getting harrased too much and not playing correctly with him, buy another Dorans Blade, or boots, and get some HP pots. Don't forget to buy some wards incase of ganks!! The rest of the items are pretty self explanatory.
Now this is the most important part of learning how to play Ezreal. You'd want to Harrase with just your Q, and E. Mystic Shot and Arcane Shift. During the minion wave that comes, move to the left, or the right side of the minion wave. This prevents your opponent from using any skill shots that may kill you. Keep moving from left to right, and stay away from your opponent. While your opponent is busy killing a minions, Arcane shift towards your opponent and follow up with a Mystic Shot and a auto attack. This should give great harrassement if you're soloing mid. If you're not soloing mid, and laning with a partner, try and stay in the bush where your opponent can not use any skill shots on you. The same technique, Arcane Shift while your opponent is occupied with a minion and Mystic Shot. This is how you harrasse with Ezreal. I will explain more later.
Flash- Ezreal gets focused "EZ"ily, because he is squishy and has nothing to protect him. Flash gives Ezreal an extra way to escape either than just Arcane Shift. Arcane Shift, then Flash, can get you out of most situations. Double Flash FTW.
Ghost- Again, Ezreal has no escape tactics, so running faster than your opponent is an advantage.
Ignite- Some people would use Ignite and Flash, but I don't think Ignite is reliable enough to get you an escape route. Yes, you may get a kill or two with ignite, but when it comes to escpaing, you have no where to run.
Ezreal is hardly ever played in Ranked because he has no CC what so ever. If you're going to play ranked with Ezreal, you're obviously going to have to play and carry every game in Normal Games. If not, you'll just suffer and die in Ranked.
Pros / Cons
Early Game Carry
Late Game Carry
Has a Flash
Hard to play
No escape tactics
Creeping / Jungling
All you need to do is last hit minions and you're fine. You're not going to Jungle Ezreal because he can't, haha, don't even try.
Ezreal RELIES on his team when it comes to Team Fights. In every team fight, Ezreal would always get focused because if you're fed, you'll do the most damage just auto attacking. This is why Ezreal is hard to play. If you and your team cannot communicate, then Ezreal is not the best champion for you to play. Without a team, Ezreal can't do any damage. By staying behind the tank, you can mostly kill anyone.
Well, I've already taught you how to harrase, but I'm going to get into detail. When you're soloing in Mid, harrase your enemy with auto attacking and skilled Mystic Shots. Perfect skill shots will require practice. Once you master using skill shots, then Ezreal will be really "EZ" to play.
Arance Shift-> Mystic Shot-> Auto Attack-> Mystic Shot should insure a kill, but if not, you'll have to use your ult and not miss with it. This is why you'll need to practice skill shots. If your enemy runs away in their lane with like 10-30 HP. You'll kill them with your Ult.
Inorder to win the lane and take control over the lane, you'd need to harrasse, last hit, and also secure kills. Make sure you don't get ganked, because if you do, there's no way out.
So now that you know how to play Ezreal correctly, you'll be able to carry your games, and hopefully you'd have a lot of fun with him as I have lots of fun with him. Good luck!