Ezreal Build Guide by JuicyJesse
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Please Read :)
Please bear with me, i dont know much about making guides and it took me along time to make this. All i can ask for is you read and judge on what i already have done and please vote nicely and honestly, try not to downvote yet untill i finish this build. All i can ask for now is for you, the community, to help me make this guide better. I also have to give a HUGE thanks to jhoijhoi for everything in her how to make a guide, guide. Its just amazing. If your thinking about making a build check her guide out here: jhoijhoi's Guide to Making a Guide.
Next patch, Ezreal is getting a buff, that will make this guide work even better when using his q, and hopefully, i can add an ap guide to go with the increase ap scale on essence flux
Ap and a standard Ad carry build.
Improved item section.
Ezreals counters, who he is good with, and who he plays well agaisnt.
Making the build look nicer.
......Hello, and welcome to my Ezreal build guide. Ezreal is definitely not your standard ad carry. This build will mainly focus on Ezreal's Mystic Shot instead of auto attacking. Because of this, we have to have different items, masteries, and summoner spells that will benefit him most. It'll be short and sweet and I promise, by the time your done reading this guide you'll be a better Ezreal player. So please, be generous and vote nicely, and if you think I should change something, just leave a comment and I will be glad to look it over.
......At the top is the core item build. Every game is different so you don't have to buy the items in that order, or buy the same items; you can switch 1 or 2 out. Yes, knowing these things is normal and all apart of a match and winning certain fights. So, please, just read ahead and learn a thing or two before you go "Psh, he doesn't know anything."
When I first started off in the world of League of Legends, I mostly played ranged people. Then I got into doing ad carries. But one day, I saw that pulse fire ezreal was coming out so I thought "OH! I NEED that skin!" So, I baught Ezreal and began training, so that one day, I could be good, and look good while doing it. Starting off with Ezreal wasn't easy, but i fell in love with him. You have to learn when the perfect time is to use your skills, and hit your skillshots. But once you get used to him, and use the right build, you can own, literally OWN!
Pros / Cons
The masteries that I like to go for Ezreal are 22/1/7. Again, Ezreal is different kind of ad carry. Due to his skills, items, and summoner spells, we have to have different masteries. I know its a little messed up, but once i explain why i go 22/1/7, you'll understand :)
Why dont you have any in Vampirism ?We dont get any in Vampirism because chances are your going to have a support that can heal, and hp potions usually get you by till a Vampiric Scepter if you dont have a healing support.
Why dont you have any in Havoc ?We don't get any points in Havoc because 1.5% is not a lot. Once you think about it, thats only 15 extra damage per 1000 :( not a bunch, not worth it.
Why do you only have 2 points in Sunder ?Theres only 2 points in Sunder because theres no more points left to put in it. The 4 armor penetration is just enough.
- Greater Mark of Desolation: For your Mystic Shot
- Greater Mark of Attack Damage: For last hitting minions and doing a little more damage to the enemy champs early game.
If you get the ad marks, get the armor pen quints.
Get both ad marks and quints if your having trouble with last hitting.
Whichever you want is totally up to you, depending on whether you want to save ip or if you dont care.
- Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration or Greater Seal of Replenishment: Ezreal uses lots of mana, but i just get the mana regen glyphs over the seals, so you can take the armor seals instead. Feel free to get these and not the mana regen glyphs, if you want magic resist per level.
- Greater Seal of Armor: The extra armor is great to survive the lane against the other ad carry.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Mana Regeneration or Greater Glyph of Replenishment: Recently, i found that these are better then the magic resist on Ezreal, because your going to be spamming your Q a lot and need mana. Swap these out for the mana regen seals if you want the mana regen, and armor.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist : For your safety in late game against those mages. Only get these instead of the mana regen glyphs if you find yourself getting bursted down by mages to much.
- Greater Quintessence of Health : Get these if you think 78 hp will help you alot.
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage : Good on any ad carry, get these if you got armor pen marks or they go with your attack damage marks if you find yourself struggling with last hitting.
- Greater Quintessence of Desolation : Great for increasing your damage on Mystic Shot. Get these only if you got ad marks, you need a mix between the two for last hitting and hitter a little harder on the enemy champs.
Greater Mark of Armor Penetration
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Scaling Mana Regeneration
Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage
My Recommended Summoner Spells
Ignite - Ignites target enemy unit, dealing 70-410 true damage over 5 seconds and reduces healing effects on the target for the duration.
Great on bot because chances are, the enemy ad carry has heal, ignite counters that hard. I take ignite because it helps me get the kill! Use only when enemy has about 3-5 bars of hp left, depending on their level. Keep auto-attacking to ensure the kill. Take if your an aggressive player. If you take ignite, remember to find an extra point and put it in the mastery that buffs it.
Heal - Restores 145-570 Health to your champion and 50% of that to nearby allies.
I highly recommend heal on any ad carry. Heal is great for baiting and surviving those hard fights. The only times i dont take heal is if my support takes it or if i have a soraka as a support, because she has hard heals and i know ill be able to survive the fight. Take if you like luring and surviving. If you take heal, remember to find an extra point and put it in the mastery that buffs it.
Exaust - Exhausts target champion, reducing their Movement Speed by 40%, attack damage dealt by 70%, and ability and item damage dealt by 35% for 2.5 seconds.
Exaust is great to use on the enemy ad carry. I usually rely on my support to have this though. If they dont take exaust, replace it with your ignite or heal. Take if you want to play a little on the safe side for escaping, mixed with some agressiveness. If you take exhaust, remember to find and extra point and put it in the mastery that buffs it.
Flash - Teleports your champion toward your cursor's location.
Take this if you want to ensure your safety, and finding yourself in trouble alot. Use it to escape over walls. I usually dont take flash because Ezreal has Arcane Shift for a flash. I recommend flash for beginners to Ezreal. When you do take flash, get used to escaping with Arcane Shift, because then, you can take a different summoner spell that will benefit Ezreal more. If you take flash, remember to find and extra point and put it in the mastery that buffs it.
Ghost - Your champion ignores unit collision and has 27% increased Movement Speed for 10 seconds.
Get ghost if you love running away, or catching up to an enemy, i still think Ezreal's Arcane Shift is a good enough escape. On the bottom of my recommended spells. If you take ghost, remember to find and extra point and put it in the mastery that buffs it.
This is the summoner spell match up for those starting with Ezreal. The heal is great for just barely making out alive in some fights. Also, it can be used for baiting, and luring your enemies to stay and fight so that YOU can get the kill and not THEM. Ignite is starting to become more popular now because people always take heal and people counter that with ignite, so this is just up to you whether you want heal or ignite. The flash is to ensure your safety for when you've already used your Arcane Shift. Both these summoner spells make a great combo.
(What i usually chose)
Many people misjudge when I take ignite + heal. Lets just eliminate the other possible summoner spells and see what were left over. I already have a flash with my Arcane Shift, so i don't need that summoner spell. I usually suggest exhaust for my support so I don't have to take that either. Ghost is just eeeh and not really useful. Most supports would like to take heal, but if the I take it, I get more health out of it. Plus 10% more from Summoner's Resolve . Ignite just insures your kill and shuts down the enemy ad carry when they have heal, easy as that. And if your support takes ignite, they could get the kill, and the ad carry is the one supposed to be getting fed.
Both of these summoner spells make a great combo for pwnage. Proven fact. But remember, you need to play a little more safe with this match up of summoner spells and save your Arcane Shifts for when you need them.
!Remember, mix and match your spells depending on what spells your support takes. Also take into consideration what their abilities are. And when you do take different summoner spells, switch up your tier 1 masteries that buff your summoner spells!
Rising Spell Force - Hitting a target with any of Ezreal's abilities increases his Attack Speed by 10% for 6 seconds (effect stacks up to 5 times).
Ezreal's passive allows him to not build so much attack speed, but to focus on CDR and Attack Damage instead.
- Using Mystic Shot repeatedly will give you the 5 stacks very quickly.
- Using Essence Flux in a group of enemy or ally champs will achieve max stacks quickly.
- Using Trueshot Barrage mostly anywhere will give you max stacks, as long as you hit something.
Mystic Shot - Ezreal fires a bolt of energy which reduces all of his cooldowns by 1 second if it strikes an enemy unit.
OMG! This is the reason why we are here and why I build CDR and Attack Damage. Fully spamable without losing too much mana. Takes chunks of hp out of enemy champions, mostly their ad carry. Very good for kiting and when an enemy is chasing after you. Keep using this and by the time they get to you, they'll be running away instead or even die. Did i mention that it triggers on hit effects like slows and the passive from sheen and tri-force? Well it does :). This skill is why we build AD and CDR.
- Use Mystic Shot in a bush to check for enemies. It will trigger your passive if you hit someone.
- Use Mystic Shot repeatedly on minions or enemy champs to reduce the time on your cooldowns when you've recently used your other skills.
- Mystic Shot is what makes Ezreal an outstanding farmer. Use it to last hit or use it with auto attacks to kill two minions in a short succession.
- Resets attack timer, so auto attacking, then a Mystic Shot, then auto attacking again, is great for harassment.
- Spam it on a champ before a team fight or when being chased to greatly reduce their health.
Essence Flux - Ezreal fires a fluctuating wave of energy, dealing magic damage to enemy champions and reducing their Attack Speed, while increasing the Attack Speed of allied champions.
Great in teamfights, expecially against champs with tons of attack speed. Uses quite a bit of mana, so use it wisely.
- Use Essence Flux in the middle of team fight to increase your allies attack speed, while reducing your enemies' attack speed. Possibly even gain max stacks on your passive for more damage per second.
- Can also be used when your taking down turrets and attempting dragon or baron, to increase your teamates attack speed, while increasing yours from your passive.
Arcane Shift - Ezreal teleports to a target nearby location and fires a homing arrow which strikes the nearest enemy unit.
This is the reason why I dont get flash anymore. Perfect for escapes, and when your building CDR, and hit your Mystic Shots, almost an instant getaway anytime. Anytime your near walls and need to get away now, simply go over to one, and click on the other side. Easy escapes, always remember that!
- Arcane Shift has a larger range then flash, so you can tele over those unflashable walls.
- Use Arcane Shift to juke, damage, or line up your other skills. But, use it wisely, because if you already waste it to attack an enemy, minion, or monster, you got no escape!
- After you use Arcane Shift, always try to get that cooldown back down with Mystic Shot because you never know when you'll need an escape.
Trueshot Barrage - Ezreal channels for 1 second to fire a powerful barrage of energy missiles which do massive damage to each unit they pass through (deals 8% less damage to each unit it passes through).
Ezreals main damage dealer in team fights and also used for sniping and initiating. Use in the middle of a team fight or when your starting a fight to greatly reduce the enemies' health, and achieve those stacks on your passive. Also, use it during or before a 1v1 fight to deal tons of damage to them, initiate, or, finish them off. But remember, THINK. When your using this, you got to time it just right and use it wisely.
- Usually you want to let your team know when you have Trueshot Barrage. They will gladly help you where and when to use it.
- When a low hp enemy gets out of your sight range, aim for bushes close to where they are running, because there probably going to try recalling back to base in a bush.
- Use Trueshot Barrage on a minion wave to either push, or prevent the enemy from taking turrets.
- Try to have wards on all the buffs, dragon, and baron at all times. Stealing those things with Trueshot Barrage can shut down the enemy team. It might take some practice and great timing to pull those things off though, but its so rewarding.
First, were going to take a point in Mystic Shot for that early game harass and farm. Then were going to take Arcane Shift so that you can escape or gain that extra distance on the enemy. Then we put our third point in Essence Flux. I just use it for the early game burst and debuff and it gets better late game. After that, we max out Mystic Shot Arcane Shift and lastly Essence Flux I usually don't max this any sooner unless im finding it hard to hit an enemy behind there minions. Dont forget to put points in Trueshot Barrage at levels 6,11, and 16.
Core Item Build
I can not stress this enough: Ezreal is not your ordinary ad carry. Due to his skills, we have to buy the items that will benefit him most.
The Brutalizer - Goes amazing with Sheen early game. It has CDR, a little attack damage, and armor pen, so your Mystic Shots hit like a truck. Get this before Sheen if you want to last hit better, get Sheen before brut if you want to harass more. Remember to sell this late game so you have room for other items.
Ionian Boots of Lucidity - CDR for further spamming. Nuff said.
Trinity Force - Mystic Shot triggers the passive of this item, which is your main damage source. Also includes a % to slow, hp, crit, attack speed, movement speed, and mana.
The Bloodthirster - Amazing item for any ad carry. It has large amount of attack damage, which add further damage to your Mystic Shots, and lifesteal, to stay a little longer in lane and team fights.
Last Whisper - Even more armor pen so your Mystic Shots hit even harder!
Guardian Angel - Perfect item for any ad carry. Revives you if you get targeted, and by the time your done reviving, you can clean up the mess of the teamfight. Also, when people see this ring around you, they tend to target you less in teamfights. Very good :)
Infinity Edge - Great item overall on any ad carry. Goes great with phantom dancers. But were not really focusing on auto-attacking, so we get this last for when you do auto attack, you be doing tons more damage.
I usually start with boots and pots if i have a support that cant heal strong or even heal at all.
I start out with a doran's blade if i have a strong healer as a support(Taric, Soraka, etc...)
You can also get this item whenever you want after boots. If you have a support that can heal, usually you wait with this item. Most of the time if you stay back and use your Mystic Shots, you wont get attacked. But if you got a hard harassing enemy, feel free to get the extra lifesteal whenever you want.
Note: I usually don't get another doran's blade because id rather save up to get my core items. If you do get a doran's blade first, keep it till you need to make room. If you get boots + pots first, you dont need to get doran's blade unless you really want to. Just remember, while your enemies are stacking dorans, your already saving up and working on your core build, which will definatly win you early game.
Items to replace:
Guardian Angel and Infinity Edge
Banshee's Veil - This is another great ending item besides the Guardian Angel. Get this if the enemy team has a lot of ap and cc. I mostly get if theres a Blitzcrank or someone that uses spell in succession to kill you, like LeBlanc.
Quicksilver Sash - Quicksilver Sash is a great item for teams that have a lot of stuns, taunts, and roots. Can be very useful if that Malzahar ults you. Basically like a Clense except in item form, and comes with magic resist.
Madred's Bloodrazor - Get this if the enemy team has a bunch of health. Mystic Shots will hit much harder because it procs the passive of this item.
Randuin's Omen - Get this if there's a lot of attack speed ad champs on the enemy team. This item's active + your Essence Flux will severely cripple attack speed champs.
Maw of Malmortius - Great item for when your facing that deadly Karthus.
Phantom Dancer - Amazing item for those who like to auto attack.
Warmog's Armor - I usually only get this item if i feel like having a ton of hp, and if theres no reason to get any of the other items.
Harass with your Mystic Shots. This can really bring down their hp before you close in for the kill. Mystic Shot can also be used to farm, that's what makes Ezreal such a good farmer. If you have a soraka as a support or mana pots, feel free to harass with Essence Flux too. You never want to harass with Arcane Shift because an enemy can come out of nowhere and gank you, then you have no escape :( So only save for escapes or if your closing in on the kill.
So, basically you have to last hit. If you dont know what that is, its simply moving back and forth to stop from auto attacking the minions, and when the time is right right click and hit a minion with low hp to get the kill. Its going to take some practice and experience to know when to click on them based on how much ad you have and how much is left in the minions hp bar. If your starting out to learn last hitting or are having trouble, just left click on the minion. That'll bring up its hp bar, and when it gets about the same hp as the amount of ad you have, right click that sucker and kill it.
If your Enemy has around 600 hp left from you harassing them with Mystic Shot you would want to think about going in for the kill. But consider the circumstances first. Like, the enemy champions abilities, what their support can do, if your over extending past the river, or if your too close to the turret, things like that. But if you know that you can do it (going to take some practice with Ezreal or any champ) go in with these steps:
- 1. Know your surroundings and circumstances
- 2. Time to initiate! Initiate with Arcane Shift or Trueshot Barrage. Either is fine. Only use Arcane Shift first if you know you wont need an escape out and if you want to finish them off with Trueshot Barrage. Only use your Trueshot Barrage first if you know you can hit a shot on them and bring your attack speed up from your passive. Hiding in a bush can surprise them and insure a direct hit. If you ulted first, use Arcane Shift to get closer. Remember to keep in mind that your CDR and Mystic Shot can bring your cooldowns down very quickly, so you can use Arcane Shift relatively quicker for escaping.
- 3. After you get close enough, hit em with your Essence Flux to do a little damage and reduce their attack speed.
- 4. Mystic Shot them and keep auto attacking and repeat.
- 5. If you havent Trueshot Barrage yet, use it last to kill escapeing enemies.
Start off with boots and pots or a doran's blade. Next you'll want to help your team guard the buffs, depending on where you are. When the minions spawn head over to your lane and farm. Harass when you can and kill them only if you know you can. Stay back if your having trouble and wait for ganks. Try not to push your lane, this can make you very susceptible to ganks and in some cases, lose you cs, but it can also make the other adc lose their cs because the tower will usually get them before they do. You are also welcomed to help your support buy wards, very simple task to do.
In conclusion, you mainly want to focus on farming, watching for ganks, ganking them, and taking out the turret when the time is right. You usually want to take out their turret when you feel like your done with farming and your teammates are taking out turrets. Be careful not to take out their turret to early, because it will end your laning phase and lose you lots of cs.
[work in progress]
Overall, i think ezreal is a great ad carry, and so rewading if you can hit those skill shots.
Ezreal is really fun to play and i recommend that you try him, and this build. Please be patient as i am in a hurry to finish these last chapters so i can get it out to the public. Remember its my first guide so be patient with me, hopefully i can get some good responses and votes and have people help me make this guide look nice. :)
Feel free to send in your own pics :) Instructions:
- 1. Go to your match history and take a screen shot by pressing Print Screen, the button that should be right next to your F12 key.
- 2. Go to paint and press Ctrl + V, that'll paste it.
- 3. Time to crop it. The image will already be selected for you. So, to make it easy, drag the image to the top left corner so that the part that you want is touching the edges where it cuts off. Go to the bottom left and grab the little white square and drag it to the edges of the image you want. Make sure your not re-sizing the image, but cutting off the sides to get your image you want. Make sure no white is showing.
- 4. Save it.
- 5. Go to tinypic.com and upload it so you can get the URL for the image.
- 6. Copy the text in the second box and paste it in the comments.(It will have IMG IMG around it)
7/29/12 - Made lots of small changes.
7/30/12 - Added Match History.
8/1/12 - Changed the mastery and skill section a little. Added BANANA chapter, with a vid.
8/5/12 - Made some minor changes. Swaped out the magic resist glyphs for mana regen per level. Also added some situation items.
8/27/12 - Added a couple of charts and updated the gameplay section.
8/28/12 - Lots of changes to make the guide more appealing.