Ezreal Build Guide by vaezilon
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
About the author:
Hello! I'm Vaezilon, I have been playing League of Legends since early 2010, I play League of Legends regularly, I watch alot of streams from high ranked players, and I have a good understanding of the game mechanics.
I haven't played enough ranked games to get a rating yet, as I wanted to get better at the game before I started playing ranked. When I play 5s premade, I usually play with 1200-1500 ELO players, so I imagine somewhere inbetween there would be my rating.
One of the first champions I bought was Ashe, so from the start I have always been playing as an AD carry. I bought Ezreal soon after his release and he has since then become one of my most played champions.
What will this guide cover?
In this guide i will be going through my choices of runes, masteries, skill sequence, items and try to explain everything as thoroughly as possible, please keep in mind that the way I play Ezreal is all about dominating lane early game.
Please do not downvote this guide without reading it through and leaving a comment about what it is that you dislike about it.
Pros & Cons
+ Strong early game.
+ Strong poke.
+ Attack speed buff.
+ High mobility.
+ Global ultimate.
- Slow base movement speed.
- Damage falls off late game.
- He has no CC.
- 3250 RP for Pulsefire skin.
4x Greater Mark of Desolation
5x Greater Mark of Attack Damage
As AD carry, you should have a mix of attack damage and armor penetration. Attack damage is for early game advantage, and helps you last hit. Armor penetration helps you all game through, and as enemies start building defensive items.
I take these to help me with last hitting, and getting some extra damage early on as Ezreal is strong early game.
9x Greater Seal of Armor
As an AD carry, you will in 99% of the games face another AD carry, get these for some extra armor, this will give you an advantage if you are trading blows with the enemy AD carry.
9x Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
As you will be facing an AD carry in the laning phase, magic resist isn't very important until mid to late game. Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist is more effective than Greater Glyph of Magic Resist at level 9 and after, and by the point you hit level 9-10 the laning phase should be coming to an end. (Unless both teams play very defensively.)
3x Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage
These quints will add even more to your early game damage, with these you will have a serious damage advantage over the enemy AD carry and last hitting should be a breeze.
- 4,75 Attack damage
- 6,64 Armor Penetration
- 12,69 Armor
- 1,35 Magic resist /level (24 Magic Resist at level 18)
- 6,75 Attack damage
- +5 Attack damage and ability power when Ignite is on cooldown
- +3 Attack damage
- +4% Attack speed
- 10% Armor penetration
- 0,5 Attack damage / level (9 at level 18)
- +10% Critical strike damage
- +3% Lifesteal
- +6 Armor Penetration
- +6% Damage dealt to targets below 40% health
- +2 Magic resist
- +6 Armor
- +6 Health / level (108 at level 18)
- +30 Health
All bonus stats
Total bonus at level 18
: This will make Ezreal really hard to catch or run away from, especially when used along with Arcane Shift.
: Great for securing kills, especially when used in combination with Trueshot Barrage.
Ghost: If you prefer to chase or outrun your enemies, swap Flash for this. However, since you have no CC, taking this spell can be pretty pointless.
Exhaust: Amazing spell, as it completely destroys the enemies damage output and prevents them from escaping, allowing you an easy kill. It can also be used defensively to escape from ganks and whatnot. However, this spell is better for your support.
Heal: Good for when you know you are going to face a tough lane. However, since the nerf, more and more AD carries have been taking Ignite so this might not be that useful.
Cleanse: Good for escaping ganks or to prevent yourself from dying if caught out of position. However, you should only pick this against very CC-heavy teams.
Ezreals built in steroid, without a blue buff you should only try to keep this up during teamfights, or you will just end up depleting your mana. Remember to stack this up when you are taking down a tower.
Depending on if this hits or misses, this is what makes or breaks any Ezreal player. It's great for harassing early game, especially when you get your Sheen as it will effectively double the AD ratio. But it falls off in late game, as it does not penetrate units like Sivirs Boomerang Blade or Graves Buckshot.
- This can be used to check brushes for enemies, as it makes a sound and stops short whenever it hits anything.
- Make sure to always hit SOMETHING with this, as when it hits an enemy unit all cooldowns are reduced by 1 second, even Mystic Shot itself. Using this when you farm can allow you to fire your ultimate every 30 seconds.
Good for poking when the enemy is hiding behind minions, however it costs alot of mana. Great for teamfights as it's basically a 40% attack speed buff for your entire team.
- In a teamfight, just shoot this onto your team and you should have a serious advantage.
- Remember this gives you a stack of your passive for every champion it hits, friendly or enemy. With a well aimed shot you can get full stacks on your passive instantly.
Ezreals built in damage dealing Flash. Keep in mind this has a longer range than flash, and with this you can pretty much jump over any wall on Summoner's Rift . As Ezreal has a low base movement speed, you shouldn't be using this offensively, which is why i max this last.
- You can use this to cancel out any of Blitzcrank Rocket Grabs, as casting this in the grab animation cancels it, allowing you to teleport away.
This ultimate is great for securing kills, when coupled with Ignite you can easily get fed. Just land a couple of Mystic Shots, Arcane Shift into Ignite and Trueshot Barrage to finish them off.
- Keep in mind that it deals less damage for every unit it hits. I can't even tell you how many times I have accidentaly sent this through a jungle camp only to see the enemy I was trying to snipe walk away with 10 hp.
Ezreal is an AD carry that relies on poke/harass to zone out the enemy or get kills in the laning phase. Maxing your Mystic Shot first allows you to do just that, since it has a high damage, low cooldown and a low mana cost.
The skill you should max second is Arcane Shift. This is because every rank, the cooldown is lowered by 2 seconds, damage is increased by 50, but the mana cost stays the same. This allows you to jump over more walls than ever!
The skill you should max last is Essence Flux. This spell is most useful in teamfights, as it can boost your entire teams attack speed. You could choose to max this before your Arcane Shift if you are good at positioning in teamfights and have good map control.
Obviously, you should pick a point in Trueshot Barrage whenever it's available, since the damage gets boosted by 150 every level you take, but the mana cost stays the same.
R > Q > E > W
- Get the Boots of Speed to be able to dodge skillshots and be able to outrun any ganks that may come your way. With Ezreals low base movement speed, if a gank comes your way, it's almost certain death.
- Get 3 Health Potions for some sustain to be able to stay in lane longer even if you take some harass.
- Get a Sheen to boost your Mystic Shot damage. As Mystic Shot applies on-hit effects, the extra damage from sheen is applied to it as well, it's also a nice boost to your auto attacks when using your other abilities.
- Next up is the Berserker's Greaves These with Rising Spell Force fully stacked should give you a great attack speed.
- I build Trinity Force because all of the stats that synergises with Ezreal in some way, and for these two effects:
- Slow the target by 35% for 2.5 seconds, good for when you don't have that red buff and are chasing or kiting someone.
- On cast, increases your base Attack Damage by 150% for one attack, with this boosts the damage on Mystic Shot even higher.
- Infinity Edge is a great item as most of Ezreals damage comes from Mystic Shot and auto attacks, this item boosts Ezreals damage by alot.
- Get Banshee's Veil if the enemy team has more AP carries than AD carries, or the AP carry is fed.
- Get Quicksilver Sash if the enemy team CCs you or uses Exhaust on you in every teamfight.
- Get Guardian Angel if you are having trouble surviving, or are facing a balanced team.
- Get Phantom Dancer if you are fed, or you just want more crits and attack speed.
- Get Last Whisper if the enemy team are stacking armor.
- Get The Bloodthirster if you want more damage and lifesteal.
- Get Maw of Malmortius if you need more protection against AP, or you are facing a Karthus.
- Get Madred's Bloodrazor if the enemy team is stacking health.
Playing as Ezreal
- How to help your jungler
- How to freeze lane
- How to last hit under tower
- How to ward, and where
- Buff timers
- Anything else I can come up with.
What to do:
- Early game
- Mid game
- Late game
26/10 2012: Published
27/10 2012: Fixing a few spelling mistakes and reformatted some parts.
Currently adding sections on how to play in early-mid-late game, and writing new motivations for the items section. I hadn't slept for 2 days when i published the guide, sorry about that.
Thank you for reading my guide of Ezreal, the Prodigal Explorer!
If there is anything you dislike about this guide, anything I should explain in further detail or if you spot any spelling errors, feel free to leave a comment to let me know.
JhoiJhoi for her guide on how to make a guide and her dividers.