Quinn Build Guide by Mathesle
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
The bot lane birdie
Core Items(Full damage)
For added tank
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Quinn and Valor
|Hi! My name is Mathesle, this is my first build(be gentle with me). Not much to say really apart from Quinn has to be my new favorite champion ever.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.
Pros / Cons
+ Amazing in lane harass
+ Extreamly OP passive
+ A blind and a slow/gap closer
+ A massive AoE Hawkshot like ability
+ Can turn into a flappin bird
Quinn excels at harassing a lot early game, while not reviving as much damage as other champions because of her blind.
- Very squishy
- E requires very good positioning
- Passive is quite flakey on who it targets
- The bird isnt permament :(
- greater quintessence of armor penetration: This is to add some well needed armor pen to my build.
- Greater Mark of Armor: Obviously so you don't take as much damage in lane.
- greater glyph of crit chance: Since this build is largely around crits, this is wonderful.
- Greater Seal of Health: More survivability.
Flash: All round great spell, though I would swap it out with Cleanse if I needed too.
Ignite: This is a must have. That extra true damage can mean the difference between winning and loosing an exchange. Also great for securing kills that try to run away.
Cleanse: This is a possibility, I personally would only ever take this over flash if I was up against a team with heavy CC.
Ability Sequence Order
|The reason why I max my Vault first is because in lane it is your main harass(discussed later).|
- Harrier: This. Passive. Is. Amazing. No joke. The amount of damage it deals is crazy. Especially since it can crit. Yes this means with Infinity Edge you get 250*(basic attack damage+ Harrier damage). The other team can see when you mark a minion or a champion with Harrier so be careful, it will mean that they know what you are going to be doing next(to a point) and can plan around it. The base damage that Harrier deals is 65 + 10 per champion level.
- Blinding Assault (Q): This Q is amazing to say the least. It deals a LOT of damage and blinds the targets, not only that you hit with the bird at the end of the skill shot, but also multiple others in a AoE radius. At this current point in time, I'm not sure what the AoE radius is(Sadly). This is amazing for an adc to have a blind with as much utility as this, it can completely shut down people, win 1v1's, and even save lives.
The reason why I don't use this ability for my poke is this: Most of the time, the other team will be behind minion waves. While this deals more damage(at the early levels, before you have your build up) I personally found it hard to poke with. So I mainly have it for the utility of the blind(and burst damage when I need it)
- Heightened Senses (W): Is this even aloud in the game? A massive reveal that shows monsters, minions and other champions in bushes and the fog of war. It has the same range as Hawkshot but instead of being in a line it is all around. Despite its massive cd of 50 seconds at level 1(which is what it stays at till late game) it can save your ***. Picture this: Mid has called MIA, you are attacking the turret on bot and you want to be able to fall back at the last possible second. So you position yourself so that the Heightened Senses will show the river and you hit it when you think they are there, more than likely it will show them or show them running into the are that you just revealed. You can fall back safely.
This ability also works wonders in lane as well, checking those lane bushes can save lives/take lives. Also great for checking dragon/baron/buffs before you enter/ward it.
Also a very understated ability of this is that when you detonate Harrier you gain 20/25/30/35/40% attack speed.
- Vault (E): This ability is what makes Quinn really good as an adc. A jump attack that deals damage to them and throws you back. It then marks the target that you used Vault on with Harrier making for a very pokey combo.
- Tag Team Tag Team (R):FBDHAKBFHFJDA THIS ULTIMATE. Ohmyholytits this is one of the most amazing ultimates out there. It turns you into a bird and changes your abilities. Q: Stays the same but instead is a melee range ability that blinds and damages everyone around you. W: The active stays the same but the passive changes into that you constantly have an increase of 40/50/60/70/80% attack speed. E: Stays the same but instead of getting thrown back you go to the target, the only gap closer on Quinn/Valor, it does not apply Harrier since that is removed when you turn into Valor. R: Turns into Skystrike. This is an amazing finisher and burst damage applier. It deals more damage the lower the enemy are.
For this I will only look at some weird choices on Quinn
|This item was made for Quinn(or was Quinn made for it? O.o). Attack speed and crit, bot amazing stats for Quinn. But the best part about it in my opinion is the shock. It adds free damage to your basic attacks. When you are as Valor in teamfights or just in lane this item will proc a hell of a lot, from the attack speed bonus off of Heightened Senses. In teamfights this item is doubly good, it deals magic damage to almost the entire enemy team.|
|I think this is pretty self explanatory. As you might have been able to tell with the item build I am stacking crit. This is to get those massive crits off Harrier. Also attack speed is lovely.|
|This item would replace Frozen Mallet or Warmog's Armor. The only time I would go last whisper, is if the other team is building armor to counter you, and you dont think you need the bonus health off of Frozen Mallet.|
|The only time I can see this being useful is if you're dying a lot in teamfights and you need that little bit extra survivability. Otherwise Frozen Mallet is still the best way to go.|
|The core of what you should be doing during laning phase is 1. Farming(obviously) 2. Harassing.
The way to harass with Quinn is to use your E Vault to apply Harrier then detonate it. If you can try and squeeze in a Q Blinding Assault, especially if you are going onto the enemy adc, this way you can blind them, shutting down any real damage they will deal. Knowing when to change into Valor to pick up the kills mainly comes from experience. You need to pay attention to how much hp you're on, your surroundings, your mana and their hp. Do remember that you change into melee while as Valor. When you do think it is time to go in for the kill combo, change into Valor and use Vault. This will place you on their front doorstep and within melee range. Start the AA on them, with the massive attack speed boost off of Heightened Senses you will deal crazy damage. Follow up the Vault with a Blinding Assault. This is for 2 reasons, 1. It deals massive damage 2. It will blind them, and on the off chance that they think they can take you, it will stop majority of the damage they will deal(unless they are a caster obviously). Once they get within the kill range of Skystrike do not be afraid to use it. It is there for a reason, it is an execute.
|In teamfights, your job is to deal the most amount of damage possible within the smallest amount of time. Most of the time you will need to focus the enemy adc down first but in some cases your team might need you to focus down someone else. Whoever you are focusing first, you want to kill fast. So quite like the laning combo, you open with a Vault into a Blinding Assault while AA-ing the whole time. Next step is to use tag team to change into Valor. Again, use Vault onto your target and then use Blinding Assault again. The attack speed increase from Heightened Senses will mean that you will drop people as Valor really fast, so change from person to person shredding them. Lastly, when to use sky strike. This is what you want to use to either end teamfights, get double/tripple/quadra/penta kills or deal that last little bit of damage to the retreating pesky adc to secure the kill. When using Skystrike you want to make sure you are hitting as many people with it as you can, to maximize your damage output. When retreating from a failed teamfight, stay as Valor since it gives you a massive speed boost, only change back to Quinn if you need to W Heightened Senses into a E Vault onto some neutral creeps or if you run out of time on Valor.|
Support Synergy and Counters
|In this section I will go into detail about support syngery and counters. It will be small at the moment since I have a tiny sample size to go with but as I play more and more games I will add more and more to this.
As a general rule with Quinn and her synergies for supports, any support who has a disable that lets you get that Harrier detonation off should work well. e.g Janna will work well whereas Sona not so much.
Janna: She is an amazing synergy with Quinn. This is because she has a lot of CC and a shield that is amazing when you go into poke with your Vault. In addition to this her ultimate is amazing for making plays which can easily make you dominate your lane.
Zyra: Works surprisingly well with Quinn. But only if you have constant bush control, this is so the Zyra can get off her snare for you to lay into them without serious repercussions.
Thresh: He works really well with Quinn, but only if the Thresh can get his pulls off. When he has pulled them the disable lasts for quite a while letting you get your entire combos off and just lay into them. Not only does it stun them but it will drag them out of position so even after the stun wears off you can keep hitting them. Not to mention the knockback/slow that he has and that ultimate, amazing for shutting them down and giving you time to lay into them. Having good bush control will make it much easier for Thresh to land his pulls, but it is not needed as much as with Zyra.
Lulu: She works quite well with Quinn, and doesn't even need much bush control. You can both poke them down a lot, and the damage shield works wonders when you go in for that Vault poke, absorb the damage that you will take from putting yourself out there. The slows are great because you can chain it into a slow off of Vault and keep hitting for the kill.
Lux: Lux. Is. Brilliant. She has a shield to absorb the damage for when you do your Vault to mark them with Harrier. A root to make sure they are not going anywhere, a slow for when they are going somewhere and has a high amount of burst damage to help you get that kill(as long as they dont take the kill that is).
Neither here nor there as a support
Soraka: Her silence is a sort of shutdown, and when combined with your blind the other target cant do anything apart from run. Her heals are nice, but honestly a support with a root/stun would be much better.
Taric: He isnt the best with Quinn. You would think he is because of the stun, but compared to a support like Lulu or Janna who both have a damage shield and a stun/knockup/slow he is only a secondary choice. I would only go with a Taric if I really had to.
Easy to lane against
Vayne You can and will tear her to shreds.
Meh - (People that are at a moderate difficulty to play against)
Ashe: Her volley does suck, since you're very squishy early game it hurts. A lot. But apart from that she doesn't really have much else that will annoy you apart from her ultimate. Enchanted Crystal Arrow is just annoying all round.
Quinn: Believe it or not, this way to play Quinn should completely dominate a usual adc Quinn. Should. You could just suck.
Ezreal: Man, this guy is annoying, if he knows what he is doing that is. If the Ezreal is good then you are going to have a hard time. But otherwise it should be a relatively easy lane to win.
Caitlyn: She massively out ranges you and can out harass you when you go in for the poke on your Vault.
Teemo: This SoB is the bane of your existence. His blind will make sure that you miss that detonation on the Harrier and will mean that they will get damage off onto you without you dealing damage to them. Also when a lot of the supports that Quinn synergises well with require heavy bush control, those mushrooms can really screw you over.
|All in all, Quinn is a really fun champion, with that added bonus of having Valor as well for the ride. She is a lot of fun to play with a really high damage output, and relies heavily on positioning. Her skill set is like none other, it can do a lot of things other champions couldn't even dream of doing. Thanks for reading!
Thanks to Celestei for helping me with support synergies
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.