Build Guide by Khal
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
We recommend you take a look at this author's other builds.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Galio is described as a "mage tank" as you stack Magic resist, but lets get one thing straight right out the gate. You are NOT a melee tank without building for it. During the course of this guide, I will set down the core items and the team dependent items that will differentiate those two types of tanking. When stacking Magic Resist / AP, you will devour carries and softer Champions, but be vulnerable to the likes of Garen, Tryndamere, Master Yi, etc. When stacking Magic Resist / Armor / AP, you will be much more durable to the aforementioned champions, but sacrifice in your Devouring of Softer champions to a more modest level. As always, your team composition and opponents team will determine which build path you should take.
(Passive)Runic Skin - Converts 50% of your Magic Resist into Ability Power. Pretty obvious what this means for our upcoming itemization, right?
(Q)Resolute Smite - Galio fires a concussive blast from his eyes, dealing 60 / 115 / 170 / 225 / 280 (+60% of ability power) magic damage to enemies near the impact location, and reducing their movement speed by 24 / 28 / 32 / 36 / 40% for 2.5 seconds. Cost 60 / 65 / 70 / 75 / 80 mana. Range 900
Your early game harassing spell, and late game primary initiater and finisher. Range AE Snare. As it's 60% of AP, it's not your main nuke late game
(W)Bulwark- Galio shields a friendly champion for 4 seconds, increasing their Armor and Magic Resistance by 30 / 45 / 60 / 75 / 90. Each time the unit suffers damage, Galio is healed for 20 / 32 / 44 / 56 / 68 (+30% of ability power) (-20% healing for each consecutive hit). Cost 60 mana. Range 800
Castable on any Champion on your team, including yourself. Helps save the initiator of Group fights, and a slight heal for yourself. My primary use for this spell is casting it on myself before using the Ultimate, or early game assisting a carry in your lane being harassed. As it only increases your defensive stats on the target, it by no means will guarantee they live.
(E)Righteous Gust- Galio unleashes a gust of concussive wind that deals 70 / 115 / 160 / 205 / 250 (+80% of ability power) magic damage to all enemies in its path. A directional draft remains for 5 seconds, increasing the movement speed of allies passing through it by 20 / 24 / 28 / 32 / 36%. Cost 70 / 75 / 80 / 85 / 90 mana. Range 10000 (mobafire has 10000 as range, but it's basically the size of you to the edge of your visible screen.
This is the really devastating nuke, as it uses 80% of your Ability Power. There are a lot of uses for this, such as getting to a tower faster, helping you (and friends) move away faster, shooting through terrain and walls for Last hitting Champions, etc. However, the real punch of this spell is when you combine it with your Q ability. Click Q, Left click the area of your enemies. Then immediately follow it with E + Left click. After you get your first few Magic Resist / AP items (L10-12ish), you can start doing some very high burst damage on a champion. Practice timing this, and be amazed at how low you get a non-Tank. Forcing them to recall or risk a gank allows you to push lanes.
(R)Idol of Durand-Galio channels for 2.5 seconds, taunting nearby foes and blocking 30% of incoming damage. After channeling, Galio deals 220 / 330 / 440 (+85% of ability power) magic damage to surrounding enemies, plus an additional 10% damage for each attack he suffered while channeling. Max 80% bonus damage. Cost 100 / 145 / 190 mana. Range 520
Yeap. Area of effect Taunt. I want you to think about that for a moment....As this has a somewhat small range (smaller than Fiddlesticks Ultimate for instance), it takes practice to get more than 2 people unless you are Defending a tower. However, imagine Garen, Tryndamere and Master Yi all Meleeing you at the same time. This ability can very easily get you killed! So casting your W ability on yourself (increases armor and magic resist) is just about mandatory for melee champions. If you are getting a couple of Caster types (Morgana, Anivia, Vlad etc), it's not really needed.
Two notes for you about using this ability. 1) You can move at any time after casting the spell, and it will explode like normal. 2) If you get stunned, feared, etc while channeling, you will do 0 Damage.
Disclaimers aside, you're going to dish out a lot of damage to whomever this hits, so be ready to finish them off with Q and E (or soften the target up before using Ultimate).
I use a standard 9/21/0 build. However, you do not want Dodge as it will weaken your Ultimate's bonus percentage! Feel free to adjust based on your summoner spells if you wish, but getting the bonus for Ignite or Ghost will make you lose either Archaic Knowledge or Tenacity, which I would not recommend.
Based on how aggressive you want to be in your lane, I recommend the following.
Exhaust - Based on how you build items, your armor might be low for tanking the Master Yi's of the world. The 100% blind and slow are very usefull
Ghost - As a slower moving champion (310 base), ghost allows you to return to your lane, chase an enemy, or run away as the situation warrants. Very versatile spell.
Clarity - If you skip the fixed Mana / 5 Glyphs, or if you want to harass aggressively in your lane, or both, then Clarity becomes a must. I'd skip Ghost for clarity.
Heal - Never a horrible choice, especially if you are playing Solo. I'd drop Exhaust for Heal.
Flash, Fortify, Rally, Revive (lol), Teleport, etc are all weak choices, but could be situationaly useful if you are running a pre-made team
Marks - Magic Pen
Seals - Flat HP
Glyphs - Flat Mana / 5, or flat Magic Resist if you take Clarity
Quints - Flat Health, flat AP, or Flat MP/5 aren't bad choices
Knowing which item build to use
So you've made all your choices before playing, and you're sitting at the Loading screen. Bored? You shouldn't be! Now is one of the most critical times for you, as you need to decide how to build Galio for your SPECIFIC game. Here are some of the things I am thinking about at that time.
1) Does your team have an Actual tank? or Defensively building melee DPS? Shen / Rammus ideally, but Amumu, Gragas, Xin, Garren at least? If Yes, Build 1. If no, Build 2. For group fights, you MUST have someone who can initiate fights, and Build 1 will get slaughtered in that role ^.~
2) How non-carry melee heavy / light is the opposing team? Melee Light, Build 1. Melee Heavy (4 or 5 champions like Xin, Garren, Shen, Yi, Rammus etc), Build 2. Something in between? Make a hybrid item build, but lean towards Magic Resist (build 1)
Item Build 1(Magic Resist / AP)
(Note: I'll make this look prettier in an upcoming edit)
1) Grab a Meki Pendant (7 MP/5) and 2 Health Potions to start the Game. Come back after you get 500/850 gold depending on how your lane is doing
2) Upgrade Meki Pendant to Chalice of Harmony (500 gold)
3) Buy Boots of Speed (350 gold)
4) Build Abyssal Scepter (2650 gold), Magic Resist item before AP item if you are buying separate.
5) Upgrade Boots of Speed to Mercury's Treads (850 gold). Note, if you are dying in your lane, getting Boots before Abyssal is a good decision!
6) Build Force of Nature (High Magic resist, the secondary effects aren't super important (hp regen is nice during laning of course, but the build order puts this in Mid game)
7) Build Guardian Angel (armor to help tank those pesky melee Champions during your ultimate, and no one ever complained about not dying. If I'm not dying much, I'll push this item until level 18 group fights.
8) Build Spirit Visage for more Magic Resist and Cooldown reduction
9) Sell Chalice of Harmony or Boots to build Zhonya's Ring (Based on the game and how much damage I take during my Ultimate, I build this item first instead of Spirit Visage when I am taking a lot of damage to give you 2 seconds of immunity after your Ultimate. The AP is disgustingly good, so if you are fighting a bunch of Ranged Champions, this makes your Q+E combo nasty)
Item Build 2(Magic Resist / Armor / Health / AP)
(Note: I'll make this look prettier in an upcoming edit)
Coming Soon, however, I will quickly say items like Frozen Heart, Randuin's Omen (faster hitters), and Thornmail (big hitters) are used based on the types of melee you are fighting.