Gangplank Build Guide by toka29
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hi guys, this is my second build on MobaFire my first build on MobaFire is Kog'Maw.
If you like this guide please check out my first guide: Kog'Maw - I spit on every thing! by toka29
Gankplank is a fun champion, early game you are just clicking Q and watch your enemy take **** lots of damage because you Q Parrrley. Late game you will just rape people because of you life steal and you damage.
The good thing is that his ultimate Cannon Barrage is clobal and can easily get assist or even take the kill when a enemy is excaping.
If you have any advice for me feel free to leave a message I will read it and maybe answer you (if it's posetive) nahh just joking i will read it all. If this guide helped you please vote it +1 or -1. If -1 please tell me in a comment what's wrong with my guide and how I can inprove this guide. Also give me +rep
Story about Gankplank
Gangplank was born the son of the dread pirate captain Vincent the Shadow - one of the most wealthy and feared pirates in all of Blue Flame Island. One might think this would have spoiled the boy with a cushioned life of privilege, but the truth is quite the opposite. Growing up in the city of Bilgewater isn't easy; pirates are not known for their compassion, and that most certainly extends to their families. Vincent wanted his son to grow up tough and strong, so he was extremely hard on the young Gangplank. Even as a child, Gangplank was as mean as a snake and is said to have slept with his eyes open. As he grew, the young man rapidly became the most ruthless and feared pirate in all of Bilgewater, and his daddy was never more proud than on the day of his son's eighteenth birthday - when Gangplank stabbed his old man in the back and claimed the famed pirate ship, the Dead Pool, for his own.
The continent of Valoran, however, is a dangerous place for pirates; Gangplank could read the writing on the wall. The den of pirates known as Bilgewater would soon be pulled down by the undertow of Valoranian politics and the Institute of War. It was time for Bilgewater to have their own champion to represent them in the League of Legends, and who better than the fiercest pirate of them all? It is said that Gangplank has enough power and favor to claim the title of the Pirate King back home, but that he is simply biding his time and building his reputation as a champion before he returns to a life of piracy.
"Yo ho, blow the man down. Or at least shoot him when his back is turned and steal all his booty."
(Passive): Gangplank's basic attacks apply a poison debuff for 3 seconds that can stack up to 3 times. Each stack deals (3 + level) magic damage per second and slows the target by 7%.
(Q): (Active): [[Gangplank[[ takes aim and shoots an enemy with his pistol, dealing damage. If it kills it, he gains extra Gold. This ability can critically strike and applies on-hit effects.
- Cost: 40 / 45 / 50 / 55 / 60 mana
- Physical Damage: 20 / 45 / 70 / 95 / 120 (+1.0 per attack damage)
- Extra Gold: 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8
(W): (Active): Gangplank consumes a large quantity of citrus fruit, which removes all crowd control effects on him and heals him.
- Cooldown: 22 / 21 / 20 / 19 / 18 seconds
- Heal: 80 / 150 / 220 / 290 / 360 (+1.0 per ability power)
(E): (Passive): Gangplank's Attack Damage and Movement Speed are increased.
(Active): Gangplank fires into the air, disabling his passive boost but inspiring himself to gain Attack Damage and Movement Speed, with nearby allied champions receiving half that amount, for 6 seconds.
- Cost: 50 / 55 / 60 / 65 / 70 mana
- Passive Attack Damage Bonus: 8 / 10 / 12 / 14 / 16
- Passive Movement Speed Bonus: 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7%
- Active Attack Damage Bonus: 12 / 19 / 26 / 33 / 40
- Active Movement Speed Bonus: 8 / 11 / 14 / 17 / 20%
(R): (Active): Gangplank signals his ship to fire upon target area for 7 seconds. Each cannonball deals damage. Enemies caught in the area of this ability are slowed for 1.25 seconds, duration refreshing if one stays in the area.
- Magic Damage: 65 / 110 / 155 (+0.2 per ability power)
- Cooldown: 120 / 115 / 110
- Slow: 25%
- Range: Global
- Area of Effect: 575 (estimate)
- Cannonball Area of Effect: 275
- Cannonballs: 25
I max out my Q Parrrley because it's your main damage and its a super effective harrash because it can deal so crazy damage early, mid and late and the good thing is that it can crit.
Then I max out my W Remove Scurvy because it's a ability that can heal you and remove all de-buffs.
Then I max ultimate Cannon Barrage and then my E Raise Morale
Greater Mark of Lethality
Greater Seal of Critical Damage
Greater Glyph of Critical Damage
Greater Quintessence of Health
- Greater Mark of Desolation is armor penetration and you need armor penetration because you are Ad and most tanks will build armor to counter all Ad on your team and armor penetration counter armor.
- Greater Seal of Critical Damage You need crit when you are playing Gangplank and these runes are crit damage so when you crit you do more damage.
- Greater Glyph of Critical Damage is the same as the seal runes.
- Greater Quintessence of Health my build to [[gangplank is quite squishy and then i take health runes so i can get some more life.
I take 29 in offense and 0 in defense and 9 in utility. I'm focused on dealing damage rather than thinking of something else like my mana, if i want mana i just take blue buff and then it's finished. I also got the item Manamune which gives me some mana regenaration.
- Gangplank is an excellent fighter in 1v1 situations due to his high single target damage output and CC removal. Always look for players out of position.
- Do not underestimate Parrrley's gold bonus when used for farming instead of harassment in early game.
- Remove Scurvy can allow him to stay in the lane for an extended period of time.
- Remove Scurvy will cancel suppressions like Nether Grasp or Infinite Duress, though Malzahar's Nether Grasp still does damage after the suppression is cancelled.
- Raise Morale can be used defensively and offensively, to be able to move fast for both, and have extra damage for the latter.
- Gangplank's spells have considerable animation times. Take this into account when you plan on using Raise Morale or Remove Scurvy to escape a pursuer.
- Use Raise Morale when pushing a tower. This can quickly give you and your allies the boost you need to take down buildings, effectively allowing you and your team to rush towers and your enemies not having enough time to defend it.
- Cannon Barrage can be used across the map. You can help out in ganks/teamfights elsewhere, by assisting with the damage and massive AoE slow.
- Paying attention to low health enemies on the map can land you a surprise kill with Cannon Barrage.
- Try placing Cannon Barrage in the path of fleeing enemies to cut them off.
- Cannon Barrage can save a turret surrounded by minions, with some luck.
- Working as a team with other AoE abilities synergizes with your ultimate Cannon Barrage, such as Nunu's Absolute Zero, Rumble's The Equalizer, Miss Fortune's Bullet Time, Galio's Idol of Durand, or Ziggs's Mega Inferno Bomb.
- Cannon Barrage is also effective in conjunction with Cataclysm. Even if the enemy manages to dash/ Flash out of Cataclysm, they might still be hit by Cannon Barrage.
- Parrrley applies on hit effects like Frozen Mallet, The Black Cleaver or Sheen. It also applies Grog Soaked Blade.
- Because Parrrley benefits from critical strikes, critical strike chance and damage items are very strong. Avarice Blade, Zeal, and Infinity Edge will help maximize your damage output. Elixir of Agility would also be a good purchase.
- Trinity Force can also be a good purchase, since Trinity Force applies extra damage, a chance to slow an enemy, 15% critical strike chance and 12% movement speed.
- Alternatively a Frozen Mallet and Phantom Dancer would provide better results, but at a higher cost.
- Pure crit builds leave Gangplank fairly squishy. Though there is potential for high DPS, the heavy cost of low survivability including Gangplank's considerably low base armor and magic resistance makes it less than viable.
- 'Tankplank' builds are very effective, offering survivability and a chance for Gangplank to fully utilise his skillset and increase his DPS as he builds towards an Infinity Edge.
- Atma's Impaler along with Warmog's Armor are very effective for a tanky-DPS Gangplank. It's also effective on every champion except supports,assassins and casters apparently.
- Gangplank is effective at jungling, starting with a Vampiric Scepter, though some runes are required to complete it.
- Crest of the Ancient Golem and Blessing of the Lizard Elder synergize with Gangplank's low cooldown spells and the added utility of stacking DoT/slow with Grog Soaked Blade and Blessing of the Lizard Elder , respectively.
- Laning against Gangplank can be a bit frustrating. Parrrley has a fairly short cooldown and deals a lot of damage at early if it crits. Starting with Cloth Armor and 5 Health Potion's will give you a lot of sustain and damage reduction to deal with this.
- Gangplank's Remove Scurvy is very annoying to the casters that rely on crowd control to utilize their full combo. Save your hard crowd control until after he uses Remove Scurvy.
- Although his early harassment is strong, Gangplank is fairly squishy in laning phase. Putting an aggressive pressure on his lane will weaken his strong mid/late game.
- Cannon Barrage has a huge AoE and global range. Quickly avoid the AoE if he uses it when you are escaping. Be aware of its potential to appear at any time/location.
- Countering Gangplank requires starving him of his farm, get an early advantage by pushing him out of the lane, and forcing him to play with more risk than he would usually like. Teams should also consider prioritizing him as a target for ganks and in team fights depending on his build and his allies.
Now it's the end of this build and i would like to say thank you for thoses who read this guide and found it usefull and for those who voted.
Gangplank is a very fun champion to play because you are just wtaching your enemy losing so much HP by your Q Parrrley and i think it's fun to see the crit damage. Overall Gangplank is a easy champion to play and can easily get another champion low or get assist.