Lucian Build Guide by javierdsv
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
The Usual Everything
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
The not so long Guide
I've seen pretty good, long, and extensive guides. This is not one of those, this guide will be based on the build, runes, masteries and will show off the most important topics. This guide is NOT oriented to new LoL players.
So, what do you need to know before you start using Lucian?
1. Lucian tends to fall down late game unless very well fed. (The runes and items of this guide helps him to overcome that)
2. He needs to be tuned, he is a great champ and very fun to play though...
3. He is insanely Item Dependant, if you don't play safe early game, and you start dying even a little early game, you will render yourself useless.
4. Lux is not a good support for him. (Even if they prove me wrong!)
So let's get a little over his skills
(The spells are explained if you hover them with your mouse... in case you didn't know)
This will grant him another attack, not doing full damage but applying on-hit effects and it CAN also be a critical hit. This is his entire source of damage, combined with all his other not ultimate spells, you will be doing a lot of damage.
Q: Piercing Light
This is how you poke, if you have ever played Lissandra, you'll know you need to constantly target minions with Q so you can use them to increase your spell range; but this one is harder to use.
The skill locks itself while being fired in a straight line and it will NOT follow your target. The good part is that it will fire really, really fast, so it's hard to dodge. You will need a lot of practice to master this spell, but you will find yourself doing a lot of damage if you can land it constantly and autoattacking + passive each time after using it.
W: Ardent Blaze
It will be primarly used to help clearing out minion waves and following enemies that are trying to run away, it doesn't really work to run away yourself. The explosion area is very small, so you need to aim it as best as possible each time.
For this build you will want to max it second just after Piercing Light. This because you will need a little extra damage until you finish building your core items.
E: Relentless Pursuit
Unless you really know what you are doing, this spell MUST be saved to run away. It's an incredibly useful initiator too, but you won't have Flash for this build (and you won't need it), so use it wisely. This will let you jump over some short walls too, so this is your mobility spell.
R (Ultimate): The Culling
His ultimate will not be really useful against tanks unless you already have your 3 core items, so you must place yourself very well if you want it to do some good damage. It's insanely good to clear minion waves, but it has a long cooldown on the earlier ranks. You can move while firing it, and you can cancel it by using it again.
How do I initiate or use my spells?
1. You will always try NOT to initiate with E, unless you are ganking.
2. You can intiate with W to get a speed bost, and try to use Q as much as you can. His utlimate is not good to initiate, unless the fight already started.
3. Your Ultimate must be used vertically (on lane) or horizontally (river), like.. always, unless you are being followed as you can walk backwards while firing it. If you use it diagonally you are likely to fail a lot of shots.
3. You will NEVER, and I repeat, NEVER use two or more spells on a target before atacking it. It would be more like...
W, attack, Q, attack, Q, attack, E, attack, Q, attack, Ultimate.
Why? His passive is his source of damage, you must make use of it as much as you can and each time you have the chance. This will be demanding you to be agressive, so wait for mid game to start being madness agressive against them.
4. His W has a "Casting Time Animation" so it will make you stop for half a second after using it, so don't use it if you need to do damage over making use of the speed boost. Also, his W will not work to run away, if they are over you and you try to use it to boost yourself on the way out, they will reach you faster, try to avoid this.
5. Last but not least, some might be worndering why are we maxing out W over E? This is because the Cooldown for E is long enough even if you try to max it out first, and the damage from W, even as little as it is right now, will come handy. Also, the fact that E should be used as a preventive, or catching up spell. Only.
The Item Order is essential.
1. The Brutalizer will grant him enough cooldown reduction to be effective on spontaneous early game fights.
2. The Black Cleaver will make his ultimate useful for once, and his passive will be really powerful.
3. Blade of the Ruined King will be his second item after The Black Cleaver to give him the attack speed he needs to enhance his ultimate, and the really needed lifesteal for the super Squishy Lucian.
4. Last Whisper Combined with The Black Cleaver and Blade of the Ruined King, will allow Lucian to kill a non-tank champion by just using his ultimate. (If you land all shots).
5. After this, if you are doing good, you can go for The Bloodthirster, if you are dying a lot you can build Trinity Force. Or if you are feeling lucky Infinity Edge.
Runes and Masteries
Runes are planned to grant him a little bit of everything he lacks of.
1. Seal of Attack Speed, so he gets a better ulti and attack faster.
2. Mark of Scaling Attack Damage, Lucian is falling late game, so these runes will help him to overcome that issue.
3. Glyph of Scaling Mana Regeneration, Lucian is really mana hungry, but 9 runes of Mana Regen won't be really useful, so try to manage your spells the best way you can. Late game this will not be an issue.
4. Glyph of Critical Damage & Glyph of Critical Chance will be a little aid as this build will not ask for Infinity Edge as a required item. I agree that 0.28% Crit change is way too low to spend points or runes on it, but anything is better than 0.
Masteries are oriented on full damage, plus a little of mana regen. These are important points:
- Butcher , will help him to last hit early game, with the casting animation issues Lucian is suffering, sometimes this will be handy.
- Durability , Lucian is terribly squishy, and you will always want to stay back and attack from behind.
- Meditation , along with Glyph of Scaling Mana Regeneration will help him with the insane mana issues Lucian got.