Gragas Build Guide by Huntedstorm
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
It looks like it's time to roll out the barrel, let's get this party started!
Welcome to my guide to our friendly neighborhood Drunk, Gragas
I hope you enjoy my guide to Gragas, please remember to rate and comment If I've helped you, this is my 1st guide so please be nice, I've put about 20 hours into this guide so far and hope you appreciate the work I've put into this :)
I would like to thank JhoiJhoi for guide making tips, I rewrote them all myself, however.
4 Sorcery cool down reduction, making masteries including Intelligence giving 10% by default
1 Arcane Knowledge magic pen, this is a very good mastery
1 Summoner's Insight reduced CD on flash is very helpful.
3 Good Hands a good mastery for when the death timers get insane at the end of the game
3 Expanded Mind more base mana, also to make up points
1 Improved Recall mainly to make up points, but a small increase of time on recall is helpful
3 Meditation mana regen is very helpful, great for the laning phase.
1 Runic Affinity You should be seeing if you can have blue buff from your jungler at every chance you can. This will make the buffs last longer.
4 Awareness extra XP definitely adds up, this will mean you can out level enemies in your lane
1 Perseverance making up points and giving extra regen
3 Intelligence extra CDR this and Sorcery brings us to 10%
1 Mastermind To finish your utility tree off.
Gragas' skills and how to use them
Happy Hour (passive) Gragas takes a drink from his cask every time he uses an ability, restoring 2% of his maximum health over 4 second
- Happy Hour(passive) Gives Gragas amazing lane sustain
- 2% might not sound like much! However it does really add up!
- Timing your abilities to be used once every 4 seconds can allow you to make the most out of this ability
Barrel Roll (Q) Gragas rolls his cask to a target location, which can be activated again to explode after arriving or will explode on its own after 5 seconds, dealing 85 / 135 / 185 / 235 / 285 (+90% of ability power) damage and slowing the attack speed of enemies struck by 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40 % for 3 seconds.
- Barrel Roll is your primary ability, use it to farm, harass and is your primary damage dealing ability
- When aiming Barrel Roll try and put yourself in the mindset of where your enemy's will run when you roll a barrel at them, usually aiming slightly behind them will help you hit, it is AoE, so there is a little room for error.
- Remeber to detonate it when it reaches it's location if you are harassing, if not you can delay the detonation until you need it, it will detonate by itself after it 5 seconds.
Drunken Rage (W) Gragas guzzles down brew from his cask, channeling for 1 second. He gains 30 / 45 / 60 / 75 / 90
mana while channeling, and becomes empowered after finishing, increasing his attack
damage by 30 / 40 / 50 / 60 / 70, and reducing damage taken by 10 / 12 / 14 / 16 / 18% for 20 seconds.
- Any good Gragas will know to keep this buff up as much as possible
- The damage reduction makes you rather tanky
- Drunken Rage also helps you in your laning by keeping your mana up even more, this + regen and your passive you can lane for a very long time
Body Slam (E) Gragas charges forward with a charge speed of 650 / 750 / 850 / 950 / 1050, colliding with the first enemy unit he hits and dealing 80 / 120 / 160 / 200 / 240 (+50% of ability power) (plus 0.66 per attack damage) to enemies in the area. Damage is split amongst targets hit, minimum 50 / 75 / 100 / 125 / 150 damage. Units hit by Body Slam are slowed by 35% for 2.5 seconds.
- In lower Body Slam levels you may have to aim a little ahead of your enemy if say your approaching from the side aim a little ahead, the charge speed increases with the rank of it
- Body Slam can be used as a flash, but on much shorter cool down! You can pass through small walls, close distances, escape it's utility is just amazing, and it uses very little mana
- Body Slam's slow can be used to line up other abilities.
- Be careful with Body Slam in team fights, try not to charge into them, you will be destroyed should you charge into a group of enemy's
Explosive cask (R) Gragas throws his cask to a location, which explodes on impact, dealing 200 / 325 / 450 (+100% of ability power) magic damage to all units struck, knocking them back.
- Use Explosive Cask can be used to do damage, push people into turrets, your team, or away from your team.
- Explosive Cask and Body Slam make you a very difficult target to gank
- use Explosive Cask and Barrel Roll to try and steel Baron Nashor should the enemy team go for it, the burst these two do is insane, I've personally done this a few times.
- Explosive Cask is what makes Gragas such a great initiator, landing this in the center of their team, say pushing their carry towards your team, then pushing their team back, they'll probably turn around and fight back, their carry will need some serious luck getting out of your team, alive.
Explosive Cask Our ultimate ability, same with most, if not all champions you'll want to level this when you can.
Barrel Roll We want to level this 1st, to increase our ability to farm and damage in the early game, Leveling when available.
Drunken Rage The higher level we have this the better, more points into this ability to increase our sustain even more.
Body Slam Is mainly a utility move, I grab 1 point in it early for that reason, giving you the utility and slow early on, and maxing it last.
This skill order is pretty standard, and can easily change dependent on the game, just use your best judgement if you need a change in the order.
The 1st item pick is one of the vital ones, I'd say one of these three options would do you best, and of course getting Health Potions when you have left over money.
- Doran's Ring This item is great to start off with, giving you sustain, making you a little bit more bulky in the early game, the ability power does a little bit in the early game, although not really enough to notice, I'll usually grab this at the start.
- Meki Pendantgood for early mana regen, and you could grab an early Fiendish Codex for some early cooldown reduction giving you 20% (masteries included) This is not the best, however still a very viable choice
- Sapphire CrystalThis item will Make your [catalyst the protector] a fair amount sooner, extra mana early on is also very nice
These are the items you want to aim for as soon as you can grabbing the kage's lucky pick first for the early Gp5 of it, the Doran's Ring and Boots of Speed after, usually that can be done in one trip, however it usually takes another to get your catalyst the protector.
- kage's lucky pick Gold per 5 and some early ability power, this item shall also build into a death fire grasp later on in the build.
- Doran's Ring(again) I prefer getting 2 of these at the start of the build, however if your not a fan of doran's items you could just skip it and begin your catalyst the protector slightly sooner.
- Boots of Speed All characters need movement speed, Gragas is no exception. You'll enjoy the extra speed these give you in the early game and will find you're a lot more mobile.
- catalyst the protector Gives you that sought after sustain power that Gragas enjoys a lot, plenty more and definitely part of your build, this will build into the Rod of Ages later.
Ability Power: 40
This is the most expensive section, however you make some great progress in this section, finishing up our Rod of Ages and Mercury's Treads, beginning on our [rabadon's deathcap]] and almost finishing up our Deathfire Grasp
- Rod of Ages Finally a good solid item, everything Gragas is thirsty for, Health, Mana and Ability power we get this 1st so it will begin build into better item sooner, getting extra stats slowly, continues to give us regeneration aswell, I love this item for Gragas.
- Mercury's treads Movement speed, Tenacity and a little magic resist to season, Mercury's. Treads are great boots, although if your not a fan of this, check outthe alternate items section.
- Needlessly Large Rod Chicks dig' the needlessly large rod and Gragas knows this, good solid ability power and a nice big chunk of the Rabadon's Deathcap.
- Fiendish Codex Cooldown reduction, bringing us up to 20%, although you could grab it sooner if you so choose to. The mana regeneration also helps should you still be laning at this phase
Ability Power: 190
Mana regen: 7 MP5
This is were you get very deadly, picking up the Rabadon's Deathcap makes your burst do a lot more damage, the Deathfire Grasp gives Ability power, Cooldown reduction, and a very powerfull active
Ability Power: 200 + 30% of total
Mana regen: 10 MP5
Cooldown reduction: 15%
These items are the ones you could use to finsih up you build, after completing your core. These items are only the ones I've trialed in games, I'm sure there are other items you could use that will also be effective.
- Rylai's Crystal Scepter more of that tasty ability power, some health and a very nice slow, you will only get 15% however, due to the fact that all of Gragas' abilities are AoE
- Thornmail A great, if not the best counter to AD heavy teams, return some damage and 100 armor, best armor granting item in the game
- Banshee's Veil A great anti-spell item, the spell shield seems to be up when you need it.
- Zhonya's Hourglass The active on this is powerful, you could probably troll with it as well, Karthus will hate you
- Will of the Ancients more ability power and spell vamp, reduced due to AoE however it will still be rather effective
- Quicksilver Sash For those who use it, it's like a free Cleanse, good for remove crowd control and DoTs
- I find Gragas should be played rather Passively, he can push lanes like a boss as a result, you'll find the lane pushed to far, missing out on last hits.
- With this idea you still need to focus on last hitting, it's very major
- one Barrel Roll into Body Slam combo after about level 7-8 on the caster minions will award you all 3 last hits.
- always ward the river, this is assuming your in top lane.
- Your Drunken Rage makes you hit hard! Use this to last hit with melee easier
- always be ready to escape should a gank come along.
This is the early part of laning, you shouldn't have to recall during this time
- Focus on last hitting in this time more so than ever, with the current power you posses it can be difficult to last hit.
- Do some light harassment, but only trade blows if you think you'll come better off
- In lane Gragas can be a very In-your-face champion, after level 4 Body Slam right into them, using Barrel Roll slightly behind them after this, this small combo will reward about 250-350 damage.
Recall at level 6 and buy as much items as you can, use Teleport to return to lane to maximize the amount of time you spend in lane, this helps with your whole game, maximizing your Creep Score and XP.
- You can use Explosive Cask to knock people into turrets, use this to punish them for getting close to the turret, maybe even snagging you some kills.
- Now your combo will do serious damage.
do this: start off with a Barrel Roll, then Explosive Cask them towards you, follow that up quickly with a Body Slam, this is a lot of damage already, their attack speed is reduced and they are slowed, they'll usually try to retreat here, use another Barrel Roll into Body Slam combo, more often than not they won't be able to take that much damage, no worries, they'll usually be low and will have to recall, reducing the amount of Creep Score and XP they have.
- Farming becomes a little easier here, keep getting gold and XP.
This is where the teamfights begin, use all spare time you have were your not required by the team to push/destroy your lane, it will grant gold, and help you in the long run.
- See the teamfight/teamwork section below for how to do well in teamfights.
- This is the minor pushing stage, push at least the 1st turret if you haven't already
- Continue to farm throughout this time as well, it is a vital part for all champions.
- hopefully pick up a few kills durning this time.
And so, the laning phases pretty much stops now, keep buying your build, and hopefully it goes well for your team.