Graves Build Guide by Mentalasylum
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
We recommend you take a look at this author's other builds.
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
Malcolm Graves was born in the back of a Bilgewater tavern and left there with a bottle of spiked milk. He survived a childhood in the pirate-run slums using every dirty trick in the book. Intent on building a new life for himself, he stowed away on the first ship to the mainland he could sneak aboard. However, the grim realities of the world forced him to eke out an unsavory living in the underground of various city-states, jumping the border whenever things got too hot. At a particularly high-stakes game of cards, he found himself seated opposite TwistedFateSquare.png Twisted Fate. They both flipped four aces on the final hand. It was the first time either conman had met his equal. The two formed an alliance, swindling marks at the tables and scrapping back-to-back in the alleys afterward. Together, they ran the streets – stacking chips, decks, and rap sheets.
Unfortunately Graves made the mistake of hustling a hefty sum from Dr. Aregor Priggs, a high-ranking Zaunite official and businessman. When Priggs discovered how he’d been played, he became obsessed with revenge. He learned about Twisted Fate’s all-consuming desire to control magic and he promptly offered him a trade: serve Graves up in exchange for enrollment in a procedure which would grant his wish. Twisted Fate took the deal – both he and Graves knew the stakes of their arrangement, but the offer was too good. Once acquired, Priggs had Graves taken to a special location built to hold men whose crimes – or more precisely their punishments – were meant to stay off the books. Graves endured years of captivity at the hands of Zaun’s most unscrupulous wardens before he managed to escape. One of his fellow detainees introduced him to an eccentric gunsmith who modified a shotgun exactly to his specifications. He named it “Destiny.” After he paid a visit to Priggs, Graves joined the League of Legends with two targets in his sights: Twisted Fate and payback.
Why you should play Graves (Hint: I left shouldn't out for a reason)
+ Strong early game
+ Hard to gank with a combination of smoke bomb and quickdraw
+ Versatile ultimate
+ Great passive
+ He has a shotgun for christ's sake -.-
- Mana issues early game
- Escape mechanism relies on combination of 2 moves
- Can be hard to aim ultimate at times
Mastery, Runes and Summoner Spells
Pretty standard for an AD carry. CDR helps Graves with his burst, while attack speed increases his overall output.
[FLASH]: Escape, initiate, steal, whatever, it's flash :D
[EXHAUST]: Slow them down, stop them hurting you, own face.
SUMMONER SPELL HERE
- GUNSLINGER: Pretty nice passive, nothing too special. Gives you increased armour and magic res the longer you are in combat. Keep it up by attacking minions, prefferably initiate with 10 stacks. This can make the difference between winning a fight at bottom lane or losing it.
- BUCKSHOT (Q): Your bread and butter. Fires 3 shots, and each shot has the ability to pass through enemies (minions or players). Learn the spread of the shots, and use it accordingly to check a bush in the widest spread. It's fairly short range, and quite high in mana, but if you use it infrequently, you should be fine.
- SMOKE SCREEN (W): This is so amazing. It causes a small amount of damage and makes anyone within it's area of effect lose map vision and vision around it (think of an uber-version of Nocturne's Paranoia, without the charge). Deceptively long range, don't be afraid to throw it after retreating enemies on the off chance if they're low.
- QUICKDRAW (E): A short dash that increases your attack speed. Use it to manoeuver, initiate, and demolish both enemies and towers.
- COLLATERAL DAMAGE (R): This fires in a straight line, and at the end of its path (unless it hits an enemy champion) it explodes in a cone dealing strong damage. The hit AND the cone deal damage. Throw this into a teamfight at the right angle to demolish a team, or, if you're real pro, use it to steal baron or dragon by hitting a champion between you and baron, or just using the end range :D
: Gives you some health, damage, and lane-staying power. What's not to love?
: I find Graves a bit slow attacking, so attack speed is always good. Also, he's so squishy that if you're caught in a situation where you need tenacity, it normally means you're dead.
: Gives you some more much needed attack speed, as well as attack damage and, best of all, armour penetration for the entire team :D
: Health AND attack damage AND a slow. A really nice slow :D Coupled with your boots and zeal, you should be able to run down any would-be cowardly varmints out there.
: Attack speed and movement. If you haven't got the gist by yet, then perhaps Graves isn't for you......
: Damage damage damage damage and more lifesteal :D You NEED to farm up this item or it's a waste of gold though.
- : Finishes off the whole build, giving you some crit to boot :)
Play safe in lane, farm up from a range, using your Q to occasionally harrass. DO NOT use both quickdraw and buckshot unless you aim to initiate. Graves has mana problems early games, and doing this more than twice can cripple him! Just concentrate on farming your way up to your items to really rape face later on. Remember your passive relies on farming anyway, so make sure you get it right.
You're the ad CARRY so you need to be dishing out the damage. Go in after your tank, use your ultimate if there are more than 3 people, and try and get as best a spread as possible. Follow up with buckshot and then quickdraw and unload on your target of choice. If your team needs to retreat, use quickdraw to get some distance and then smoke screen to try and save teammates. Remember, if an enemy runs into a smoke screen that's already down, they also lose sight.
Graves is an amazingly fun and competitive champion to play, and only gets better once you master his finer points. Learn how to last hit with him, what you can beat and what you can't, and you should be fine.
This build will be updated as often as possible. A current plan-list includes:
-Who he's good against and who he struggles with
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.