Mordekaiser Build Guide by izumi_takeshi
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Guide is still a work in progess.
Hello everyone. This is my first time writing a guide, and I've decided to make a Mordekaiser guide since I believe that I play this champion quite proficiently. This is a basic guide to Mordekaiser, I believe that players that take an interest on him, should develop the mechanics behind this champion. Thus, this guide just shows a general understanding of Mordekaiser. As time passes, I will try to update this guide.
I usually play Mordekaiser in the middle lane. But, Morderkaiser is a viable top pick as well. The reason I play Mordekaiser in the mid plane because AP mids have a tendency to be quite squishy early game. While the top lane, champions usually are a little bit more tanky, than the mids(assuming that people are following the meta).
+ Doesn't use mana
+ Great farmer
+ Strong throughout the game
+ Able to off-tank
+ 3 AoE abilites
+ Pushes well
- Pushes lane, making you a target from jungle ganks
- No CC, a slow once Rylai's Crystal Scepter is completed
- They nerfed his classic skin splash art :(
- No escapes
- Be called a noob for using an 'OP' champion
Flash: Since Mordekaiser has no escape abilities, having flash is recommended.
Ignite: This summoner spell can help ensure kills. By using Mordekaiser's Children of the Grave and ignite together
Exhaust: A good choice to have. Using this summoner spell can help chase down enemy's. You can also use it to help mitigate incoming damage when the battle seems to favor your enemy.
- Greater Quintessence of Ability Power: The higher your AP is early game, the easier it is for you to harass the enemy as well as last hitting with your abilities.
- Greater Mark of Magic Penetration: The magic penetration helps you harass enemies' that have some magic resist in the early phases of the game.
- Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist: The magic resist can help mitigate incoming magic damage. Reducing incoming magic damage allows you to stay in lane longer to harass and farm. Having this rune and Greater Seal of Armor can really help your chances of survival.
- Greater Seal of Armor: The armor helps mitigate incoming physical damage. This rune also helps you from AD oriented champions that are ganking. Having this rune and Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist can really help your chances of survival.
If you're an aggressive player, going 21/9/0 is a good choice. Using this setup allows the player to harass efficiently, and dish out a lot of damage early in the game. The masteries in the lower portion of the offense tree aren't that noticeable early game. But later stages of the game, they will prove to be useful.
For players that want to be safe. going 9/21/0 increases your chances of survivability. This setup sacrifices your late game damage a little. But, early game your ability to harass should not be affected.
- Iron Man: Mordekaiser's passive is a shield which is located where your energy/mana is suppose to be. Using your skills to hurt your enemies will increase your shield. Your shield acts as a secondary health bar, in which your shield is depleted first and then your health.
- Mace of spades (Q): I max this ability last because it's harass potential is not as high as the other two abilities. Using this skill exposes Mordekaiser to potential threats since it requires Mordekaiser to be in melee range. Using this to harass by attacking a minion can easily be countered if the enemy decides to hide behind his/her caster minions.
- Creeping Death (W): I max this skill second, since it gives Mordekaiser more armor and magic resist, as well damaging nearby enemies.. Thus, making him harder to be killed from enemy jungle ganks. It's also a better farming still than his Q. Using this skill along with your E can help you clear minion waves easily.
- Siphon of Destruction (E): I max this skill first since it allows Mordekaiser to harass the enemy champion more easily than his other skills. Use this skill to help last hit so that you can keep your passive shield high.
- Children of the Grave (R): Get this skill whenever it is possible. Mordekaiser's ultimate is really deadly. Using the ultimate on high HP champions, can increase Mordekaiser's survivability. It is a really good skill to nuke down enemy's AD/AP carries. Once they are dead, a ghost of the dead champion will be present, to help your team push and fight in teamfights for a limited time. Holding ALT or clicking his skill again while there is a ghost active will allow you to control Mordekaiser's ghost.
: Out of all the available shoes, Sorcerer's Shoes is the most useful one since it provides magic penetration.
: Will of the Ancients can help you stay in lane longer. Most of Mordekaiser's skills require health, thus having the spell vamp can counteract the HP usage.
: Mordekaiser has no available CC, Rylai's Crystal Scepter provides a slow for all of Mordekaiser's ability. The bonus health and AP are really important for him. Making him a lot more harder to kill.
: This item boosts Mordekaiser's AP tremendously. The more AP you have, the more damage you do which will help your passive.
: A great offensive/defensive item for Mordekaiser. Granting AP, MR and an aura that reduces nearby champion's MR. This allows Mordekaiser to dish out a lot of damage while being able to take a lot of magic damage.
- : Another great defensive item. Granting AP, armor and an active skill. This active is great if you are being focused by the enemy team.
Mordekaiser is a really efficient farmer. Using your E and your W together can help you clear minion waves. Once pushed up to the enemy towers, you have the option of taking the wraith camps or to attack the tower. Destroying the tower allows you to go help other lanes by either ganking or pushing. Going for the wraith camps allows you to have a gold advantage over your enemy. Also, if your taking the enemy's wraith camp, it is wise to leave one small wraith to delay the enemy jungle or prevent the enemy mid from farming them.
The problem with Mordekaiser is that he pushes the lane. To solve such problem, it is recommended to ward your side bushes. Worst case scenario is if you are needed to use your Flash to escape the gank. It is possible to 2 v 1 if you use your ultimate and your ignite wisely. It also helps if you're able land all your AoE abilities on both the jungler and their mid. If that is not possible, minions work as well. By doing so, your shield will help take all of your incoming damage.
When it comes to teamfighting, Mordekaiser, is really useful. All of Mordekaiser's abilities are AoE except Children of the Grave. It is recommended to use your ultimate on the enemy's AD carry and then try to nuke him/her till he/she is dead. Thus, having a ghost to assist in the teamfight.
It is recommended to stay with the enemy so that Creeping Death will do as much damage as possible. Also, try to position yourself so that all your AoE skills can hit multiple champions.
This guide is still a work in progress. I will try to update this guide as much as possible. I would really appreciate it if people can comment on the guide and how I may improve it.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template, which you can find here.