Hecarim Build Guide by Dominiking
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
For those of you who stayed to read this and give it a chance your about to witness the power of 700 HORSEPOWER and if your team has a support of Zilean, Lulu, or just any support who gives an additional Movement Speed buff you just might hit what ive recorded 1135 MS and 507 AD.
But we are here to talk about Hecarim one of the best tanky junglers i know in this guide im going to give you all the information you need to Dominate your jungle and opponents and give you tips on how to catch those pesky Counter Junglers. (dont you just hate those ewww)
To start this off my choice of Summoner Spells are Ghost and Smite. The reason for Ghost is because Hecarim scales off Movement Speed and on top of it with Warpath you dont have to worry about minions or champions just run right past them and get to your target. I find that early game ganks with Ghost and Devastating Charge will if not grant the kill but give your teammate the much needed breathing room.
Lately I've been using the Smite, Exhaust combo which has worked out just as well as the Smite, Ghost combo only difference being it helps your teammate catch up instead. If anything i would consider this combo over the Smite, Ghost combo only cause taking Ghost make you a solo player but you have to remember this is a TEAM EFFORT unlike most players im satisfied with an assist as the TANKY JUNGLER rather than the kill which could have been given to my CARRIES (but thats just me).
Greater Mark of Armor Penetration
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed
For my runes i went with Greater mark of desolation, Greater Seal of Armor, Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist, and Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed.
I went with Greater mark of desolation because it helps out with the jungle and helps youLate Game since this build does not really give much if not any Armor Penetration
Greater Seal of Armor and Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist and gives you that extra armor and magic resist to start with Basically this is a must need for tanks.
Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed I picked these over Armor Penetration, Attack Damage, Attack Speed Ect. because the build i made takes care of everything you need the more MOVEMENT SPEED the more ATTACK DAMAGE and Trinity Force will give you all the Attack Speed
you need. Basically the Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed help you throughout the ENTIRE GAME where as others would only be in affect Late Game.
For my masteries i go 1/20/9 getting the increasedMovement Speed by 35% bonus for Ghost then building as much Defense as possible some may argue that you dont need the extra point for Runic Affinity this may be true but with the low mana pool Hecarim has early game i feel that it holds you out long enough. But if must change the masteries i would imply going 1/21/8 because your going to want the extra 2% Movement Speed from Swiftness to go along with the Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed that gives you all together a total of 6.5% Movement Speed to start with, bet your pony wins every race.
For starting items i get Boots of Speed and 3 Health Potion the Boots of Speed and your additional percentage of Movement Speed already ensure you at least 405 Movement Speed to start with giving you additional Attack Damage so i consider this choice better than the Cloth Armor plus with the boots its easier for you to successfully gank lanes (note that it is not necessary for you to earn a kill early game gank you just need to do enough damage to give your teammate enough breathing room in lane so they may earn some cs)
Mid-game items these are the items you want as your team starts going into team fights for many reasons.
- Ninja Tabi while not only giving you much needed armor to tank the pesky AdC but gives you better Movement Speed to go along with it.
- Your philosopher's stone and Heart of Gold help out in the long run for building your Late Game items which include Trinity Force, Randuin's Omen, Maw of Malmortius, Frozen Heart,and shurelya's reverie.
- Sheen because you get that well needed mana but also you get the attack damage buff which is useful since Rampage is spammable your sure to be doing A LOT of damage to your opponent.
- Hexdrinker gives you attack damage but is also useful for its passive shield which can either save you from certain death or change the tide in the fight plus it makes up for the choice of Ninja Tabi over Mercury's Treads.
- And last but not least Glacial Shroud useful for many reasons one being more mana also you get additional armor which makes you even more tankier than you were but the main reason this item is great on Hecarim the COOLDOWN REDUCTION since Devastating Charge has such a long cooldown this item best suits Hecarim cause whats the point of chasing someone if you cant catch up to secure the kill or maybe you need to get out of a sticky situation and Devastating Charge is on cooldown this item takes care of that problem.
Your Late Game Items this is what seperates the pure breed from the wild animal... oh yea were going WILD.
- Trinity Force with this item you now get on top of the Sheen buff the Phage and Zeal attributes great for sticking onto your target.
- Your Maw of Malmortius now not only does the same thing Hexdrinker did for you but increases your attack damage by 1 for every 2.5% hp you lose and with 3000+ hp your pretty much set to stay in the fight as long as you want.
- Frozen Heart of course we all know is good for when the AdC is feed on the other team (eww feeders) and you just rather not get poked as much, nonetheless SPAM THAT Q i say and give em a good whack while your at it bet they will think twice about poking you again (shoo shoo fly), with the extra 5% cooldown reduction from upgrading they wont be able to run from you with the 10 sec cooldown on Devastating Charge.
- Randuin's Omen this item is just the to secure kills ans assure your survival (plus if u made it this far its a miracle the team has not surrendered but this next item your gonna love).
- Last but not least shurelya's reverie i know why would you put this item on Hecarim your not playing support forget that the active speed boost is mainly for you anyways unless u want to be generous plus you receive extra hp a good amount of hp regen some more cooldown reduction and its FUN(seriously though try this when you get the chance pop shurelya's reverie then Ghost then have a Zilean or Lulu just anyone with a movement speed buff and use Devastating Charge then rush out to perfectly charge into the squishy on there team and watch the team panic when you come flying out the bush at over 1135 Movement speed with 507 attack damage) but lets be real this items synergy with Ghost and Devastating Charge is phenomenal its a wonder why most Hecarim builds dont have it included.
- If all goes well once you hear 30 seconds until minions spawn count to 10 then run over to Wolves with your Rampage start the attack on wolves focusing the middle one as Rampage will lower the smaller ones with it.
- Blue Buff[/color][/b] comes next but if you want to stay in jungle long enough i suggest doing the SUPERMAN LEASH. Whats that you ask have your Mid lane attack golem and walk in and out of the bush leading to river if done correctly you should see the golem walking to the bush and to the river leaving him completely confused and able for you to kill him without taking any damage.(at most mid may lose 2 cs for doing this but it helps everyone out because you now have more health for when you gank.
- Once you finish with Blue Buff make your way over to WRAITHS walk in the middle of then then spam Rampage and when they start to attack pop Spirit of Dread
- If needed while running back to wolves use a Health Potion then use the same technique you used on Wraiths
- By this time you should be lvl 3 and have Rampage, Spirit of Dread, and Devastating Charge you can do 1 of 2 things.
- After RED BUFF golems should be fairly easy Devastating Charge be sure to maximize your attack power travel a good amount of distance with it then charge into the main golem spam Rampage and pop Spirit of Dread. Also lately since ive been jungling i gank more n more often by the time i do reach golems im about 1/2 way through lvl 5.
- Once you have earned enough GOLD to purchase the philosopher's stone head back to base and show your presence in lanes as much as possible (REMEMBER you DONT NEED THE KILL just enough to keep pressure off your teammate)
- Protect buffs
- Protect lanes(also this helps guard the entrances to your jungle)
- Counter Jungle
- Additional but not necessary Counter jungling
- Additonally i did not enter these in but i will in the near future but i forgot to put the circles around Baron & Dragon
These are just screenshots of a couple of matches ive recently done with Hecarim if you use this guide and you want it uploaded here screenshot and send me link and ill place them here.
Changes include more explanation on the Jungle Route, Inserted Rune Page with explanation, and made items more presentable and easier to read and understand. Also updated Summoner Spells included Exhaust and new chapter for screenshots of my games and any of players who use this guide
Well like i said this was my first build i would like to have comments on how to make it better any ideas you may have um basically just general feedback i know its not flashy and entertaining as others but i want to start bring that to the table and if you do for some reason down vote this at least do me the courtesy of commenting why i would appreciate it. I hope this guide helps many of you get a better feel for Hecarim as a champion.
Thanks to jhoijhoi your guide was very informative. (took me a while felt like a complete noob considering im studying computer programming)