Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Despite being a very simple champ (running around and bashing people in the face?), Trundle takes a lot of practice to make him work the way you want him to. Proper movement patterns, ability timings, etc. are all vital to succeed as Trundle. If you don't know how to use this beast properly, you will get **** all over.
You're not a full tank like Sejuani or Sion. Why? Because you're not a CC machine. You'll generally want one offensive item pretty early. Two eventually if you're ahead.
King's Tribute (aka Decompose)
Whenever an enemy unit near Trundle dies, he heals for 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 % of their maximum health. The amount is increased at levels 5, 9, 12 and 15.
- This is a big strength of yours in lane. Being able to trade and regen a bunch of damage is cool.
- Heals for a whole bunch against Baron, Dragon, and enemy champions.
- Pairs nicely with Dangerous Game .
- Know the range, so if you're cowering under tower with 100 health, you're at least healing up from all the dying minions you're missing. (Protip: it's 1400. Just less than a Nidalee spear. Less than XP range.)
Chomp (aka Rabid Bite)
Trundle enhances his next basic attack, dealing 20 / 40 / 60 / 80 / 100 (+ 100 / 105 / 110 / 115 / 120 % of total AD) physical damage and slowing its target by 75% for 0.1 seconds.
This attack increases Trundle's attack damage by 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40 for 8 seconds, with his opponent losing half of this amount for the same duration.
- Max it first. Mucho damage.
- Sweet, sweet AD drain that makes you dump on champs like Zed or Lee Sin.
- You should be a last hitting god. No excuses. Except creep block. Rito pls Trundle 2 fat.
- It's really cheap.
- The slow on this is a godsend. Great sticking power. Believe me, pre-rework Trundle was painful.
Frozen Domain (aka Contaminate... OH COME ON TWITCH)
Trundle coats a target 1000-radius location with ice for 8 seconds, gaining 20 / 25 / 30 / 35 / 40 % bonus movement speed, 20 / 35 / 50 / 65 / 80 % attack speed, and 20 % increased healing and regeneration from all sources while he is on it.
- Max it second. It gives a lot of stats per level.
- That's a lot of attack speed and movement speed, folks. Try and position it where you believe you'll be spending the next 8 seconds. Might wanna learn to bait in conjunction with Subjugate. It's a fine art.
- Use it when you wanna burn down a tower.
- Use it whenever you're full mana and are coming out of the fountain to get back to lane a little faster.
- Make good use of the healing increase. For example...
- Always try and use it before you pop Subjugate.
- Use it when Baron or Dragon are about to die. Also, jungle monsters such as Gromp. Cuz they give you a heal.
Pillar of Ice
Pillar of Ice (aka Pillar of Filth)
Trundle creates an icy pillar at a target location for 6 seconds, creating impassable terrain and slowing all enemy units by 30 / 35 / 40 / 45 / 50% around the pillar for .25 seconds. The slow duration is refreshed if enemies stay within the area around the pillar. Enemies caught in the center of the eruption are briefly knocked back.
- Max third. They're nerfing the cooldown at later levels anyway.
- This ability is what makes Trundle such a special snowflake! With this, he can do what no one else can do. YES, THINGS THAT NO ONE ELSE CAN DO! ( Anivia? who's that?)
- This ability has the potential to completely lock someone down for 6 seconds. That's twice as long as a Morgana binding, kids.
- You see, you gotta find that sweet spot where you can pinch an enemy between the pillar and a wall. Sometimes they'll try and path in-between, but it just ain't workin' out.
- If you're disengaging and running away, always be sure to place it in-between the enemy champion and their destination, knocking them back in the opposite direction.
- It's just so easy to mess this up. Lots of times you might find yourself trapping your teammate in with the enemy. You might wanna take it off smartcast. Of course I don't because I'm a seasoned Trundle professional.
- You can use it to set up a Yasuo ult from really far away. Epic synergy. (I heard this hasn't been working lately though. Might be bugged or something.)
- The most satisfying thing you can do with this ability, aside from maybe making Sion faceplant, is interrupting dashes. For example...
- Our buddy Lee Sin hits you with a Sonic Wave. Of course his body's telling him yes, so he takes the Q, thereby dashing to you, however you knock him up when he's about half-way to you, cancelling the dash altogether. GG you annoying prick!
- Pretty sure this works with all dashes in the game, aside from Malphite's Unstoppable Force. Because he's unstoppable. Whatever, just ult him.
- You can use it to squeeze yourself over Jarvan's ult. It's pretty funny because the pillar is the D and Jarvan's ult is the V. Should work with Anivia too, I'm guessing.
Subjugate (aka Agony)
Trundle drains 20 / 27.5 / 35 % (+ 2% per 100AP) of an enemy champion's max health as magic damage and 40% of their armor and magic resist, half immediately and half over 4 seconds. The armor and magic resist bonus/reduction lasts for 4 after it has been fully applied.
- Please don't buy AP.
- Put a point in it whenever you can.
- Crazy stat transfer. You don't even gotta build tank to be a tank! JK, PLEASE BUILD DEFENSIVE ITEMS!
- Make sure to wait until you've lost about 100-300 health before you use it in a fight so you can make use of the instant heal. Just don't wait too long, or you'll get bursted down and die before your ult is even relevant.
- Have you ever played Pikmin? If the enemy tank engages on your team, ping him 6 times, ult him, and ******** him, then turn on the other enemy champs.
- Like I said before, try and use Frozen Domain before you pop this.
- Recognize when the ability's duration has run its course. You don't wanna be stuck in the middle of the enemy team with half health. Back out if things get sketchy.
Be sure to hover over the "notes" button near the pretty pictures up top.
Trundle's pretty versatile in terms of his build order. You're basically going to want to pick up a damage item, then itemize defensively depending upon the enemy's damage type. Might be able to slide another damage item in there later on. It's up to you to decide at what point to build offensively, and when to build defensively. That's largely up to your play style. If you're heavily committed to split-pushing, you might favor a slightly more offense-focused build. Consider that many times, a defensive item will provide you with more damage than any offensive item could, because you can't deal damage when you're dead. Moving on.
If one of Trundle's greatest strengths is pushing turrets, Trundle's greatest weakness has to be pushing minions. You could spend minutes upon wasted minutes sitting in a lane, killing minions, when you could be out there accomplishing something. Many times you'll need to counter-push and enemy wave, and you could be sitting there for a decade last-hitting minions whilst the enemy team is doing Dragon. You'll get more farm. You'll get more assists due to the AOE. This is my offensive item 9 times out of 10. So many synergies. Mad healing. Hydra works well with the auto reset. You can always switch it to Titanic Hydra if you're getting melted, or if it's late game, and you've got a whack of health.
This is so weak right now, but fits Trundle so well. You'll basically never lose a straight up duel if you buy it. Go hard if you're not worried about being shoved into tower helplessly. Remember to use Frozen Domain before you use the Blade of the Ruined King active. They'll buff it soon, though. I guarantee it!
OMG HEALING INCREASE. Against an AP champ or two, there's nothing here you don't want. Spectre's Cowl is a great first item in lane. Gives mad sustain, and a healthy mix of magic resist and... health. If you need a second magic resistance item for some reason, build Banshee's Veil. Armor's generally a more important stat though (towers and marksmen).
Everyone's go-to armor/health item. Great mix of armor and health. Gotta go fast. Good for roaming.
Cooldown reduction is mad good on Trundle. This item now gives 20%. You want that pillar up as often as possible if you're team fighting. So buy it when you're team-fighting a lot or if you need to peel for your team. The spellblade passive is really good with Chomp. Unless the enemy has about 3 attack speed reliant threats, get it over Frozen Heart.
If you know you're going to be split pushing all game, you might consider this. Remember how I said Trundle pushes towers like a god? With this item, Trundle will push towers like God's boss. It'll make you one fast troll, which is nice for getting away from sticky situations you might get yourself into by split pushing. No lifesteal though. Lifesteal = map pressure. Don't forgo Ravenous Hydra as a split pushing item.
No reason to take it over Ravenous Hydra. If you're certain you won't get kited, buy both.
Give Sion the Big D
Let's go over a few of Trundle's favorite enemy champions.
Your pillar will interrupt his Q, but then it resets to 2 seconds anyway. You can do this if you need to escape. Easy. You'll want to keep your pillar ready most of the time until Sion tries to ult. Put it in front of him, and he'll run into it, stun himself, and look like an absolute goof in front of his team. Then die. Then come back to life like Yorick. Then die again as you troll dance in front of him. Sion is your ult target in the late game. He stacks a lot of health with his w, plus his items, so it'll do more damage to him, and heal you more. You might have a difficult time laning against him if you can't dodge his Roar of the Slayer. I've had Sions push me into tower and charge up their Decimating Smash to deny me farm. Like Yorick, call over your jungler early, and kill his ***. You don't want him farmed for the late game.
Anyway, yeah, Trundle pretty much gets countered by everyone else, so have fun. JK.
Let me know if there's someone you're having trouble with, and I'll try and help you out, bud.
Please leave a comment or send me a message with any questions, opinions, or hey, follow me on Twitter or Twitch to see when I'm streaming and request a Trundle game! Trolls very welcome.