How to: Amumu (AP/Tank) 6.20
Example Build #1
Example Build #2
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Threats to Amumu with this build
|Garen||You'll deffinitely encounter Garens while ganking toplane. Never 1v1 him since his silence and blender-spin can really chip at your health. Amumu is relatively easy to kill for Garen, remeber that.|
Thanks for checking out my first guide! Just so you know, I'll be uploading uncommon builds that I use and really help with my play-style.
I mained Amumu since the last season since when the purple smite still existed, and he introduced me to my love for the JG. I decided to upload this because there aren't many who take Amumu like this and there's a lot of potential in him as an AP/Tank carry.
Let's get it started!
(MORE VS. CHAMPIONS COMING SOON!)
Pros / Cons
- Tanky while also having good AP damage.
- Build that works really well with Amumu's passive and abilities.
- Can go 2,3,4 or 5v1 if fed.
- Almost guaranteed teamfight win!
- Can escape easily using Bandage Toss (Q) because of CD reduction.
- Prone to focus. If you're doing well, enemies will surely focus you.
- Can be easily outmaneuvered before lvl 6. If any other jungler invades, you're most probably dead.
- Not full tank. I'm not saying this is bad, but it can hurt when there's no other tank in your team and you're losing.
Your usual combo is Q, R, E, W.
Q will bring you to the center of the battle. R will stun all enemies around you so use this and Q smartly to get as many opponents as possible. Try to land a basic attack before using R, since that will trigger the passive. E and W do area damage, so use E for a burst of damage and W for continuous damage.
Nothing too complicated here. Go CD reduction because of the absolutely terrifying cooldowns on Amumu. This will really help you make continuous ganks, which in turn will allow your team to get kills faster.
As stated in the notes, you could change Runic Armor for Veteran's Scars. However, this wouldn't help too much if you want to clear all jungle camps in one go.
Again, nothing complicated here. Max E first but chose W as your first ability. However, as the Jungler gets lvl 2 before anyone else, you could choose Q as your second ability ONLY if you think you can do an early first blood by ganking either mid or top/bot (depending on what side of the map you started).
Jungling, Ganking & Farming
Here comes the fun part! I love to JG because there's a whole strategy to it. Usually my steps for a good early JG clear are:
1) Grompo, smite it to kill it if you're getting a good leash. If no leash, smite it from the start.
2) Get the Blue buff/Blue Sentinel! By now you should have reached level 2 and have more than half your health up, so you should have no problem doing Blue using your W and your E. You could also use one potion charge if you feel like it.
2.1) If you think you can get an early first blood, choose Q instead of E as your second ability and gank. However this doesn't always work and you'll end up loosing XP and farm if you fail at this.
3) (NOT NECESSARY) Kill the crab/Rift Scuttler? Alright, so this step is non-essential but helps your team for warding Drake or Baron. Do this as fast as you can because you could end up loosing XP and there's a risk you'll find that the other jungler took your red or is waiting for you in the river.
4) Hunt the wolves/Murk Wolves! You should be able to clear this camp using only your W and E as you did with the Blue Sentinel. I wouldn't smite it if I were you.
5) By now you should be lvl 3, so pick Q as your next ability. Get to mid and Bandage Toss (Q) to the birds/Raptors. Try to clear them without using smite, since you'll need that later. You could use a potion if you're unsure.
6) Get your Red buff/Red Brambleback! Use Bandage toss (Q) to stun it when it attacks and smite it to get a ton of health back! IT IS IMPERATIVE NOT TO USE SMITE BEFORE THE RED BUFF BECAUSE OF THIS.
7) Destroy the Rocks/Krugs! You should have more than enough health to clear this camp as well, and you should get to lvl 4 without backing after clearing all camps.
7.1) (NOT NECESSARY) You can do this before or after the Rocks/Krugs. It can be useful to kill the second Crab/Rift Scuttler for some extra health, XP, gold and vision. As before, be careful if the other jungler is there.
By now you can either recall, keep farming the jungle or help out your teammates with some epic Q ganks.
- There's absolutely no reason to stop farming. You're not support. Help your team out, but NEVER stop farming. You'll need that for your build. By min. 30 you should already have at least 180-200 as your Creep Score (CS).
- If one of your team's lanes is doing good, DO NOT STOP ganking it. It's probably even better if you ganked it more since there's a better chance you'll get fed faster.
- HELP OUT YOUR TEAM! I mean, come on! I didn't put this before because I'm assuming you already knew this but... There's no point in not helping your team. You wouldn't have kills/assists and there's a good chance you'll lose because it's like playing a 4v5.
- Do not underestimate the power of smiting Rocks/Krugs. If you smite the Ancient Krug, you'll get a buff that stuns monsters and minions every sixth basic attack. This can be very useful for clearing camps while having low health.
Help your team out, farm a lot, use smite intelligently. Be careful with counter-jg invades, so ward a lot.