Kog'Maw Build Guide by
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
First things first: Yes, I'm not even level 30 yet, and I'm writing a guide. Why? Well, I've mained Kog'maw in normal, both solo and premade, for the last ten or twelve levels. I've had spectacular successes and equally spectacular failures. Along the way, I've figured out a build order and mastery setup that's worked extremely well for me. After looking through the guides here, I didn't see any that matched my setup. I tried some of the more highly rated guides, and I had better results with my setup. So I'm writing this guide to present it as an alternative option.
I'm not saying this is the only way to build Kog'maw; I'm not even saying this is the best way to build on-hit/attack speed Kog'maw. I do believe it is a very good way, and I hope someone finds it useful.
When to Pick Kog'maw
Kog'maw can be built as an AD carry, an AP mage, a hybrid carry, or an attack-speed/on-hit-effects carry. This guide focuses on AS/OH Kog. His key features are:
- Extremely long range.
- Extremely high DPS- easily the highest of any ranged carry.
- Extremely squishy.
- Completely lacking in escapes and hard CC.
- When your team has multiple sources of hard CCs (stun, knockup, and suppress), snares, and/or silences, preferably multi-target/AoE, or on short cooldowns. If they're not in your face, they're dead. Get a team that can keep them out of your face.
- When your team lacks an AP carry, or when your mage is extremely bursty like LeBlanc or Malzahar. Your sustained damage complements their burst well.
- When the enemy team picks health-stackers or naturally high-health champions like Vladimir, Sion, Cho'gath, Olaf, or Garen.
- Actually, Vlad deserves a note of his own. He's been nerfed so many times that this is really not as important as it once was, but it bears repeating: Kog'maw hard-counters Vladimir. Full stop, no exceptions.
- When the enemy team lacks an assassin or other highly mobile carry-killer champion such as Irelia, Akali, Nocturne, Katarina, LeBlanc, or Kassadin.
- When your mage is a Fiddlesticks. Fiddle + Kog'maw can duo Baron early and astonishingly quickly, and without either needing a full build of items to do it.
- When your team has multiple ways of stacking magic-resist reduction debuffs on enemies. Currently, these include: Amumu (Cursed Touch), Evelynn (Ravage), Fiddlesticks (Dread), Karthus (Wall of Pain), Kayle (Holy Fervor), Morgana (Tormented Soil), Nidalee (Bushwhack), Ryze (Spell Flux), and Soraka (Starcall). With these complementing your Caustic Spittle, and Malady as a core item, it's at least theoretically possible to build an all-AP team that is prohibitively expensive to counter-build against. (NOTE: Evelynn was listed solely for completeness. I am not recommending anyone play Evelynn, ever, for any reason. Hopefully this will change when the stealth remake comes out.)
When should you not pick Kog'maw?
- When your team is lacking in CC.
- When your team has too many squishies already.
- When the enemy team is CC-heavy.
- When the enemy team has more than one assassin/anti-carry. You're vulnerable to them. Yes, your team should be CCing them, but asking them to keep more than one character locked down is a tall order.
- When you would have to solo lane against Akali, Irelia, LeBlanc, or Orianna. The first two have better mobility and sustain and will either destroy you, or constantly send you back to base, outlevel you, and push your tower. The third can probably kill you under your turret from 80% health in one combo by level five or so. And the fourth has a tendency to brutally punish passive play, whereas your lategame effectiveness is largely dependent on being able to farm early-game.