General Guide by Untherbjorn
Not Updated For Current Season
With this quick and easy to understand guide you will have a basic foundation of knowledge to stand on as you progress your adventures in the jungle. This guide will include masteries and rune tips, as well as an explanation of the jungle items, and what you want to do when you are new to the jungle. Im writing this guide for the people of KG gaming. If you want a great community, filled with players ranging from bronze too challenger. head over to Konvict gaming
These are the runes every rookie jungler should be using, you don't need all of them, but having a set of at least one of them, will help you out a lot! I will explain:
- Glyphs Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist or Greater Glyph of Magic Resist are a great way to be a bit more tankier, without spending money on magic resist items early on. If you are going against a full attack damage match-up, or know you will build early magic resist, Greater Glyph of Scaling Cooldown Reduction is great substitute.
- Seals Greater Seal of Armor or Greater Seal of Scaling Health are the superior seals, where the Greater Seal of Armor does not scale as well into the late game, it keeps you healthy while your clearing the jungle early on.
- Marks Greater Mark of Ability Power Greater Mark of Attack Damage Greater Mark of Attack Speed are great offensive pick ups and offers you the early game damage you need for fast clearing and early ganks.
- Quinteccenses Greater Quintessence of Ability Power Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage are the two offensive quints used for more damage during clearing and ganks, while the Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed are more for getting to places faster, and the chase potential. Its a flavor thing both works really well and are the superior choices on most junglers.
Masteries are very champion dependent, but for beginners, even if you run 21/9/0, 9/21/0 or 0/9/21 always have the,
it will help you out a lot.
Another important factor masteries wise is to utilize it to its maximum, are you heavily into the defense tree, make sure you soak the damage when ganking, and if you are very heavily into the offensive tree, make sure you do damage and not soaking.
Smite, why and how to use it.
is the summoner spell you should always run. It gives you 390-1000(depending on champion level) of true damage towards monsters and minions. Basically each 40th second you have free true damage to use on a monster or minions. is used to enhance your clear time and secure buffs and epic monsters. You should always use it to get the last hit on the monster or epic monster, the reason for this is to make sure the enemy jungler doesn't steal it with his own smite. It is also of importance to have smite available each time your team goes for an epic monster, to make sure it doesn't get stolen.
The jungle consists of 6 camps, that all do different things and have different strengths here is a list of what they do and how you should prioritize them.
this camp consists of 1 big wraith and 3 small ones, this is the camp with the lowest damage and are fairly easy. This should be killed as soon as it spawns early game. it gives you 35 (+0.47.. / level) gold and 90 (+1.29 / level) in exp.
this camp is the tankiest camp, it consists of 1 big and 1 small golem. They can take a lot of damage and deal medium amount of damage back. This one should be avoided early game, if you dont have pots. the big gives you 15 (+0.23.. / level) in gold and 40 (+0.58 / level) in exp.
- wight this is the most powerful monster, its a big white wraith, but its the only camp that consists of only 1 monster. This one should not be done early if you dont have pots. it gives you 65 (+0.94.. / level) in gold and 150(+2.1 / level) in exp.
these with the wraiths are the easiest ones early game, they consists of 2 small wolves and a big one. They should be killed as soon as they spawn. beware they crit the big one gives you 40 (+0.58.. / level) in gold, and 110 (+1.5 / level) in exp.
this is an buff monster, it gives you more than gold when they die. they will be explained in a separate section.
- ancient golem this is an buff monster, it gives you more than gold when they die. they will be explained in a separate section.
Buffs and timers
In the jungle its two power full creatures that gives you buffs when you kill them, those buffs gives you different benefits that i will now explain.
ancient golem (aka blue) when killed awards you with the blue buff crest of the ancient golem for 2.30 mins(3.00 with Runic Affinity }.
elder lizard (aka red) when killed awards you with the red buff Blessing of the Lizard Elder for 2.30 mins(3.00 with Runic Affinity ).
They both spawn after 5 minutes after the last minion in the camp dies.
Dragon and Baron Nashor
There are two epic monsters in the game that offers different benefits. They are called
The Dragon spawns the first time after the 2.30 minute mark. Dragon levels up and becomes stronger depending on the average champion level in game. The person who gets the last hit on him, gets 180 (+ 10 / level) (+ 25) gold to each of his teammates. After his killed it takes 6.00 minutes for him to re spawn.
The Baron nashor Is the strongest epic monster in game. He spawns after the 15.00 minute mark and gets a +140 health points buff each minutes, this still occurs while his dead. The person who gets the last hit on him, gets:
- 600 global Experience Points (given to each person on the team)
- 800 local Experience Points (shared between nearby allies)
- 300 Gold
He also gives all alive members of your team the a buff. Exalted with baron nashor
- 40 ability power
- 40 attack damage
- 3% of your maximum health in health regeneration per 5 sec.
- 1% of your maximum mana in mana regeneration per 5 sec.
(the Runic Affinity mastery does not affect this buff)
After his killed, he respawns after 7 minutes.
This section is dedicated to the jungle items and when to buy what item, and an explanation of why.
You always want to start with a , x4 and a . Always start with this, no exceptions.
this is because you want to upgrade the machete and the 4 pots are for sustaining. and during early game getting vision is more important than denying vision.
Upgrades its very simple to make a decision on what upgrade you want.
- if you want attack damage
- if you want magic damage
- if you want life steal and on hit damage, takes a lot of time to ramp up.
if you simply want to be able to take more damage.
They are all pretty straight forward of what they get you, except the feral flare item, i personally don't buy since it was nerfed, but its a flavor thing aswell.
this is a list of champions easy to pick up, that doesn't need costum rune pages and are pretty straight forward in what they are supposed to do. the list will rang from tier 1-3 with tier 1 being the easiest pick ups, and 3 a bit more difficult. This is in no way a list of their viability, just how easy it is to pick them up.
Tier oneAatrox Nunu Warwick Cho'Gath Xin Zhao Rammus Shyvana Volibear
I recommend these guys because, they all can take a beating, decent clear time, not so bad if you happen to fall behind and because they have low or no resource management.
Tier twoAmumu Udyr Malphite Maokai Sejuani Master Yi Vi Trundle Skarner Nocturne Wukong Fiddlesticks
Its not difficult to jungle these champions, but they require a bit of before hand knowledge and resource handling.
Tier threeHecarim Kha'Zix Kayle Elise Jax Nautilus Olaf Jarvan IV
These champs are difficult too pick up without prior experiences, and the first games can be a struggle.
The stay away from list:
Early game warding
Blue side pinks:
Purple side pinks:
This is a map of the placement of stealth wards, both offensivly and defensivly depending on which side you are on
Counterganking is the art of predicting the enemy junglers movement and act on that behalf. Basically showing up at the same place the enemy junglers is to gank.
In order to successfully countergank, you need to consider multiple things that I will list up:
- Which buff did he start on?
- What is the route he will take?
- What is the enemy junglers clear time?
- How are the waves behaving (pushing/freezing/even)?
- How healthy are your laners/their laners?
Counter ganking is one of the hardest things to learn, you will make mistakes early, but its fine practice is makes perfect.