Build Guide by OverzealousAxe
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hey guys! Welcome to my Irelia Build!
As a disclaimer, I like to jungle with Irelia, so if you aren't looking to jungle, then stop reading now! If, however, you want to jungle, then by all means, plunge on in!
Quick Pros and Cons
- Excellent at Jungling (on par with Warwick in many cases
- Incredibly Strong in a 1v1
- True Damage
- Passive Mercury Treads
- Very Squishy
- Cooldown Dependant
- No Escape Ability
On to the Game Play!
Alright, I start off with a Cloth Armor and 5 Health Potions; just a standard jungling item set. Go for Golem Buff first, which you should be able to do. After that I go and kill the wolves, and from there head up to get Lizard Buff. Once you have both buffs you are ready to rock the jungle. Just sweep through, making sure not to be seen so as to enjoy uninterrupted jungling and experience/gold. Once you have at least 700 gold, go back and get Madred's Razors (though I usually wait until I have 1050 so that I can buy boots as well). Refresh your buffs, then go and get Dragon!
Keep jungling so that your teammates get overleveled, and go gank/hold down lanes for people whenever possible or necessary. Once you've got Madred's Bloodrazor and boots, you're good to go at killing just about anything you want. The combination of Irelia's True Damage and Bloodrazor eats through people like no other.
Initiate with Equilibrium Strike (E) whenever possible to save Bladesurge for chasing if necessary. Your Transcendent Blades is also incredible if the opponent tries to run or you get low on health.
Your basic job in team fights is to jump in and remove the opponent nukes from the fight. Tanks are a viable option as well, but being that you are so squishy, removing their damage is your top priority. Never initiate!
My Item Choices and Why
- Madred's Bloodrazor: Should be pretty much self-explanatory. Attack speed, percentage-based damage, and a little extra damage. The synergy with Irelia is awesome!
- Boots of Swiftness: Mobility is key for an assassin like Irelia. She has a passive Mercury Treads, making them less effective (since the % is multiplicative, not additive). Boots are always a personal/situational choice. This is just what I generally prefer.
- Frozen Mallet: With the Mallet, they can't run, and you aren't quite as squishy anymore. End of story it makes you more dangerous.
- Brutalizer: The cooldown reduction and armor penetration are why I build this item. Irelia's strongest ability is Hiten Style, so having this up as often as possible is key. Late-game if I can I'll build it into Youmoo's Ghostblade, but the upgrade is costly and not as strong as other items.
- Bloodthirster: Irelia's ult, Transcendent Blades, as well as Bladesurge both scale with her attack damage (Bladesurge is 1:1, and Transcendent Blades is 0.2). The damage and lifesteal are incredible, especially since Bladesurge procs on-hit effects.
- Black Cleaver: More damage, and armor reduction. This item is cheap and powerful (relatively speaking, of course).
I love this champion. She is extremely powerful, and really fun to play! Leave me some comments so that I can improve my play and this guide! Go out and have some fun! Thanks for reading!