Irelia General Guide by PedoughBear
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello fellow Summoners, I'm PedoughBear and this is my Irelia Guide. I highly request that you analyze the whole guide and give me constructive criticism before downvoting. Back to the main topic, Irelia is a very versatile champion, she is one of the best, if not the best at jumping onto squishy targets such as Vayne and annihilating them within a second.
Irelia has come to be my favorite champion, her Hiten Style and Transcendent Blades give her an incredible amount of sustain and can fight just about anyone one on one except Jax because his overpowered.. In this guide I'll share with you what I think are the best Masteries, Runes and Abilities to max first. I'll also explain some simple tips and tricks and discuss lane match-ups and their difficulty and what you can do to increase/decrease your advantage/disadvantage.
ARArmor / Armour
CCCrowd Control eg. Stuns,Slows
CSCreep Score / Minion Kills
HPHealth / Hit Points
• High damage with Hiten Style
• Great sustain
• Very mobile
• Good at killing carries
• Tons of CC Reduction
• Weak until level 7-9
• Bad sustain early
• No real escape but juking
• Easy to gank early
• Hard to master
Ignite : Great for finishing off a champ with low hp, reduce healing. A great all round spell.
Flash : You want to take Flash most of the time to get out of sticky situations or to Flash + Bladesurge onto their squishy carry and pop him in a second.
Teleport : If you're looking to play passive and farm for the first 20 minutes of the game or want to have a lot of map presence you can swap it with Ignite
• Ioniana Fervor : Arguably one of the best passives in the game, 40% tenacity + Mercury's Treads gives you 61% tenacity meaning that you will have every single form of disable reduced by a whopping 61%. NERF IRELIA OP!
Ionian Fervor stacks multiplicatively with tenacity:
1 champion: 41.5%
2 champions: 51.25%
3 champions: 61%
• Bladesurge (Q) : This is your dashing skill that helps you last hit under towers. The CD of this spell refreshes if it kills something which makes you a last hitting beast. It also applies on hit affects eg. phage, red buff, lifesteal.
• Hiten Style (W) : How much I love this ability, you wreck faces with it at max rank and the sustain. 75 true damage per hit will destory any squishy that wants to contest your monstrosity. You can activate this to last hit under tower for sustain, most champs cant trade with Irelia after level 7-8 because of this ability.
• Equilibrium Strike (E) : Your slow/stun. The reason I get this at level 1 is because it has a lower CD than Bladesurge and Hiten Style. "But Bladesurge refreshes every time you kill something with it" just get E first. The main reason while I get this at level 1 is because jungle ganks. You can easily stun the jungler with E and then run off minimalising the amount of damage you take.
• Transcendent Blades (R) : Your ultimate is an amazing spell in lanining phase but mostly in teamfights. You heal for 25% of the damage against champions, so if you're hitting more than 3 people with this thing you are gaining back well over 300 health. Its amazing at pushing your lane and you can snipe people with it.
You take a point in Transcendent Blades when ever you can and max out Hiten Style for the sustain and true damage for obvious reasons. After that you want to proceed to get Bladesurge to level three then max out Equilibilirium Strike
I like to go 9/21 because early game Irelia has low MR and AR so I like to get as much defensive stats as I can. Also nothing really benefits Irelia other than the nine points in offense.
The same applies if you're going to take Teleport instead of Ignite
Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed
Greater Mark of Attack Damage
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed : I love this quints, they provide you with so much mobility which makes it easier to juke, kite, run away or chase! I run these with almost every top lane.
Greater Mark of Attack Damage : I use these instead of Armor Pen because your Hiten Style already does true damage. Early on these will help you with trading and last hitting.
Greater Seal of Armor : Irelia has low base armor, like really low. So these are probably
the best runes for any solotop champ,
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist : You can't really get anything beneficial in offense from glyphs. I find that getting scaling MR is better than flat MR in a solo lane is because you level up faster and your scaling MR will soon surpass your flat ones.
It is possible to also go with Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage or Greater Mark of Armor Penetration its all preference. Just go with whatever you feel like, you don't have to follow this guide to every single little detail mix up stuff, innovate!
• Mercury's Treads
• Berserker's Greaves
• Ninja Tabi
• Guardian Angel
• Randuin's Omen
• Sunfire Cape
• Trinity Force
• Wit's End
• Blade of the Ruined King
The Black Cleaver + Last Whisper : I don't recommend building either of these because you don't need armor penetration when you have true damage. "What about the Rammus with 400 armor?" you shouldn't even be aiming the tank to need armor penetration. Most of the time you will be aiming the squishies with little armor so you wouldn't need % armor penetration because it would be a waste.
Maw of the Malmortius : Build this if they have more than 1 AP Caster or their AP Caster got fed eg. Veigar, Diana
Banshee's Veil : Take into consideration if you need to build this item, its good against Karthus, Caitlyn and many other champs. You should build it if their AP Caster is doing extremely well or they have champs where you can spell shield their ultimates/spells.
Quicksilver Sash : Versing a Darius, Warwick, Malzahar or any other annoying champ Quicksilver Sash has all your answers to these cc heavy teams.
Frozen Mallet + Warmog's Armor + Atma's Impaler : Is a really good item combination, due to the lack of MR only build if they have 3-4 AD based champions.
Randuin's Omen : Great item against Heavy AD Teams.
The Bloodthirster : Although I rarely ever build this on Irelia I guess its a viable pick, feel free to go ahead and pick this up if you want even more sustain.
Ravenous Hydra : I personally have not picked up this item once, but I suppose it is a viable choice just like the The Bloodthirster
Olaf, Jax, Udyr, Renekton : All 4 of these pusseh destroyers outdamage you and trade far better then you do. HINT : DON'T TRY TO TRADE WITH THESE GUYS ITS GONNA HURT! Build a Philosopher's Stone, but most importantly let them push the wave into your tower and last hit there, that way if they try to harrass you, they'll take a turret shot or two to the face.
Darius, Yorick, Teemo, Malphite : These guys don't really counter you, they'll just give you a little bit a rough time if you don't play against them correctly. You'll be at a disadvantage for the first few levels but after level 7-8 you will wreck these guys unless you've given them kills and such. As before let them push into tower so you can farm with little harrassment and easier ganks.
Gangplank, Vladimir, Jayce, Nasus : Too easy to beat all of them. You out damage them, out sustain them all you gotta do is play smart, ward up and constantly harrass them and zone. If done correctly they will be too behind to be as useful as you in the mid/late game giving you the advantage.
Nocturne : I think Irelia pairs up with him pretty well, since they can both easily jump onto the enemy carry and demolish him before he can even autoattack. But its just my personal opinion.
Tips and Tricks
• Your Bladesurge applies your Hiten Style true damage, this means you AA and as soon as you do that Bladesurge him and then AA him again, you just hit him 3 times with Hiten Style in 2 seconds or less. Don't do this if don't have any wards or you're over extended for obvious reasons.
• Don't engage your opponent, let them engage you. Since your Equilibrium Strike only stuns if they opponent has higher % HP than you, if you engage you wont get the stun. If they engage chances are you will be able to stun and then activate Hiten Style hit them, Bladesurge and then hit once again then get out before they can react. They will have lost quite a bit of HP while you lost probably 70-80 max.
• If you are overextended and the jungler comes to gank you run into the lane bush and then Bladesurge back out to him. This will cause him to hesitate for a bit letting you gain distance which could save your life.
• DON'T save Flash for the very last second. Chances are they will probably kill you anyway. As soon as you see that you are at the risk of dying IMMEDIATELY Flash. It's better to use Flash than to give their jungle or possibly your lane opponent a kill setting you back. I've seen people save their flash because they think they can get away but they underestimate their opponents than flash when its too late and end up dying whilst wasting their flash.
• You can manipulate your Bladesurge as a gapcloser. If the enemy minion is low and the enemy champion is standing near it. Activate Hiten Style, Bladesurge to the low health minion then to the enemy champion. WOMBO COMBO!
Blue Side Warding
Some spots are better than others in certain situations such as whether you're Blue or Purple. Firstly I'll be looking at Blue side warding. The most common spot I always place my ward is just below top brush in the river.
The reason is because it gives you vision of the enemy jungler coming to gank you through tri-bush and also gives you vision on the enemy midlane if they decide to gank you. It's a reliable spot since 90% of midlaners and junglers gank from river.
The second area I usually ward is the tri-bush, since some junglers come from tri-bush this will give you vision of them and enable you to react before they even get close to lane.
Other places that are also good to ward to give you vision on the position of the enemy jungler are :
Purple Side Warding
When you're playing on Purple Side you can easily place 2 wards to make yourself ungankable. The first one should be at the enemys blue entrance. The second one you should ask your Middle Lane to place a ward in the bush leading into the enemy jungle. This gives you vision on the enemy jungler entering the river to come and gank you or midlane. Since you warded both entrances/exits he will NEVER be able to enter the top half of the river without revealing himself. Giving you the time to back off and wait for him to walk away in despair.
If you happen to be overextending then you are at risk of being ganked because you are an easy target. The jungler can either come from river or go through tri-bush and come behind you making your death almost certain. To counter this the two spots you should ward when overextending or pushing should be :
I just made this guide so I havn't been able to make content such as videos, pictures to help you guys understand how to play Irelia and to show my Tips and Tricks in action! I hope you guys have as much fun as I do playing Irelia! I will be adding more content and more detail.
Recently made no questions asked, just making a section in case :)
• 10/12/12 Fixed spelling mistakes and coding mistakes.
• 10/12/12 Added a warding section.