Build Guide by -Prowler-1
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
About Jax, Pros and Cons.
This is what I hope to become a quite extensive guide on Jax, the grandmaster at arms! But before you dive in to what will inevitably be a wall of text...you should probably know a few things. First of all, this is how I play Jax, this isn't the "Do or Die" way to play him. I'm putting it into words to help people new to, or stuggling with Jax. Hopefully I can help a few of you unlock the hidden potential in him, and help you achieve victory! I would suggest you read this guide fully, then simply use the cheatsheet(print it for easy access) while in-game if you so wish.
- Awesome damage output.
- Doesn't struggle with mana.
- One of the best 1v1's in the game.
- Low-cooldown stun.
- Free escape(leap).
- Free dodge chance.
- Good farmer/pusher.
- Squishy early game.
- Situational stun(not completely reliable).
- Relies on proper positioning.
- Can be difficult to master, depending on your playstle.
Runes, Masteries, and Summoner Spells
Runes and Masteries
Masteries and runes are above, they are pretty self-explanitory. You can really take whatever runes you want, those are just my suggestions. As masteries go, edit them depending on the summoner skill you take, otherwise I wouldn't touch them.
I prefer to take Exhaust and Ghost with Jax, however an escape mechanism like Flash is a another option if you don't like ghost. You could also take Ignite in place of Exhaust. Exhaust and Ghost is an awesome combo though.
- Exhaust - Great to ensure kills early, and late game.
- Ignite - Great early game damage, can't tell you how many times it's picked me up a kill.
- Flash - Awesome escape, and even a chase machanism.
- Ghost - Fantastic escape and chase meachanism.
- Cleanse - I don't think you'll need it to much, still a good spell though.
- Teleport - Great for map control or quickly assisting teammates.
- Revive - No, just no.
- Heal - You shouldnt need this.
- Clarity - You don't have mana issues, and if you do...somethings wrong.
- Clairvoyance - Can be of use, however this is best suited for the support/tank character.
- Fortify - Let the tank or a support take this, you need the slots for better spells.
This is the bread and butter of any Build/Guide, so lets just hope right in.
This is the core, the very basics of your build, the "nitty-gritty". You should always have these items, or be working towards getting them. This is the base of the build, and this guide.
From that point on, all your items are really situational, if your doing **** tons of damage, why not get more AP/AD? On the the other hand, if your getting destroyed...you might want more health. So below I'm going to list a bunch of good items for Jax, with a simple description of why. Easy stuff, just choose a couple and tack them onto the end of your build. However, most of the time I do go with the items that are at the top of this page in the "Champion Builder".
Ideal final Items:
- Literally everything you could every need, I almost always get this right after my core.
- Attack speed, AP, mana, and CDR, fantastic DPS item for Jax.
- Enemy team full of tanks? Buy this and destroy them!
- Enemy Jax or Master Yi? Take this! Dodge, what dodge?
- Fantastic item if your taking some physical damage and still want to output damage.
- Armour, mana, and cooldown reduction, always welcome when dealing with fed physical carries.
- Magic resist and health, also synergizes well with your ultimates active ability.
- Ability power, cooldown reduction, and a pecentage based damage active. A decent item, less desireable though.
Basic Tactics and Combo's
Jax is a fantastic farming character, though he can struggle early game with his lack of range dpending on the enemies in lane. Jax needs to focus on farming early, to work up enough gold for Guinsoo's Rageblade as early as possible. Once you have your Guinsoo's Rageblade, you can run around and gank before teamfights start.
Jax is fantastic at putting other champions out of their comfort zone. Jax can close the distance and deal HUGE damage, while a ranged champion struggles to defend themselves against this sort of attack. I play pretty passivly until level 6 or 7, it's then that I close the distance and hit them as hard as I can. You need to play it easy and mainly focus on farming. Feel free to have at the enemies if you feel you can win the fight, make sure to work with your lane-mate if you have one. Don't get to greedy though, and remember that even if you don't get the kill...atleast they are loosing out on EXP/Gold when they pill back to base.
Jax's basic combo is very simple.
- Empower it up
- Leap Strike to the enemy, and proc with empower for massive burst damage.
- Keeping DPS'em down from there, use Counter Strike and Empower whenever they come up, and save Leap Strike to chase in case they attempt to run.
- Remember to pop Relentless Assault's active if need be.
This is really basic, just junp with Empower and DPS'em down from there. This is very effective as during the fight your dodge will allow you to use Counter Strike to it's maxamime potential. The damage from Empower and Relentless Assault, will do most of the work.
Under Construction(I'll finish it soon, basics are here. I just want to add more advances stuff.)
Tips and Tricks
- Empower had a low CD and takes little mana, use it to last-hit!
- Always activate Empower, before you Leap Strike an enemy.
- Always try pick up the red buff, whenever possible.
- Exhaust doesn't just slow, it reduces all incoming damage. Use it to save yourself in a jam!
- Leap Strike can jump to teammates, wards, minions, ect. Use it to get away if your being chased.
- More to come! Feel free to post some in the comments if you have a good one.
And that's that, this is a very short guide as it stands now, but I will be expanding it over time. I hope you all enjoy'd reading, and I wish you luck with Jax, The Grandmaster at Arms!