Jax Build Guide by kingtaf
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hello, I'm King taf, here with my first guide on Mobafire. I have decided to make this guide as detailed as possible so anyone can have a read through this guide and see just how great of a champion Jax is and how he can bring game changing ability to the table. I started out as a rather inexperienced Jax player, using dreadful builds Therefore, I decided to dedicate months of hard work with my team and countless reading to find the perfect Jax build, playing style and how to make the enemy team scared to engage you. this guide contains the information about Jax gameplay and everything i have learned and tested . Some things may look silly or you might think " Why? Just why?.." but remember i have tested theses builds and game play style over about 300 games.
If you would like to add anything please let me know in the comments .
Pros / Cons
Pros / Cons
Pros+ Great gap closer / Escape Leap Strike
+ Low CD
+ Best offtank due to been able to benifit from tank items and still have high output damage.
+ Counter Strike Take no damage for a few seconds/ Also stun. + Easy to play.
+ Massive Damage output & able to off tank.
+ Fast Jungle clearing time.
Cons- Only CC is Counter Strike
- Weaker early game getting Grandmaster's Might helps heaps.
- CD's high early game
- Not very tanky untill late game
- Have to use items to get good sustain.
- Original skin uses a Lamppost as a weapon XD
- Hard to master!
So, who is Jax?
Jax is basically a off-tank who is built to deal significant sustained damage. He works as a Anti Cary and can turn fights into your teams favor if played and build right.
Things to note are;
- I will be focusing on the way I play Jax. Meaning it may not suit your play style.
- I will include more than one stratagy.
- He is not a FULL tank as i have seen many players build him to be.
Take a view of his Champion Spotlight
|I have used a more traditional Mastery build with Jax 21-9-0|
- Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage: I take this on post AD champions.Why? Well early game it will give us a boost of 6.75 AD to our Attack Damage. Combined with other run setup they will work off each other.
- Greater Mark of Armor Penetration: Armor pen runes will ignore the enemy Defense of up to 14.94, Allowing you to do more damage to a champion( With added damage through your Quints.)
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist:I have changed this over to magic resist . I did use Greater Glyph of Armor but this helps with them nuke champs. Greater Seal of Armor: Again, i wont repeat myself since i have just talked about it but with the added seals, this brings us up to 18.99 Extra Armour starting base.
CORE Items . WHY?
|Depending how the game is going, sometimes i will rush this instead of Trinity Force. Important item due to been able to slow the enemy champion & lifesteal. This added with your skill Counter Strike will be a massive problem to the opponent.|
|Main build item to Jaxx Bit of everything. Usually the main item rushed for him but as i have stated before, depending on the situation.Yes it has been nurft recently but i dont care what anyone says, its still very good item to build on Jax|
|Every off tanks dream! 1,000 health and 1% health regen ever 5 seconds. One of the best items in the game in my opinion as that health could be the difference in a team fight.|
Situational Items Explained
|This is a pritty good weapon on Jax. I do sometimes take it late game and get rid of wriggles lantern It adds another slow to your game.40% to attackers (30% ranged) for 1.5seconds|
|I don't use it much to be honest, i don't really see the point when you can take Frozen Mallet that Jax benifits from better. It does have it uses against a heavy damaging AD team though.|
|I take this item if the enemy team have high AP damage or more AP on the team.Great magic resist & Big boost of Hp.|
|Again, another item i wouldnt really use but with 100 Armour boost its worth noting down.Not only do you get a massive armour boost, 30% of the attack damage is returned to the attacker. Build this if your behind against a high damaged AD team.|
Skills & Information
- Relentless Assault: Basic attacks increase Jax's attack speed by 4% / 6% / 8% / 10% / 12% / 14%. Relentless Assault lasts for 2.5 seconds and stacks up to 6 times. This passive is great for Jax DPS. when fully stacked you will be busting out damage from autoattacks 14% Faster, incredibly useful for farming too.
- Leap strike (Q): Active: Jax leaps to target unit, dealing physical damage if the target is an enemy.Physical damage: 70 / 110 / 150 / 190 / 230 (+ 60% AP) (+ 100% bonus AD) "Q" is your gapcloser it allows you to jump to other champs , wards and minions. Combined with [[Counter strike] you can jump onto the enemy champion stunning him in place to deal alot of damage.
- Empower (W):Active: Jax's next basic attack or Leap Strike within the next 10 seconds deals additional magic damage. Empower resets the autoattack timer. Magic damage: 40 / 75 / 110 / 145 / 180 (+ 60% AP) "W" is your main damage Ability. Remember to engage when you got your passive stacked or nearly stacked it makes Jax attack speed OP.This skill should be MAXED first.If You can time pressing "W" right, you can get an extra hit.Video will be in the Tips & Tricks Chapter.
- Counter strike (E):Active: For up to 2 seconds, Jax dodges all basic attacks and takes 25% less damage from area of effect abilities. At the end of the duration or if Counter Strike is activated again, Jax deals physical damage and stuns nearby enemies for 1 second. This spell deals 20% additional damage for each attack dodged to a maximum of 100% increased damage.Physical damage: 50 / 75 / 100 / 125 / 150 (+ 50% bonus AD) Maximum damage: 100 / 150 / 200 / 250 / 300 (+ 100% bonus AD) "E" is important to Jax and should take a point first in it. Helps massive through the jungle run or in your lane since you cant take damage from Minions or Enemy Auto attacks.Also,when they hit you during Counter Strike they will receive higher damage from you when its over if they are in range. It also stun opponents near you. U can use it combined with your "Q" for jump and stun.
- Grandmaster's Might (R):Passive: Jax deals additional magic damage on every third basic attack. The counter will reset if he does not attack for 2.5 seconds. Magic damage: 100 / 160 / 220 (+ 70% AP) Active: Jax gains bonus armor and magic resist for 8 seconds.Armor bonus: 25 / 35 / 45 (+ 30% bonus AD)Magic resist bonus: 25 / 35 / 45 (+ 20% AP) "R" increases your defensive stats and damage output, i tend to activate this after i have used my "Q" & "E" combo and it has landed. Take care using this though because it is very useful to your team.
1) I always start Blue buff with Jax Ask for Smiteless for fast clearance. Remember your goal is to get to 6 asap.
4) Red buff, I usually hold back a few seconds in the bush to get half hp up, Use smite to finish off.
6) After you have finished this route, Choose to gank mid or bottom lane. What ever one is the hardest lane, I usually go bottom lane as you want your ADC to farm freely OR get that crucial kill. If your support is any good, Pink ward will be on river so it is clear for you to gank.
Ganking is on situations, I have highlighted the main "basic Routes ". I say Basic because im not taking in account Champions ability , for example Kha'Zix has leap and can use this over walls etc.
Thanks for viewing my First guide. Please don't just downvote it because of a mistake, if you find one please just leave a message and i will correct it.
I will be looking to improve this guide so i will be reading the messages left.
Hope you like my guide.
08/06/2013 - Guide went live.
09/06/2013 - Changed rune setup. Added Glyph of magic resist.
09/06/2013 - Changed from 22-8-0 set up to a 21-9-0. Mistake found.
04/07/2013 - Added Jungle guide .
04/07/2013 - Fixed some spelling mistakes.