Jayce Build Guide by Lancegram
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Jayce guide. This is my very first guide and understand that i am still learning. In other words im a NOOB. (But dont tell anyone about it, ok?) Anyway I am presenting one way to build Jayce. Enjoy!
Here is the champion spotlight video for general info:
Armed with wit, charm, and his signature transforming hammer, Jayce lives to protect his native Piltover. He rose to prominence as an inventor, one whose magnetic personality and innovative creations brightened the lives of his nation's people. However, his technological marvels also attracted the attention of Piltover's enemies. Viktor, the machine-augmented scientist from Zaun, staged a deadly raid on Jayce's laboratory, barely impeded by the lab's meager security force. Viktor stole designs for an arcane power converter. Jayce feared that Viktor would create weapons of devastating power with the stolen technology. He implored the Piltover government to respond, but the officials were unwilling to support an act of aggression. Refusing to allow his own inventions to threaten the people of Piltover, Jayce decided to strike back against Viktor himself.
Jayce returned to his laboratory and began making preparations for his one-man attack. After an intense period of research, development, and hands-on testing, he emerged. He had created an array of powerful armaments, including his crowning achievement – the versatile, transforming Mercury Hammer. Armed and ready, Jayce began his assault, easily smashing aside Viktor's acolytes as they rushed to stop him. Jayce fought his way into the heart of the lab and confronted Viktor, forcing the Zaunite to flee. After destroying Viktor's prototype weapon, Jayce returned to Piltover where he was hailed as a hero. He reveled in the adoration, but he knew that his actions had provoked the nation's enemies. Now devoted to the defense of his people, Jayce is Piltover's best hope for a bright future.
"Trust me: if we're smart, Piltover can stand strong against any threat. Hey, I'm living proof."
Pros / Cons
+is both a meele and a ranged champion
+can fit in every situation
+has both nuke and ks spells
+handsome... (ladies only!)
-squishy if he goes full damage build
-bad mid-time game
-hard to master the combos
-need balance between hammer and cannon form
For the masteries you will have to get:
- whatever a physical attacker would take: Brute Force , Deadliness for damage, Alacrity for attack speed, ect.
- and the Hardiness , Durability and Veteran's Scars combo in order to be able to survive meele encounters.
For the runes you will need:
- Flat attack damage marks ( Greater Mark of Attack Damage): because your main stat is DAMAGE.
- Flat armor seals ( Greater Seal of Armor): because you will need that extra armor for theese meele encounters and because you will need it even at lvl 1
- Magic resist per lvl ( Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist): because you will have to survive from that pesky Veigar who kicks your *** with his Primordial Burst and because the spells are becoming more and more deadly while the time passes and not at lvl 1
- Attack damage per lvl ( Greater Quintessence of Scaling Attack Damage): because again your main stat is DAMAGE, but since you have a base dmage boost from your masteries and runes you will need something extra as you level up.
My choices for summoner spells are definately Flash and Ignite.
- Flash is the best summoner spell available, because you can chase that Vladimir who sinks in his bloody pool and runs like a liitle girl or just blink over a wall and have your enemies asking: ''Where the hell did he go?''.
- Ignite because it is great when you realise that "OMFG I havent enough hp to kill this bastard" then you just pop Ignite and kill him while you are dead.
- Teleport can be considered an useful spell only when soloing at top. The only reason you might use it is when you have just recalled and you need go return to the battle really soon. Can be used to replace Flash
- Smite is only for junglers and it is a must for them. Replaces Ignite
- Exhaust is really effective for champs with no slows or stuns, but you HAVE them so why to waste it? Anyway if really want to take it, it can replace Ignite.
It is all the others:
- Ghost You have your speed boosts, you dont need more.
- Heal is for babies who cant control their hp pool in early game and get themselves killed by minions, but if you are new to LOL it can help you a lot.
- Revive Useless. If you want to Revive after a lost team fight where all your team is dead, you will just find yourself ganged from 5 champs. (And we all now what happens at 1v5, eh?)
- Surge usefull but it dosent guarantee you any kills and the extra AP is useless, too.
- Cleanse is a lifesaver but you will surely get debuffed again in a couple of seconds
- Clarity gives you mana... YOU DONT NEED ANY MORE MANA!!!!! Just swich to hammer and you can replace it all with a few strikes.
- Promote Useless. Does it guarantee you any kills? NO! So do you need it? NO!
- Clairvoyance /facepalm Come on now... Let the supports do this job.
Champion Spells - Ability Explanation - Tips and Tricks
||_______|| Hextech Capacitor(Passive): Every time you transform your weapon (when you press U) you gain a small (40 MS) and short (for 1.25 seconds) Movement Speed boost and ignore Unit Collision. Great for chasing and escaping and on a fairly short cooldown.
Tips and Tricks
||_______||To The Skies!: Jayce leaps to a target dealing 20/65/110/155/200(+1.0 per bonus attack damage) physical damage to all of them and also slowing them for 2 seconds for 30/35/40/45/50%. Cost: 40/45/50/55/60 mana. Cooldown: 16/14/12/10/8 seconds.This is your main damage ability.
Tips and Tricks
Shock Blast: Jayce fires an orb dealing 60/115/170/225/280(+1.2 per bonus attack damage) psysical damage to all nearby enemies upon impact or upon reaching the end of its path. Cost: 55/60/65/70/75 mana. Cooldown: 8 seconds. Again it is you main damage source and also a nuke.
Tips and Tricks
||_______||Lightning Field: (passive) Each time Jayce strikes an enemy while in hammer form he gains 6/8/10/12/14 mana. (active) Jayce creates a magical field around him dealing 100/170/240/310/380 (+1.0 per ability power) over 4 seconds. Cost: 40 mana Cooldown: 10 seconds.
Tips and Tricks
Hyper Charge: For his hext 3 attacks Jayce gains maximum attack speed. Theese attacks deal 70/85/100/115/130% of attack damage. Cost:40 mana. Cooldown: 14/12/10/8/6 seconds.
Tips and Tricks
||_______||Thundering Blow: Jayce strikes his target with his hammer dealing 40/70/100/130/160 (+1.0 per bonus attack damage) and 8/11/14/17/20% of the target's max hp as magic damage, knocking them back and stunning them. Cost: 40 mana. Cooldown: 14/13/12/11/10 seconds.
Tips and Tricks
Acceleration Gate: Jayce deploys a gate which increases the movement speed of allies by 30/35/40/45/50% for 3 seconds. Cost: 30 mana. Cooldown: 14/13/12/11/10 seconds.
Tips and Tricks
||_______||Mercury Hammmer: Jayce transforms his weapon into a Hammer gaining Meele attacks and 5/15/25/35 Bonus Armor and Magic Resist. Also his next attack will do 20/60/100/140 bonus magic damage. Cost: N/A. Cooldown: 6 seconds.
Tips and Tricks
Mercury cannon: Jayce transforms his weapon into a cannon gaining Ranged attacks. Also his next attack will reduce the enemy's Armor and Magic Resist by 10/15/20/25%. Cost: N/A. Cooldown: 6 seconds.
Tips and Tricks
- Mercury Cannon / Mercury Hammer as it is your ultimate and expands up to rank 4, you should always level it up at 6, 11 and 16 lvl.
- To The Skies! / Shock Blast is your main damage ability. It is the skill you will use the most, so that is why we max it out first.
- Lightning Field / Hyper Charge and Thundering Blow / Acceleration Gate are pretty equal with each other. But it is essential to reach rank 3 on Lightning Field / Hyper Charge first so that you do 3 full-damage-full-speed attack nothing more nothing less. After that you want to catch up with Thundering Blow / Acceleration Gate. Finally you might as well lvl them up equally.
This is the only alternative I can think and it is used if your ally steals your kills frequently. So, after you have hitted rank 3 on Lightning Field / Hyper Charge, you max out Thundering Blow / Acceleration Gate strait away.
Personally I always start with Doran's Blade. It is the best thing you can have at lvl 1: More HP to survive longer, some Life Steal to regain your health, and ofc some Damage.
But: if you need to go faster to your lane (when for instance someone says: "All come to bot for first blood!") or when you mid or face an assasin: ( Nocturne, Akali ect.), you will need to take the second option, for the speed and the heal ofc. Finally, if you chose the second option the next item you should buy is a Doran's Blade.
These are your core items: You can't replace them with anything. Why? Because you need the Attack Speed like a drug addict and Infinity Edge has all that you need as a physical damage dealer. Also, you shouldn't recall before being able to afford the Berserker's Greaves. Finally, it is better when you build Infinity Edge to start with the B. F. Sword.
These items must be bought approximately 12-18 mins after the battle begins. These items have all Jayce wants: Attack speed, Attack Damage, some Health and ofc that damned slow from Phage! The only alternative I can imagine is replacing Phage with Giant's Belt. I dont recomment it but if you are taking a lot of damage and dying often, you can start your Frozen Mallet that way.
These are the items you will be purchasing at the end of the game. Why?
- The Black Cleaver has Attack Damage and Attack Speed - both stats Jayce desperately needs - paired with this amesome Armor Reduction passive.
- Madred's Bloodrazor It is somewhat expensive but it adds some Attack Speed and Attack Damage, which is essential for a good Jayce and of course this icredible passive, which works better with highly fed tanks or specific champions (like Dr. Mundo), so if you encounter something like that, this item is a must. But if you dont or if you havent much money to spent, just skip it and move on (but keep Recurve Bow!!)
- Phantom Dancer is the item with the biggest Attack Speed boost on the game but it doesnt end there. The Critical Strike Chance if added to Infinity Edge gives you a 55% chace for your attacks to crit. The Movement Speed boost is essential if you want to outrun your enemy or even catching that mother****ing Teemo.
- Frozen Mallet perfect bonus Health, a little Attack Damage and THE SLOW. THE SLOW enables you to keep them pinned down while you **** them from behind. What else do you need?
- The Bloodthirster It is just an alternative that can be used to replace The Black Cleaver. BUT it doesnt give you any Attack Speed or any Armor Reduction. It can only be used when you find yourself not being able to engage in meele and only firing Shock Blasts from behind, you will enpower your these nukes even more.
- Ionic Spark has an absolutely great Attack Speed boost accompanied by its passive and some health. The passive is great for cleaning up minions and monster camps, it also helps dealing that little damage needed for killing that champion, who didnt die from your Thundering Blow / Acceleration Gate just by attacking the minion next to him. It can be used to replace Madred's Bloodrazor, but it cuts some Attack Damage. Finally only build it if Madred's Bloodrazor isnt needed (see above).
- Trinity Force Personally I have little experience on Jayce with such a build and every time I tried it, it ended a disastrus game for me. Anyway if you want to use this it replaces Frozen Mallet and Phantom Dancer and you must add something increasing your Attack Damage like a second Infinity Edge or a Maw of Malmortius. Finally, you have to wait these 2 seconds before activating any of your abilities, something that ruins your combos.
|_______||Ok everyone, Jayce is a particularly hard champion to master. I know I have said that before, but dont be discouraged! Anyway, the key to Jayce's success is the balance between the hammer and the cannon form. So firstly, lets summarise the pros and cons:
So as you see they are quite balanced. The different uses are these who will make you chose between them.
First of all here's a golden rule: Keep your weapon charged!! Before any fight you must make sure that your weapon has the buff from Mercury Cannon / Mercury Hammer on it.
BUT: you should never activate your ulti just before the fight because you spent your fisrt attack on some minions! So your second golden rule is: Never initiate with your ulti on cooldown!!.
The build I'm offering you is not on the tanky side: YOU ARE NOT A TANK DAMN IT!!!! So, you cant fight all the 5 seconds (this time is approximately needed at lvl 18 vs lvl 18 fights) only on hammer form! You will be surely wery low on hp to continue or even worse die! So try to weaken your enemie while on cannon form and finish him off at hammer form. Anyway your third golden rule is: Start the fight with cannon, finish it with hammer!!
In team fights your choise ought to be definately the cannon. You must not jump into the enemy team even if you are going to kill someone because unless you can Flash away, you will find yourself being in an orgy where 4 champs are ****ing you ignoring your allies. Your job is to weaken them with your Shock Blast while waiting for your tank to stop killing minions and attack the enemies. Finally, you should only switch to hammer if the enemy team is running low on health, if a hostile champ has seperated from the others and if they have chosen to retreat and you start chasing. So your fourth golden rule is: At teamfights your Cannon is your best friend!!
And because every rule has its BUT there is only one case you can initiate with hammer: When your TURRENT is being pushed. If you slow them and knock them back you will have some free attacks, because they cant afford to harm you under your turrent. After that you can transform into cannon and snipe them from behind. So your fifth rule is: Under turrent is reverse: fight with hamm kill with cann!!
Finally, the minions are your worst enemy, because they stop your skill shots! There is nothing more frusturating than a minion stopping your nuke-killingblow-killstealing Shock Blast! I often find myself yelling: "WHO THE HELL PLANTED THAT MINION THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. But if you are at hammer form these little bastards can be veeeeeeeery useful (see the ability section for more info). So your last goiden rule is: The minion is your hammer's best friend, but your cannon hates them!!
To sum up, here are your golden rules with which you can master your ulti:
|_______||I know I just said that the key to Jayce's success is the balance between the hammer and the cannon, but this was A BIG LIE! The real way is mastering the COMBOS and ofc this includes WHEN to cast them! So I will try and help you about that. And remember: if you ever find something extra i havent included just tell me, ok?
Anyway, because the way jayce plays in solo, duo vs duo, and team vs team is totally different I will separate them.
But first I want to list the combos:
1.(Base ranged combo) E and then Q: Start by entering the cannon stance, then deploy an Acceleration Gate towards the way you want to fire and then shoot an Shock Blast though it. This must be cast immidiately without letting your opponent hide or run away, so it is better to aim with your mouse before the cast and to something like that: E, click, Q, click, BOOM!
2.(Advanced ranged - meele combo) E and Q and W and R and R and Q and W and E: Start at cannon, cast combo #1 (see above), activate Hyper Charge, switch to hammer form, pass through the gate, leap to the enemy using To the Skies!, activate the Lightning Field, and as the enemies hp runs low (for the right time see the abilities section) cast the Thundering Blow. This combo should be lethal to almost enemies with lower than 60% health.
3.(Advanced meele - ranged combo) Q and W and E and R and W and E and Q: Start in hammer form and always locaded in a bush, leap to the enemy with To the Skies!, activate Lightning Field, when the effect ends cast Thundering Blow, switch to cannon, activate Hyper Charge, after these 3 strikes cast the combo #1 and pass trough the gate and start chasing if the enemy is not dead. This combo is very dangerous and only use this on a squishy or when one of your allies is being chased.
4.(Basic combo for gangs or defending turrents) E and W and Q and R and W and E and Q: Start in hammer form and by walking to your opponent, cast Thundering Blow and knock the enemy into your turrent or enemies, cast Lightning Field and remain as close as possible, cast To the Skies! if they try to escape or Flash away, switch to cannon form, activate Hyper Charge and finally after these 3 strikes cast the combo #1. This can be very effective in a gang but it totally exposes you when trying to walk to an enemy and it shouldnt be used on more than 1 enemy.
DUO VS DUO
As this is the case which will occur the most, it is by far easier to learn.
Fisrt of all you depent on your opponent: if he attacks you attack. But as much damage you can do you are not able to reduce the hp of a fleeing opponent from 100% to 0%. So what to do? Simply cast your combo #1 whenever you find a gap (a space between minions), but you must be aware that this will only last for 1 or 2 seconds! When your opponent desides to attack, stop doing anything else and cast combo #2 on the enemy he is attacking. Remember that you must take that kill!!! Anyway when a gang happens use combo #4 and try to find more opportunities to cast combo #3.
This particular case is really dangerous, especially when not expected (" A SUMMONER HAS DISCONNECTED!"). Still you can do really well if you are provided with frequent gangs or if you are facing 2 meeles. The only thing you can do is to cast combo #1 again and again. Also, you mustnt use combos #3 and #4 because it would be very dangerous. Finally, you should only use combo #2, if you are sure that you can kill both enemies or you can Flash away.
You are not a ****ing tank! So sit back there during poke wars (pre-fight time when everyone tries to hurt the enemy team with skill shots like your Shock Blast or other long range abilities) and fire your combo #1 at everyone!! When the fight begins dont hesitate like a moron tring to line up your combos and change stanses!! What can you do? Firstly pick a stance you will keep all the time (I know that it is against everything i have said so far, but unless you do so, you will end up with 0 kills and 5 assists). Anyway I strongly recomment hammer form. After that you should do your best to secure the kill. In hammer cast the #2 combo without the cannon part. In cannon just basic attack everyone and use Hyper Charge when an enemy runs low on health. Finally, if an enemy tries to flee with low health switch to cannon and snipe them with combo #1. You should only do that if there are no minions or enemy champoins in your way or any allies able to kill them faster than you (an Ezreal with his Trueshot Barrage ect.). To do such a thing you will propably need 3 seconds of a clean path with no obstacles between him and you. If you just cant dont try!!
I hope that you have enjoied it and that it will lead you to some very good games as Jayce. Anyway if you liked it tell your friends and if you disliked it tell me. (But first try and play some games before, eh?). Finally, I want to thank jhoijhoi and her guide on "How to make guides" (ofc you can read it here which helped me very much on how to write this guide. If you found it helpful dont forget to upvote my guide or +rep me.