Evelynn Build Guide by Jetinny
This build has been archived and is for historical display only.
PLEASE NOTE: This build has been archived by the author. They are no longer supporting nor updating this build and it may have become outdated. As such, voting and commenting have been disabled and it no longer appears in regular search results.
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
Hi everyone! I'm Jetinny, and this is my Evelynn guide. I've put a fair amount of work to make this the greatest guide that I can possibly make it, but please be tolerable because this is my first guide.
Evelynn is a very fun champion, despite what the general community says of her. After her nerf, it seems like no one even plays her anymore. The sad thing is that it's also very hard to play her in a real game, because people often queue dodge, and actually they have the right to. But, I'm here to prove that she is still very powerful with some knowledge and basic strategies.
Pros and Cons
+ Stealth champion
+ Very powerful after getting Sheen
+ Can kill anyone
+ Shreds decent amount of defenses
+ Very mobile
+ Very fun
+ Badass simply for playing her
- Extremely Squishy
- Hard to farm
- Kind of item dependent
- Hard to play and master
- Will lose when playing with noobs
- Oracle's Elixirs or Vision Wards
- Slightly expensive build
- Summoner's Wrath Pretty awsome, considering it boosts both of your summoner spells!
- Brute Force Little extra AD never hurt, didn't it? Helps with last hitting and such.
- Alacrity The extra attack speed will help reduce time to fully stack Malady and The Black Cleaver
- Sorcery The cd is nice to have, plus allows us to get Arcane Knowledge .
Most of the damage you will deal is magic, so this is a must.
- Good Hands You're an Evelynn. Expect to die.
- Improved Recall Not really needed, but gets you to base faster.
- Swiftness A MUST. Required to become very mobile to gank often.
- Greed When you're off ganking, you are getting gold without farming!
- Awareness You really need levels fast. A MUST.
- Sage Very nice synergy with Awareness and you will be getting many assists.
Greater Mark of Precision
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed
Greater Mark of Precision I use these generally because as Evelynn you will deal both types of damage.
Greater Mark of Magic Penetration Alternately you can use these because with this build most damage will be magic.
Greater Mark of Precision Or, if you like auto attacking enemies to death, these are for you.
Greater Seal of Armor Gives extra armor to survive early ganks or enemy aa(auto attacks).
greater seal of replenishment Evelynn gets really oom(out of mana) very easily. These will help a bit.
Greater Seal of Health You can also get a bit of health for more sustain in lane.
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist Helps survive early ganks.
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist If you like late game more than early game.
Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction The cooldown will allow you to spam your q more often!
Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed The more speed, the easier it is to get in between lanes.
Greater Quintessence of Precision Same reason as Mark of Hybrid Penetration.
Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage Aids in last hitting and more damage for Sheen procs.
These runes are only simple suggestions and should not be stricly followed, unless you wish. Please, please, PLEASE feel free to use whatever runes you wish, if it suits your style.
|SPACE||Ignite is a great spell that helps get that first blood. I take this because it shuts down some really annoying champs such as Sion, Vladimir, or Ahri. Plus the extra 5 ap and ad from Summoner's Wrath will help in a pinch. The great thing about this skill is that it does true damage, up to about 200 at level 18. To really make use of this skill then, is to use it at the beginning of your combo. I will write more about skill combos in a later section.||SPACE|
|SPACE||Exhaust is also great for Evelynn. The longer the enemy is within range of your q the deadlier. This spell also lowers the attack speed of the champion that you target, so using exhaust on an enemy Ashe would be smarter than on an enemy Ryze. Along with the mastery Summoner's Wrath , this also decreases the enemy armor and magic resist even further!!! AMAZING! Exhaust is also useful on those 1v1 scenarios against a Jax or Fiora. One thing you can do with this spell is when being chased, use it on the chaser. This will give you enough time to turn invisible. Then you can laugh at the enemy's face in /all chat!||SPACE|
|SPACE||Teleport is a really nice spell on Evelynn, considering you are playing on Summoner's Rift. With this, you are able to return to lane very quickly after recalling. However, the best perk I really like about this skill is the ability to easily backdoor and gank. Right after pressing your w, teleport to an ally minion in another lane. This will allow you to teleport there and stay invisible. However, if you teleport THEN w, you will cancel the teleport. Now, the enemy will see the animation for your Teleport, but they will not see anyone appear. It will seem as if you were about to teleport, but cancelled it. Then you can easily kill him as he continues to farm!!!||SPACE|
|SPACE||Now we come upon Flash, one of the most useful summoner spell in the whole game. Experienced players would know how to use this effectively, mostly in the form of flashing through walls. However, as Evelynn, you really don't have to do that. If the enemies are close by, you can increase the distance between you and them, giving you just enough time to turn invisible. You can then enjoy all of the raging the enemies send to you.||SPACE|
|SPACE||Ghost is a very basic spell. Use it and you will run faster and go though minions. Usually you would use this for the same reason as flash: to increase distance and give time for your stealth to turn on. When being chased, don't forget that you can go through minions and the enemy can't, unless they have Ghost as well, and use the minions as a sort of barrier to slow the enemy down, making them have to go around the minion while you go straight through them.||SPACE|
- Smite For jungling Evelynn. Yes, Evelynn can jungle, but this isn't a jungling guide.
- Clarity Good for newbies because they don't know how to handle their mana. Evelynn is a very mana dependent champion, so go ahead.
- Heal I don't think this is that good on Evelynn, mostly because you will die before you even get to press that summoner spell hotkey.
- Revive This is actually a controversial spell on Eve. I mean, you are going to die if you play her, but... I guess this is just on personal preference. Good on dominion and trolling.
- Clairvoyance Um... if you feel like supporting feel free.
- Surge Attack speed? AP? Decent, but ignite is much better.
- Cleanse You can't be stunned while invisible so it's kind of useless.
This is my general skill sequence when playing Evelynn. Simply put, get 2 points in your stealth early, then max out Ravage, your e, then focus on your q, Hate Spike. Of course, get points in your ultimate whenever possible, which is at levels 6, 11, and 16.
Also remember that this is a GUIDE, meaning it doesn't follow a strict format to be successful in game. Be sure to have some perspective in the game and make a skill sequence that you see fit. For example, do you not like the mere 20 seconds of stealth at level 4? Feel free to get another point into your Shadow Walk at level 5. After all this guide is only here to help you.
Here I will explain all of Evelynn's skills, what I think about them, and any possible tips and tricks that I have discovered or found online.
- Shadow Walk This is Evelynn's passive. It reduces damage by enemy minions by 50%. This means that this passive is completely useless when in the jungle. The only good point I find about this passive is that it helps with ganks. When ganking, you should initiate for you teammate, therefore tanking all of the minion aggro. That's about all the use for your passive. Good luck with one of the worst abilities in the whole game.
- Hate Spike This is Evelynn's q ability. It deals damage to the nearest enemy target and then a second target for 50% of the original damage. This skill has a VERY low cooldown, so prepare to spam that q key! Hate Spike will also be your main skill to proc your sheen, so use it sparingly after acquiring your sheen. Hate Spike deals meager damage, but with its low cooldown, you could probably deal about 100 damage within around 4 seconds of spamming it. Also, after using Shadow Walk, if you use this ability you can slow two enemies instead of one!
- Shadow Walk This is the skill that defines Evelynns. Without this skill Evelynn is nothing. This isn't her bread and butter skill, so don't max it out immediately. I believe that 20 seconds is good enough for a gank, though many people have different styles. If you do well with only 1 point in it, that's great. I found that if you press w, then right after press b, you will do a stealth recall! :D How awsome is that? It's even safer than recalling in a brush, and best of all you can do it anywhere. The best way to really take advantage of Shadow Walk is to start attacking BEHIND your target. Why? Because they will have to take extra time to go AROUND you, and meanwhile you will be damaging them so much they will have to do something drastic. So don't be that Eve that just appears in front of their face and they just walk away from you.
- Ravage This is the skill you want to max out first. It deals so much damage people get mindf*cked when you use it. With a 1:1 AP ratio, this is absolutely NOTHING to laugh about. That crazy ratio is the reason why many people choose to play AP Evelynn. Ravage is the reason why shredding Evelynn works. This REDUCES enemy armor and magic resist by 26, meaning that it CAN reduce enemy armor and magic resist BELOW ZERO!! How crazy is that! Not only are you doing true damage, but even more.
- Agony's Embrace This is Evelynn's ultimate. It's not a game changing ultimate like Nunu's Absolute Zero or Amumu's Curse of the Sad Mummy, but it's still an ultimate, and can have many uses. The main use for this skill is the bonus attack speed and movement speed. The attack speed is nice to input more damage with your Malady and also helps shred the enemy's armor and magic resist faster. The movement speed is very useful when your chasing, being chased, and running over to a team fight. Don't feel like you have to only use this skill in team fights. You using this skill on your way to the fight may actually prove to be a better move. Now, the passive that heals you is a VERY good thing. For one, you will be in charge of clean-up duty after a team fight, so find that one stray recalling and kill him. You might then have enough health to handle his teamates coming over to help him. Although it is a meager 300 health heal, don't underestimate it. League of Legends is one of the greatest strategy games I know, and if there's one thing I've learned, I've learned that small numbers lead to large successes. This is very true for Agony's Embrace. In a large teamfight, if you manage to get that pentakill, you will heal for 1500 health! That's actually a good chunk of your health. And after each kill or assist, this ability will refresh. Now, don't be a stupid Evelynn and use your ult RIGHT after it comes out of cooldown. If you do, you'll only refresh your first Agony's Embrace. To use this skill intelligently, you should wait until the last second of your first Agony's Embrace, and then use your ult again. This way, you will take advantage of the whole time usage of the spell, and you will be able to use your ult when you need to again.
This is my exact standard build for Evelynn. This is the backbone of most of my builds in game, so please don't leave a comment like: "OMG UR GUIDE SUKS I BUILT UR ITEM SEQUENCE AND FAILED" + downvote. Remember that this is a GUIDE.
Boots of Mobility
The Black Cleaver
I like starting out with standard Boots of Speed and 3 Health Potion. This way you can stay in lane longer with the pots and are able to easily dodge skillshots like Ezreal's Mystic Shot or Ahri's Orb of Deception. Also with more movement speed, you will be able to take advantage of using your Shadow Walk more. After getting a few cs and assists, immediately go for the Sapphire Crystal before the Amplifying Tome. Why? This way you have more mana to get MORE ASSISTS! That is pretty much your main source of gold. After that get your long awaited, all powerful Sheen. Then start working on your Malady.
After Malady you should be a real threat to the enemy team. You should be able to get more assists and if lucky, some kills in. Finish your Boots of Mobility and if you aren't doing very well (feeding) get that Guardian Angel early. Then you shouldn't be dying as much and start on your The Black Cleaver. I recommend getting that Dagger first, to help get damage in from your Malady, or b.f. sword if you have the gold.
By now the enemy team should fear you and have purchased that dreaded Oracle's Elixir. But that shouldn't stop you. Make them fear you ever so more by transforming that tiny Sheen we love so much into the deadly Trinity Force. If you feel like your ultimate doesn't give you the health you need, start building a Hextech Gunblade. I recommend purchasing the Bilgewater Cutlass first, so that your Sheen procs will deal more damage.
Here is the long awaited guide to farming, laning, and all that good stuff.
Laning Phase/Early Game
The early laning phase will be the most difficult for Evelynn. First of all, you have almost no damage output until you acquire your Sheen, and second, the enemy will do all they can to prevent you from farming. Most guides don't tell directly but the best lane to have Eve in is either top or bot. In top, you won't have assists but kills, and only if your laning opponent is stupid enough to actually die. You should farm by letting your opponent farm the first wave of minions. Stand nearby to get some experience if any opposing minions die. Then you can last hit safely near your tower.
If you are playing bot, then you should feed your ad carry by "ganking". As Eve, you will mindf*ck your opponents by entering a brush. They will think that you are trying to kill them. This is true in both ways. When they think they are safe, ping on the squishiest and least able to escape, turn invisible, and hit them. If successful, you would've gotten either assist or kill and now be able to farm safely due to the fact that that one guy left will fear the two of you. Rinse and repeat.
Although this is a guide to laning Evelynn, I honestly feel that the only place to play her is the jungle. I feel this way because of the following reasons:
- her amazing ganking potential(due to her stealth)
- forcing opponents to spend gold on Oracle's Elixir and Vision Wards
- she sucks at taking harass
After most people reach level 6, they start ganking other lanes. This is called the turn phase. This is where you, as Evelynn, will have the most fun. Here since most people will out of their lanes and focusing on their ganking victim, they will not be focusing on you or your laning partner(if you have one). Because of that, you will find that ganking after level 6 is super easy. You shouldn't really be farming-leave that job to your ad carry. Your job is to gank, gank, and gank some more. When you fail a gank, go into a brush, and when the enemy thinks they are safe, gank again. Make sure they are punished when they go out of position for that mere .5 seconds to get the last minion creep. So pretty much feed your teamates ever so much more.
If your opponents haven't surrendered yet, this is the phase that they will, or you will completely r*pe their nexus. Almost eveyone should almost be done with your build. As Evelynn this will probably mean having the following: Boots of Mobility, Sheen, Malady, and Guardian Angel. If you are sure there is going to be a big fight coming up, spend your remaining gold on the elixirs. Always buy elixirs late game after you have all 6 items. Even if your item slot is filled, when you buy an elixir, it will be used up automatically. In this phase, you can end it rather quickly. The enemy team should be clumped up in groups. Stealth, and find them. Then tell your teamates to initiate. The enemy team should be surprised because they thought they were the ones with the advantage. Ace them, and you win.
That's pretty much the basics of how to play Evelynn. If you are unsatisfied with these explanations, or if you would like to have a more in-depth report, feel free to drop a comment.
Evelynn is an extremely fun champion to play, and once you get that first kill, it'll feel really great because it was complete skill(or lucky more or less) because she is a hard champion to really get used to, unlike Ashe or Darius. Make sure if you want to try out this build, play Evelynn for a couple of games and get used to her. Don't come crying to me when you completely feed the entire enemy team and blame it on me. No, I'll only call you a noob. Seriously. Try me.
So this has been my Evelynn guide, my first guide, and it has been a very fun experience. please feel free to drop any comments or leave any suggestions you might have to improve this guide. Upvote if you found this guide any good, or at least inspired you to play Evelynn. Downvote if you feel absolutely necessary, but please don't troll. I will constantly try to improve this guide as much as I possibly can.
So thank you all for reading Jetinny's Guide to Shredding Evelynn!
Alternately you can play Sunfirecape Evelynn. Either way it's still great fun. Oh and the video abruptly ends at 3:30.
Well this is the end. It has been officially released that our favorite champion, Evelynn, is going to have a complete ability remake, making this guide completely unusable. You can still play around with this build, however it won't be as potent or powerful because Ravage is getting remade too. So this is the end to all Evelynn guides. It was really fun to make this guide and I'm very proud I did. I hope someone reads this... I will do another Evelynn guide possibly in the future.
June 11, 2012 Crazy idea to create an Evelynn guide.
June 12, 2012 Officially released "Jetinny's Guide to Shredding Evelynn," however incomplete.
June 13, 2012 *Worked on "Summoner's Spells"
*explained item purchases in "Item Sequence"
*added "Playing Evelynn" section
*added "End Notes" section
*officially completed guide (still trying to improve!! :D)
July 11, 2012 Added section, "The End"
Though jhoijhoi only for only a small thanks, I believe that she really deserves a big one. Without her my guide would've been complete sh*t and a sad thing to have read and look at. So BIG thanks to her. Everyone should see her other guides such as Ashe's to Ashes or Vindictive Vayne . For those who want to write very good guides, look at her Guide to Making Guides.