Wukong Build Guide by Pancakes N Bacon
Not Updated For Current Season
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
This is my first guide and it is on Wukong, The Monkey King. I decided to make this build because I was reading the forums to see if his jungle was viable and a lot of people said it was slow and not very good. I decided to try out his jungle and use the same route as Master Yi's and it is completely fine and in my opinion I would rather jungle with Wukong than lane with him.
Pros / Cons
- Great at ganking(even if it is just your e q combo it does a lot early game)
- Great at escaping after ganking
- He can launch to a target with Nimbus Strike multiple times so they can't get away
- His ult Cyclone helps your teammates catch up to you and keeps enemies there longer
- Jungle is a little slow in start(but it doesn't matter you will catch up)
Greater Mark of Desolation
Armor Pen Marks for late game
Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration
Mana Regen Seals for early jungle and so you can spam moves
You could probably swap out the Greater Seal of Scaling Mana Regeneration for Greater Seal of Armor, but for jungling I like to have the mana regen so I can use my abilities more often and jungle just a little bit faster.
Greater Glyph of Scaling Magic Resist
Magic Resist Glyphs for late game defense
These are very nice to have, especially late game. Having these runes makes it so you don't need to buy any magic resist items (assuming an ap carry doesn't get fed). At level 18 you will have 102 magic resist which is plenty considering Wukong's passive Stone Skin. With these runes and Wukong's passive he is sure to be protected the whole game.
Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed
Quints of Swiftness to keep up with anybody and keep them pinned down with Frozen Mallet
Why Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed? In my opinion one of the main jobs for the monkey king to do is to be able to catch up to an enemy with lower health, or just an enemy trying to get away, and keep them pinned down with Frozen Mallet. With more movement speed he is able to get in close enough to use Nimbus Strike and if needed use Cyclone for your team to catch up and secure the kill. If you think that he has enough movement speed without these then go ahead and use Greater Quintessence of Desolation, but I don't find these necessary because you have Crushing Blow which reduces their armor by 30% and you have greater mark of desolation already.
.....if I have to explain why you need Smite for jungling you should probably play the game a little more. :D
This is just better for ganking in general. You move 33% faster for 11.5 seconds which is amazing for ganking. Running into the lane with this catches them off guard and they don't have enough time to react. Unless they use a summoner spell like Flash or Ghost to get away from you or they Exhaust you, you will be attacking them for quite some time before they can get back to their turret.
Other Summoner Spell Options
With the need of Smite for jungling, you only have room for one more summoner spell and since ganking is necessary while jungling a lot of them are just out of the question. In my oppinion the only viable second spell to use could be out of these three...
- Ghost - Great for ganking and staying on your target for long periods of time. Also helps you catch up to an enemy on the run or helps you get away at high speeds.
- Exhaust - This could work since Nimbus Strike brings you to the enemy, but the duration of the slow is no where near as long as the duration of Ghost therefore I would not pick this spell.
- Flash - I would only pick this for an escape move and even then the monkey already has his move Decoy which is amazing for getting away therefore Flash isn't needed.
STAY AWAY FROM THESE SPELLS WHILE JUNGLING WITH WUKONG
Heal - N00B Spell
Revive - Another N00B spell, but if you plan on dying a lot go ahead haha.
Teleport - Only good if laning.
Fortify - Only tanks and support use this (and even then very rarely).
Clarity - Really not needed on almost every champion just because of clarity runes.
Ignite - You will do more damage auto-attacking them while running at them with ghost.
Rally - HAHAHA NEVER USE THIS ON ANYBODY, just awful
Clairvoyance - Leave it for support
Ghost is just over all the best choice to take while jungling with Wukong.
Start out by buying Cloth Armor and 3 Health Potion's. Then follow these steps...
1. Go to small golem camp. They will spawn at 1:40. Right when they spawn hit one with Nimbus Strike and Smite it right away. Also, activate a Health Potion as soon as you can. You will need this to keep decent health regeneration as you get hurt. Use Nimbus Strike as soon as it comes off cool-down every time. This will keep your attack speed up so you can kill it faster and not lose as much health.
2. Once you finish off the golem camp make sure to put a point in Crushing Blow and then head over to the wolves. On your way there activate another Health Potion, but make sure your first one is completely done. Nimbus Strike and Crushing Blow the big wolf as soon as you get there.
3. Once you are done with the wolf pack head on over to the wraiths. Smite should be up by now, if not it will be in a few seconds, so as soon as it is up Smite the big wraith and then Nimbus Strike and Crushing Blow the others. If you do this first run right you will only need to use the first 2 Health Potion's, but if you need to use the third one go ahead.
4. Teleport back to base and buy a Long Sword. Then go ahead and repeat steps 1-3 for a second time, but this time you will only need the one Health Potion and you should try ganking after doing the golem camp again. You should be level 4 and have Decoy. Even if the gank is small it still helps. With Wukong's Nimbus Strike Crushing Blow combo you will be able to put out serious damage for this level and get away almost unharmed with Decoy.
*. After your second run through the jungle you should have enough for Madred's Razors so you should teleport back buy it and another Health Potion and head on over to Blue Buff Golem. Do what you have been doing before and Smite it. After getting it go ahead and gank again or keep jungling.
*. Get Red Buff Lizard right after blue buff or after ganking. This buff is extremely useful with its slow and damage over time and will practically assure you a kill on the next gank by using Ghost and Cyclone to kill your enemies.
The rest of the game is just jungling, covering lanes, and ganking. It is also a good idea to put your ward down from Wriggle's Lantern in one of these two spots...
DragonDragon is a great place to put a ward because you can see movement of enemy champions from bottom lane to middle lane and you can see if the enemy is going for dragon and either start a fight or steal it. Dragon is a large amount of gold for your whole team and in the end can be a game changing thing.
Top Solo Lane BushSince your teammate is all alone in top lane it can be a good thing to put the ward here to help them. It lets them see enemies hiding in the bush or the other jungler coming to gank him and in the end could save his life, which can lead to them not feeding, and could save your top turret.