Zed Build Guide by LionRazz
Mastery Tree Is Outdated
WARNING: These masteries are still using the old tree and have not been updated to the new tree by the guide author. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
In-depth guide under Construction!
So, today i will be telling you how to play Zed and why you should pick this build :D !
Zed is a melee burster just like Pantheon and Talon, even through he is abit diffirent from those.
Zed is not only a burster. This guy can even play well with attack speed, even through i wont recommend it.
Zed can jungle, and eventually play solo top.
Credits to jhoijhoi for the template.
Pros / Cons
+ Great jungler
+ Awesome burst damage
+ Very strong late game
+ Looks awesome
- Not great against hp stackers
- Gets powerful at late game
- Weak early game/ganks
- Leona will make ur shadowy eyes hurt!
In this guide i have 2 builds, which means i should have 2 set of masteries, which i got.
Ill start off with jungle since the guide is primarily for jungling.
In this guide i have 2 builds, which means i should have 2 set of runes, which i got.
Ill start off with jungle since the guide is primarily for jungling.
- 9x greater mark of Desolation: Armor pen is always great on ad carries/ad off-tanks This makes you damage incredibly, especially early game.
- 9x Greater Glyph of Armor: Armor runes, this makes it easy for you to jungle. With these runes you can change your cloth armor for any item in the Wriggle's Lantern
- 5x Greater Seal of Magic Resist: Some mr is great if you get counter jungled, or fail ganked mid. You dont even have to fail gank mid, ganking mid can be though sometimes.
- 4x Greater Seal of Cooldown Reduction: SPAM SPAM SPAM! this rune will make you able to spam a little more!
- 3x Greater Quintessence of Attack Damage: Again as Greater mart of desolation, AD is awesome for early game. Extra AD is always welcome on Zed
- greater mark of desolation: Armor pen, Always great!
- Greater Seal of Armor: Some armor? ad champs can be though on Zed untill he got hp, therefor i recommend armor runes.
- Greater Glyph of Cooldown Reduction: Trust me on this one, CDR is awesome for Zed's Shadow Slash.
- greater quintessence of Desolation: AD is Always Welcome for Zed! You can change these runes for greater quitessence of Desolation if you think you should have some extra armor pen instead of AD.
Jungler summoner spells:
Smite: Smite makes your jungle go much faster, i will soon upload a video showing you how fast.
Ghost: Ghost is awesome for jungling, you will be all over the map with this spell. Use this spell to get around faster.
Exhaust: Exhaust is alternative. If you are a jungler who is very experienced you should pick this for easy ganks. I recommend this for experienced junglers only, cuz they know how to get around the map fast.
3x3 summoner spells:
Flash: i strongly recommend Flash for 3x3, no need for Ghost because of the small map. Flash can be used as escape mechanism or a follow up for a kill.
Ignite: Ignite Is pure damage summoner spell, i usually pick this just to finish off champions, or give some extra damage while bursting.
Exhaust: Exhaust is not my favorite spell, mainly because i always fail at using it, but i know alot of people rly know how to use this, and for those who knows how to use it, i recommend this spell.
Ability Sequence Order
Death Mark always has first priority, the lower cd on ultimate, the more confussion to the enemy.
Shadow Slash should be maxed around lvl 9, this will be your main damage source. Remember to spam Shadow Slash ALOT!
Max Living Shadow around lvl 13, its passive will grant u massive ad compared to other bursters.
Max Razor Shuriken as the last ability at lvl 18. Some people wont understand why i do this, this will be explained in Abilities explained! Just below this chapter.
- PASSIVE: This passive is excellent for jungling! Contempt for the Weak makes your basic attacks hit 6/8/10% of their maximum health, if the target is under 50% health. But of course you have to use it the right way!
How to use it correct: This passive is great for the small camps, use a Shadow Slash followed up by a basic hit on the smaller ones which activates his passive(usually).
- ABILITY ONE (Q): Razor shurikens is your ranged harassment, but as jungler you wont need ranged harassment. As a jungler will your Shadow Slash be your main source of damage.
This is the ability i max at level 18, and im gonna tell you why.
Your Living Shadow passively gives you 5/10/15/20/25% bonus ad which applies on your Razor Shuriken, in addition the base damage is kinda high. This means that your Razor Shuriken will get more damage everytime your level Living Shadow, Thats why you should max Razor Shuriken as the last if you jungle. If you wont jungle, balance Razor Shuriken and Living Shadow
- ABILITY TWO (W): Living shadows is Zed's sign, this is the thing that makes Zed, Zed. This ability mimics your Q and E abilities, in addition you can change place with your shadow once if you activate W another time after summoning it.
This ability is the one i max at level 13, mainly because its a great escape mechanism and gives you +25% bonus ad at level 5.
- ABILITY THREE (E): Shadow slash is your main source of damage, low cd and high damage! Shadow Slash will also be the ability you will start jungling with.
This ability is the one i max at levl 9, mainly because of its damage and low cd.
- ABILITY FOUR (R): Death mark is an utility ultimate, this makes Zed untargetable for a few seconds. This makes a shadow, this shadow does staack with Living Shadow which means when you burst with your ultimate you will have 2 shadows, and yourself. this is where it gets hard, if you have a calm mind you will be able to move around using your shadows as teleports. This will freak your foes out of their minds.
As for all ultimate you should level this every time you can 6/11/16.
Zed doesnt need blue buff, even through Crest of the ancient golem generates energy aswell as mana. But pick it up first, this will grant you faster jungling. The reason for faster jungle with blue buff is because you can spam your Shadow Slash and other abilties without lack of energy.
You start your first Health Potion here
Proceed towards wolves, here you just use Living Shadow while spamming your Shadow Slash
Now proceed to wraith camp and do the same. Pop another Health Potion
Now you can either choose to go for golem camp, or do the Lizard Elder .
When done jungling you should have about 2-0 health potions left depending on your jungle skills
Items for Jungle!
: This will help you with some more sustain while jungling early game. If your using Greater Seal of Armor you can change Cloth Armor into any other part from Wriggle's Lantern. I haven't tried Vampiric Scepter yet though, and i believe its harder to jungle with. Mainly because you wont do many basic hits.
- 5x : You will need this when jungling, trust me!
Early-Mid game items
: I pick these boots because u need some MR and tenacity. Stuns kills you. If you dont feel the way i do about Zed or playing against a heavy AD team, you can pick up Ninja's tabi instead of Mercury's Treads. You can also pick Berserker's Greaves even through i dont recommend this, this wont give you tenacity or armor/MR which is necessary for team fights.
- : Basic jungler item, this is used by many junglers except ap junglers, such as Diana. Remeber to ward baron or dragon with your Wriggle's Lantern's active.
Your position in Team fights
Zed's position in team fights is mainly to stay abit away from the teamfight, and then all of the sudden attack their ad carry or ap carry starting of using Death Mark with a quick follow up from Shadow Slash. If possible, put your Living Shadow within using Death Mark This will allow you to have 2 shadows active plus yourself. Razor Shuriken is only for quick bursting or last hitting foes, additionally it costs alot of energy.
In this guide you should've learned why to maw Razor Shuriken as the last ability.
You should've learned how to jungle probably with zed
You should've learned your position in team fights
You should've learned why Zed is much more awesome then Pantheon and Talon
Happy Hunting in the Jungle!