Udyr Build Guide by Destroyencio
Not Updated For Current Season
This guide has not yet been updated for the current season. Please keep this in mind while reading. You can see the most recently updated guides on the browse guides page.
Mid game items (CORE ITEMS):
Not Updated For Current Season
The masteries shown here are not yet updated for the current season, the guide author needs to set up the new masteries. As such, they will be different than the masteries you see in-game.
BEFORE STARTING: I'm not an english speaker but I'd studied a lot but my english won't be perfect ^_^
Hi all! This is my guide for playing with Udyr in the jungle with the priority of a good clearing in the jungle, counter jungling the enemy, and how to use him in team fights.
Before starting I hope you have already checked the notes of every part, but I will explain more the information and why I make the things as I do.
Pros and Cons
- Strong champ that can be tank and still making damage.
- Fast clear in the jungle.
- Good speed with Bear Stance and tankiness.
- Good sustain with Turtle Stance.
- Doesn't have a real Ultimate
- If they got hard slows like Nasus, Ashe, Sejuani it will be a hard game.
- He needs team work for being good.
To get a good tankiness for the jungle and good utility for the team, we will use 0/9/21 points in masteries.
DEFENSE TREE (9 POINTS)
- Summoner's Resolve (1/1): It's useful when you use Smite because you get 10 Extra Gold for every use. Maybe it seems to be low quantity of gold, but it works ;)
- Durability (4/4): Perfect for being a tank, extra HP is perfect for mid and late game where you need to hold.
- Tough Skin (2/2): Useful to hold in the jungle at early game.
- Hardiness (1/3): ¿2 points in armor? It are ok, you can put this point on Bladed Armor , but I don't like it because if you have to give a buff to a teammate you can steal it for accident (happened a lot of times :S).
- Veteran's Scars (1/1): 30 HP maybe seems to be a sh*t, but it's good for starting in the jungle, as more HP = more survability.
UTILITY TREE (21 POINTS)
- Summoner's Insight (1/1): Useful when you want to max the MS that you get from Ghost.
- Wanderer (3/3): Useful for good ganks when you enter in the lane.
- Improved Recall (1/1): Not the best pick, but good if you have to recall faster when you're in danger or someone of enemy team is doing backdoor. One second can save a game ;)
- Mastermind (3/3): Good for having Ghost faster.
- Runic Affinity (1/1): Having a buff for more time will be useful to don't get without mana at early game (With blue), and getting an extra damage + slow at ganks (With red), or random skirmishes that you can find.
- Vampirism (3/3): Good for sustain at jungle with the Phoenix Stance and Turtle Stance.
- Biscuiteer (1/1): Good if you run out of mana at early game.
- Explorer (1/1): Can be used with diferent ways: Stealing an enemy buff // Ward a zone for a possible early gank from the enemy // Taking an ambush to an enemy // Preventing an Invade
- Awareness (3/4): Used to don't get behind your teammates in LVL and EXP.
- Intelligence (4/4): Good for spam all the Stances faster, and using the passive Monkey's Agility
- Nimble (1/1): Just for getting more speed. With Udyr speed is essential, in therms of ganks, and in therms of initiating a team fight.
This are all the masteries! If someone has a question, ask in comments pls! =)
For this guide, we will use the standar runes on Udyr:
Greater Mark of Attack Speed
Greater Seal of Armor
Greater Glyph of Magic Resist
Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed
I will comment why those are the standar runes:
- Greater Mark of Attack Speed: For early lvls on jungle, can sustain with Turtle Stance and Vampirism , and you can spam the Third Attack from Phoenix Stance.
- Greater Seal of Armor: This is standar on every jungler for hold the creeps and survive.
- Greater Glyph of Magic Resist: Maybe you can use Glyphs of Scaling MR, but I like those, are cheaper and they worked very well with my game style.
- Greater Quintessence of Movement Speed: Perfect for getting more speed. Remember:
More Speed = More Succesful Ganks
This are all the runes! If someone has a question, ask in comments pls! =)
Time for the skill sequence! That's always the same, but it has a little exception that I will explain now.
You just have to upgrade Phoenix Stance for great clearing in jungle, and at lvl 2 use Turtle Stance if you want to stay in jungle since Lvl 4, or upgrade Bear Stance for an Early gank on a lane, but care! You won't have enough sustain if you make an early gank with Bear Stance, so think before acting ;)
Well, now we will see the items that you have to pick:
For start you have 3 options:
A) Boots of Speed Health Potion x4: Good for doing an early gank before doing Red and taking LvL 4, and also good for counter jungling.
B) Hunter's Machete Health Potion x5: Good start for having a fast clear in jungle and reaching LvL 4 early. Perfect if you're new in the jungle.
C) Cloth Armor Health Potion x5: Safe start for having a good hold in jungle, you will receive less damage, but then you won't clear as fast as B.
Build: This are the standar items on Udyr:
Spirit of the Ancient Golem
Locket of the Iron Solari
Talisman of Ascension
You should pick Locket of the Iron Solari and Shurelya's Reverie inclusive if support has it, it's useful and if you combine Shurelya's Reverie + Bear Stance + Ghost + Boots of Mobility no one will stop you, and you will scare the enemy team with that boost of speed, that's a little bit psycological, but is good for initiation too.
Viable Items: Items that you can take as 5th and 6th option:
Maw of Malmortius
ADVICE: I won't recommend you to pick Frozen Mallet or Warmog's Armor, you will have a lot of HP (and CC with FM), but you won't have enough defense and if the enemy ADC or other Bruisers as Fiora, Teemo, Tryndamere picks Blade of the Ruined King, or there'is someone with an %HP spell, you won't survive, so I recommend you to have enough defense before building more HP.
We only will take this spells: Ghost and Smite. Only this spells, you don't need others, cuz Smite is essential for Jungling and Ghost for ganks and initiate, and it works better than Flash. Exhaust isn't a bad summoner spell, but isn't so much viable with this modality. Ignite is useless for jungle. Clairvoyance isn't bad cuz you can help your team with vision, but I don't recommend, just use Ghost and Smite for this modality and it will be fine.
For ganking, I recommend you to gank Bottom as first, because support usually puts ward at 3:00, so making an early gank at Bottom it can be useful (I recommend you starting with Boots and 4 Potions, watch "Items" for more explanations), but It doesn't guarantee a kill, but if you can force him to burn his Flash down, and sometimes Barrier it can be useful for your ADC and Support playing aggresive and the others playing defensive. You can do the same on Middle and Top lanes, but Bottom a lot of times can carry a game ;).
For ganking, if enemy team gets Sight Ward you can buy Vision Ward and/or Oracle's Elixir (recommended if they got a Stealth in their team, champions like Wukong, Evelynn, Talon, Twitch, Rengar, etc.)
You can gank Top/Bottom through lane, if pushed from your part, and having an unexpected ambush to the enemy laner.
If all the lanes are winning, try to counter jungle (watch next Chapter "Counter Jungle") or helping lanes anyways.
If all the lanes are losing, you should camp a lane and try to finish the lane phase as fast as possible, and the best lane for this is Middle, because usually when Middle tower is lost the Lane Phase finishies, people will start moving and your team mates can farm their lanes with less pression and restoring the game.
I think this is the hardest thing, but well. If you want to counter jungle you should start stealing the enemy jungler's red/blue buff depending of the champ and where he will start. If are champs like Aatrox, Lee Sin, Dr. Mundo you can try to steal their Blue, and let one of the little creeps so they will loose EXP and time, or you can kill all the creeps, and then come 5 minutes later to steal it again, but you have to be fast for this and protect your own buffs, or counter jungle won't work well. And you can do the same with Red buff, if enemy jungler is mana dependant like Amumu, Sejuani, etc. you can stole their red and making them lossing time and EXP. Also if enemy jungler doesn't hold the jungle good at early game, try to ambush them and kill them when they're doing Red/Blue buff, so you will get an early kill and less pression to lanes because the enemy jungler will be F*cked Off :P
ADVICE: Trying to kill their jungler is safer with Tiger modality, with phoenix is better to stealing jungle.
Team fight time right? Ok, for this you should be the initiator, using the Bear Stance combined with Shurelya's Reverie and Ghost if possible. With this Boost of speed you will be unstoppable, but try to don't get separated of your team when initiating. Try to stun an squishy champ, if not just stun their tank and then focus their ADC, but care, if their got assasins like Akali, Kassadin, Evelynn or champs with Gap Closers or Dashes like Irelia, Fiora, Tryndamere, etc. be passive and protect your ADC with your Support ( Locket of the Iron Solari is perfect for protecting your ADC and the Bear Stance for the stun), and let the Bruisers / Casters / Assasins do their work. If they don't have this type of champs, you can be more aggresive and go trough their ADC to stun him and killing him faster with your team, but care, if the enemy team got AOE CC or hard CC like Taric, Nautilus, Riven, etc. don't go as Rambo and wait before they waste it, and then attack! Remeber: you're a tank so you have to hold tons of damage :P.
Well, that's all for this guide, I hope you like it and it could be useful for people who likes this Champion.
If you wanna play with me, my summoner name is: Destroyencio (from Europe West).
Remember to let a comment or ask me if you don't understand something or need help.
Have a nice day! =)