Karma Build Guide by DaBatman
Not Updated For Current Season
☯ Support Karma ☯
Not Updated For Current Season
A standart AP rune page for people who likes to go aggressive and poke the enemies till the point where they become too low and forced to recall pre 6. However, no gold income and lack in defence. With this you are going to have a strong early start, but may have difficulties with catching up to mid game if your lane isn't going that very well.
Alternative support rune page will be : 3 Greater Quintessence of Gold, 9 Greater Mark of Armor and 9 Greater Seal of Armor, 9 Greater Glyph of Ability Power. Brings in good gold income and early defence. That will make you however more item depended towards damage output. Choosing this makes you weak early game but will have no problems with getting into mid game.
Masteries are purely focused on defence and utility. In the defence tree you get reduced basic attack damage, health, armor and magic resist. From the utility, you are getting mana regen, and gold mainly.
On the other hand, if you pick support runes it can work well if you pick standard ap masteries. Buffing up your early damage. Although it is not recommended since you are going to lack in utility like movement speed, mana regen, item and summoner spells cooldown, but most importantly gold.
As usual for support, Flash and Exhaust are your top priority picks. Heal can also be something you might want to use sometimes.
I personally, don't use flash much, and therefore pick spells like Clarity and Clairvoyance instead. If i'm playing with friends, oh how much they hate me playing Karma, I pick Ignite.
If you know you aren't gonna use one spell, see if there is anything else you can take instead. Flash is not a must have, although so many people say so, it's more useful for those who has no escape or any kind of cc. Just a personal opinion.
P Gathering Fire
When you damaging an enemy, the cooldown of your R is reduced. People don't usually pay much attention towards it. It can be put to use though if you are playing aggressively, basic hitting enemy champions from time to time just to pull off that second from the cd.
Empowers the next ability. It is available at level one, which gives a nice opportunity to get an early kill during the pre 6 laning phase.
Q Inner Flame
Is a skill shot ability that when hits, deals splash damage and slows the enemies. Targeting a bunch of enemies standing together is a good option to hit them. If the enemy is hiding behind minions, hitting close standing minions or a single minions can also reach the enemy.
Turns into a skill shot that when flies its full range or hits something, turns into an AoE slow dealing good amount of damage that then explodes dealing damage again. Great early poke burst but as the game goes turns into a weapon of ks'ing, so be careful.
W Focused Resolve
Creates a kind of bond to the enemy, revealing them and damaging over time, few seconds later it breaks, stunning the enemy. Nice ability to engage with and also a good ability to secure the escape. You should remember to make use of the revealing part.
Does exactly the same as Focused Resolve, except it deals more damage and heals Karma. So there if you are down on hp, you might wanna use this instead of Q+R.
Shields a target, boosting up their speed for couple of seconds. Is a nice combination of defence and utility. That should be used more often than Q through out the entire game. Just try to remember you can dodge abilities if you time your shield correctly.
Shield all the nearby allies, at the same time exposes energy around them dealing magic damage and as always, speeds the team up. Perfect ability to use during the team fights as it doesn't just shields but also damages. Has much more use in close fights than the R+Q.
Skill Sequence and Combos
Most of the time you should pick up your Q. However if you are looking for an early engage, picking up W at level one and E / Q at level two depending on situation should bring good trades pre lvl 3.
Traditionally you should max your abilities like this:
R > Q > E/W*
* - if you need mobility and defence take Inspire, if you looking for engages take the Focused Resolve.
The pre lvl 3 engage works like this:
Activate your Mantra, bond yourself with an enemy by using Renewal and slow the enemy with Inner Flame or speed yourself up Inspire.
• Must warn your adc you are going in, so they can catch up with you and do some extra damage.
• If it goes successful, one or two of the enemy summoner spells will be burned.
• Dont do it to someone like Corki..
When you are trying to escape a single enemy:
Activate your Mantra, use Renewal on an enemy, wait till they are stunned and then use Inspire on yourself. If the enemy continues to run after you, hit them with your Inner Flame till they fall back.
• If you are escaping with someone else, keep Mantra for your E.
• Don't waste your Q if it's Master Yi, he will most likely get you anyway.
How to usually act during the (proper) team fight:
Use Focused Resolve on the enemy who deals most damage (which should be the main focus of the team in fights), once stunned activate Mantra and shield your team with Defiance.
• Don't waste Defiance if enemy team is not in range of the damage it explodes with.
• Best time to activate Defiance (if possible) is when enemies are using AoE abilities.
• Look out for Last Breath.
• Do not forget that you still have your summoner spells, Inner Flame and items (if you have).
• If you want sustain while staying in lane, pick the Ancient Coin+ 2 Mana Potion.
• If you are looking for an aggressive start, take one Health Potion+ Mana Potion and Spellthief's Edge.
• Starting with anything else may put you low on gold income
• Having a Stealth Ward and lvl 1 helps you with vision pre lvl 6 on lake.
• A fully levelled up golden item for a) gold and b) activate passive it gives you.
• Ruby Sightstone is a must have. Don't forget to use it.
• One damage item for better AP scales on your abilities.
• One defence item if also a must have, or else you are a walking cake.
• Any other item of your choice to fill in the full build depending on your lacks.
• Mercury's Treads if enemy have lot's of strong cc (be reasonable).
• Ninja Tabi if enemy has fed AD basic attack relying champions.
• Boots of Swiftness if enemy team had terrible long lasting, slows (at least two two).
• Ionian Boots of Lucidity if you are not satisfied with your cooldowns.
• Sorcerer's Shoes if you want more damage output.
• Morellonomicon because it gives cooldown reduction and mana (I used to pick Deathfire Grasp as a main source of bursting damage).
• Liandry's Torment if you are struggling with enemies MR.
• Rylai's Crystal Scepter, pick it if you feel like health is what you need.
• Zhonya's Hourglass if enemy team has an ability that you need to survive or just looking for armor.
• Locket of the Iron Solari if enemy team has strong AP bursters.
• Archangel's Staff for the mana and shield on late game that can safe your life.
• In fact, if your team lacks in utility, Zeke's Herald can be a considerable item.
• Twin Shadows if you feel like you need to catch up with someone.
I had a game with two supports. One was picked by accident. We did rubbish early game. But later the two supports began to ward and we had a huge advantage over the enemy team. Whole enemy jungles were lighted up because it wasn't just the supports who warded but the rest of the team too.
One hardly starts without another. So do remember to ward no matter what lane you are. It aint that hard.